Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why does only HALF of the door break a HALF-second later when I melee it?

Anyway, I find R1 works better than R2 for shooting on PS3.

Since it's "triggers" suck.

R2 works fine for less action focused games like RDR and Mafia 2, but with FPS games on PS3, I prefer R1.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
More people for the banhammer. I almost missed them.

OT: I never had an inkling to play this, and I've never been more thankful to be blind in one eye, so I can't actually see with 3-D glasses.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Great video. I've never been much of a fan of Killzone. Though I'll admit that they got me interested with all the neato ads for KZ2, I never got past the demo for the same things Yahtzee chronicles here. The controls just don't feel right to me for some reason. Maybe it's because I play the bulk of my shooter games on the Xbox, but I just can't seem to get into Killzone.

Still, to those who enjoy the series, I hope you had a good time. I'll just be waiting for InFamous 2.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Sounds like I'm not missing much and, it sounds like my PS3 is still going to be stuck as the designated Blu Ray player for a while longer. Not that that's a bad thing.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
*Tries to imagine Dic van Dike popping children's balloons in the park*
*Somehow manages to do it*
*Breaks reality
Dam it!

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
F my luck. My speakers crapped out on me less than 20 minutes ago. I'll have to borrow my mom's laptop if I'm to watch this video.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
I don't know if I agree with the controller issue Yahtzee was talking about. I found it pretty comfortable and worked well with the game play. I don't know killzone has always been my fps game I go to. It was a good review though.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
You know, I'd never considered the problem of the Move controller's light reflecting. I suppose I should have thought of it, given the amount of glare my television gets with any kind of light on in the next room.

'Course, I don't have a PS3, so it's never likely to come up for me personally. But it is an interesting highlight of Sony's failure to consider some fairly elementary flaws in its new technology.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Was never a fan of the first 3 killzone games so I don't plan on trying this one. Great review nonetheless.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

R2 works fine for less action focused games like RDR and Mafia 2, but with FPS games on PS3, I prefer R1.
This. R1 for shooting L1 for aiming. I hate it when games make me aim with the thumb stick buttons or shoot with the R2.

silv

Nov 21, 2009
AvsJoe said:
F my luck. My speakers crapped out on me less than 20 minutes ago. I'll have to borrow my mom's laptop if I'm to watch this video.
Maybe try headphones? Just saying :) that's how I'm watching.

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
This was great as usual, but ironically the first time I laughed out loud was at the graphics in the end credits (imp & soldier, etc). Hilarious.

Edit: Yes and the old Starfleet rule. Worf, Riker, and Picard have all benefitted from that one at some point. Of course, Picard did say that history was littered with tragedies committed by people who claimed to have been "just following orders" (paraphrasing of course), so I guess that does legitimately fly sometimes in Starfleet.

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

soldier9501

Jan 15, 2009
Yahtzee seemed to miss the fact that this game was made by a company based in Amsterdam.

And you could switch the crouch/aim buttons. It's called the "Alternate" control scheme.

RazzleDazzle102

Mar 14, 2011
Killzone 1,2,2.5,3..... all boring and all trying way to hard to be like every other shooter and now they (meaning Sony) have the most intriguing "sarcastic finger quotes" add campaign dude since Tom Carvel in the 1980's.
Btw.... Yahtzee is the best reviewer ever, evur, everrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
silv said:
AvsJoe said:
Not working either. I'm not getting any more than slight static on 'em. I even mucked around in the sound settings in the control panel to no avail.

silv

Nov 21, 2009
Anyone else think that Yahtzee should make the end statement and the end animation separate? The show would be a little longer, it's kind of difficult to watch both at the same time and hearing more of the music would be great :) Good idea, bad idea, should I just sit in the corner with the hat on?

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.
I wouldn't say they are really comparable...

Halo is from the "bulky" shooter archetype, where enemies can frequently take a full clip of an Assault Rifle or any non-power weapon before dying. And multiplayer is about getting the power-weapons and keeping them.

And Killzone is from the "fragile" archetype, where a quick burst of fire from any gun downs an average enemy. And multiplayer is focused around user classes, with the gun you spawned with being the most important.

Both have regenerating health, both are exclusive series, both are FPS games. That's about it for similarities.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahahahaha this is one of the funniest reviews in a while

on another note, I hope he side steps Homefront. I feel like he made the best of the run-off jokes from the likes of Black Ops here, and another run would just be beating a comatose horse lol

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The part regarding the cover system had me laughing out loud.

It's true too. I lost count of how many times I scrambled for cover only to get my face shot off anyway. And I only played the game for about an hour.

silv

Nov 21, 2009
AvsJoe said:
silv said:
AvsJoe said:
Not working either. I'm not getting any more than slight static on 'em. I even mucked around in the sound settings in the control panel to no avail.
Darn, well I hope that you can get to listen to it today :)

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
soldier9501 said:
Yahtzee seemed to miss the fact that this game was made by a company based in Amsterdam.

And you could switch the crouch/aim buttons. It's called the "Alternate" control scheme.
That just makes L2 crouch a toggle.

JUMBO PALACE

I'd Rather Be Squatting
Legacy
Jun 22, 2020
Country
USA
I actually laughed out loud while watching this, which is rare for Yahtzee's stuff. Nice video.

soldier9501

Jan 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
soldier9501 said:

That just makes L2 crouch a toggle.
Ahh. My bad, I think Alternate switches the melee and aim buttons. L1 to aim, R3 to melee. I liked it a lot more than the standard setup.

Haderos

Dec 4, 2009
3D today is shit, they should get back on trying holographics. When i feel like i'm in the scene i'll be awed.. not if some shitty dustclouds look they're flowing in my direction for a second. :|

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
wooo, more yahtzee hating on the US. *yawn*.

I hate most fps games and got rid of KZ2 because i was underwhelmed.
So naturally this game was a pass before seeing the zp review.

I would have enjoyed this if the review was actually funny, like the black ops review. but what can you say?

Yahtzee, i believe Valkyria Chronicles was probably the funniest review i've ever seen. Please review more JRPG's. Because when a game torments you so blatantly the result always seems to be fucking funny :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, I thought Yahtzee was a bit more in touch with science fiction and fantasy than that.

To be entirely honest, I think one of the reasons why The British tend to wind up in nazi-like roles, is because they revel in it. It has nothing to do with historical fact, but if you take a look at things like "Warhammer 40k" which is a hugely popular franchise, created by and run out of the UK, you pretty much have a game based around the idea of the oppressive regime of "space nazis" are the good guys. You even have heroes running around with names like "Davion Thule" in the video games, Thule being a referance to "The Brotherhood Of Thule" which was the occult organization Hitler apparently belonged to. It's full of little touches like that. However on the other hand it seems very few people sit down and make complaints about it.

I'll also be honest in saying that "Warhammer 40k" isn't the only British walk in the park with this paticular theme. "The Mutant Chronicles" was another franchise from down there that was never a huge success, but has managed to live on the fringes of nerd culture for a very long time now, it just keeps coming back to life in one form or another. The Brits/European faction in that one is again a big "Ruthless Facism is okay if it's justified by an extreme enough threat and a hostile enough enviroment".

Oh and let's not forget 2100AD and Judge Dredd, while set in the USA it's another UK creation, extremely enduring, and it's gone all over the world, and the authorities are hardly any nicer down in Europe. Again it's one of those things where "being a sadistic oppressive twat is okay if the enviroment is hostile enough".

Then we have "lesser" British works of comics, like "V For Vendetta" which while not as over the top as the movie, still featured a very oppressive (if far more benevolent than usual) future society as the backrdrop, without being entirely judgement of it (the name of the game here was how ambigious it all was). Then of course we have guys like "Warren Ellis" who is praised for his British characters, and almost all of them even as straightforward good guys are brutal and fairly sadistic, oftentimes knocking American "nonsense" like morality and the human treatment of the enemy when it comes to combat. I don't totally disagree with them in certain situations (as some might guess), but it's a notable trend.

So really, saying "OMG, where would you get this idea about the Brits forming an aggressive society of pseudo-nazis, it's so anti-thetical to who we are", is kind of silly when you can just point to piles of British fiction on the subject, a lot of which presents such attitudes in a fairly positive light overall when you consider the big picture.

I don't think Brits are actually a group of evil, totalitarian, jerkwads or anything in reality, I mean there is plenty of American fiction that can be seen the same way. An oppressive American goverment is actually a stock villain nowadays, far more so than using Brits (even if it's not uncommon) which is why I think this desician was made.

Honestly, I don't quite get the outcry, to me it seems like black people using a certain "N word" and then complaining profusely when anyone else does it. Except in this case, I don't think most brits object, and would probably wind up thinking the bad guys in "Killzone" are cool just for that reason. Of course I haven't really gauged overall European reactions. The worst I could think of as a resonable action would be saying that it's pretty derivitive with all the similar stuff.

Just something to consider.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Although I enjoyed KZ3, I must agree that the "cover system" flat out doesn't work. It was the rare occasion that getting into cover actually protected me from gunfire. I like the idea of a cover system in a FPS, but when you still get hit from enemies that are directly between you and said cover (and not from the cover being destructable), there's a problem.

