Zero Punctuation: Halo 4

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
shieldheart204 said:
Trishbot said:
Man, totally agree, only I quit much sooner. I got bored at the start menu. That dull choir music? I never even bothered playing past that start menu 'cause it was so boring. What a dull game, all in space and stuff with its "Ahhhhs" and violins. I need more dubstep and grunge-rock. Throw some Skrillex in that sh*t. How could anyone make a franchise on this series when the start menu alone is so bland and dull. Sheesh.
You do realize that the entire Halo franchise is based around the epic feeling of being in SPACE right? Anyway, no dubstep or even Grunge Rock could correctly fit into the game. I know that there is the Mjolnir mix, which is great and is metal, but it isn't Halo Campaign music. I always liked the score, it helped enlarge your epic quest to save humanity. If you want dubstep and grunge, look for games dedicated to these genres. Like all music, there are people who love it and there are those who don't.
That was a joke...

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
legendp said:
Try playing halo 2, that really mixed things up with the whole covenant religion thing, something which most people seemed to have missed, or atleast watch the opening cutscene for halo 2
I did watch the cutscenes for Halo 2 and 3 on YouTube.

At the beginning of 2, I was convinced that this was what all those Halo fans had been talking about when they mentioned its great story, but it ended up being a convoluted mess before the halfway point. It's all fairly standard sci-fi stuff, most notable from cobbling together ideas from a wide variety of novels and not just Aliens, Predator, Starship Troopers, and Terminator, which is the usual practice of sci-fi shooters.

I will say that Combat Evolved is probably the best execution of pure plot up until its release, with a pretty tight story that moves from one set piece to another fairly effectively without subjecting the player to endless cut-scenes. Largely this is through utilizing a bunch of tricks that were pretty common, such as much of the story being told via a voice-over character. But where most games told a long, rambling tale with lots of needless digressions, Halo didn't have an ounce of fat on it. Every chapter followed logically from the one before and was always moving forward.

I wasn't interested in the story, mostly because I thought Cortana was the only interesting character in it, but I can appreciate a well-constructed game plot when I see one.

Orzene

Nov 28, 2008
I hope this is the last Halo game with Master "Chef" ... I could rant, but I'm just going to day that his story arch is done, and should stay done. :p

MajFauxPas

Jan 28, 2011
Here in the U.S., most people think 'bell-end' is a telephone. It's not, by the way. It's actually a joystick, much like the one Yahtzee used to beat himself up with in the last installment. It's my favorite scene because his hands form this rather fitting accompaniment on either side.
I wonder if he meant to do that.