Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
JaredXE said:
I am frankly amazed that Yahtzee did this, considering how bleh he was about Halo 3 and Halo Wars.

Also, I LIKED Oni.
The world needs another Oni, damn that game was awesome!

Razavn

Jun 2, 2009
Kollega said:
Silly Yahtzee... Spartans wear suits of magnetic armour, with magnetic gloves, magnetic boots, and magnetic bum-plates. That's why they can get away with not using seatbelts :p

And i am slightly less amazed than everyone else, but still pretty amazed that he was so un-hateful to the game.
Actually, (I may be wrong) they do have magnetic components in their armor..its how they "holster" their weapons when not in use :p

Also, they are quite heavy too 1/2 ton so it makes sense that they wouldn't have to strap in. (Also, people don't even do that in real life). I was amazed too that he wasn't as venomous towards it as I expected...pleasantly surprised though.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
The armor lock is EXTREMELY useful online, but, of course, Yatzee won't ever play that. Anyway, he does make a few good points and he wasn't as hyperbolic as I thought he would be. The Combat Evolved thing is actually kind of funny. It was only put there on the first Halo because Microsoft didn't think a name like Halo would sell.

So:

Yahtzee, that's what they took "Combat Evolved" out of all the future Halos.
I know you're being sarcastic but that isn't why. Apparently Microsoft figured out that people like Halo and the name, so there was no need for a subhead.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
HankMan said:
Tenkage said:
Ok that is fair, he destroy the game but he didn't hate it, so That must mean this is one of the best shooter games on the market, I mean come on if Yahtzee can enjoy it almost anyone can LOL
Almost anyone
GamesB2 said:
Ha brilliant.

To everyone complaining about Halo Reach because it is a Halo game.

Bad ¬_¬ Very bad... you go learn stuff before commenting.
I played this game and I can think a whole number of reasons why I didn't like besides it being a Halo game:
Limited weapon selection
Over-powered pistol not having enough amo
paints-on-head-retarded driving mechanics
Brain damaged friendly A.I.
Only getting two grenades at a time
Power shield won't let you move
stamina worn out faster than a fat man on a stair master

Oh Wait, That IS a Halo game
Ok I'm sorry, you clearly haven't played this game...(or at least completed it)

Halo has Always had a vast weapon selection.

The over powered pistol (as you call it) doesn't have a lot of ammo because it's only a pistol and does quite a bit of damage, if it had more ammo then it would be over powered.

The driving mechanics have Always been the same, and are probably some of the best in any shooter.

Ok i admit, the A.I isn't very good, but then again, it never has been.

You acctualy get 4 grenades at a time. (2 frags, 2 Plasma Grenades, you know...the sticky blue things that scream while blowing up?)

If you could move while the power shield was active, it would be very over powered.

And if you wore heavy body armour you would not be able run for long either.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
JacobyPAX said:
People don't need seat belts in Halo because of artificial gravity and/or some other advanced and vague technology.
Ha, I would have argued that they don't need seat belts because their armor weighs a ton. A falcon would need to be doing loop d loops to get them to shift.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You... just don't do the research, do you?

A) It is not the last Halo game. 343 Studios is currently working on the next one (although it isn't Bungie, I'm still looking forward to seeing what the new guys can pull off).

B) You reviewed Halo Wars, correct? Go back, look at when that took place. 2531 I believe. Then look at when Halo Reach takes place. 2552. Start of the Human-Covenant War, you say? At the very least, if you're going to give an opinion on a story, get the details right. It isn't that hard.

C) The fact that you constantly say that a game's single player should allow a game to stand on it's own is, in this day and age of gaming, wrong. If a game just has single player? Damn right it should. No denying that. If it has both? Unless one mode is infinitely greater than the other (see: Metroid Prime 2... I think we can all agree that multiplayer was just pointless) both parts of a game need to be taken into account. I actually have a shit-load of issues with Halo: Reach. The story flow is sub-par compared to ODST, some of the mission designs are atrocious (that mission with the Falcon over New Alexandria is my own personal hell, it's boring, and there seems to be no real reason behind it) and, worst of all, the music isn't half as memorable as Halo Wars. Pile that on top of a multitude of visual bugs that haven't been nearly as prevelant in previous Halo games (EDIT: Except Halo 2), and that's fucking pathetic. But I still consistently enjoy Halo: Reach more than the other Halo game because of the multiplayer. If it wasn't for that, and if it was like ODST again and had no real multiplayer mode, I'd be fucking pissed (though I loved ODST for it's campaign, story, and soundtrack). And I'm usually not that into multiplayer games.

You can't deny part of a game simply because you don't usually play it if you're reviewing it. You just can't. It's pathetic. It's amateurish.

Seriously, I don't understand why people look to you for anything but overused criticisms about "repetetive gameplay" (fitting thing for you to constantly repeat, though, I suppose) and bad words and jokes that you've used time and time again.

Then again, maybe they don't anymore, and I'm just reading too much into things.

Either way, I agree on the seatbelt thing...

EDIT: Bit of trivia here for you, the "Combat Evolved" subtext to the original Halo's title was absolutely despised by the developers. Microsoft was just too afraid people would think the title is some super-religious reference. Put "Combat Evolved" in there, and BAM, people are intrigued rather than put off. Or at least, that was their mindset.

Razavn

Jun 2, 2009
arc1991 said:
HankMan said:
Tenkage said:
Ok that is fair, he destroy the game but he didn't hate it, so That must mean this is one of the best shooter games on the market, I mean come on if Yahtzee can enjoy it almost anyone can LOL
Almost anyone
GamesB2 said:
Ha brilliant.