I also think having all the Helgast have the same cockney ascept is a bit silly, but keep in mind that the KZ series was not developed by an american team.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
Oh Yahtzee, you adorable curmudgeon. I hope the fact that we all love it so much more when you hate something doesn't turn you into a bitter shell of a man.

...I mean, more than it already has, obviously......

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Lt. Vinciti said:
Finally!

Someone points out that FPS controls for the PS3 are bull!
Because they're so much better on the 360? [/fanboi]

Suppose neither compares to PC really.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Weird that he's complaining about R1 shoot since thats the same for COD, though I suspect he plays COD on 360.

The move itself, in my opinion is crap; however the gun attachment is great for this game.

And I refuse to go with this 3D tv fad that companies are trying to convince us is actually worth the money right after most people had to buy new TVs for the whole digital analog thing or the HD craze of early to mid 2000.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
See this is why I hate SONY now. The company itself is run by graphics whores and tech junkies and it makes me puke.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
So hold on a second. I get that you're pissed about all the baddies having English accents. But it's developed by a Dutch company, published by a Japanese company, and somehow it's America's fault?

You missed the logic train on this one, Crosshaw.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
On one hand I do agree with him on the whole "British=Evil" rant but on the other I do like the Helghast WAY more than the ISA so them all being British like me sort of endears them to me.

P.S. I personally prefer R3 to aim myself.

bit_crusherrr

Jan 21, 2011
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:[email protected], Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
HOORAY! Another tiresome brown n' gray cover based FPS with Nazis!

Honestly, why is Killzone so popular? All the games aren't bad and they do have their moments, but as a series, its just average at best. Everything regarding the story and gameplay are a gigantic cavalcade of mind-numbing-by-the-numbers-committee-design blandness. The story is essentially WWII in space, the characters are one note stereotypes, the gameplay is standard and repetitive, and the Helghast armor design is a shameless ripoff of Jin-Roh. Aside from the insultingly good music, there's really nothing about the series that helps it stand out.

Hmmm...

I guess you could say that Killzone his Sony's Halo.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Same here, and I've always considered Halo to be a poor man's almost-any-half-descent-FPS-on-PC (I won't get into arguments here, becuase you won't change my position that anyone who says they prefer using a pad to play FPS games is ether a liar or a flipper handed retard that can't live without auto aim). So basically I consider Killzone to be a smelly hobo that pissing in a subway lift.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Urameshi13 said:
So hold on a second. I get that you're pissed about all the baddies having English accents. But it's developed by a Dutch company, published by a Japanese company, and somehow it's America's fault?

It's cool to blame America for things without any actual evidence these days.

Insulting the US is like insulting Call of Duty or Halo. You don't need evidence or logic to your insult! People will agree with you, anyway!

O.Gordon

Mar 16, 2011
Sorry Yahtzee but EVERY PS3 game (and Playstation console for that matter) has used R1 for shooting! Its just 360's controller where you find its the other way round because it feels right due to the design of the triggers.

pughua

Jan 31, 2010
Ekonk said:
He does this with any shooter (OF: Dragon, Medal of Honor, Battlefield) where the protagonists are American. I suppose he assumes because that is so, the devs are American? Though he seems pedantic and anal, so I have trouble believing that. I think he just ignores that half of the shooters involving American/USA protagonists are actually developed by Europeans so he can get his USA hate out of his system.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
I've never understood why people inclined to shout "PSTRIPLE IS BEST CONSOLE EVAR" always use killzone as an example of why said console is "best evar". At best it's just a generic shooter; sure it looks pretty, but everything looks pretty these days. It's so bland and samey and everything comes off as a sort of checklist addition, "oh, we need rail shooting sequences because insert popular game has them."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Isn't R1 fairly commonly used by PS3 shooters as the "fire" button?

I thought that was actually one of the reasons I tended to avoid them on it. Though it's possible I'm misremembering, because it's been a while since I've played a shooter on the PS3. I just remember trying to shoot and doing everything from "dive into cover" to "throw grenade point blank."

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Ekonk said:
So the Dutch are taking the piss out of the US of A?

I can get behind that.
Not really its more like they are taking the piss out of the english if 'the cockney english accents being used by the Helghast' that Yahtzee was talking about is something to go by.

Falseprophet said:
So it's revenge on Austin Powers' dad, then?
I just got what you meant. Good one. :D

Also Yathzee please note, We didn't help the USA beat the Germans in WW2, We beat the Germans and the USA jumped in and got shot. Then they went and blew stuff up in an unrelated country.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I had to laugh at the bitching about the 3D tech, because i've been playing with 3D for a while now on my PC (mainly WoW and Left 4 Dead) and i stopped using it for the same sort of reasons described. Things are brought out of the foreground, but it only serves to create this weird puppet-theatre like effect where the middle and backgrounds have different 'layers', leaving you feeling sometimes disoriented when things pop out of the foreground and stand so prominently that everything else feels out of place. Though that's mainly a problem with shooters. I've found Nvidia's 3D Vision to work very well with WoW and integrate the different 'layers far better, as well as actually having a fuller 3d effect to the point of having my sword or whatever actually stick out of the screen slightly as opposed to just bringing everything out of the foreground to exaggerate the difference. (Though you do get that with the character sheet)

Honestly, i don't like motion controls in my FPS games. Actually, i don't like motion controls period. Sure, it worked in Metroid Prime Trilogy, but The Conduit and even Goldeneye? (which is one of my favourite wii games) It feels like it fell flat. It just didn't feel comfortable compared to using a traditional controller with joysticks.

And yes, it is a bit irritating for me as a Brit to be demonised in most mainstream media. It feels like we've been picked on for the villains ever since the original Star Wars! Though i suppose it probably goes back even further than that...

I've heard tell it's just because of our accent. It's so condescending and authoritative compared to the laid back American accent.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Funniest episode in a while, haven't playing the game, which only makes it funnier as my imagination works along the video. Gonna go watch it again (which i may or may not do with every zp video ...)

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Having just played it yesterday with a friend, I have to agree that it isn't anything special. The default control scheme is really annoying as it seems like they switched up meleeing and aiming, but that could be remedied by switching it to the "Alternative" control scheme.

And yeah, the I.S.A. military seems pretty annoying. While there are times when the soldiers disobey orders and don't really get punished right then and there, there are also times when I could help but get angry at them for obeying their superiors incredibly stupid orders ("Fighting, we can't have our soldiers doing that. Everyone retreat!").

Oh and crouching in grass makes you invisible apparently. Unless you yell out "I'm not even crouching!" They they notice you. (All that was based on experience).

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Why so early, is it cuz of MM?
Nice vid, that control scheme seems moronic though.

elderrion

Jun 25, 2010
what struck me as odd in this review was that yahtzee was pissed at America...wasn't killzone made in the Netherlands?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
So the Move is shit for aiming? No wonder devs haven't been supporting it.

Darkhill

May 17, 2008
It was made by the Dutch? Now it's just downright bizzare. Still, it's obvious it was made for the American market, perhaps the Dutch wrote it as satire, which was promptly lost on the American actors/localizers?

Anyway, the baddies were just too likeable, I felt sad having to kill them :'(

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
The first minute of this is every British person's view of Killzone and America in general.

And I'm not even joking!

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i notice he didnt mention the much more fun multiplayer section of the game. i am surprised!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Giggled like a 17 year old girl in a male strip club. It's lovely to see Yahtzee in such good shape just in time for some good old DA2 bashing. Eh? Ehhh?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I don't mind R1 being used for firing in PS3 games because Sony put the worst "triggers" ever on the Dualshock 3. But I didn't have to worry about it anyway because I got used to the Move and now it's awesome. I've never had the red light reflected on the screen, at least not during gameplay. I also guess that's why they made all the menus and loading screens red.

Anyway, thanks for not hoping on board the troll bandwagon and saying that everyone is multiplayer is playing marksman infiltrator medic whatever class is up next on the troll of the day calendar like so many stupid forum goers do, while also complaining that the non-silenced M82 is overpowered which doesn't make sense because the only class that gets one is the infiltrator, which means they should never get shot by one because everyone is playing marksman infiltrator medic shut up already, trolls!
Yes, successful trolls are obviously successful seeing as I want to choke them all, and that means they win, but oh well. I'll just kill them online with my SMG as a tactician and then they can go whine about how everyone is a tactician with an OP SMG because that's what killed them last.

Huh? Oh right, review. Yeah, that bit at the start about Americans begging for help was a bit silly this time, because as has been stated many times, we didn't make this game. Oh well. We've done enough of them for the joke to still be funny. I also liked the little censor bar at the sausage slicer machine that read "Could be wurst".

Also I'm surprised there weren't any comments about the stupid stealth section, where you go and hide in a dark cave to wait to ambush some enemies, which would be normal except that the ISA all have stupid blue lights on their uniforms. So you have a giant "HERE I AM" lit sign on you. It would be fine if your attempt at stealth failed because of them, but then the Helghast will look right into that cave at you, with your big blue lights turned on full blast, and not see you. The fuck? That whole part made no sense.

