Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 2

goggzilla

Jan 28, 2009
i gotta defend 2 things:

1. the way the whole Don's wife thing ends up isn't mentioned, and i think that was a pretty strong moment in the game.

2. the whole bit about running around the old army research base i'd think its pretty safe to guess that that is where the locus come from (i.e. they were created by us) and will be fleshed out in the 3rd and final game.

Still a funny review as always and it does point out some of the games problems.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Hamster at Dawn said:
This review reflects my thoughts on the game exactly. Even with all its flaws, Gears of War 2 is an enjoyable game. I personally only play in coop though because, as mentioned, the AI is useless and will sometimes run out and get killed thus forcing you to reload a checkpoint.
See I didn't really 'get' this part. I never found the A.I. to be terrible or nonsensical (compared to other squad-y shooter games). I suppose I got a little pissed off at how Dom would charge into the middle of battle and get downed right away, but as long as it had little bearing on my own side of the fight I didn't much care. And if I went down, they always picked me up pronto.

If you play co-op, though, and then return to that savegame later in single player, Dom will still be equipped with whatever weapon your co-op guy was last using. In my case it was the boomshot, and Dom developed a disturbingly suicidal track record with that thing. Firing it point-blank into the waist-high walls and so forth.

Uh... so maybe Yahtzee was right.

legolas23

Jul 21, 2004
The bit that had me in stitches was:

Tv: Shoot these guys.

Yahtzee: Why?

Tv: They look weird.

Yahtzee: Fair enough.

I was surprised because, like many others, I thought he'd do nothing but bash the game at every end...Nice to see he balanced it out.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Woo, Will Smith!
Again, glad to see some review elements, but not quite back up to the actual review standard of early-mid 2008.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
I couldn't agree more with this review.
GOW had a bad, cliched, and inconsistent plot, but it was so fun to play that it was still an overall good game.

Its also nice to see him have a definitive statement on his opinions, rather then the dodgy rants that he has been going on lately.

the farkinator

Nov 6, 2008
I really loved this game, and it really made me laugh a whole lot more than many of his later works perhaps due to nostalgia factor.

Oh and nice crack on Will Smith at the end there
=)

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Yay! The triple-cunted hooker is back. This was definetely funnier than last week. BTW, Yahtzee's right. Will Smith is a walking ball of charisma. He can make almost anything popular.
This has to be the first review where I have no idea what was Yahtzee's recommendation about the game.

-bladerunner-

Dec 22, 2008
I loved the game overall but somehow yet again you twist my arm and make me agree with the bad points you mentioned!

ljaysmith

Jan 15, 2009
Or because will smith is in it. Quality. :) i dont hate gears , but at the same time dont like it. A saw fence sitter. But oh well doms wife is a dead **** :DD

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
D_987 said:
Wow, Yahtzee actually liked it...very true with the whole "Chest high walls" part, I never thought about it like that.
Yeah, me neither.

Good ZP this week. Especially the "Yeah, let's go with that. F*** YOU CLIFFY B!" rationalle.

ntnimara

Oct 3, 2008
liked the last words

the accent was alright I guess..

to be honest.. I've never heard a South African accent.. so... I can't really have a say :p

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
CHEST HIGH WALLS.
Although good for Yahtzee for finding a mainstream game good. He's getting weaker. :D

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Hes right you knowm If one can ignore the horrible story line, which has little point exept for kinda hinting at where the locust came from, the actual gameplay is nice, and the different locals are pretty good

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I really liked Gears of War 2, but I'm glad he pointed out the conveniently placed chest-high walls (that and all the testosterone that cracked up me and my friends). It was kind of odd, but we weren't complaining, haha.