I played this game and I can think a whole number of reasons why I didn't like besides it being a Halo game:
Limited weapon selection

The over powered pistol (as you call it) doesn't have a lot of ammo because it's only a pistol and does quite a bit of damage, if it had more ammo then it would be over powered.

The driving mechanics have Always been the same, and are probably some of the best in any shooter.

You acctualy get 4 grenades at a time. (2 frags, 2 Plasma Grenades, you know...the sticky blue things that scream while blowing up?)

If you could move while the power shield was active, it would be very over powered.

Damn straight...I agree with everything here and will add that I can actually drive all the vehicles in Halo...you put me in a chopper in Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I fly that as well as a cow attached to a kite (i.e. we are going down fast and not from enemy fire)...Halo has simplified controls but hey...you don't want 50 different controls to get something done when under fire.

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
arc1991 said:
HankMan said:
Tenkage said:
Almost anyone
GamesB2 said:
Ha brilliant.

Limited weapon selection

See this is exactly what i meant by my last comment. Bungies previous mistakes are repeating and are now a feature, if you play a Halo game you have to expect bad AI and all that. They don't improve, they don't change. Playing it as save and ball-less as possible. Which is exactly why i don't respect Bungie. I hope they really are done with this overrated franchise and might finally make a game that's worth playing. Although i liked ONI i'd love to see them do something new.

Also: It's not a bodyarmor, it's an exoskeleton, it should improve speed and strength.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.
That's because Bungie never really changed anything in the whole run of the series. You can't complain about things that have been shit in the first one, since they have became part of the franchise.
Yeah, but Bungie has changed things. Halo 1 is very different to Halo Reach. Oh wait sorry, they still have sheilds and space marines and a few of the same weapons, thats the formula for shitness apparently.
I played Halo 1 a few days before i gave Reach a try. The Art-Direction is a lot darker.

That's it.
A few days before you played reach? Let me ask you some thing. was that your first time or did you ever play Halo 1 when it was new?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Dfskelleton said:
Splinter Cell: Conviction
That game is shockingly fantastic. You won't be disapointed, unless you REALLY liked the way the previous games played, because the control scheme has been simplified to an extreme.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Eh, better than I expected (And I don't think he used the word "Average" once...wow).

I still question his refusal to acknowledge that multi-player can in fact be the "main part" of a game, and that he's essentially ignoring a very sizeable chunk of the product, but meh, he's yahtzee, he makes funny.

I laughed a bit, agreed with a couple points (seriously, why no seat-belts!?) and disagreed with a few others, but it was still a funny video, so I can't complain.

Now we just have to weather the incoming storm of Halo-related threads that are soon to follow.

Aug 1, 2010
Haha, that true about the seat-belts. Wait........ He didn't hate it??? Well, good for you Yahtzee. You have gotten past where you call a game shit simply because you hated it before you even played it.

This is great. The entire comments to this video is filled with people flaming each other about weather Halo is good or not, who are probably all going to get suspended somewhere down the line of these arguments. Just play the damn game and either like it or dislike it. NO ONE on either side of the argument is going to change their mind at this point.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
YoungZer0 said:
arc1991 said:
HankMan said:
Tenkage said:
Almost anyone
GamesB2 said:
Ha brilliant.

Limited weapon selection

See this is exactly what i meant by my last comment. Bungies previous mistakes are repeating and are now a feature, if you play a Halo game you have to expect bad AI and all that. They don't improve, they don't change. Playing it as save and ball-less as possible. Which is exactly why i don't respect Bungie. I hope they really are done with this overrated franchise and might finally make a game that's worth playing. Although i liked ONI i'd love to see them do something new.
Actually, I find the enemy AI to be great... The team AI... Not so much. Learn to drive idiots!

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
EightGaugeHippo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.
That's because Bungie never really changed anything in the whole run of the series. You can't complain about things that have been shit in the first one, since they have became part of the franchise.
Yeah, but Bungie has changed things. Halo 1 is very different to Halo Reach. Oh wait sorry, they still have sheilds and space marines and a few of the same weapons, thats the formula for shitness apparently.
I played Halo 1 a few days before i gave Reach a try. The Art-Direction is a lot darker.

That's it.
A few days before you played reach? Let me ask you some thing. was that your first time or did you ever play Halo 1 when it was new?
I played it the first time it was released. Played Halo 2 the first time it was released. Didn't care for 3, Wars or ODST. Reach looked different, except it wasn't.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
lilmizzazle said:
I am actuly amused over the fact that yahtzee actuly "liked" a game that has been wanked so much upon now the last years! does this prove that bungie are indeed gods?
This isn't the first hugely popular game that he's said good things about. The two that come to mind are Call of Duty 4 and Arkham Asylum.

Cloned Commando

Jul 10, 2008
Ok being a halo time line nerd I feel I have to correct some mistakes he and other reviewers had made.

1) Reach is not the start of the Human Covenant wars, Harvest was first contact and that was about 20 years before reach.

2) People hanging out of fliers. Spartans have powerful magnet systems in their suits this is how they keep weapons strapped to their backs (also a spartan in his/her armor is about 500+ pounds.

3)ONI stands for Office of Naval Intelligence. (It started as a throw back to Oni but after 10 years in the halo universe its become its own thing)

And like everyone else I'm quite surprised this review wasn't a complete assault on the game but the game was fairly decent and what flaws he did pick out were mostly akin to his lack of skill or willingness to turn the difficulty down. Yahtzee is still as sheltered as ever in the field of multi-player but we never expect that to change do we?