Zero Punctuation: Horizon Zero Dawn

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
chozoone19 said:
Edit: Of course, about 15 minutes after posting this I try refreshing the page again and whoop, look at that it is working now. Thanks anyone who may have had a hand in that, non serious crisis averted.
Oh, I also noticed that just now. I was wondering if it was something I did. Guess not.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Huh, so a pretty good game if it hadn't been released in a year where sandbox games are kind of starting to wear on people.

I'm still down if the story is interesting. I mean, I saw this world and it reminded me of Xenogears - another game in the post-post-post-apocalypse - and that was all I needed to be interested. But maybe I should tackle it later.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
Huh, so a pretty good game if it hadn't been released in a year where sandbox games are kind of starting to wear on people.

I'm still down if the story is interesting. I mean, I saw this world and it reminded me of Xenogears - another game in the post-post-post-apocalypse - and that was all I needed to be interested. But maybe I should tackle it later.
I spoiled it for myself by watching playthroughs. At first I thought the plot would be complete nonsense but they actually do explain almost all if it by the end and it mostly made sense.

ephesus64

Sep 16, 2010
Looks fun. I think "inspired by" Miyazaki might be an understatement though. Judging from the story trailer on YouTube, it feels like a modern open-world game based on the first third of Princess Mononoke, with special diversity sauce. Did they even get the same voice actor from Mononoke to play the village wise woman role?

RisenStorm

Jan 6, 2016
One of those games with few original ideas, but it executes them well enough that I simply do not give a damn; I'm too busy trying not to get trampled by a Thunderjaw.

Side note, when are people going to give up the "robot dinosaurs" thing? Most of the machine's designs bear zero resemblance to any kind of dinosaur.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
FalloutJack said:
Mike000 said:
FalloutJack said:
Well, Yahtzee, if they're not letting us pilot the damn robots, it's not really Zoids and therefore not as cool as it could be. Points for reference, though.
Gotta leave room for a sequel.
Well then, I'll play the sequel. :p
In the game you can actually turn most grunt level enemies to your side by "overriding" them, although only three of them can be ridden.

OT: Are Zoids really that uncommon that people are surprised when it's mentioned? Huh. Grew up around the things.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ephesus64 said:
Looks fun. I think "inspired by" Miyazaki might be an understatement though. Judging from the story trailer on YouTube, it feels like a modern open-world game based on the first third of Princess Mononoke, with special diversity sauce. Did they even get the same voice actor from Mononoke to play the village wise woman role?
I'd say it's inspired more by Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

- Takes place in the far future.
- Civilization as we know was destroyed and mankind reduced to a less advanced state.
- Giant creatures roam the land.
- The protagonist is a capable redhead wielding a special device that allows for interaction with said giant creatures.

The similarities are pretty spot-on.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Zoids

Liked the music a lot. Who didn't like Rob Hubbards tunes.

From the Stone Oakvalley Authentic SID collection, mp3 playable in any webbrowser:
http://se2a1.bigbox.info/soasc/index.php?av=0&sb=SOASC&ss=zoids&clist=1&did=1&#did

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Great review and I agree, any open world needs and should not punish a user for utilizing fast travel.

And I got me some open world games I have to get into. That I have yet to do so, shame on me.

This one sounds OK but like something that can wait.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
CyanCat47 said:
i'll say there is a 50/50 chance he ends up having to do ghost recon for lack of anything else next week
There's plenty of indie games out there if he really runs out of AAA games to play. He still hasn't played Hyper Light Drifter.

How about it Yathzee? It's kinda like Dark Souls, except it's got some anime/neon aesthetics.

Or he could play Ketucky Route Zero and complain about the valve-time release dates like the rest of us do.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I remember Zoids as well...all three of the series I saw and all three apparently suggesting that the Liger was the superior model. Anyways...

I have one question for everyone here who has played Horizon: Anyone else feel like wanting to punch various members of the Nora tribe in the face, regardless of the consequences?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I do. I remember Zoids. If Nintendo released that game on the Switch, I would knuckle under and buy one of those overpriced handhelds.

GamemasterAnthony said:
I remember Zoids as well...all three of the series I saw and all three apparently suggesting that the Liger was the superior model.
Liger was a giant pussy. Berserk Fury FTW.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
'Who else remembers Zoids?' I DO! :)

Ahem...

I loved the review - it was informative and it was funny. That last line, though...wow. That was fantastically brutal - and fucking hilarious. :D

Flankhard

Mar 28, 2010
I'm sick of harvesting nature/world stuff to do upgrades and keep myself ammofied in action games. Picking flowers is soo last decade - let the enemies have what I need or forget about it. I'm done with this crap professionally.

To add insult to injury, the devs of this turd even realized that crafting consumables are indeed booring. But rather then just cut the fluff, they decided a quick-crafting system that let's you craft on the fly in the middle of a battle would be a good fix. COME ON! Where is that one dev who read "Emperor's new clothes"? If a game mechanic has no meaning except to waste your time or make it look like there is more to it - then cut it.

Irwin126

Dec 29, 2016
Flankhard said:
To add insult to injury, the devs of this turd even realized that crafting consumables are indeed booring. But rather then just cut the fluff, they decided a quick-crafting system that let's you craft on the fly in the middle of a battle would be a good fix. COME ON! Where is that one dev who read "Emperor's new clothes"? If a game mechanic has no meaning except to waste your time or make it look like there is more to it - then cut it.
I use the quick crafting more then I use the menu crafting, It keeps the pace going and keeps things fun and intense.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Flankhard said:
I'm sick of harvesting nature/world stuff to do upgrades and keep myself ammofied in action games. Picking flowers is soo last decade - let the enemies have what I need or forget about it. I'm done with this crap professionally.

Items picked up from the ground are different from items looted from enemies. You don't necessarily need to kill to get the former if you are careful. There is a distinction in terms of gameplay.

Limited resources of course exist as a form of resource management - again a form of gameplay.

Guess it's not your thing.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Bedinsis said:
For all the talk about justifying tropes early on it seemed like the stealth grass and the specified climbing areas was not justified in game.

hentropy said:
Also Tom Clancy's cock was probably gray before he died, just going out on a limb here.
Pun intended?
Well, Aloy is super-reliant on her focus, she even goes into withdrawal like panic when separated from it after the Proving. She probably taught the Focus "hiding place" and "climbing place" with those early childhood examples and just never bothered experimenting to figure out other ones. And now she's conditioned not to try if the Focus doesn't label it for her.