Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
YoungZer0 said:
OhJohnNo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
Let me make that point more clear. The two films may have been different down to every detail. But I went to see it expecting more of the great story telling and epic battles I got from a new hope.

Mass Effect 1&2 both have great story and epic encounters.

The same can be said for Halo 1-Reach
Wait a second, are you actually saying you played Halo for the story? Really? Because i came in expecting a good story, but i haven't found it. It was simpler than the horrible mishmash that Halo 2 was, but it wasn't good.

A great example of sequel done better is Half-Life 2. New Weapons, new enemies, same enemies in new and refreshing disguise, new gameplay-elements like the gravity-gun, completely different setting and storyline, new characters, more depth, etc.

Halo is missing all that.
Once again, this is all opinion. ALL FUCKING OPINION. And oyu're arguing about it as if it's scientific fact.

Zero Punctuation is brilliant, but it brings out by far the worst in the community here. Refer back to my last post in this thread. You guys are behaving like youtube trolls.
Well it is a fact that the Halo Franchise is missing some "change".
Each game has enough change in it to warrant being called "different". That's good enough for me.

Really, some people (not you or the guy you were arguing with) make me so damn annoyed. They seem to have made it their life's mission to try and destroy any games they don't like (and usually this means "games not made by Valve" on these forums). Do they care that some people don't give a shit about comparing Halo to some old game which supposedly has greater depth and more change, because they've got a positive enough outlook on life to be satisfied with a game which is just fun? No. They will not rest until every person in the world has been utterly convinced that Halo is an abomination and we should all be playing Half-Life, and are convinced that anybody who prefers Halo is a casual dipshit with no taste. It's the very worst kind of fanboyism, and I hate it. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, and I just wish these people would see reason and stop.

This militant, elitist and extreme fanboyism of Half Life 2 is incidentally why I hate the game and franchise despite never having played it.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Legion said:
Yosharian said:
Legion said:
Half Life
Half Life: Opposing Force
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Half Life: Deathmatch
Half Life Merchandise
Deathmatch? Seriously? The HL1 xp packs were shite though, I'll give you that.
Just saying there are a more Half Life games than Halo ones. I just find it bizarre that Halo is one of the only series that I have come across that has been accused of "milking" the franchise when it has only just reached the 6 game mark.

Like I said, there are much better examples (Mario, Sonic, Metal Gear Solid) but I chose to go for one that he has suggested he likes a lot.

OhJohnNo said:
jbchillin said:
thankgod. someone who doesnt think that halo reach is the second coming of the bible. HALO REACH IS A MEDIOCRE GAME AT BEST!
AND THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE FACT MAN! NOT AN OPINION OR ANYTHING! ALSO CAPSLOCK FOR EMPHASIS!

...Yeah. You get my point?
Sometimes I would like to shoot Yahtzee for giving the people of this site the words "generic" and "mediocre" to their dictionaries, especially considering "mediocre" is meaningless in the discussion of how good a game is, and "generic" can very rarely be applied to anything other than clothing and food.
Aww thank you. What with the fanboys not being able to cry about his review, I was missing the inevitable child coming in and whining about how we only have the opinions Yahtzee gives us. Yes, words such as "mediocre" are so rare and high-fallutin', it can only have been handed to us without paycheck (for we are all plants) by Yahtzee himself.

My Lord, how do you people even think of these things and not feel embarrassed?

OhJohnNo said:
This militant, elitist and extreme fanboyism of Half Life 2 is incidentally why I hate the game and franchise despite never having played it.
*sigh* That is so precious, I wanna pinch your cheek and give you a toffee.

GrimCW

Dec 17, 2009
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
A great example of sequel done better is Half-Life 2. New Weapons, new enemies, same enemies in new and refreshing disguise, new gameplay-elements like the gravity-gun, completely different setting and storyline, new characters, more depth, etc.

Halo is missing all that.
not a big halo fanatic like some but i will say this.
HL2 was a terrible excuse for a sequel, it didn't pickup anywhere from the original, had a few cameo/returns, and a half shat out plot to explain things in a nutshell without actually explaining a damned thing.
tbh its like trying link Quake and Quake 2 just because they both have shotguns and portals in the games. tbh the character development in Halo was better than HL2.
HL2 was a tunnel runner with bigger maps, better models, but worse GFX overall than Doom 3 offered.
as for weapons it had the same basic loadout any game has, pistol, MG, SMG, sniper. sure they looked different, but they're the same as any. its only real addition was the gravity gun.

on topic though, Reach was the stand before last, not the first in the war (IIRC, and i probably don't, its actually some 20+ years into the war)
that aside it pretty much runs spot on :)
Halo's never had a good story, mediocre gameplay with terrible character development.
crap, only characters with any development in ANY of the Halo games would be the Arbitor (in 2 anyways) and Miranda Keyes.
but at least it contributed to its own series, each game actually had meaning to the overall theme and story (for what was there anyway)

and this "OMG THE MP IS SOOO AWETHOME!" bullox makes me laugh, the series has bare bones generic MP, and until recently didn't have jack to shake it up.
its still barely new though, and the few gameplay modes are on the same level as chinky server side mods in some PC games, same game, slight difference in play style. Gets boring FAST.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I agree on most parts except for the mistake concerning how humans knew about their vehicles. Reach was not the first planet attacked in the war, but one of the last. They'd been fighting the covenant for years beforehand and were very familiar with their tech.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Theistic said:
Am I the only one who laughed my figurative arse off at the imp crashing in on a ghost saying: "Sup y'all niggas"?

