Zero Punctuation: Half-Life

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
We weren't blinded by Nostalgia
We were blinded by SCIENCE!
<youtube=3fI8834iCgo>
And Thomas Dolby is blinded by his own fucking stupidity.
Guy honestly believes the world is flat...

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Matthew Swircenski said:
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
jmarquiso said:
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
To answer your question, Yatzee, I think Freeman is regarded as an icon in the Half-Life universe just for surviving all the shit went down in the original game. We're playing an incredibly resourceful and intelligent person who managed to see the end of a disaster before suddenly disappearing off the face of the planet.

I'd, frankly, hail anyone who pulled something like that off as the next Jesus.
Techincally, so did Breen, and he's regarded as the almighty Judas.
I think we're onto something here.
That's because Breen sold out.
Well, so did Gordon, albeit he was forced...

At the end of the day, Breen and Freeman are just working for different alien agencies. Breen for the Combine, Freeman for whatever the G-Man's agency is. It's just that the latter's goals are much friendlier for the human population.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
I played Half Life for about half an hour or so. I rode the long boring train ride in, I messed about with the broken machine then I started doing jumping puzzles and just thought fuck it, I'm bored with this now.

Well at least I got a few laughs out of Yahtzee's review.
Practically every game AAA copies Halflife's "boring train" and other Halflife elements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EODbHVySFWM&feature=plcp

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ah, the old classic. It wouldn't be appropriate for Yahtzee to do all of these retro-reviews and not do one for the titular title that influenced so much since it's release.

RJ Dalton said:
You know, the only thing that ever bothers me doing replays of old games is your ladder complaint. That really annoys me.
But other than that, the jumping bits really don't bother me at all. I've always been very good at them and I'm one of the very few freaks who actually enjoyed Xen. And the older graphics don't bother me in the slightest. I notice the difference, obviously, but they don't bother me or make me constantly think about them.
And here I thought I was alone.

I too quite enjoyed Xen and it's affiliated level designs. The jumping bits were never hard, and I liked the completely alien feeling of the world. It was an almost shocking departure from the dark, military-industrial look of the rest of the game.

I especially loved exploring every little nook and cranny of Xen, looking for little easter-eggs and other interesting tid-bits.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Ummm. Metroid Prime? The series did just get murdered last year and you did say it had good shooting compensation. Not the best compliment ever I admit.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
You know it's weird, I hear so much praise for Half Life 2, but I never really hear much about the first game.

I might actually play that game someday, if I ever get a desktop. I guess I technically could play the game on a laptop considering how old it is, but I don't really trust my laptop right now. Lately it seems like it's just barely running TF2 at a decent framerate.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
scorptatious said:
You know it's weird, I hear so much praise for Half Life 2, but I never really hear much about the first game.

I might actually play that game someday, if I ever get a desktop. I guess I technically could play the game on a laptop considering how old it is, but I don't really trust my laptop right now. Lately it seems like it's just barely running TF2 at a decent framerate.
If you can run TF2, even with a crappy framerate, you can definitely run Half-Life at maximum settings. The game is 14 years old, after all.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Vigormortis said:
And here I thought I was alone.

I too quite enjoyed Xen and it's affiliated level designs. The jumping bits were never hard, and I liked the completely alien feeling of the world. It was an almost shocking departure from the dark, military-industrial look of the rest of the game.

I especially loved exploring every little nook and cranny of Xen, looking for little easter-eggs and other interesting tid-bits.
That's what I loved about Xen, too. I guess if you suck at jumping sections, then it's going to be a pain, but since I was always good at those, it never bothered me.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yep, HL is still one of the best FPS around. it has its flaws, true. you have to jump around a lot, thats actually true as well. but i still enjoy this game tremendously.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
malestrithe said:
I don't blame Watchmen for ruining the 90s, I blame the Dark Knight Returns for that.

Watchmen added a complex narrative structure that only appeared in comics in the early 2000s.
Too true. Could you elaborate more on that early 2000's part? Could it have to do with Grant Morrison's New X-Men or his JLA work?
Neither. Grant Morrison was a part of it, but he was not the only one that did it. It was all the late 90s/early 2000s writers, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Judd Winnick, Mark Millar, and so on, all developed a form of storytelling that was different than what came before it. This style owes its existence to Watchmen and Longbow Hunters, the overlooked 3rd important work.

There are exceptions, but in general, new characters in the 90s were either Batman, Wolverine or the Punisher.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
...Seriously Yahtzee? You did Half Life this week? Well, I guess there was nothing good to review this- Oh wait there was KINGDOM HEARTS DREAM DROP DISTANCE FOR THE NINTENDO 3DS THAT YOU COULD HAVE REVIEWED THIS WEEK!!! Yahtzee, you have been dodging Kingdom Hearts games for years! Since you have mentioned Kingdom Hearts in your reviews several times in the past, why not dig into their newest game!?!?!