TheMan2203

Sep 14, 2010
I don't own a PS3 but i have played killzone 2 and i thought the controlliers were weird in that too, i spose its to make it stand out from certain other rivals that we wont mention here but it does make all the gunfights tie your thumbs and fingers in knots.
Also 100% agree that the cover system is truly pointless in these games.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
I played this game co-op with a friend over the weekend. While I'm SOOOOO glad that proper splitscreen co-op has made a return, why does the screen split have to be so awkward? Tons of the screen are just black, wy couldnt they extend the lenght of the viewpoint to take up more screen real estate? Silly.

Also, the cockney thing is so true. 1. It never made me feel like the Helghan were evil...just made me feel like we were fighting in a post apocalyptic east London and 2. Why isn't the main character cockney? That would actually be cool! And having a charasmatic sounding lead whould be a nice change of pace.

I'm gla Yahtzee mentioned the stupidity of the ISA too. Is it just me, or are the troop carier flying box thingys the worst designed piece of military hardware in fiction. I mean, what is benefitial about it?? Explain game, EXPLAIN!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The Real Sandman said:
HOORAY! Another tiresome brown n' gray cover based FPS with Nazis!
Killzone 3 is actually quite a bit colorful once you get out of the 2nd and 3rd levels. The first (just a tutorial) will show you some colors, then you go to brown and gray town for levels 2 and 3, then for level 4 you go to a jungle and colors come back.

cjackson92

Mar 6, 2009
Pretty accurate tbh. I still liked KZ3 though, worth he money. They could have done a better job though, which is disappointing.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
So, could anyone here please explain just how the Killzone controls differ from the norm? I've only ever watched gameplay videos on youtube. I've heard it handles differently, more sluggishly and with more realistic "weight". Could anyone elaborate on just what that means? It sounds interesting, but I can't quite imagine what it means for the gameplay.

Julian Daniel

Jan 5, 2011
Yog Sothoth said:
Halo is already horrible enough it can't get worse.

Mr. Yahtzee, I blame your dislike of Move Control on your ignorance/stupidity, as it works better than Dualshock AFTER you spend more than 10 Minutes with it.

I play online only with Move, and I'm still better than moster other players even in my first matches.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Wow this game looks shockingly shit, also my mate said it's only like 4 hours long. I despised killzone 2 so I won't be borrowing my mate's PS3 for this... maybe Infamous 2.

The only worthwhile thing I got from this video that wasn't obvious (no offence to yahtzee, it was a good episode I've just always hated killzone) is that that advert for the film "Faster" looks shit... no wait that was obvious. Never mind then.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
In my humble opinion, this 'review' fits perfectly in the section of tvtropes.com called "Did Not Do the Research."! :p

Mr Chris

Dec 13, 2010
Have to say I had more issues with the 'stealth' section than anything else. Someone's already mentioned the glaringly bright blue lights all over the uniform but what about the "oh, if I crouch amongst 5 blades of Helgrass then I'm obviously invisible, even to Higs looking down at the grass from above, because for some reason standing in anything remotely organic seems to render enemies blind."

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Poisoned Al said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Same here, and I've always considered Halo to be a poor man's almost-any-half-descent-FPS-on-PC (I won't get into arguments here, becuase you won't change my position that anyone who says they prefer using a pad to play FPS games is ether a liar or a flipper handed retard that can't live without auto aim). So basically I consider Killzone to be a smelly hobo that pissing in a subway lift.
...or they could possibly prefer the comfort of a controller and laying down on a bed or couch?

By the way, I can play shooters on PC. I beat the original Halo and Half-Life and FEAR, all on the PC, all on normal difficulty. I just find myself preferring an Xbox 360 controller.

Just to be fair, though, I do find myself wishing for a mouse to aim with sometimes.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Yahtzee... Please learn your history and the overall standard for ALL Playstation consoles.

R1/L1 are for shooting, period. No self-respecting PS3 exclusive would ever map aiming/firing to R2/L2 and I for one wouldn't touch any game which did with a 50 foot pole.

If you want real triggers, go play an Xbox or Xbox 360 game, those flappy paddle things are a pathetic disgrace which doesn't even come close.

Until Sony can make a proper trigger, it's going to stay that way. However, then again, does it really need to? Why fix what isn't broken?

Any game that has R2/L2 for aiming is almost always a lazy port where the developers simply slapped Xbox 360 controls directly onto a PS3 controller.

R2/L2 is not the standard.

That said, if a minority of people want it, I don't see anything wrong with having a seperate option, as more customization options is always better.

----

As for the Killzone series itself, I personally found it to be an extremely generic pile of crap, but that's something else entirely.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
Yog Sothoth said:
I don't think this is applicable when it cost more to make and more to buy than Halo.

The games actually don't seem that similar aside from the 1st person perspective and the fact that its in the future after space colonisation.

But still don't think I'd enjoy it. First problem is the idea that every planet is always united under a single regime. How long have we inhabited this world and how unified are we?
I guess that's a genre flaw though.

Next its villains all come from the school of logic which states "I do it because I'm evil". This just bores me to death.

And finally games all about shooting, shooting and even more shooting get dull after the first play through no matter what expensive add-ons it uses.

Also as a guy in England I can honestly say we would make terrible dictators, but excellent villains.
No two English people can agree on the condition of the weather, let alone how to rule the world.
But as we don't get guns to make it easy to let our frustration out, we get terribly good at being inventive.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Oh look, Killzone 3 tried to rip off Halo Reach with Jetpacks and space combat... and wasn't as good! Well wasn't that unexpected. (the sarcasms so thick I can taste it.

eeverett2

Mar 2, 2011
Gotta admit Yahtzee, you hit the nail on the head. Someone has to be brutally honest, and Yahtzee is the best candidate.

WakeTheDead1

Jan 27, 2010
i actually really enjoyed KZ3, and i prefer the more real weighty feel, theres a lot of fps that feel like you are controlling a floating camera but this feels more like controlling a person

also im english and i dont have a problem with all the helghast being all british, most people have to admit as a race theyre pretty fucking cool

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
I really don't know what he was going on about with the controls. The way the controls are set out is fine. I've played loads of games with that layout and never had a problem. Maybe gameplay is slightly different in Killzone? :/

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
hecticpicnic said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Even thought they have nothing to do with each other?
Yeah that's why the first Killzone was advertised as a "Halo Killer", and KZ3 ripped the fucking jetpacks and space combat right out of Halo: Reach (only not as good!). I don't even like to throw "ripoff" around a lot anymore but damn that's blatant.

Anyway I actually was going to come in here to castigate Yahtzee for his blatant Research Failure in not knowing Guerilla Games was based in The Netherlands but I'm glad several people beat me to it. Gives me hope that people aren't completely fan-blind to all of this.

Dec 27, 2010
Ekonk said:
This is true, although other than that I think you made a very valid point about how non-Americans are portrayed in games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Welcome to four years ago, Yahtzee! The R1 button has been used for shooting since the first FPS on the PS3. Mainly because developers knew that using those fat, bulky triggers on a constant basis would piss people off. I seem to remember you mentioning that in your GTA4 review in regards to the driving.

As for the rooky mistakes: Guerrilla Games is a rooky studio. Sony basically forced the label of "blockbuster" onto Guerrilla, because they wanted a first party studio to develope a Halo-killer. But trying to get a Dutch studio to create a blockbuster is futile, because we simply don't have that mentality.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
If someone in need isn't helped because you take offense to a video game, yeah I'd call that evil XP.

Dec 27, 2010
AceDiamond said:
hecticpicnic said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Even thought they have nothing to do with each other?
Yeah that's why the first Killzone was advertised as a "Halo Killer", and KZ3 ripped the fucking jetpacks and space combat right out of Halo: Reach (only not as good!). I don't even like to throw "ripoff" around a lot anymore but damn that's blatant.

Anyway I actually was going to come in here to castigate Yahtzee for his blatant Research Failure in not knowing Guerilla Games was based in The Netherlands but I'm glad several people beat me to it. Gives me hope that people aren't completely fan-blind to all of this.
Actually Killzone had jetpacks before Halo, it was in a PSP version or something, although I agree the game really is trying be both Halo and COD, and seen as I dont really like either games so as far as I'm concerned this game can suck my balls.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I think Yahtzee messed up the developer on purpose to try and get people angry... kind worked.

I mean geez it'd be nice if you didn't get your facts wrong for the sake of a joke.

zaziuma

Sep 19, 2010
Uhhh, I am pissed! But I know that I can't really do anything about it. This is the way he reviews games, and it's fucking hilarious

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Ekonk said:
Doesn't matter, everyone hates the brits- the americans are the only ones who are unnecessarily hateful towards us though

Mason Goldbeck

Oct 25, 2010
Is no one going to talk about the possibility that He changed the wrong letter? Maybe they were trying to be clever about a war between the british and the IRA. It would still only be a one letter change.

li-ion

Dec 19, 2008
There are so many stoned and drunk US tourists in Amsterdam, it's easy to get mixed up... but yes, gorilla games I mean Guerrilla Games is a Dutch subsidiary of a Japanese company. But that shouldn't stop us from bashing the US & A.

