Zero Punctuation: Killer Is Dead

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I've never played a Suda game but from what the people who have played them have been saying the problem is somewhere along the lines of Killer7 being an awesome idea that he had one day and made and when everyone wanted me he had to force it out instead of waiting for the lightning bolt of inspiration to hit him again. I can say from experience that forcing out creativity tends to lead to pretty underwhelming results, you can't pull it out whenever you want to. It's a picky little bugger that shows up when it feels like it.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I think we should start making other mythological game beings.
Like the EA goblin, who steals away naughty developers and chops them up.
Or the Cliffy B fairy, who paints your room brown and leaves a baggie of coke for you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Agent357 said:
The issue here is that Saints Row knows it's being zany and stupid
By that logic, Deadpool should be Yahtzee's Game of the Generation.

DataSnake said:
That's nothing. Last year he named a realistic military shooter the best game of the year and an indie survival horror game the worst. I'm pretty sure that's a sign of the end times.
No, him naming a JRPG best game of the year is a sign of the end times. This is just a sign of a minor plague or seven.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
No mention of the out-of-place cheerful schoolgirl sidekick?

Must mean Yahtzee liked her.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
None too thrilled with the election results, Yahtzee? Sorry buddy

Anyway, I had a feeling Killer is Dead was gonna be the flop it seems to have been. Suda51's vague presence about it built up waaay more hype than Killer could have delivered

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Tony Blair Sex Dolls?
Good grief, I know what's gonna be giving me nightmares tonight. Curse you, Yahtzee!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
One of THE funniest videos Yahtzee put out! Had me laughing from start to finish, especially through the head-butting luchador. Oh, how many life experiences could be improved with head-butting luchadores. As for that "gigolo mission" scene, the Killer has a visible mouth! When was the last time Yahtzee drew a mouth on someone?!
MCerberus said:
I think we should start making other mythological game beings.
Like the EA goblin, who steals away naughty developers and chops them up.
Or the Cliffy B fairy, who paints your room brown and leaves a baggie of coke for you.
Sounds like Yahtzee gave up on his theory that Suda51 is a product of genetic engineering, like a super soldier project for video game developers. As for other beasts of video game folklore, I picture Naughty Dog as a Troll who always has a sarcastic quip on hand for every horrible thing it does to you.

Producer

Dec 2, 2009
Wow, the punchline is a fucking national joke. Is it too early to call ZP dead, or perhaps too late?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Awwww, and here I was hoping that this week's episode would be on Machine for Pigs, figured he'd get to that one sooner rather than later considering how much he enjoyed the first one. But I'd imagine anything he said would likely just equate to what was in the official Escapist's review of it...only with more imps and cocks. :p

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
I think this is the first episode where I've seen one of the figures with an expression! With a mouth! And I laughed my arse off!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You know, it took me the longest time to realize that Travis Touchdown shaking his laser sword to power it back up was meant to be symbolic of masturbating.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
The Sword thing might not be that far fetched for Japanese assassins. Possessing a gun in Japan is illegal and the punishment is so severe that no Yakuza is willing to be caught with one and they're so hard to find that you can't really learn how to shoot one. You end up with a situation where it's just plain easier to hack your enemies up with knives then to try and get a gun then miss horribly when you learn that it's not as easy to shoot as on TV.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
DataSnake said:
That's nothing. Last year he named a realistic military shooter the best game of the year and an indie survival horror game the worst. I'm pretty sure that's a sign of the end times.
No, him naming a JRPG best game of the year is a sign of the end times. This is just a sign of a minor plague or seven.
If that's a sign of the end times then what would him naming a COD game GOTY be a sign of?

May 14, 2013
Count me as one of the people who actually like Killer is Dead and feel most of the media is being way too harsh on it. Character Action games are a acquired taste and if one doesn't go into it with the mindset of being a cool guy slashing things to bits with a katana then it's going to seem very stale and tedious.

Yahtzee actually treated it much more fairly than most, focusing mostly on the parts of it that I do feel could have used refining (short campaign punctuated by minigames that no person would want to do more than three times, the same exposition cutscene used over and over again) but most of all: He didn't use the cop-out that most review sites have been using saying that it's "Too Japanese". Even though the protagonist is essentially Suda's idea of James Bond if he was an assassin from the moon. Everything about that was characterized perfectly except for the part where they actually had to show the world's resistance to his personality to watch how he reacts to tough situations, which never really comes up. He's pretty much the same overly-suave ladykiller from beginning to end. Which is where I feel the campaign should have expanded on instead of throwing "Giant Katana Slashity-Slash Arena Number 15" minigames at the player.

The combat is where I'm saddened to hear it compared as a cut-down No More Heroes because everything about it has been expanded from NMH unless one just buys the standard upgrades without any new moves or techniques. Which is why I say that character action games are very much an acquired taste, as the game could be beaten on normal by just hacking and slashing away at the enemies until they die, but it misses the finesse required to do the much more powerful moves and combos to kill the enemies "properly" (Not just hacking and slashing them until they die). Killer is Dead's combat focuses on Mondo's defensive capabilities and never forces the player to make a move they are not ready to make. Which actually should make it very easy to pick up and play for someone who never even played NMH even on the hardest difficulty. The combat is by far the best part of the game for me even if the rest of it is a little scrambled.

I would say: It's at least worth a rent to enjoy that excellent combat and artstyle. Here's hoping next week is Wonderful 101.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I was really confused by the name, until yahtzee said that it was somewhat tangentially connected to Suda51. I mean "killer is dead"?

Also loved the last bit about Tony Abbott =D