Zero Punctuation: Grand Theft Auto IV

I Mav I

May 7, 2008
Excellent review...practically everything he pointed out were the things i noticed...except the slow beginning...i can't say i had a problem with that...

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Well I'm glad to see a much more fair review of this game, and surprisingly it came from Yahtzee.

Not really much else to say seeing as that this is an hour after it was posted and everyone here is just gonna register an account, and then post "LOLOL, NICE ONE! REGISTERED JUST TO SAY THAT LOLOL! [quote from review] LOLOL!"

thisnameok

Jan 18, 2008
Alphavillain said:
I see my pleading with Mr.Crowshaw to review this game has paid off...or else he ignored me and did it anyways. Who cares? The best GTA review I've read/seen.
I hope i am to dull to see that was a joke, i think everybody wanted him to review this game, like he said in the "mailbag showdown" at the end he "needed more time to review GTAIV"

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Great review Yahtzee, the bit about the trees vs lamposts was great.

This is pritty much what I was expecting from the review. I don't have the game yet (ive got my GCSEs right now so I'm waiting until there over) but from what everyone has been saying, and the fact that the vast magority of people on my friends list have gone back to playing CoD4's god dam multiplayer, I had a feeling the game wasn't as good as the last one.

Making friends? Watching TV? Is this GTA or the Sims? If I wanted to watch tv i'd...well...I'd go watch tv.

Im still getting the game at the end of the day. You can't really beat the satisfying, if slightly phycotic feeling of shagging a hooker then stomping on her face and taking your money back. Its all the more satisfying when you've got GTA waiting for you when you get back.

Tanthalos

Mar 25, 2008
In my opinion the biggest tribute he gave this game was the fact that it took two weeks to review and he stated once the review was over he was going to go back and play it more. That right there was enough to get me to rent it at least.

Anavrin224

Mar 26, 2008
Great review as always. You're so right about Niko looking like a Combine Resistance NPC! However I genuinely enjoyed going out with the characters, seeing Katie drunk was probably one of the funniest moments of the game. It also gave me a chance to change my first impressions are certain characters such as Packie, because the more you go out with him, the more you learn about his family and everything, I thought that was neat. However I agree 100% about the new wanted system being far too easy. Again, great review!

Spindrifter

Oct 5, 2007
I agree that the series was more fun when it was less realistic, but I'm going to give this one a try. The improved shooting controls and the cover system help.

Thanks, Yahtzee! Will your panel appearance be recorded so that the non-Aussies can watch?

Sagecat

Jan 31, 2008
I don't know if I enjoy the new ZP video each week; or, clicking on the comments link to see how many people got banned at the beginning of the thread ^_-

In any event, I really did enjoy this weeks ZP. I'm shocked to hear the Yahtzee is going to play GTA4 after the review. There must really be a good game in there. I guess the flood of 10s from every review site on the net should have clued me in to that fact. Though, I really do like to wait to see what Yahtzee has to say when the hype meter for a game is off the charts.

Scarpy

May 10, 2008
I find it quite stupid and strange how these first-post obsessives can post 2 mins after the video is released, when the video is 4 minutes long. Great work again Yahtz. AND Most people who post first seem to be banned.

SpiralEater

May 7, 2008
GTA IV is great, but it is lacking A LOT of elements that I enjoyed a lot from San Andreas. I disagree that the realism factor is not a bad direction for the GTA franchise, but in contrast, video games are to escape reality and having unrealistic ethics and freedom is always a great time. I think that's why Crackdown is so much fun.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Great review, can't really fault his critisms, although if you turn the contast up, it'll let you see the enemys in the dark good.

And I noted with a grin the fact that he's still playing it even after his review and thats 'a first for him'

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Here here! Good to see there is a reviewer who hasn't swallowed the GTA IV kool-aid yet.

Duckz

May 14, 2008
This must have been a far harder review for you to write, since your basically repeating what every reviewer / hardcore gamer who has to pick out flaws in everything no matter how good it is and make massive posts on a forum telling us all how great he is and how shit the game is, but still was good, just not as fresh as your others.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
I must say that this is one good review he gave. He didn't bash and crush the game (like he did SSBB wich was still funny), pointed out the flaws of the game, and said that it's still good even tough it has really annoying issues with "reality". I guess Rockstar is just trying to, impress more fans of the GTA series by making it more real-life as possibel. But we can see that this isn't a good move. And I have to say that the tutorial levels, are getting REALLY annoying, more over there just pointless and delaying. Even if you didn't play any GTA games, you could learn all the stuff from like playing all other games (driver, Reservoir Dogs an etc.), so the tutorial levels are undeeded, they were good in GTA:SA, since we had some new stuff that we didn't know from previous games. But now they are just pointless

All in all, pretty good review Yathzee

Pancake-Bandit

Sep 13, 2007
Great review.

I think the thing that's most striking is how much the whole "dating sim" aspect reminds me of Persona 3, except you aren't powering your psychic-mutant-death monsters, so there's no real reason for it.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Some things missing from GTA: SA, besides from the points you make in the review, some of which I agree with completely.

Easily still one of the best games for the xbox.

Andrenavarro

Apr 28, 2008
I consider GTA IV to be one of the best games I've ever played - not THE best because of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - , but the review was perfect. Congrats, Yahtzee, excellent work.