Zero Punctuation: Half-Life

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
That was really unexpected, and I found it quite enjoyable. Especially that line at the end. That made me smile.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Now that made my day. I must say I enjoy the retrospectives more than some of modern title reviews.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Mortamus said:
Now that made my day. I must say I enjoy the retrospectives more than some of modern title reviews.
because alot of games today are shit :p

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
One of the best vids you made thus far Yahtzee,well done good sir,well done!

I have forgotten the day where I laughed so much.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Excellent game, i didn't finish it because the version i got from steam kept crashing every five minutes but i still liked it a lot.
I actually liked the jumping puzzles too, it gave a sense of desperation and vulnerability, even if they were quite frustrating but lots of rocket jumping practice in tf2 has made crouch jumping second nature :D

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
This also brings to mind a quote from the Prince of Persia retrospective about what happens when you take one good thing and ruin it:

"Never stick your dick in a pudding. It might still be good pudding, and you could spend all day explaining that but no ones going to eat it, because you STUCK YOUR DICK IN IT."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
IDK, I was never able to get into Half-Life. I've only briefly played it once at a friend's place. Maybe I should go back and give it another try sometime.

Also thanks so much for that image Yahtzee. >__<

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
To answer your question, Yatzee, I think Freeman is regarded as an icon in the Half-Life universe just for surviving all the shit went down in the original game. We're playing an incredibly resourceful and intelligent person who managed to see the end of a disaster before suddenly disappearing off the face of the planet.

I'd, frankly, hail anyone who pulled something like that off as the next Jesus.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
i actually liked the first half like over the second. i felt it had better pacing

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, I found the "Freemans Mind" Version of Gordon most interesting - he simply declares that everyone else went crazy and that the universe tries to kill him for no reason other than being "awesome".

Also, there might be some glad to hear (yes, I am talking to you two guys) and several who might forgot about "Black Mesa", the fan-made remake, featuring an enhanched version of Half Life without chaning much of the basic gameplay (Health Pick ups, no iron sight except for the Revolver, better visuals,...) without sacrificing anything what was good.
There was even recently a leak of a video of a very recent build of the mod (4 to 5 weeks old). It has been taken down from YT since then, but someone else downloaded it beforehand and uploaded it. You can get it here [http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showpost.php?p=474349&postcount=545]. (Check the rest of that threat to find a Q&A about that video a bit earlier on)

And yes, HL1 did age well except visually. Nobody can really deny that it looks pretty bad nowerdays (but there are worse looking games, which came later), even the HD Models kind of save it a bit from looking like absolute ass.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Azex said:
Mortamus said:
because alot of games today are shit :p

OT: This got me thinking, I never finished half life 1 as a teen, should be interesting to do the same thing as Yahtzee and see if it holds up.