Zero Punctuation: Hitman

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
I find it disturbing that we are so used to always online shenanigans that we don't even think about them any more.

One of the most distressing things to me is that you can buy this game, and lose like 90% of the content if you aren't online. Your items, saves, challenges, ability for unlocks... all that stuff will not be allowed if you play offline. Basically, all the things the developers added to make the game "worth it" will be lost even if you already bought them, because the always online DRM is so crucial to the experience. And forbid if steam or their servers happen to dip out while you're playing. You're booted and all your progress is lost for, again, things that are not your fault.

To me, Online DRM will always be just as a bad as the episodic piecemeal selling feature because once again, it means you're not getting all your game due to the developer's actions. It's even worse because we don't know what will happen with the game once Square Enix decides they are done with the game. Will they wave their hand and make all offline features available once they abandon the game? For some reason, given the past, I highly doubt it.
They changed it, not yet ideal but its better, now you basicly can only progress when online but you can save that progress to be played offline, so all you unlock is there unless what you unlocked was during offline play.

Sep 24, 2008
josemlopes said:
They changed it, not yet ideal but its better, now you basicly can only progress when online but you can save that progress to be played offline, so all you unlock is there unless what you unlocked was during offline play.
Literally Angry with Rage.

I wanted to buy the stupid game so much and the reviews (up until recently) all said how you can't play online. Now I missed all the winter sales and I find out this now?

Anyway, thank you for the correction. I'll take that over what it used to be.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
The online thing is rather curious, since it's likely only there for the scoreboard (because otherwise who cares if you cheat in a single player game), yet that scoreboard's really only of interest to the top ~500 players.
I have to question whether it's a worthwhile addition considering its potential for far greater frustration to the average player.

That said, if this kind of episodic thing is what it takes to make solid hitman levels/games, then it's probably worth it.