Zero Punctuation: God of War III

The Iconnorclast

Mar 31, 2010
I noticed a change in his voice, but otherwise great review as always, just the voice kinda put me off, I prefer Yahtzee when it sounds like hes screaming into a mic.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:
Seems a tad unenthusiastic. Almost as though opening a bar in a major Australian metropolitan area may somehow be draining.

Anywho, at the risk of attracting replies from kneejerking GoW fans, personally I was bored of GoW when I was bored of Devil May Cry. GoW-III may be "fun," but (from the other 3 1/2 minutes Yahtzee was talking) sounds like it's lacking in worthwhile substance.
Lacking in worthwhile substance? I hope you realize that that particular charge can be plausibly leveled at most video games in existence.
Speak of the devil.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Consistency certainly doesn't seem to be Yahtzee's strong point.
Yes, because it's completely unreasonable for a person to have two minds about anything.

(Note to confused onlookers or Mods-who-feel-they-can't-get-through-the-day-without-slapping-somebody-with-a-probation: I'm being short with A1 for a reason. I've a long history explaining to him why it is that Yahtzee can have a definite negative opinion while expressing a positive note as a counterpoint at some part of his reviews, especially on the subject of certain PS3 games. These explanations have fallen on deaf ears in every attempt, he's absolutely adamant that Yahtzee won't be clear, even in the face of articles where he's attempted to clarify, and I've neither the time nor willpower to try again.)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Well shit the bed. He liked it.

SextusMaximus said:
You can't complain that a game has TOO MUCH variety... Ah well.
You can, the original Ninja Gaiden on the xbox had a vast array of weapons. None of which were as useful as the starting sword you were used too and had been spending your points upgrading. Variety for the sake of variety is "meh".

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
SextusMaximus said:
I'm starting to grow weary of all the hate... I understand you want to please your fans, but now you're just nitpicking! You can't complain that a game has TOO MUCH variety... Ah well.
I might be getting into semantics, but I would suppose you shouldn't complain about a game having too much variety, can't isn't the right word, because he definitely DID.

I would have to agree though, if there are items and weapons that are superfluous why have them, and I think that's the point he's trying to get at. If I already have pointy object A that's attached to a chain, why do I need pointy objects B and C that are also attached to chains, especially if A, B, and C all perform nearly the same function.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
SonicKoala said:
They got banned for responding to the video before they'd finished watching it - it essentially just boils down to a bunch of people wanting to yell "first" on the forums, which isn't taken kindly here. Notice how their posts were all around 9:02, when the video was posted at 9:00 and was 5 minutes long. Yeah, don't do that =D
if that ' s the case he's just another "hairy bum" lol

and in the end(ing) the imp wins again! (such succedors)

Tetranitrophenol

Apr 4, 2010
minnerva said:
wait a minute, that didn't sounded like yatzee at all. what is going on here >.> <.<
I think Yathzee has a sore throat from working at the Mana bar (or God knows for what other reason). Altho he sounds suspiciously similar to what he sounded like in his first videos.

BigDonTheDJ

Jan 27, 2010
I rather enjoyed the bit calmer than usual. Of course I also think it was an appropriate game for that to happen with. It's not a bad game. The series is fun to play. It's like some sort of timing (karma *cough*) lined up at just the right time for this review.

goatmilk

Apr 8, 2010
Loved the voice. I dunno if anyone has been around since the beginning with the very first review of The Darkness. This was basically his original voice, without all the yelling and stuff. And I really enjoy his old reviews. I liked that he was calm and just talked fast. Fantastic review, truly a return to form for Yahtzee.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
A1 said:
Mcface said:
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:
Seems a tad unenthusiastic. Almost as though opening a bar in a major Australian metropolitan area may somehow be draining.

Anywho, at the risk of attracting replies from kneejerking GoW fans, personally I was bored of GoW when I was bored of Devil May Cry. GoW-III may be "fun," but (from the other 3 1/2 minutes Yahtzee was talking) sounds like it's lacking in worthwhile substance.

Lacking in worthwhile substance? I hope you realize that that particular charge can be plausibly leveled at most video games in existence.

