Zero Punctuation: iPhone Games

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
iPhone Games

This week, Zero Punctuations reviews some of the popular iPhone games at this time.

Watch Video

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Games don't work o the iPhone. the phone is fine, maybe a bit expensive, but games all suck

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Haven't watched yet, but I can say I like the device, or platform rather. I own the 4th gen ipod touch, all the functionality but no at&t bill. For a phone I have an Android so I get the best of both worlds.

Most games are poor flash-esq designs but new looks at the 3d engines being designed show a lot of promise from the platform. The problem is the better(*edit - more ccccinematic) the app the more the processor is hit and the shorter the battery life. Not to mention your controller [fingers] often cover what it is you need to do.

The device isn't bad, it has much promise, but developers are hard pressed to design interface options that engage without getting in the way.

my 2 cents.

*edit
Just watched, and I am surprised Yahtzee didn't touch on how a lot of the top 20 free games require you to hide whatever it is your supposed to be doing behind your fingers. Still, I completely agree, Innovation abounds; I would like to see more games take advantage of the accelerometer and gyro (and I don't mean forcing users to shake the device like and epileptic having a fit) but to actually engage you in what your being asked to do.

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
i nominate this episode for the "zero punctuation episode with fewest limbs" award. i think it's got a good chance.

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
I appreciated the last line. Yes, I don't have an iPhone. The lack of weather's lovely on the red planet. Movie was fun. Thanks.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I found a way to breathe on Mars by taking plants with me and sucking out the oxygen from the leaves. It is nice to get away from mainstream gaming for a bit.

Cameron Sours

May 2, 2010
Angry birds ain't too bad, but it is in very real need of an aiming system, see "Learn To Fly". In L2F you unlock (buy) better gear as the game goes on, but it still takes skill to win. Angry Birds requires skill, luck, luck, spam, spam, spam, eggs and luck. Seriously.

Haven't played the other 2, so I will criticize another game: Eliss. The first 3 levels are for learning (and putting in the demo). The next 12 levels get progressively harder. Level 16 is insane. Level 17 requires 3 players, I assume, who have the finger size of a 10 year old. A 10 year old from a very hungry country, not America. Maybe an American newborn. There are supposedly levels in the game after 17, but I assume they are there to taunt me.

Battle for Wesnoth is on iPhone now. Hooray. But it is dog slow on the iPhone 3G.. it may be better on the 4. Its a fun strategy game, but seriously, dog slow.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Well see, the thing about Mars is that there's loads of air there thanks to aliens and the Governator.

Aka I don't have an iPhone.
Also Angry Birds just sounds like a reskinned Sieger [http://www.kongregate.com/games/gmentat/sieger] to me.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Breathing on Mars is quite easy when you have a space suit, but it does get a little annoying at times.

In all seriousness, very funny review, first time I've actually done a real laugh at a ZP video for a while now.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I was hoping he'd review fable this week, but I guess that's not comming any time soon

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I don't have an iphone, itouch, or i anything. And I'll tell you how I breath on mars... I don't. That takes REAL skill.

Still, some of the games coming out for the iphone and such are making me consider getting one. It would be easier then carrying around a DS or PSP all the time.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Great review, but it raises the question:
Will we see a zero punctuation christman special? Like Blackadder's, but more synicle.