Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 5

Onliuge

Aug 9, 2012
America is reading, The Fall of the Roman Empire.
Uk is reading, 1984.
Germany is reading the definition of hypocrisy over and over, yet still isn't getting it.

What a time to be alive.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Canadamus Prime said:
EDIT: Also my name is CANADAmus Prime. I am not a secret government organization from the DC universe.
That's exactly what a secret Government organization would say...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Silentpony said:
Canadamus Prime said:
EDIT: Also my name is CANADAmus Prime. I am not a secret government organization from the DC universe.
That's exactly what a secret Government organization would say...

Well I'm Canadian so I can't be a secret US government organization organization from the DC Universe.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Wait- is he saying that having competent NPC allies is a bad thing? I'd much rather have that than the opposite, even at the risk of having my actions trivialised a bit.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Looking back on it, I think the vast majority of Far Cry games have had depressing endings. "You've become too savage a thing to return to Western civilization" is their version of a happy ending.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Onliuge said:
America is reading, The Fall of the Roman Empire.
Uk is reading, 1984.
Germany is reading the definition of hypocrisy over and over, yet still isn't getting it.

What a time to be alive.
I've actually considered Romes arc from time to time against America's growth, and while the outlook is depressingly similar, we're still at a place in the timeline where things can either change, or it's so far away from the end of the Republic it won't matter. Because, you see, America hasn't had it's war with it's Carthage yet. That is to say, Russia.

Granted, that is going to be a very bad time to live in as a huge percentage of Romes population died during the Punic wars, particularly once Hannibal got going, and in this case the salting of the earth will probably be replaced with "cleanse in nuclear fire". However I take comfort in the fact we're still within the Republic Period, and while the use of Mob Tactics in politics has taken hold, violence does not yet rule.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Squilookle said:
Wait- is he saying that having competent NPC allies is a bad thing? I'd much rather have that than the opposite, even at the risk of having my actions trivialised a bit.
I think he was pointing out how useless it makes the player character feel, and dare I say it, the ludonarrative dissonance.
We're told the cult is super powerful, unstoppable, and that only you the hero can save the day.
Then Bill from the pizza joint and his dog Bongo storm a cult fortress and effortlessly take it back. Makes you wonder why only the hero can save the day, and what everyone else is doing.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW shit, son! Ben just slagged on Trump voters! Guess he's now an SJW games journo. Has Ian and Sargon been alerted yet?!

Osvaldas Daniulis

Mar 7, 2018
Venatio said:
Osvaldas Daniulis said:
So Yahtzee quite liked it? Oh boy finally a game I can download
Well yah, but bear in mind that all of the ending are a bit of a *MAJOR* pisser. Even more so than the "Stay on the Island Ending" of Far Cry 3, which I find far more upbeat than Far Cry 5's Endings.

Although I am a lonely man, so there could be other reasons why the Island ending is better than what you're left with at the end of 5.
Well the way Yahtzee spoke of the ending is the main reason why I want to play it, I haven't felt anything playing games for a while so maybe that depressing sounding ending will stick with me, plus I'm intrigued by how some people call it shitty and some just depressing. Eh it's farcry without climbing radio towers that's already worth a try.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The funny thing with the Cult is that (in the bit I played before it became a mess of barely playable trash) that there's no apparent backstory as to how they went from Joseph Seed to giant militia dragging people off and brainwashing them with super-magic-drug.

Like, there's an in-between step there where people had to have joined the Cult itself, and there's no acknowledgement of any attempt at reasoning. They just jumped to "Welp, brainwashed magic drug junkies" to half-assedly explain the enemy forces.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol. 4 covers nearly 1500 years so that is not very specific.
Also if you knew anything about Roman history you would know we most closely line up with the time of the Gracchi which is hundreds of years before the start of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol. 4 covers nearly 1500 years so that is not very specific.
Also if you knew anything about Roman history you would know we most closely line up with the time of the Gracchi which is hundreds of years before the start of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
Osvaldas Daniulis said:
Venatio said:
Osvaldas Daniulis said:
So Yahtzee quite liked it? Oh boy finally a game I can download
Well yah, but bear in mind that all of the ending are a bit of a *MAJOR* pisser. Even more so than the "Stay on the Island Ending" of Far Cry 3, which I find far more upbeat than Far Cry 5's Endings.

Although I am a lonely man, so there could be other reasons why the Island ending is better than what you're left with at the end of 5.
Well the way Yahtzee spoke of the ending is the main reason why I want to play it, I haven't felt anything playing games for a while so maybe that depressing sounding ending will stick with me, plus I'm intrigued by how some people call it shitty and some just depressing. Eh it's farcry without climbing radio towers that's already worth a try.
Well suit yourself. But if you really like "conflicted endings" then you should (if you have not already) play the Enderal Skyrim Overhaul. Don't let the description fool you, it's basically another game. You only need vanilla Skyrim, not Special Edition & no DLC at all. It is better than Skyrim in many, many ways. Just remember to save often and get ready for one heck of an ending that may leave you feeling drained.