Oh and Portal series > Half Life series. This is a rare case of spinoff game series being better than main series. Deal with it.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Odd. An honest review of Half-Life from the most cynical game reviewer on earth and not even a token mention of Xen? Far be it from me to tell him how to do his job but come on. That's like reviewing The Phantom Menace without mentioning Jar Jar Binks.

And does anyone else expect/hope next week's video to cover Half-Life 2? It's almost as revered as the original (certainly by him considering he's mentioned it far more in his other reviews) and he didn't even mention it here like he did with the Thief sequels or Invisible War, so I can't help but suspect that's the plan. I'll be pretty disappointed if it isn't.

bigdork said:
I got half-life when it came out in the Orange Box, and got bored in the first hour. It seemed very linear and the graphics looked bad. Portal more than made up for it, though.
Half-Life was never in the Orange Box. You must have played Half-Life 2, and if you thought the graphics of that game were bad enough to complain about only three years after its release, there is no help for you.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
You know, I've always had this nagging suspicion that Half Life 2 wasn't as good at Half Life 1. That the first game was actually really cool and the second one felt forced and schizophrenic.

After watching this review I kinda understand why.

Like Yahtzee said, Half Life 1 is a game where you decide your level of immersion. Gordon can be either the Doom level kill gun spree guy or the Final Fantasy level story guy... With kill gun spree moments.

Half Life 2 didn't have that option. You are very much forced to be a part of the story. It's much less subtle. Plus, having everyone regard you as a Jesus-like figure is... Well... Forced! There's no level of immersion here. You have to go through the story whether you like it or not.

Plus, with Half Life 1 trying new and interesting things with the shooter genre, (giving it a well-told story, including jumping puzzles, being more "realistic" than the average shooter, including tactical mercenaries alongside crazy aliens and monsters) Half Life 2 felt like it needed to try a bunch of new things as well. Vehicle sections, survival horror sections, stealth sections, RTS sections, and again had to include a military opposition alongside an alien one.

Half Life 2 isn't bad, but it is not nearly as good as HL1. It feels like a game that tried to do everything it's predecessor did. Granted, it was still fun and still had a lot of creativity behind it, but it's obsession with "innovation" was in the end, the part that made it fall short for me.

Good review!

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Never really got why people loved this one so much. I find it somewhat boring and i can´t really agree that the story works in any way. Back in the day i loved First person shooters (and i still do, Blood and Doom are still highly entertaining games) but Half-Life changed everything from fun to boring. Might have enjoyed it more if the visual style and setting was more interesting or if the feel wasn´t so flat. And i really hated the segments where you fight against soldiers.

But then again, i can´t really see why Valve is so highly regarded, just really don´t like their style, their games seems about as exciting as MS Excel to me. Not exactly a popular opinion, but oh well^^.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
What would that make Barney, Kleiner, and Vance? I find Vance the most amazing, as everything that went on in the first game was like a horror movie, and he was the only black guy. I think that's quite an accomplishment to survive that as a black man. Though I can understand Gordan getting the Jesus status as he did survive it, take out most military and alien forces and destroyed the controlled leader of the aliens. And he only became big in Half-Life 2 after he had taken out a few hundred soldiers, he was just well known among his friends because he was a genius and he kicked some ass. And the beard, that is his claim to fame.
This is my issue with Half Life 2. Everything revolves around Gordon, despite the fact that he's basically been absent for quite some time. The fact that Barney finds him randomly (though not so random, considering who put Gordon there) is the only thing that introduces Gordon tot he world. Vance - by all rights - should be as highly regarded, if not moreso.

Everyone is telling you how important you are in Half Life 2. It's an issue with the game, that others have copied so often. I understand why, but it's something games need to grow out of. It's not far from old Romantic literature or Greek mythology, where the protagonist is always the most important person in that world in some way (the most brave, the strongest, the most beautiful, etc.) This doesn't just apply to Gordon, but Master Chief, the Vault Hunters in Borderlands, Sam Fisher, etc.

I'm more interested in the everyman against all odds, which Gordon has in Half Life 1, but loses in Half Life 2 with all the hero worship.

Great video on the subject:

http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=151

By contrast, Portal 2 still makes you very important, but by berating you. That, and you have reason to be important after the first game.

Edit: Oh, and Vance is obviously John the Baptist, Barney is Peter, Alyx is Mary Magdellin, and Breen is Pontios Pilot. Sorry for the spelling.

Truthfully, the reason why people read the Jesus myth in everything is that it's incredibly influential ON anything, and the journey is vague enough that it could really apply to anything.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I would like to point out that the restrained narrative had the same effect in KOTOR II on Peragus. And yet people bitched about that til the cows came home. I love that though, it had this great build up feeling.

MrDrProf

Sep 21, 2011
Over the steam sale this summer I finally bought half life, (yes, I basically did live under a rock for the first 14 years of my life) and I found that it still holds up today. I found the campaign much more fun and exciting than call of duty, battlefield, or any of that other bs. Now I see why Yahtzee holds it as the standard for games.