Zero Punctuation: Far Cry Primal

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
...I'm now wondering if there will ever be a game based off the Digital Trips from Watch_Dogs.
Seriously, I think there could be something neat they could do with some of the concepts they made in that.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, Yahtzee doesn't understand the appeal of a new game and storyline set in an already beloved universe just because it looks and plays like the original?

Erm... ok.

Does DLC confuse, arouse, then confuse him all over again?

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
I think the idea with Far Cry Primal might have been that usually people try to scrap around in the sandbox and even forget about the story missions.

(At least there's a crowd that does this, I'm assuming this because I don't have special snowflake syndrome and it's what I do in these kind of games ever since AC3.)

But I can see how that leaves someone looking for story sort of distraught.

Did it at least play like a somewhat fun game?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Politrukk said:
Did it at least play like a somewhat fun game?
Going by what I heard, the game's concept seems to be FC4's equivalent to FC3's Blood Dragon if you took out everything that made Blood Dragon so much fun and novel.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Lightknight said:
Wait, Yahtzee doesn't understand the appeal of a new game and storyline set in an already beloved universe just because it looks and plays like the original?

Erm... ok.

If the game is inferior to the original then there is no reason to play the new one (As is very much the case here). New setting and story line don't really do anything when it comes to replay value. Its literally just playing an inferior version and very often just comes across as an unfun experience.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
gonenow3 said:
Lightknight said:

Erm... ok.

If the game is inferior to the original then there is no reason to play the new one (As is very much the case here). New setting and story line don't really do anything when it comes to replay value. Its literally just playing an inferior version and very often just comes across as an unfun experience.
Yeah, there's really no point to something if it just changes the wallpaper without addressing issues from the previous titles or at least doing something new with the formula to enhance the gameplay experience. The only time the wallpaper change was fine was during Far Cry: Blood Dragon's wacky antics. In fact it's time Ubisoft just bite the bullet and make a Blood Dragon sequel.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
Thanatos2k said:
Wait, cavemen have bombs? Really?
I know, right? That would kinda pull you out of the immersion right there. What would even go into them to make them explode in that era?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
So, what I'm hearing is Ubisoft basically said to the gamer "Here's some rocks, here's some sticks, and here's some high resolution textures. Now, you figure out whether there's a game in here somewhere". Is that about right?

Sometimes, it feels like about the only thing Triple-A game companies have gotten truly good at is creating high-resolution textures and high-polygon-count models such to cause electronic hardware to achieve high temperatures during rendering. Everything else, i.e. gameplay, game mechanics, story, controls, level-design, art-direction, pacing, UI, and construction of a consistent, coherent, and cohesive experience, seems to have languished over the years (and, in some rare cases, have actually reversed in progression).

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Is it too much to ask for a DLC costume that makes me look like Captain Caveman.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Being that this game had zero plot where you had to take out the other two tribes, I wonder if it would have been better if they had indepth tribe mechanics and village building. So you could invest in your tribe, train them and take them with you on missions. An maybe you yourself had to build the village similar to Fallout 4. Hunt for food etc and make you more invested in your tribe and want them to survive.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
What's really hilarious is that an ad for this game played before the episode. I got to go from one screaming troop of monkeys saying "THIS GAME IS AHMAHZAH!!!!!" to one disgruntled monkey saying the game is boring and shitty.

I like hearing both sides of an argument. :3

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Being that this game had zero plot where you had to take out the other two tribes, I wonder if it would have been better if they had indepth tribe mechanics and village building. So you could invest in your tribe, train them and take them with you on missions. An maybe you yourself had to build the village similar to Fallout 4. Hunt for food etc and make you more invested in your tribe and want them to survive.
That would require actual thought on the part of the development team, and remember: this is Ubisoft we're dealing with.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Politrukk said:
I think the idea with Far Cry Primal might have been that usually people try to scrap around in the sandbox and even forget about the story missions.
Isnt that one of the reasons why Mount and Blade is so great? But I do remember some very poor reviews because the game lacked focus.

And honestly, I have been playing Far Cry 4 and I have all the towers and outposts done for the first area and still havent done a mission after gaining access to it.