I personally prefer the R1 button to shoot on the PS3-controller. Black Ops had it also on R1 on the PS3 IIRC, why no complaint there? Just Cause 2 had it on R2 as standard and it drove me nuts. But I guess since I disagree my opinion is wrong. Forget what I said: I actually prefer the left mousebutton to shoot in FPS. However, since Killzone will never appear on PC I guess I have to play it on the PS3 if I want to.

The cover mechanic is a bit weird in a FPS. I never understood why they put that in the way they did in Killzone 2 already. If I'd go in cover behind a concrete block, I would duck far enough for my head not being an open invitation for bullets. But that's just me.

So most criticism here doesn't matter much to me, since I liked the gameplay in Killzone 2 (firing with the evil R1). I'm also not offended by British accents.

What I dislike most about Killzone is the weak justification for the whole invasion. I didn't really see something Killzone 2 (or the wikipedia entry on the game series) that would clearly justify the invasion of the planet Helghan other than revenge. The only thing that makes them evil is the obvious Nazi-reference. If you want to keep them at bay it would be enough to have space lasers that shoot down their ships I assume. Why start a retaliation war that will cost the lives of millions of people? (because it's a video game and the writers couldn't come up with a better reason than "they look like nazis!", obviously)

I was also annoyed by my own squad. The most annoying NPC in Killzone 2 is Rico. A man-child who mistakes constant use of profanities with maturity. Like most ISA personnel in this game. Unlike the Helghast however, who are able to talk complete sentences without resorting to multiple use of four-letter words. Sunshine Rico runs around and kills so many Helghast that it can only be measured in metric tons. Yet he is displeased with the extend of his own genocide and want's to continually kill more of them.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, I thought Yahtzee was a bit more in touch with science fiction and fantasy than that.

To be entirely honest, I think one of the reasons why The British tend to wind up in nazi-like roles, is because they revel in it. It has nothing to do with historical fact, but if you take a look at things like "Warhammer 40k" which is a hugely popular franchise, created by and run out of the UK, you pretty much have a game based around the idea of the oppressive regime of "space nazis" are the good guys. You even have heroes running around with names like "Davion Thule" in the video games, Thule being a referance to "The Brotherhood Of Thule" which was the occult organization Hitler apparently belonged to. It's full of little touches like that. However on the other hand it seems very few people sit down and make complaints about it.

I'll also be honest in saying that "Warhammer 40k" isn't the only British walk in the park with this paticular theme. "The Mutant Chronicles" was another franchise from down there that was never a huge success, but has managed to live on the fringes of nerd culture for a very long time now, it just keeps coming back to life in one form or another. The Brits/European faction in that one is again a big "Ruthless Facism is okay if it's justified by an extreme enough threat and a hostile enough enviroment".

Oh and let's not forget 2100AD and Judge Dredd, while set in the USA it's another UK creation, extremely enduring, and it's gone all over the world, and the authorities are hardly any nicer down in Europe. Again it's one of those things where "being a sadistic oppressive twat is okay if the enviroment is hostile enough".

Then we have "lesser" British works of comics, like "V For Vendetta" which while not as over the top as the movie, still featured a very oppressive (if far more benevolent than usual) future society as the backrdrop, without being entirely judgement of it (the name of the game here was how ambigious it all was). Then of course we have guys like "Warren Ellis" who is praised for his British characters, and almost all of them even as straightforward good guys are brutal and fairly sadistic, oftentimes knocking American "nonsense" like morality and the human treatment of the enemy when it comes to combat. I don't totally disagree with them in certain situations (as some might guess), but it's a notable trend.

So really, saying "OMG, where would you get this idea about the Brits forming an aggressive society of pseudo-nazis, it's so anti-thetical to who we are", is kind of silly when you can just point to piles of British fiction on the subject, a lot of which presents such attitudes in a fairly positive light overall when you consider the big picture.

I don't think Brits are actually a group of evil, totalitarian, jerkwads or anything in reality, I mean there is plenty of American fiction that can be seen the same way. An oppressive American goverment is actually a stock villain nowadays, far more so than using Brits (even if it's not uncommon) which is why I think this desician was made.

Honestly, I don't quite get the outcry, to me it seems like black people using a certain "N word" and then complaining profusely when anyone else does it. Except in this case, I don't think most brits object, and would probably wind up thinking the bad guys in "Killzone" are cool just for that reason. Of course I haven't really gauged overall European reactions. The worst I could think of as a resonable action would be saying that it's pretty derivitive with all the similar stuff.

Just something to consider.

If you really knew anything about British culture, you'd know it is extremely judgemental of facist regimes, due to having fought a long and bitter war against Nazi Germany, singlehandedly for the most part, losing hundreds of thousands of lives and living for 6 years in a state of rationing where basic supplies were in shortage.

George Orwell's 1984 is a much stronger statement about British attitudes towards oppression and tyranny than a line of tabletop roleplaying games. The British aren't as obsessed as much with becoming a facist state, they're more interested in what would have happened if they'd let the Nazis/USSR take over or become like that themselves so they can thank god they still live in a democracy.

A couple of years ago British National Party (a kind of pseudo facist/racist group) leader Nick Griffin was booed and ridiculed on Question Time which is supposed to be a serious question and answer session between various politicians/activists and the public. There was enormous controversy about him going on in the first place.

People aren't happy because after 6 years of suffering the worst conditions imaginable; little food, constant bombings, thinking German spies might be walking amongst you, worrying your husband/son/brother might die at any given moment, the knowledge that you're pretty much outgunned in terms of military force with no military help from any other nation outside the Commonwealth for a long period and hundreds of thousands of soldiers dying all around the world, damn right people are going to be annoyed when they cast British people as the very people who we gave so much to fight, while the good guys are a nation who came half-way through the war and barely felt these aspects beyond soldiers dying.

But then again I do hate Jews.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Ah, Killzone. As I said before, Guerrilla Games wouldn't know subtly if it hit them square in the face. If you need an example, just look at the title.

I enjoy Killzone 3 for what it is; a good, solid, mostly mindless shooter with huge set pieces and action all around. Guerrilla Games get the small details down well, but I do agree that it's the core aspect that sometimes need tuning in certain areas.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I've only played the single player demo, but KZ3 seems like an extremely pretty game with vapid gameplay and unbearable dialogue. If I'd never played a modern console military FPS in my life, I'd probably think it was amazing. Unfortunately...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
If Yahtzee is allowed to be pissed about 1 game depicting the british as ''the bad guys''. Then damn it! I reteain the right of being pissed that nearly every other modern fps currently out makes the entire middle east more evil than orphan eating dictators.

Fumofu

Nov 11, 2010
A lot of PS3 games use L1 for aiming and R1 for shooting. There are a lot more reliable, in my opinion, than its "triggers". Off the top of my head I can think of Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, and Dead Space that use this method so its not too uncommon.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Aww shucks. I was hoping he'd do DA2, partly because I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet myself. But this review was good, too. I knew that Sony add was exaggerating about the motion controllers and the 3D.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Considering the gameplay I've seen at a live demo, I'm surprised he didn't harp on the Hellghast being the most ridiculously redundant and completely useless force ever created.

Seriously, based on what I saw, you have to actively work towards getting killed.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Urameshi13 said:

It's cool to blame America for things without any actual evidence these days.

Insulting the US is like insulting Call of Duty or Halo. You don't need evidence or logic to your insult! People will agree with you, anyway!
It's kind of funny, but if a regular poster like you or I were to demean a country as much as Yahtzee does America in his videos, we'd be banned from the site.

theoverall

Oct 10, 2010
Killzone is developed in Amsterdam, I go by their office every now and then, there's a big ass helgan mug on the building.

I have a feeling they had a shortage of voice talent and just went for "some british guys". The fit for the voice actor in the very first sequence was ridiculously bad.

Agree with Yahtzee on most of the points. Sony pressured Guirella into making some set piece moments, but those feel like they've been glued together by a bunch of monkeys, which is why the story makes no sense at all.

However I don't agree on the controls. They're brilliant. Apparently Yahtzee didn't try the third layout which maps the melee attack to R3 which makes it perfect. Nor has he mentioned the serious improvements of the "tank heavy" controls made since KZ2.

Nor did he mention the multiplayer which is actually the reason to buy the game. Finally the PS3 has Team Fortress 2-level multiplayer experiences. Using the Infiltrator class with the infinite sprint is just so much fun, not to mention the walkers, the nukes, the dynamic mission modes that switch on the fly in a single map and so much more.

The game's definitely worth it, just ignore the single player campaign and jump straight into MP.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
bit_crusherrr said:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:[email protected], Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.
I think Yahtzee must just look at the case and review the game. For all his popularity and so forth, he's a terrible reviewer. Good comedian, sure, but as a reviewer? Nah, would take anything he says with an ocean-load of salt. I remember being particularly irked by his Mirror's Edge review.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
secretsantaone said:
If you really knew anything about British culture, you'd know it is extremely judgemental of facist regimes, due to having fought a long and bitter war against Nazi Germany, singlehandedly for the most part, losing hundreds of thousands of lives and living for 6 years in a state of rationing where basic supplies were in shortage.

