BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Johnny Novgorod said:
I dunno about you guys, video works fine for me on Escapist.
Apparently he liked it - good story, fun hunting - but is kinda burnt out with the whole sandbox deal.
He's not the only one burn out sandbox. Before Nier: A, Gravity Rush 2, and Yakuza 0, I avoided them like plague for this exact reason. At least with the games I just mentioned only the 1st (semi-realistic art style), third game has a realistic atheistic; while the second game has the comic/anime & manga look I enjoy and I get fly all over the map.. The maps in Yakuza 0 are small, so you don't have to deal with a big open landscape, Nier: Automata has fast travel unlocked after a few hours in to the game, and Gravity Rush 2 you have to find them, but most places you can get from relative ease. Every other open world game, epecially by Western developers, fall in the category of let's be like GTA or whatever nonsense Ubisoft releases annually. That style of gaming has gotten boring me after GTA IV and Saints Row 2.

Dynsasty Warriors 9 is going to be open world, and I don't even know how Koei-Tecmo is going to pull that off. Now the positives for Horizon is that it does not try to screw the consumer over cut content made for DLC, or withholding extra weapons or skins to pre-orders. Admirable in today's gaming climate, but that is not enough for me to buy it, as a majority of this style of genre I have no interest in. But I am happy people are enjoying it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I remember ZOIDS!
Now that that's out of the way, I'm surprised Yahtzee liked this one, and how much attention Guerilla Games paid to the detail in their story. The only reasons I can think of why more game devs go with the open-world sandbox model is because it feels more "real" to play in, and it sells.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Jburton9 said:
Gah, I like open world games but how they do it painting by numbers is causing open world fatigue. My worry is that now the wondrous AAA types will go "oh fine! so you did not like our super awesome list of things to do in what we think is an illusion of choice sand box!?! Now we will swing hard the other way and make tunnel simulator, it is great you get to go backwards or forwards.."

Thanks for the video post Yahtzee!
Time for meds!
Dook
Dook
Dook
I'm not the least bit fatigued of open world games.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Apparently he liked it - good story, fun hunting - but is kinda burnt out with the whole sandbox deal.
He's not the only one burn out sandbox. Before Nier: A, Gravity Rush 2, and Yakuza 0, I avoided them like plague for this exact reason. At least with the games I just mentioned only the 1st (semi-realistic art style), third game has a realistic atheistic; while the second game has the comic/anime & manga look I enjoy and I get fly all over the map.. The maps in Yakuza 0 are small, so you don't have to deal with a big open landscape, Nier: Automata has fast travel unlocked after a few hours in to the game, and Gravity Rush 2 you have to find them, but most places you can get from relative ease. Every other open world game, epecially by Western developers, fall in the category of let's be like GTA or whatever nonsense Ubisoft releases annually. That style of gaming has gotten boring me after GTA IV and Saints Row 2.

Dynsasty Warriors 9 is going to be open world, and I don't even know how Koei-Tecmo is going to pull that off. Now the positives for Horizon is that it does not try to screw the consumer over cut content made for DLC, or withholding extra weapons or skins to pre-orders. Admirable in today's gaming climate, but that is not enough for me to buy it, as a majority of this style of genre I have no interest in. But I am happy people are enjoying it.
No not every open world game tries to be like that, that's just not true.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
what browser are you using?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
darkrage6 said:
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

No not every open world game tries to be like that, that's just not true.
I didn't say it was, but a lot of Western developers are doing this. Yes, not every single Western developer is doing this as far as sandbox games are concerned, yet it's really popular for that style of open-world gaming. Most of the Japanese style open world games usually do their own thing, but once again, a majority of open-word games don't interest me.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Im disagreeing with you Yahtzee. I am never tired of M.L.F.S. Really bugs me how there isnt more appreciation for MLFS, since even into my late teens ive always been a fan of the MLFS. Im done now.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Inferna_Translator said:
The Webm doesn't work, but the mp4 hidden in the html runs just fine. Yep, signed up just now, and got my name wrong, but screw it.
Here's the mp4 for html muggles http://video.escapistmagazine.com/links/316860e78107a05e6f1c1e9646ac716c/mp4/escapist/zero-punctuation/18fa2b096ef3c7e75e1f187e040b3c66.mp4?8df5e36ee1f3629756e58b9530b390b2b19600f6f7e9fef37af581a7cc215452c0fe348ab880207e8dc464dba6ad84849f5a&.mp4
Clicking on this only leads me to an old Escapist commercial, it does not actually play the ZP video?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Chrome. Just tried again and still plays for me.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That's odd, i'm using Chrome right now and it's not working for me at all, what version of Windows do you have?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
For all the talk about justifying tropes early on it seemed like the stealth grass and the specified climbing areas was not justified in game.

hentropy said:
Also Tom Clancy's cock was probably gray before he died, just going out on a limb here.
Pun intended?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That's odd, i'm using Chrome right now and it's not working for me at all, what version of Windows do you have?
If it's any consolation, its still not running on Win 10 Chrome for me. I had to switch to Edge to run it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Super old one - Windows 7.
Jesus, what am I doing with my life?

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
darkrage6 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Super old one - Windows 7.
Jesus, what am I doing with my life?
That's even more odd, i'm using Windows 7 too(I don't feel bad about it, as i'm not fond of certain design aspects of 8 and 10) but still no luck at all running the video.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Ok I was FINALLY able to get the fucking thing to play in Internet Explorer 11 after re-installing Adobe Flash player, that worked for whatever reason.

I'm personally enjoying Wildlands myself, but I don't expect Yahtzee to like it much, i'm guessing it will end up on his bland list.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
I'm guessing next week Yahtzee is either going to review Halo Wars 2 or one of the other Switch games.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
I have a theory that all these sandbox games being made are a very cunning and concerted effort by large publishers to exhaust as many game critics out of their job as they can. Because no sane person who games as a side-hobby would buy themselves 4-5 large open-world sandbox adventures in a month to plow through as quickly as possible only to ignore afterwards. Typically a person wants an experience to last if they've picked a good one and spent a hefty sum on it. Critics are not going to have much a fun time as this continues.
I think it's just the in-thing these days. Like platformers were back in the 2D graphics days.

After seeing how well MGSV turn the franchise's gameplay around by going open world, everyone and their mother got in on it - heck even Final Fantasy ... >.>

I think we are going to be stuck with open world AAA games for the foreseeable future.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
darkrage6 said:
I'm guessing next week Yahtzee is either going to review Halo Wars 2 or one of the other Switch games.
Switch game sounds more plausible, he doesn't do RTS.
So this game is the generic garbage that every trailer and video indicated it was? Sweet, I was right!