Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Really great episode this week, quite funny actually which is suprising because it seemed you went a bit stale. Also... SPOILERS!?!

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
Honestly, I'm still not quite sure what Yahtzee thought of Reach. I think the word that comes to mind most here is "fair"--which is surprising in and of itself, given who we're talking about. But it seems that every complaint he had was balanced by a nice touch on the game's part, or at the very least by a perceived spirit of willingness from that corner. Not the worst, but a far cry from the best--which is more or less how I've viewed the series as a whole, so I suppose it's gratifying to know that I can occasionally find myself in agreement with the Escapist's resident guru.

Not a bad episode, though, and the pun at the end was pretty excellent.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
...this game was quite sentimental for me, considering Ive been playing the halo games since i was small, yet even though I want to throttle yahtzee like the fanboy I am, i can't help but agree with him...

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
they made a reference to Oni in the campaign (Oni Sword Base was a place you could fight)
I'm not sure that's a reference. In Halo, ONI simply stands for "Office of Naval Intelligence."

Also, inb4 inevitable Half-Life bashers :\

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I expected it to be torn apart, but oh well. I found it stale shortly after the first level of my rental tour, but I keep hearing good things about the ending...might be worth playing more just to see it.

Lot of C-word usage in this review, can't say I felt it did anything beneficial.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
You bastard! You totally ruined the plot for me! I didn't see that ending coming becuase I'm borderline retarded with attention deficit dis.... OOOO! SHINY!

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well, it wasn't as bad as just shouting into the microphone at how shit the franchise was and he at least had a few positive things to say on the matter. True, he still has a lot of negative things to say about the game and then some but it wasn't as intense as I was expecting and he did at least have one or two positive things to say about it.

Still, I think it really isn't fair for him to overlook Firefight and Forge World. I mean those aren't primarily multiplayer things and were major parts of the game.

Still as it stands, I do agree with him on one or two points. Halo: Reach is by no means perfect in terms of single player but it does still have some competent moments. I would also disagree with him on a few points but that's just the die hard fan in me talking.
In any case I had some laughs and I don't see this review becoming the new flagship for the Halo Hate Brigade anytime soon, so that's good too.

So yes, it is ultimately a negative review but it wasn't scathing and it was entertaining to watch, that's really all you can ask for in situations like this and Yahtzee delivered.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Well I'll be damned, he wasn't the only one who noticed it was Halo 3 with Jetpacks XD

Either way well done Yahtzee, you seemed to have said alot what I was thinking about this god awful game ¬_¬

However I will say the ending was a bit gripping, but that's like saying the last 10 mins in superbad make up for the crapfest

WolfenD

May 9, 2010
Yahtzee you realize that Bungie will keep making Halo, however it isn't the main Bungie that is making Halo. It is the Halo fans in Bungie that are going to make the new Halo , ie they're too lazy to come up with new games.

Jul 22, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
I'm not sure that's a reference. In Halo, ONI simply stands for "Office of Naval Intelligence."
They've been referencing ONI for as long as they can in Halo...

The entire organization 'Office of Naval Intelligence' is one big reference to ONI.

Uberman5000

Jul 21, 2010
When he started talking about Halo fans who are megacunts, all I could think of was "Wait, how does he know what my friend is like so well?"

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
I thought there was more ripping out guts of the game, but at least it shows that you got a hearth for some changes Yathzee. ;)

At least he can hope for never looking again at a Halo game again. Maybe this was the motivation: To give it a nice goodbey.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Nice review... Seems you didn't hate it as much as most of us probably anticipated. Though I still imagine a few fanboys will be planing your assassination for you not calling it the God of all gaming.

That being said... I don't yet have an opinion on it. Been trying to play it but its my brothers copy and that bastard keeps taking it to work with him so I need to catch him for it. I'll give the game a try but I'm not really all that into Halo. I don't hate the franchise but its certainly not at the top of my to play list.

I'm mostly waiting to play the new Castlevania and Fable III.