George Orwell's 1984 is a much stronger statement about British attitudes towards oppression and tyranny than a line of tabletop roleplaying games. The British aren't as obsessed as much with becoming a facist state, they're more interested in what would have happened if they'd let the Nazis/USSR take over or become like that themselves so they can thank god they still live in a democracy.

A couple of years ago British National Party (a kind of pseudo facist/racist group) leader Nick Griffin was booed and ridiculed on Question Time which is supposed to be a serious question and answer session between various politicians/activists and the public. There was enormous controversy about him going on in the first place.

People aren't happy because after 6 years of suffering the worst conditions imaginable; little food, constant bombings, thinking German spies might be walking amongst you, worrying your husband/son/brother might die at any given moment, the knowledge that you're pretty much outgunned in terms of military force with no military help from any other nation outside the Commonwealth for a long period and hundreds of thousands of soldiers dying all around the world, damn right people are going to be annoyed when they cast British people as the very people who we gave so much to fight, while the good guys are a nation who came half-way through the war and barely felt these aspects beyond soldiers dying.

But then again I do hate Jews.

We're talking about pop culture, not the culture in of itself. This revolves around fantasy and how the Britan likes to portray itself, not reality. You'll notice I haven't mentioned ONE source of role-playing games, but tons of differant things all around a similar theme, including one of the longer running comic universes out there.

The point here being is that with all of this stuff being produced, I don't see where there is any room to complain about Killzone, which is just another work of fantasy in a similar vein. The only possible reason to say "well this is differant" is simply because it seems to be being made by someone who isn't British. Sort of like a black person shooting off the "N" word every 15 seconds and then getting all upset when someone else does it.

I never said the British were goosestepping through the streets to planning campaigns of facist world domination in reality, simply that there is a definate trend to show that within british pop culture. You can protest it all you want and say that it's contrary to the British mentality as a whole, and that's fine, I believe you that people don't act that way in public or go around screaming that idealogy, but at the end of the day it's a popular escapist concept. I'm sure part of the whole appeal is specifically BECAUSE it's "wrong" sort of like kids wanting to be pirates, or going through a phase where they are interested in criminals and seriel killers. People don't go watch horror movies and cheer for the bad guys (hey it happens) due to some actual desire to go out and committ sadistic acts of murder. People go to see "A Nightmare On Elm Street" to see Freddy Kreuegar kill people in messed up ways, which is why he's iconic, and they sell action figures of him, not of the teen girls who ultimatly defeat him. :)

Yahtzee has no reason to pick on this aspect of things like it's in some way unfair, because it really isn't.

If you want to get technical as well, for all of the "OMG, we suffered so much" stuff from World War II, remember The British Empire was at one time the dominant world power, and engaged in a LOT of very aggressive wars of conquest before overextending itself. For all pretensions of "oh well we grew out of that" it's foolish to try and claim with a straight face that people don't look back at the time when their people were dominant, and the techniques and tactics they used to do it. Because of how relativelty recent he was people will point fingers at Hitler, but on a lot of levels he wasn't all that differant from other conquering powers. You can draw as many analogies between a lot of these really fascist and aggressive British fantasy concepts, and the time of The British Empire. Heck, Kipling probably would have found a lot to like in "Warhammer 40k".

Every nation wants to publically present itself as being peaceful, reactive, and nice guys, well unless they are the dominant world power usually. When fortunes change pretty much every former power goes "Ummm, yeah about all that fascism, racism, conquest and brutality... we're really sorry, we've outgrown that" and then whine about being on the receiving end.

The bottom line is that there is no reason to get defensive about it, or try and deny it, it's all right there so you can't anyway. My point isn't to be judgemental of any point except the hypocricy of the complaint... and again, nobody is saying that the British guy on the street right now is secretly some kind of militant maniac, not even fans of the materials being mentioned, no more than someone who likes horror movies is secretly planning to go on murder rampages.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Nile McMorrow said:
Also Yathzee please note, We didn't help the USA beat the Germans in WW2, We beat the Germans and the USA jumped in and got shot. Then they went and blew stuff up in an unrelated country.
Oh yeah you and France were doing just fine without our help, letting them occupy France and bomb London was just a trick to fool the Nazis into thinking they were winning :p

I keed, I keed :3 But seriously, I doubt there is any intentional racism going on. Killzone 3 is just a mediocre shooter trying to blind us with shiny new gimmicks to distract us.

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
Yahtzee, while I love your videos, you need to do a little research before you blame Americans for the British accent thing, the game was developed in the Netherlands.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
bit_crusherrr said:

This. I love Yahtzee, but for fuck's sake, he needs to do a bit of fact-checking. I remember that Smash bros brawl review he made where he complained about all the problems it had, half of them being down to him not checking the options.

FieryTrainwreck said:
I've only played the single player demo, but KZ3 seems like an extremely pretty game with vapid gameplay and unbearable dialogue. If I'd never played a modern console military FPS in my life, I'd probably think it was amazing. Unfortunately...
You'd probably have an aneurysm if you'd played KZ2. half-decent gameplay and good visuals, surrounded by the negative: irritating, piss-poor characters, a potentially likeable atmosphere ham-handedly implemented via vague nazi iconography and pretty graphics, an otherwise interesting backstory viciously looted to fuel vapid crap and left to rot, and I kid you not - literally the worst story of all time, thanks in no small part to some truly godawful writing staff which I won't get into here, because it gives me a cathartic high and I simply cannot stop ragging on how shit it was.

So consequently, I enjoyed KZ3. t was "bearable" and that's ten steps up from KZ2.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Can't wait for Uncharted 3.... I wonder what the enemies are in that game.....

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
gamegod25 said:
Nile McMorrow said:
Oh yeah you and France were doing just fine without our help, letting them occupy France and bomb London was just a trick to fool the Nazis into thinking they were winning :p

I keed, I keed :3 But seriously, I doubt there is any intentional racism going on. Killzone 3 is just a mediocre shooter trying to blind us with shiny new gimmicks to distract us.
Yes, it was all a clever diversion but France wasn't in on it. The French gave up so there was no point in trusting them. If you Americans had kept away, we would have been able to ativate order 67 and taken down the Germans from the inside but now we have to save it till WW3.

I also keed, but its true when America joined in, they got shot more than us. A lot more.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I was under the impression that R1 to shoot was standard on the PS3. R3 to aim seems a bit weird though.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Guerilla are Dutch developers, just saying.

No problem if your bashing something, just bash it correctly...

Sparrowsabre7

Mar 12, 2008
Geez Yahtzee man up. Tons of games use the stick buttons for zoom and R1 for trigger, you'd think, being a gaming critic you'd have come across a few by now.

I may dislike playstation controllers but I still find R1 perfectly usable and while L buttons are indeed best for zooming it's hardly the end of the world.

Otherwise, very fine review and way to stick up for the Brits *thumbs up*.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Timing problems prevented from seeing that side at about 1:23. Last video had issues like this a bit worse.

Anywho, pretty solid lampoon review all around, perhaps the end dragged on a bit long without adequate sight gag though.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Ekonk said:
Yeah, this. I was sitting there going "hang on a bit, Guerrilla Games is based in Amsterdam"..

Kebabco

Jun 5, 2010
As a german I'll say that you're way to easily offended and that you should suck a sock.
As a dutch guy i'll point out that Killzone is made by a dutch developer so all the references to USA patriotism can go fuck themselves.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yog Sothoth said:
Accept your not bloody space marines, and as far as I can tell your not fighting aliens. If anything Resistance would have been your halo analogy.

I haven't played any kill zone game, not huge on first person shooters (I have played resistance one and it was pretty good).

I kinda don't get why Yaht is still covering this game, you hated the first 2, Jay Sherman we know you think it stinks, that's not going to change. Why not be bold and cover a game where your input would be slightly more surprising him?

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
This is the first Zero Punctuation I've watched in a couple months. Nice to see I haven't missed much. Same old, same old...

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
THE GAME LOOKS BETTER OUT OF 3D?!(sarcasm)
Seriously, 3D is and always has been a gimmick and I'll probably be keeping the 3D off when I get a 3DS.

JFSOCC

Apr 5, 2010
Sorry Yahtzee, but I believe the game is a Dutch production, not an American one. (I may be wrong, but I thought I'd read that somewhere)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
This is probably one of Yahtzees weakest reviews. The arguments he comes up with (and there honestly arent many. Hell, maybe he liked the game afterall?) are abit dodgy (i mean, complaining about something that can be changed in options?). And he seems to think the game is American... Yeah, i mean, so little knowledge from someone who works in the industry is pretty ridiculous.

This review is right up there with his MGS4 one (which complained about a weapon you only have if you play on 'Very Easy') as one of Yahtzees... Not "worst" but, 'poorest' reviews.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I'm confused.