I liked Halo: Reach. Played it over at a pal's house and a 1v1v1 match can get pretty damned fun. The powers make it easier to kill good players (I actually won one game because of the armor lock that Yahtzee thinks is crap for some reason), without making the game too easy.
Liked invasion too. It's like capture the point in TF2. You even get premade classes and crap.

However, I strongly disagree that all games must be able to stand on their single-player content. I would never, ever pay for Modern Warfare 2 if I only had the single-player campaign. The way I see it, the price you pay is for the game. The campaign, multiplayer, customisation screen, theater, dress-up and vibrating cup are just parts that make up the game in its entirety.
If a game's other parts stop working, well then the game just gets worse than it was before. Situations change, after all.
I'm surprised milk didn't come out of my nose because that part really cracked me up!

As far as a game standing on multiplayer alone, I agree to an extent when it comes to games like Modern Warfare where the multiplayer is more of where the game is at. But it also makes me think of the prospect of separating the single player and online portions for different desires.

Sixty for the full package is fair, but for someone like me who doesn't play online, that's a bit steep if there's only "half" single player with the rest being a feature I won't even use. I feel a bit more strongly towards the 360 games specifically because you have to pay for the usage of online multiplayer on top of the game's original cost.

Overall I was surprised by my enjoyment with Reach, short-lived as it was. The new additions and balancing felt the most natural of the Halo games to me.

But now that Yahtzee mentioned it, the "standing on the edge of a ramp mid-air" thing perplexed me throughout the game. I mean, yeah, I guess I'd be more casual about where I decided to hang out hundreds of feet in the air if I knew that I could survive a fall entering a planet's atmosphere.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Uh, I don't think Yahtzee's as well-read on the Halo story as he thinks, as Reach isn't the start of the Human-Covenant war. It's just the Human's most devastating loss. It was their most high-tech facility around, and then the 'covvies' showed up and reduced it to slag.

If they wanted to make a game depicting the beginning of the war, it'd be Halo: Harvest, and would feature Sgt. Johnson.

Although I do have to agree, Armor Lock is near-useless. The best use I can think of for it is to not die from a sticky grenade. Though, Drop Shield and Hologram are quite fun.

kaosboy13

Jul 3, 2008
Thank you, Ben. I have been so tired of the Halo hype after the first 2 games failed to impress me enough. I'm a 360 gamer, but I never really got what made Halo so popular.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
minxamo said:
overkill_78 said:
I've been calling it Gaylo Reacharound for weeks. It's really fun to do to your Halo fanboy friends. They nerdrage hard.
...and by "nerdrage" I assume you mean "lose all respect for anyone stupid enough to find that funny"
It is definitely a "that guy" kind of thing to say.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
May I just point out one minor fact, Reach was not the first run-in humanity had with the Covenant, just throwing that tidbit out there. Frankly I enjoyed the game and that despite all the flaws you have pointed out it's a fun game regardless.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Necromancer1991 said:
May I just point out one minor fact, Reach was not the first run-in humanity had with the Covenant, just throwing that tidbit out there.
Yes, you can. But, you're not the first.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
L4Y Duke said:
Necromancer1991 said:
May I just point out one minor fact, Reach was not the first run-in humanity had with the Covenant, just throwing that tidbit out there.
Yes, you can. But, you're not the first.
Ok fine so I'm not the first, nor will I be the last.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
misterprickly said:
I didn't need Yahtzee to tell ME that this game is a dud!

I still can't believe that people still play Halo when there are sooooo many other games that are soooo much better.
GAH! *quotes self*

Really, some people make me so damn annoyed. They seem to have made it their life's mission to try and destroy any games they don't like (and usually this means "games not made by Valve" on these forums). Do they care that some people don't give a shit about comparing Halo to some old game which supposedly has greater depth and more change, because they've got a positive enough outlook on life to be satisfied with a game which is just fun? No. They will not rest until every person in the world has been utterly convinced that Halo is an abomination and we should all be playing Half-Life, and are convinced that anybody who prefers Halo is a casual dipshit with no taste. It's the very worst kind of fanboyism, and I hate it. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, and I just wish these people would see reason and stop.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
ilovemyLunchbox said:
CronoT said:
orangeapples said:
I'm surprised. He didn't hate Halo Reach...
No, he hated it. But, it's nowhere near the level of hate that he has for games like Too Human and the Wolfenstein Reboot.

Also, I've never liked the Halo games precisely because there's no iron-sights aiming. In FPS games, I specialize in sniping and long distance single shot kills. So, a game that forces me to get up close with an underpowered weapon and stand there like a slack-jawed mental patient holds no appeal to me, whatsoever.
One, when taken in the context of the way he talks about video games, he clearly liked it but is annoyed by fanboys. Two, you clearly are bad at FPS games if you think that is how to play Halo. If you are a fan of headshot kills, most things in that game can be killed with three or less headshots on Legendary (the annoying setting full of artificial difficulty - seriously, the enemy is no smarter, just has more health), so there you go. Also, why would you ever get that close with a Spiker, the only underpowered weapon in the game?
You seem to be under the delusion that I actually care about the Halo games or ever bothered to really play them or learn anything about them. I would have thought that my statement about the games having no appeal for me would indicate that I've never really played them; except for the 4 days that I owned Halo 2, hated it, and traded it in for Metroid Prime 2, which was a far superior game, too.

When it comes to FPS games, I stick with the Rainbow Six games, the Metroid Prime games, and the occasional Call of Duty games. Halo is the Wal-Mart of FPS games: Everyone goes there, the prices are cheap, the store is large and comfortable; but, the selections are bland, the employees have no real excitement, and there are half a dozen different stores that have lots of stuff better anyway. You just have to be willing to fork over the cash.