If you haven't already seen it this video points out a number of interesting things but what I'm referring to specifically this time around is when he says "right now about 95% of the video games in the world......" near the beginning of the video.

http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-fun-isn-t-enough-142052.phtml

But of course Yahtzee probably wouldn't be one to agree with the video as a whole. In his review of Saints Row 2 Yahtzee strongly implies that fun is all that's needed in a game. Of course this also makes his petty God of War 3 nitpicking all the more odd. But then again I've said it before and I'll say it again. Consistency certainly doesn't seem to be Yahtzee's strong point.
As if it's impossible to like a game where you drive around in a huge varity of cars, use a varity of weapons, customize yourself in hundredes of different ways blowing people to hell, and dislike a hack and slash game?

Don't split hairs. Mindless fun is still mindless fun. Does it really matter where it comes from?

And Yahtzee certainly doesn't dislike God of War 3.
If mindless fun is more mindless than fun, it is different.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
yourbeliefs said:
A somewhat bland review not helped by his sickness affecting his voice, but is rather accurate in the sense that Kratos does seem to take this whole revenge thing a LITTLE too seriously, and thus is harder to relate to his plight. I'm still working through the game but I've killed about 3 Gods and now the seas are flooding, the sun is gone, and vegetation is dying. And when one of the Gods who is really innocent in all of this brings up the fact that his quest is ruining the world, Kratos proceeds to break said God's neck. It still is a fun game that every PS3 owner should experience, but the feeling that you're fighting for the best cause that was there in 1 and 2 (destroying Ares to save Olympus and to eliminate your nightmares, getting revenge on the Gods after they betray you) is lost in this. Really be ready to check your brain at the door, but you'll still have tons of fun.
Not to sound like I'm flaming or anything, since I have to wonder to myself if I can word this in such a way that it won't come off like that, but I find it a little funny and kind of "meta" to come off sounding like you're reviewing a .. review.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
geldonyetich said:
A1 said:
geldonyetich said:

Speak of the devil.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Consistency certainly doesn't seem to be Yahtzee's strong point.
Yes, because it's completely unreasonable for a person to have two minds about anything.

(Note to confused onlookers or Mods-who-feel-they-can't-get-through-the-day-without-slapping-somebody-with-a-probation: I'm being short with A1 for a reason. I've a long history explaining to him why it is that Yahtzee can have a definite negative opinion while expressing a positive note as a counterpoint at some part of his reviews, especially on the subject of certain PS3 games. These explanations have fallen on deaf ears in every attempt, he's absolutely adamant that Yahtzee won't be clear, even in the face of articles where he's attempted to clarify, and I've neither the time nor willpower to try again.)

So it's completely unreasonable for someone to be consistent I guess.

And the main problem is that you've been trying to explain things and clarify things. But you really have no right to do that.

Such explanations are not yours to give. Such clarifications are not yours to make. That's why they don't hold any real weight. This is Yahtzee's opinion so only he can do those things.

And exactly what "articles" would those be?

And another thing is you at one point described yourself as a "tireless rebutter". What happened with that interesting declaration?

PatternWolf

Mar 26, 2010
I agree with him on the story goes. Gameplay is great. Playing an anti-hero is one thing. But Kratos' murder spree starts getting a little ridiculous. It seems like he's going out of his way to murder things. He's more cartoonishly vicious now.

Also, does anyone else wonder why in god of war 2 he didn't simply just (spoiler warnings) use the sisters time travel thing to go back in time to save his family, as opposed to bringing back the titans to destroy the gods. I know, its because we won't have god of war 3, but I hate time travel because of these kind of loopholes.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'm kind of surprised you didn't make any comments about almost absurdly well-rendered titties, but I suppose that would've been too obvious?

Or perhaps it was such a tiny part of the game that it didn't even bare mentioning...

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
Sounds like he's got a sore throat or a cold.

He didn't drop the "Like God of War but" bomb this time... I wonder why...

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Another great review. But I gotta say, it was still a highly enjoyable and fun game. Not perfect, because of course nothing's perfect, and definitely not even close to perfect, but it was just...fun.