Every PS3 shooter I've played, and for that matter PS2 has had R1 as the shoot button by default.

Can someone shed some light on this? I feel alone and frightened and I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Isn't the KZ franchise made by the Dutch? Why are Americans getting blamed?

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Stupid gimmicky bullshit is stupid and gimmicky? NOOOOOOOOOO.

Be honest Yahtzee, what the fuck did you expect? A stupid movie gimmick is bad enough on it's own, but a badly designed game taking on two stupid gimmicks is begging for disaster.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Oh man, when I saw the review was going to be KZ3, I cringed a little knowing what to expect from Yahtzee.

Anyways, I liked the game, plus it's strange that Yahtzee is complaining about the R1/L1 buttons being used for firing since every shooter on the PS3 sets it up that way.

Oh, and the developers of this game are Dutch, not us Americans. So I don't know what that means, the relations of you Brits and the Dutch, maybe you can explain...lol

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
So the 3d and motion controls are bad huh?
Color me surprised.
Wait...not really

Good review as always
cheers

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Huh, I would have thought the ISA was the IRA not the USA. Well missed that one I guess.

Ah well had a few laughs and proud of Yahtzee to tell Move and 3D to fuck off.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
That Guy Who Phails said:
TheFPSisDead said:
wooo, more yahtzee hating on the US. *yawn*.
Everyone hates on the US nowadays, you guys must really suck or something.
:)
Either that or the rest of the world is sippin some serious haterade.

themanandrey

Jan 12, 2011
Well the last FPS i actually enjoyed playing was Counter Strike (old i know),but at least everything worked just fine unlike the new games where its hard to even crouch and aim.But in the end that is hut my opinion :)

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

This. R2 is such an incredibly shitty button for shooting. It takes presses more as suggestions than commands, and every time I put it down (say, for a cutscene) and then pick it up, it shoots, which has killed quite a few team-mates in online games.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I'm not sure if it's because this seemed like a genuine rant or what - but this video was one of the more entertaining ones.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Ekonk said:

I can get behind that.
as can I!
But as a brit... what did we do to the Dutch to upset them? Remember Jedward are Irish and have nothing to do with the rest of the British Isles!

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Jetpacks again? Is it me or have games been featuring jetpacks since Yahtzee said he had tons of fun with one? Or does he just end up getting games that have jetpacks in them?

Jack Phoenix

Mar 16, 2011
I like most of your reviews and the hate comedy on them but if america is so fucking stupid and gay then why do more people move from their countries to ours? The only reason why its hard to get a green card is because we want productive people who can actually help other people in this country and because so many people are flooding toward us faster then a Tsunami in Japan.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
If I'm honest I was on the fence on whether or not to buy this game. so thank you Yahtzee, this video made me realise that it would probably be a waste of my hard earned money...

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Did he try the thing they developed for the PS Move specifically for shooters which emulates a real gun?

Other then that no surprise really, you can just tell by the gameplay what kind of game it is and how many were made in its kind.

Nomanslander said:
Oh, and the developers of this game are Dutch, not us Americans. So I don't know what that means, the relations of you Brits and the Dutch, maybe you can explain...lol
There was a period of time where they hated each other and when a fire occured and burned the Queen's palace they blamed it on the Dutch.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
GIMMICKS

HURT

GAMING QUALITY

3D, waggle controls and cameras don't do anything but try to distract you from how shitty the game is beyond the expensive effects they're trying to make you think you didn't waste your fucking money on.

Movie theaters used 3D, smell-o-vision, vibrating chair 'sense-o-round', and all that crap in the 50's and 60's because the movies were so bad and poorly put together

So fuck 3D, fuck motion control, and fuck the decisions made by shareholders and douchebags in suits

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Not that I had any real interest in Killzone 3 to begin with, but I'm finding Yahtzee to be far less amusing than he's been in the past. Perhaps it's this whole problem with the pattern he's fallen into.

1. Insult Americans.
2. Whiny nitpicks about sequels.
3. Chest-high walls.
4. Sweary bollocks.
5. Dick jokes.
6. Chest-high walls.
7. AAA titles suck.
8. Standard issue FPS complaints. (Yet that's all he ever reviews.)
9. Chest-high walls.
10. Superiority Complex
11. More sweary bollocks.
12. Chest-high walls.
13. Finish with a dick joke.
14. Did I mention chest-high walls?
15. Profit.

I like this series a lot more when it was a fresh look at gaming. Now it's simply a rage-fest that's getting repetitive and filled with chest-high walls.

Erdie

Jan 8, 2009
Wow. A little sad how quick you are to jump into anti-American bullshit, especially since this game is Dutch-developed. Who's the bigot again?

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
There is really no excuse for not having fully customizable controls in games any more , hell both Sony and Microsoft will freely GIVE the minuscule programs to any dev team(we're talking kilobytes here) - it's not like it's a huge programming nightmare to have a screen with a photo of the controller and allow the player to place his/her own controls as he/she wishes.

Really whats scarring the devs teams?

That this will lead to some sort of anarchistic nightmare?

Dev one :"look at OUR players.. they are playing OUR game that WE made their OWN way it's bedlam!!"

Dev two :"I can't stand it..it's It's Anarchy..I'M pulling the plug!!!"

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
soldier9501 said:

Doesn't change the fact that the game is clearly aimed at Americans and the protagonists are obviously American surrogate characters in their WWII analogy. Hence their American accents and rugged, brown-haired, manly appearance; the default look of practically every Western protagonist.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Jack Phoenix said:
I like most of your reviews and the hate comedy on them but if america is so fucking stupid and gay then why do more people move from their countries to ours? The only reason why its hard to get a green card is because we want productive people who can actually help other people in this country and because so many people are flooding toward us faster then a Tsunami in Japan.
I think you're taking his reviews too seriously. He is after-all only reviewing a silly game, and not launching a polemic dissertation against the US.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
This is one of the less funny reviews in my opinion. Honestly Yahtzee, we got the fact you hate America! We know you don't like chest high walls! There's also something called "CHANGEABLE INTERFACE". And the triggers on the PS3 kinda suck for shooting anyways.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Yahtzee, with all due respect, China will buy Europe before it buys America. Europe's cheaper!

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
Helped defeat? You make it sound like it was America that truly beat the axis while the rest of the Allies gave minor contributions.
Britain Canada and France defeated the Nazis America kinda helped but only during the end when Japan Broke their dock. Seriously why do so many people think America was the Big hero in WWII, they showed up at the last minute and Only because Japan attacked I'm pretty sure America was doing trade with Germany.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
wow He didn't like it I am so shocked. -___- I mean we all knew what kind of game was coming out after you played the first one no need to expect anything else.

Nightbringer

Apr 22, 2009
I bought KZ2 and got about 20 minutes in before I shelved it. The graphics have potential, but if you peer past the (admittedly nice) post-processing the base textures are alarmingly low resolution. Everything runs together in an uninteresting muddy sameness and lacks sharpness. The characters and setting are poorly realized, unrealistic and unrelateable, and I don't recall being impressed by any animation (particularly facial).

I watched some KZ3 videos to get a grip on how things have changed, but from what I've seen they haven't. :(

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
Is it just me, or was that one kinda dull? The jokes just weren't as good as usual. But at least it wasn't for another obscure piece of crap nobody's ever heard of. SONIC COLORS FOR THE Wii NOW, PLEASE. PLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE!! I want to see it SUFFER!!

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
from now on
whenever i see an advert on the escapist i will think,
another buck for Yahtzees Kinect move

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Gods damn it, Bulletstorm was NOT a fucking cover based shooter, if you honestly think that Yahtzee, you've approached it the wrong way.

And Killzone sounds about as terrible as I always thought it'd be!

Also, on the topic of the ZP's humour, I personally found that it goes through phases of being extremely funny and then being more serious, Dead Space 2 has started off this unfunny phase, but that's not surprising tbh

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Therumancer said:

We're talking about pop culture, not the culture in of itself. This revolves around fantasy and how the Britan likes to portray itself, not reality. You'll notice I haven't mentioned ONE source of role-playing games, but tons of differant things all around a similar theme, including one of the longer running comic universes out there.

The point here being is that with all of this stuff being produced, I don't see where there is any room to complain about Killzone, which is just another work of fantasy in a similar vein. The only possible reason to say "well this is differant" is simply because it seems to be being made by someone who isn't British. Sort of like a black person shooting off the "N" word every 15 seconds and then getting all upset when someone else does it.

I never said the British were goosestepping through the streets to planning campaigns of facist world domination in reality, simply that there is a definate trend to show that within british pop culture. You can protest it all you want and say that it's contrary to the British mentality as a whole, and that's fine, I believe you that people don't act that way in public or go around screaming that idealogy, but at the end of the day it's a popular escapist concept. I'm sure part of the whole appeal is specifically BECAUSE it's "wrong" sort of like kids wanting to be pirates, or going through a phase where they are interested in criminals and seriel killers. People don't go watch horror movies and cheer for the bad guys (hey it happens) due to some actual desire to go out and committ sadistic acts of murder. People go to see "A Nightmare On Elm Street" to see Freddy Kreuegar kill people in messed up ways, which is why he's iconic, and they sell action figures of him, not of the teen girls who ultimatly defeat him. :)

Yahtzee has no reason to pick on this aspect of things like it's in some way unfair, because it really isn't.