I was frankly hoping that the other Far Cry games would get cheaper, but then I remember that I hate leaving Steam for Ubisoft's ridiculous service that I keep forgetting my password to.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
Venatio said:
As long as you respect Cow Bingo and Testical Festivals, all is well.
The Testical Festival quest was cute but oddly placed. Like here, lets cut off the balls of some bulls and eat them, while our friends are being tortured and mutilated literally just down the road, and then lets all get drunk and pass out, while an evil cult is, again, literally down the road waiting to attack the town.

Would have worked way better as a post-John Seed quest
If you cancel annual traditions because of current events, then the terrorists win.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
ccggenius12 said:
Silentpony said:
Venatio said:
As long as you respect Cow Bingo and Testical Festivals, all is well.
The Testical Festival quest was cute but oddly placed. Like here, lets cut off the balls of some bulls and eat them, while our friends are being tortured and mutilated literally just down the road, and then lets all get drunk and pass out, while an evil cult is, again, literally down the road waiting to attack the town.

Would have worked way better as a post-John Seed quest
If you cancel annual traditions because of current events, then the terrorists win.
Yeah but if the terrorists win, the terrorists win. And running around black out drunk isn't a great way to beat the terrorists.

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
I wrote a review from the perspective of a liberal rural voter: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2018/04/far-cry-5-review.html

Mind you, it's funny this game gets so much flack for not being a "challenging" game when it has probably the highest representation of diverse companions outside of Bioware. Black Olympic Christian sharpshooter, Redneck married to a Asian American with a biracial child, three action women who aren't love interests, sexually active over sixty heroine.

Oh and Hurk who, admittedly, removes most of those diversity points by being an argument against humanity.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Silentpony said:
Squilookle said:
I think he was pointing out how useless it makes the player character feel, and dare I say it, the ludonarrative dissonance.
We're told the cult is super powerful, unstoppable, and that only you the hero can save the day.
Then Bill from the pizza joint and his dog Bongo storm a cult fortress and effortlessly take it back. Makes you wonder why only the hero can save the day, and what everyone else is doing.
I getcha. Personally in this case I'd say the game's failing wouldn't be that two guys can storm a fortress, but that the game told me that the cult was virtually unstoppable. Better to ditch that one bit of dissonant description than a whole chunk of engaging gameplay.

After all, in the Battlefront/Battlefield games, you're just an insignificant cog in the machine of a larger army- and I'm perfectly fine with that. Especially because if you pull off something amazing in-game, you know it's because you did it, not because some ancient scroll just *says* you're the Great One or whatever.

Jan 27, 2011
Just finished it.

Overall, the game was pretty great. Still one step forward, one step back from 3, but overall, I enjoyed my time with it.

Until the ending, which I REALLY did not need to see right now.

I'm fine with bleak, downer endings. But "locked in a bunker alone with a murderous insane cult leader" is just one level too much. I didn't even get to shove Seed's BS in his face about how if he didn't cause/allow the kidnapping, ripping flesh off people, brainwashing, murdering the "Weak", brain-dead drug slaves, hanging people up on hooks with antlers and shit in their innards, etc...Then nobody would have come to arrest him, and I wouldn't have killed any of his family, and he could have lived in peace with them in their prepared bunkers. I'm just the bullet that killed his family, he's the one who pointed the gun at them and pulled the trigger.

If it would have ended with me and dutch alone in the bunker, I would have found the ending more palatable. Oh well, I can always imagine that my Deputy spent a few days grinding the handcuffs down on the bedpost and then snapping Seed's neck the moment he had the chance.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed my time with it. Seriously, Grace and Nick were some of the best party members I've had in a while. I still love Nick's "Welcome to strafe city, population Brat-a-tat-tat!" and his "Man, the only way to stop all this violence is with MORE violence! We can't live like this, man!"

Venatio said:
Well suit yourself. But if you really like "conflicted endings" then you should (if you have not already) play the Enderal Skyrim Overhaul. Don't let the description fool you, it's basically another game. You only need vanilla Skyrim, not Special Edition & no DLC at all. It is better than Skyrim in many, many ways.
I've heard great things about it, but never got around to it because I'm not done my (now years old) latest run of the game.

Question, am I supposed to go into it with a new character, or not?

Because if I'm supposed to go in with a new character, I might just go ahead and do that, since I probably lost my save files in the computer reformat and I'm not likely to want to go back to my unfinished playthrough (even though I REALLY wish I could finish that one specific Intersting NPC questline so my heroine Kahjiit can finally romance Amun-La The Swamp Knight and give them both a happy ending)

Edit: Wound up downloading the mod and I'm sad they don't have a cat-person equivalent. :(