Zero Punctuation: Guitar Hero III

ShadokatRegn

Dec 6, 2007
That review was so colorful and full of mental images I'm not sure I needed, but am grateful for none the less.

Abbadiel

Oct 15, 2007
fundude365 said:
Tom Morello is more of a legend of rock than anyone posting on this thread will ever be... especially Yahtzee!

He just said Slash was more of a legend of rock than Tom Morello, which is the case, since Slash was with Guns n' Roses.

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
Abbadiel said:
fundude365 said:
Tom Morello is more of a legend of rock than anyone posting on this thread will ever be... especially Yahtzee!

He just said Slash was more of a legend of rock than Tom Morello, which is the case, since Slash was with Guns n' Roses.
Nope... he said if "Tom Morello was a Legend of Rock then a Grilled Cheese Sandwich was Haut Cuisine". Everyone I've ever met, or am ever likely to meet, has at least some experience of Rage Against the Machine if only for 'Guerilla Radio' found on the Soundtrack for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and I think many of us can agree that it was the best song present there. In my opinion his 'Jam' song was the wrong option... 'Know Your Enemy' is a far more interesting experience than 'Bulls on Parade' for the guitarist.

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
I was fairly decent at GH2. I made it all the way through expert, but only got 3's on the last set or two and never made it through Jordan on Expert. GH3 on hard reminds me of GH2 on expert, or at least the last few sets on expert. I did finally make it through Raining Blood and the Lou battle on hard and have made it up to that set on expert but really got sick of the stupid shit they pull to make the songs more complex. They add extra complexity to songs that aren't even that difficult to play in the first place just because they want to ramp up the challenge (Slipknot, I'm looking at you).

A positive for the game though is the vast number of master tracks instead of covers. If there was a master track available for a song they got it, and in a couple cases got the original band to re-record the song.

I actually prefer this set list more than the previous 2 (Rock of the 80's can burn in the fires of hell for all I care, I hate that version). The hammer ons and pull offs are much easier to accomplish, the guitar that comes with it is vastly superior to all its previous iterations and any new competitors. They took out some characters, Clive being one and my friend mourns the loss of Pandora as well. Really they should have gone the Rock Band route and let you make custom characters, its not all that complex and it isn't like the rest of the game is that complicated to make. Maybe just have some presets made so that you can create your favorite old GH characters if you wanted to.

I've played both GH3 and Rock Band a fair amount. If you don't have a group of friends and you only really want to play pretend guitar then GH3 is the game to play. The guitar work in Rock Band feels as stiff as the original GH did. However if you have a group of friends then Rock Band is where its at, the world tour mode is just a blast, creating your own rockers is great fun and wailing on that drum kit never gets old (assuming the equipment doesn't break in 2 days like it has been for 80% of the people who've dished out the $170 US for it.)

Rock on.

And yes rhizic, you are the only one who things GH sucks.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Guitar hero is a game I'd expect from PopCap if they had the energy to create a plastic guitar. It's fun, I mean really really fun, for a while and then it sort of drops off really really quickly once you start getting tired of it.

At least that's how it is for me ~~

Castar

Dec 12, 2007
Cliffs of Dover! Man, if you could by any means rock more than you already did, you do so now. That song rocks so hard it's just impossible and the only other place I'd seen it before aside from my own personal music collection was nowhere. So ROCK POINTS FOR YAHTZEE!

Also your review was good.

Brodel2

Dec 12, 2007
@am i the only person on the planet that think GH sucks?

No, not by a long shot. It's DDR for your fingers.

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
And yeah rhizic... GH is great... even for those with better things to do than spend all their time getting to FUCKING expert, like having sex with girls.

You are the only one.

Even my Girlfriend plays it.

And her best friend.

Who is also a Girl.

FatCatLim

Dec 12, 2007
I like Guitar Hero III and I guess I can be considered a freak for being able to beat Hard mode and go all the way to the last set of songs in Expert mode...but even I've to admit that the extreme difficulty for the last set of songs in Expert mode is just sadistic. Blood Rain is just bullshit on Expert mode and to this day, it's taunting me for not being able to pass it.

I loved the previous Guitar Hero series because even though the songs were hard, they were still quite passable and when you passed Expert mode, you really felt a sense of accomplishment. Now it just feels kinda mean to set the bar up so high that only a select few can actually pass the damn mode.

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
samir_nayanajaad said:
At fundude 365 you should watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4

have done... all true... and Yahtzee is not Stephen Fry, we are perfectly allowed to question him... And of course Rage Against the Machine are just a band, but they're also the first choice for any rabble rouser who wants to stir discontent against an establishment for a probably legitimate reason (U.S. Government have learned fuck all since Vietnam... RATM just happen to be a good outlet for my rage when the world appears to be turning into a steaming pile of bullshit)