Zero Punctuation: Hatred - Maypole of Controversy

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
As funny as the name "Jeffrey Cuddletrousers" is, I'm still a fan of calling the player character "Not Important." After all, that's what he said his name is.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
SlightlyEvil said:
As funny as the name "Jeffrey Cuddletrousers" is, I'm still a fan of calling the player character "Not Important." After all, that's what he said his name is.
NoNoNo why will nobody understand. His name is not "not important" his name is Notem Portant.

Australia is not alone in being afraid of people with long hair in trench coats. Here in Germany we also fear them.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Nurb said:
Watching Extra Credits make itself look rediculous by saying this game was totally different and wrong to exist than the violent games THEY liked to play was also disappointing to see.
Yeah, the whole video I was thinking, "Show me how this is worse than GTA, and I'll take this seriously." From what I remember, when they did get to justifying some games, they never brought up games like GTA or Saints Row, and if they did, they sure didn't put a lot of thought into the explanation. It left me really disappointed that they just completely sidestepped bringing up games that would be harder to justify and ended up only mentioning the ones no one was comparing Hatred to in the first place.

Now, I enjoy Extra Credits a lot and watch them every week, so I'm not trying to act like they're a worthless show of idiots. But that episode, along with a few other antics, have started worrying me that they, James in particular, is throwing himself way too hard behind one side.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
And so Hatred gets one of its last look ins before it's abandoned to total obscurity by year's end. I fully agree with the "why care" attitude towards this game. It's god the odd nice visual, and really what else to grip the player besides hollow controversy-bait.

Kohen Keesing

Oct 6, 2014
I'm quite sad to say that, even as someone who bought HATRED neither for the controversy nor to metaphorically stick it to some anti-violence person or group I know (I actually preordered it because it was set to release on my birthday and I thought that'd be nice), that there's nothing here. Nothing. The game seems to only exist as a kind of controversy-bait with a buggy and boring game stretched over the top.

I was incredibly dismayed to see that even with only 14 minutes of playtime under my belt before uninstalling, that I wasn't able to get a steam refund. It would've been the first game I had ever refunded, but since all pre-orders had to go through Destructive Creations' website, and therefore the game was considered "Retail" and not from the Steam Store, I was shit outta luck. Even the NZ Consumer Guarantee Act couldn't help me out of this one.... Valve you legally competent bastards....

If I had known in advance that I wouldn't be able to get my $50 back, I would have bought Nuclear Throne instead. That's to do with my favourite saying about HATRED as of late, actually:
"Isn't Vlambeer already making this game in Early Access, but far more euphoric and player-friendly and visually appealing and fast-paced? And, you know, good?"

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
That last minute of the video was really spot-on. It's funny how Yahtzee's one of the few sane men in this whole controversy.

"The only way someone can safely express their politics these days is to anonymously spend money. Hence why homophobic pizza joints can mysteriously acrue a million dollars in donations."

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
First time I heard of this game. Is this a satire of badly-made controversy-bait games, or did they really try their best and just suck at it? Because either way it's too funny to take seriously.
GZGoten said:
0__0 George Clooney is wearing a hat?! HFS!
I know, right?! I never thought he would do that!

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Love the closing statement. Also, "problematic glasses".

erttheking said:
Maybe the day we can stop focusing on proving how we're "The Good Guy" maybe we can move on and evolve as a species. But no, every time a debate comes up we need to prove how we're Jesus and the other guy is Satan.
Yes. You should start being more like [small]me[/small] Satan.

Well, what I think is that Hatred is

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Did they try their best, probably not. Regardless, given that they tried at all, they still sucked. They probably had a budget that most games regard as their nibbles expenses, but you tailor the design to fit the amount. The style is pure obfuscation, to inflame rebellious purchases regardless of how crap it is. That way they can try again with a slightly larger budget.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nurb said:
It WAS a tad frustrating that the SJWs had more effect on changing the standing of this game on steam than the conservitives and soccer moms that usually yell about this sort of thing though.

Watching Extra Credits make itself look rediculous by saying this game was totally different and wrong to exist than the violent games THEY liked to play was also disappointing to see.

Yahtzee's humor always makes things better, however.
At the end of the day, the only real casualty in this controversy was the murdering of the "SJW" word meaning. Now it only means "the whining side". Social justice or injustice is no longer required (as there were no social injustice accusations in the Hatred controversy).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nurb said:
It WAS a tad frustrating that the SJWs had more effect on changing the standing of this game on steam than the conservitives and soccer moms that usually yell about this sort of thing though.

Extra Credits thing was more based on how the game marketed itself and it marketed itself as a deer hunter game where the deer are replaced by people and graphic executions are the name of the game. The game was marketed for full offensive effect and was hoping to be a hit based on people buying it to express how they wouldn't be told they couldn't buy something and it worked ok.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
The basketball court analogy is wonderful.
It succinctly expresses my feelings about current internet 'debates' in a way I wasn't sure how to articulate so swiftly.

Reminds me to step back earlier when I find myself dribbling all over the court.
Though, on reflection 'dribbling' isn't a term I want to associate with it given the poo flinging connection.

Also, Jeffrey Cuddletrousers needs to be the name of a protagonist in another game.
I'll be using it for all unnamed protagonists from hereon out.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Worgen said:
Nurb said:

Extra Credits thing was more based on how the game marketed itself and it marketed itself as a deer hunter game where the deer are replaced by people and graphic executions are the name of the game. The game was marketed for full offensive effect and was hoping to be a hit based on people buying it to express how they wouldn't be told they couldn't buy something and it worked ok.
They did call the game itself sadistic in the video, it wasnt wholly concerned with the marketing campaign. And either way, it is extremely silly to react to a game you believe is attempting to whip up a moral panic to achieve more visibility and get sales by making a video of it wherin you contribute to the moral panic around it. It ultimately doesnt hurt anyone regardless of its quality and content, the best response if you find it that objectionable is to ignore it. I doubt they convinced anyone who was going to buy it to not get it

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
JagerBombastic said:
"More holes then the average clarinet" Every episode Yahtzee says something that should just immediately be put on a t-shirt.
it was the "gives less of a toss than a quadriplegic shot putter" that got me blowing coffee out of my nose.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Seriously, why isn't Yahtzee on the news where he can tell everyone "This game is just using controversy to fish free publicity. Move along. Let's talk about Spec Ops: The Line". Instead, we have all these narrow minded "games r bad" arguers who never even played the god damn game. Or even saw much gameplay footage.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Oh this again

I thought we'd already moved on from it and where in to the 'forgetting the crappy game exists' phase of it's life

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Yeah, it really is just controversy for it's own sake. Which can be fun. It's nice to see people running around like the world is on fire.
The issue though is sometimes innocents get caught in the non-existent fire and get legitimate burns.
There was controversy for controversy sake in Britain recently and... it was embarrassing.

I wonder if the people who made the game knew what they were doing. They saw the promo for Dead Space 2 and thought "That's an excellent idea! Lets incite that reaction in people!"

Dust902

Mar 27, 2015
Just for fun I checked the Australian Classification Board's website for Hatred. Either they are disavowing all knowledge of it's existence or it was never submitted. The only things that came up even including RC material was a couple of Evangelion DVDs and they were rated PG.