If you want to get technical as well, for all of the "OMG, we suffered so much" stuff from World War II, remember The British Empire was at one time the dominant world power, and engaged in a LOT of very aggressive wars of conquest before overextending itself. For all pretensions of "oh well we grew out of that" it's foolish to try and claim with a straight face that people don't look back at the time when their people were dominant, and the techniques and tactics they used to do it. Because of how relativelty recent he was people will point fingers at Hitler, but on a lot of levels he wasn't all that differant from other conquering powers. You can draw as many analogies between a lot of these really fascist and aggressive British fantasy concepts, and the time of The British Empire. Heck, Kipling probably would have found a lot to like in "Warhammer 40k".

Every nation wants to publically present itself as being peaceful, reactive, and nice guys, well unless they are the dominant world power usually. When fortunes change pretty much every former power goes "Ummm, yeah about all that fascism, racism, conquest and brutality... we're really sorry, we've outgrown that" and then whine about being on the receiving end.

The bottom line is that there is no reason to get defensive about it, or try and deny it, it's all right there so you can't anyway. My point isn't to be judgemental of any point except the hypocricy of the complaint... and again, nobody is saying that the British guy on the street right now is secretly some kind of militant maniac, not even fans of the materials being mentioned, no more than someone who likes horror movies is secretly planning to go on murder rampages.
Well done for not reading my post at all.

Firstly, most of the things you listed aren't supportive of facist regimes, quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the Helghast are specifically portrayed to be similar to Nazis, from the uniforms to the German sounding name. It's all fine and dandy talking about the British empire, I'm no apologist, I know the empire was brutal, but it was not in anyway Nazi Germany, nor was it particularly facist, and the point is that the British are portraying the side they fought so hard against. It's like making a game based around the American revolution where the French fight for independance from the Americans.

Finally, are you seriously saying that because 'V for Vendetta' and 'Warhammer 40K' Britain is now asssociated with facism to the general audience? Really?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
putowtin said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Ekonk said:

I can get behind that.
as can I!
But as a brit... what did we do to the Dutch to upset them? Remember Jedward are Irish and have nothing to do with the rest of the British Isles!
I get it now. This game is a Dutch plot *puts on sunglasses* to drive a wedge between the USA and UK... *dramatic music*

Also, nice play on words, Yahtzee. "Fuck it right in the cutting edge. ouch!" Classic!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Ekonk said:
Yeah...

It feels weird getting insulted when it's not your fault. Hah!

In any case, hi-larious review as usual. While I do tease myself with the idea of getting a PS3 for Killzone 3, I keep arguing that it's still a relatively mediocre, run-of-the-mill shooter with an absolutely gorgeous appearance.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Killzone 2 was a really great game...However what killed it for me was the controls. It was virutally unplayable on the highest difficulty setting. As far as i understood the controls had been rewamped for this installment. Seems i was somewhat wrong.

fangsandflames3133

Mar 9, 2011
They aren't British.....they are just British actors....
British actors (or at least the British accent) are the generic stand in for all Europeans...current or ancient.
Like in Gladiator...
or Troy...
or Alexander...
or just about any movie set in Europe...

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Ekonk said:
Yahtzee would never pass up a chance to make fun of Americans, even if he has to lie to us for it.

Flamespeak

May 19, 2010
I liked it, but can see why others wouldn't. Review was strange though, focusing more on the aesthetics than the core gameplay. Multiplayer is a big part of the game too, but Yahtzee never mentions or plays that segment so I can't give him any shit for not mentioning it, but if you were curious about it, it has been reworked quite a bit.

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007
Hating on the US is a ZP theme that's getting a little old now. But he's got a clear point about the Bad guys always being British, haha.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Ekonk said:

I can get behind that.
must be deep burrowed hate finally being vented somewhere (Dunno why maybe cause the former dutch prime minister was so far up bush's ass that his toupet turned brown)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
secretsantaone said:
[

Firstly, most of the things you listed aren't supportive of facist regimes, quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the Helghast are specifically portrayed to be similar to Nazis, from the uniforms to the German sounding name. It's all fine and dandy talking about the British empire, I'm no apologist, I know the empire was brutal, but it was not in anyway Nazi Germany, nor was it particularly facist, and the point is that the British are portraying the side they fought so hard against. It's like making a game based around the American revolution where the French fight for independance from the Americans.

Finally, are you seriously saying that because 'V for Vendetta' and 'Warhammer 40K' Britain is now asssociated with facism to the general audience? Really?
I read your post very carefully, I just think your wrong, and being needlessly defensive instead of rational about it.

Among other things you seem to think that there is really anything wrong with the Nazis as a military force or order or battle. It was very efficient, very effective, and took it's inspiration for a lot of sources. In fact there is a lot of good that can be said about Nazi germany in all respects. Hitler was an international man of the year before the war, and he was right about 99% of the things that he said, it was that 1% that was the problem. The thing that made him scary is that he was charismatic and well loved, despite how movies like to present him nowadays. He did not succeed because he and a handfull of maniacs, ruthlessly seized power and somehow managed to institute and maintain a reign of terror. The problem with that version (common to most cinema) is he never would have had the manpower to be a threat. What's more the propaganda in the US over World War II was so intense because he had TONS of people who supported him over here, the goverment seized as much control over the media as it did both to quash that, as well as the constant isolationist sentiment. The reality wasn't as simple as "Hitler was Evil, we realized this after pearl harbour and went off to save Europe by firing light out of our anuses". Even after Pearl Harbour a lot of people in the US still didn't want to go to war, or actually thought we should side with the Nazis (and the latter point was signifigant at the time, but forgotten to a lot of history, but there was some mention of it in the propaganda section of The Smithsonian when I visited in order to explain what some of the things on display were actually about, or made in response to). A lot of our espianage concerns in the US were not from Germans sneaking into the country or Japanese loyalists, though those were both factors, but largely due to Hitler supporters who were there to begin with seeking to undermine the US for what they actually perceived as the best interests of the US. Of course this is getting well off the subject. The point I'm making here is to say "wow, these guys seem Nazi-like in their trappings" seems kind of silly, when you consider a LOT of militaries did, and still do. Heck the "Imperial Guard" in Warhammer 40k uses a lot of nazi-like and stalinist inspired designs for uniforms and such. Also military forces generally don't go around calling themselves "the fluffy kittens" (unless it's some kind of joke), a term like "Helghest" or whatever sounds pretty intimidating, and that's generally the point no matter what side your on.

Pretty much all the examples I gave are VERY aggressive and facist in their outlook, it's just that they are typically presented as being justified. Heck, I'm sure if you were to look at things strictly from the perspective of the bad guys in Killzone (as opposed to your omniscient perspective as the game player) you can probably see how from their perspective they happen to be the good guys as well.

As far as a few works of fiction associating the UK entirely with facism goes, that's hardly the case. However, it's not like your presented as the straight out bad guys either. In fiction though Britan *DOES* tend to be associated with a lot of very dark, very gray material, where even the good guys are ambigious in a modern sense and tend to largely be "good" only when you look at things in an extreme "big picture" kind of way. The typical British hero nowadays, and this includes characters created by Brits, is a coated, eternally cynical wanker, with an extreme sadistic streak, who always winds up doing the right thing though oftentimes in the most obnoxious way possible. The general attitude for a British-themed hero, or one created by a brit, being that the world is so screwed up that the only way to deal with all the bastards in it is to be an even bigger bastard themself... and you know the messed up thing... despite what you might think from THIS post, I generally tend to agree with that point of view. It summarizes how I've seen the world for a long time now. Like most of those characters I myself am a miserable bastard, who hopes against the odds that in the end they will leave the world a slightly better place (even if unnoticable) by the time they are gone. It's sad, but I feel a lot of kinship with a lot of these characters, which is why I'm familiar with them.

GavinTheCard

May 26, 2010
Yahtzee seems to think Guerilla Games is based in America. It's in the Netherlands. Amsterdam to be more precise.

Jhales

Jul 29, 2009
My brother got Killzone 2 for free with his PS3. I played a bit of it before I got too frustrated with it. A lot of what you mentioned for this review was some of the same stuff that annoyed me for number 2. I wonder if they kept the completely idiotic vehicle designs and awful gray color scheme.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
And here I thought using a move controller might make the shooting easier. I find it amusing that my first impression of the game was 'Nazi's with spaceflight', although apparently it was everyone elses too.

The nod to 'Just Lather, That's All' at the end there was a good touch.

Iorio Braga

Sep 10, 2010
Silly Yahtzee, feeling down on account of stereotypes are we? Well get in line!
Ever saw any brazilians in videogame that were not highly deformed monsters, criminals, or just plain retarded?
I mean, in Modern Warfare 2 some US army dudes rip my state appart as if it was they backyard. And when that happened most of the world already knew, or at least heard of the movie "Troop of elite" that depicted the hard ass elite police squad we have (5th in the world). Talk about stomping on your nation's calusses... Well, nonetheless, I feel your pain.
I recognize that as far as the great tradition of "feeling britain", and the importance of such understanding of self to the development of labor moviments eons ago, the brazilian identity may mean squat to you. But it certainly does to me. And in some way I like to think I shared your thoughts.
Well, my best regards sir

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im English and I love that were the bad guys, their always the best characters anyway. Who would you rather be Bruce Willis or Alan Rickman? Mufasa or Scar? I could proberly find more but my crumpets are ready, I bid you good day.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
YES! Now THAT was an old time Yahtzee post.

100% FUCKING FUCK YOU WRONG of course, except the parts about 3D (of course), which means 95% wrong, however let's not forget, FUCK YOU! Man, such a great piss taking!

Keep it coming, love, er, I mean, Mr. Crowshaw. There is no shark.

P.S.
Your audio setup is pretty much perfection on this one.

angrykrikit

Mar 17, 2011
I hate 3D, it always gives me a whopping headache and makes me feel like dinner is revolting. Also, I've always liked the Killzone games, I've played thru almost a whole level per game (excluding this last one). That's probably why I like them. In my gaming career though I've only finished a few games : Zelda Orcana of Time, Okami (on Wii and PS2), Red Dead Redemption, Cabela's African Safari, Halo 2, Ratchet and Clank (all of them), Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Lion King on Sega, Call of Duty Black Ops. Take that how you see it, I guess I'm not really THAT dedicated of a gamer and I really tend to stick to 1st Person shooter types. I like Little Big Planet because I haven't gotten tired of elecrifiying and charcoaling my character.

Hells High

Mar 2, 2011
Lol Yahtzee I think you got a LITTLE bit too upset over the point about the enemies being "British".

1.) The game was developed by a Dutch development studio.
2.) The US was actually helping Britain, not vice versa. Us commonwealth countries went to war with Germany years before the Americans.

The bashing of any other countries is getting old and it'd be nice to hear some other pissing ;P Come on we know you got it in you!

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Hmm too much USA hate for me here now. I don't think I'll be watching Zero Punctuation anymore.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
mptothedc said:
Hmm too much USA hate for me here now. I don't think I'll be watching Zero Punctuation anymore.
Yeah me neither. Him not knowing this was made by a Dutch company hurts too much.

FoOd77

Jul 2, 2009
PunkRex said:
Im English and I love that were the bad guys, their always the best characters anyway. Who would you rather be Bruce Willis or Alan Rickman? Mufasa or Scar? I could proberly find more but my crumpets are ready, I bid you good day.
Hwuh...? Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be John McClane? Scar I can understand but... Huh.

On topic, Killzone never really interested me, I always got the "LOOK AT HOW GRIM AND DARK WE ARE" kind of vibe, and there is only so many grey and brown color pallettes I can take. It gets kind of depressing.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
twaddle said:
why yes i would like to see your bugbear collection
As would I.

Personally though I'm surprised that after 170+ comments, this is only the second to mention bugbears.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Haderos said:
3D today is shit, they should get back on trying holographics. When i feel like i'm in the scene i'll be awed.. not if some shitty dustclouds look they're flowing in my direction for a second. :|
This.

I swear they're trying and failing miserably on purpose at the "pop-out 3D" (you know, what 3D IS SUPPOSED TO BE!) and all it ends up doing is fucking up the colors and MAYBE adding some perceivable "depth" into the background (go watch Avatar in 3D, I guarantee you will hate it).

angrykrikit

Mar 17, 2011
I dont' think that hating on Americans can get old. There's alot to hate about us, and yes I am American, born and bred. The majority of my life has been spent here on US soil, but the few outings (ok, so it's only one outing but I look on us as a country in a very different light because of it). For Harry's sake don't scream Anti-US bullshit, I consider my self very patriotic. It's just that I can only take so much bullshit from people who have thier head's shoved so far up their bums thats the only way they can deficate, out their mouths.
First of all we are ranked pretty high in giving aid to other countries and all that jazz, but our own poo isnt vaccumed up at home. We have our military forces cut down and spread so thin that the homefront(not the game) civilian soldiers have to get activated to come save the day. Then we start two more wars, Iraq and Afganistan. . .what the hell? And granted some soldiers have bad cases of PTSD, but who put a label on that jem? My husband got told by a VA doctor that "he looked like a faker" and didn't get help for his back. I'm sorry but excuse me? Then another soldier (who will remain nameless*the dirty dirty bleep bleep* gets a 10% disability rating for acne. . .WTF!!! and supposedly gets 90% for PTSD when the worst thing she had to deal with was acutally helping get the vehicles ready for missions. God help her if she acutally had to do anything, worthless human being.)
Then, we are soo soft. God help the average person if they can't get thier morning shower because the city pumped too much water at one time and blew our main water pipe( i work at a hotel too). You would have thought the world was coming to an end the way people whined and moaned and complained and bitched about it. Holy Mother of God!!! Last time I checked you can't die or even get slightly sick from lack of a daily shower. . would have to be quite a few showerless days really. I am still thankful*after my all expenses paid trip to Sadr City, Bagdahd, Iraq* that I don't have to worry about being mortered while on the John, booby-traps, RPGs or anyother nasties coming to join me while dropping the kids off at the pool. Hell, I'm thankful if there's a proper toilet, toilet paper, privacy for fuc*ks sake, other than nothing but a vehicle door and a poncho liner. We valued MRE boxes and ass*& tickets like they were gold. The worst toilet I've seen here in the US had a little bit of golden shower on the seat, as opposed to handfuls of shite becuase they dont have TP and use thier freakin meat beaters as a substitute.
I said alot of things, and didn't really give alot of actual evidence for my points (except personal experiences) but it is what it is. If you think Americans suck, then I say you are justified in not liking us and I totally understand. Thanks for being honest.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
FoOd77 said:
PunkRex said:
Hwuh...? Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be John McClane? Scar I can understand but... Huh.
I prefer Sarah Kerrigan personally.

She's my idol. :D

(Note that I haven't played Starcraft II yet, but I hear she got lame in that one.)

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
R1 has almost always been the "shoot" button for the PS2/3, at least as much as I can remember.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
silv said:
It's not working for me, anyone else have that problem?
Works for me!

This was a great video, the 'thanks internet' bit cracked me up :D best video of the last 5 or 6 definitely.

Spakkenkhrist

Mar 6, 2008
Zhukov said:
The part regarding the cover system had me laughing out loud.

It's true too. I lost count of how many times I scrambled for cover only to get my face shot off anyway. And I only played the game for about an hour.
You finished it then? Seriously the campaign is way too short, my girlfriend and I were just getting into the game on our third sitting then the credits rolled.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I quite enjoy the US bashing, but then i'm Australian, so I can't exactly throw any stones...

Also, Yahtzee acknowledged the Ducth development thing on his Twitter. He says it doesn't matter since the game was still made with an American audience in mind.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Ekonk said:
In the game, American accents are given to all ISA troops; so I think thats where he gets it.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
I like the game, expected this from the review, and laughed at it. I hope Yahtzee never changes. I just wish that for once he would at least mention multi-player, I know he isn't a competitive gamer, but Killzone was clearly designed for competitive gaming, not to tell some Oscar winning drama narrative.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
jesus, i wish it was only sony doing the gimmick thing.
-xbox has kinnect
-3ds has the 3d, though it would be hard in conversation otherwise

about the only console that doesnt is the wii, it does what the console was designed for, horrible motion control for the family (different to the 3ds as the 3ds is just a latter gen ds, no different than the huge shift from ds to ds lite).

this all makes me sad, and that kinnect lion thing still gives me nightmares and ive never even tried the kinnect.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
bit_crusherrr said:

You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.

Spawnen

Jan 20, 2011
How come everyone feels the need to point out the exact same things in every comment here?
We get it, they're from the netherlands, not the US.

Your funniest review in a while, Yahtzee.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
Bit of a fail at the begining there Yahtzee. Ranting about the US of A while the game was made by dutch people from a dutch company located in Holland.
Apart from that I couldn't agree with you more about this one.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Killzone 3 is actually much better than killzone 2 is the gameplay department. The controls and weight of the characters are much more refined and multi-player is quite balance and single player has a better storyline(one of the best FPS storylines) and campaign lenght as well.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
Therumancer said:
secretsantaone said:
[

Jesus christ snip for wall of text

Now to tell the truth, I'm not that offended by all this. I mean they have to have some sort of voice don't they? I just don't understand why they would think British accents would be a good idea for villains they're attempting to build up as Space Nazis.

You're also arguing batshit insane things.

Firstly I never said the Nazis weren't effective, I said that they were facist and completely different to colonial Britain. It's bizarre you're even arguing about this. You then go off with a paragraph patronising me about the history of the Nazis then saying that Hitler was 99% right. Jesus Christ, I know he's been built up to be the devil by propaganda but if you think 99% of his actions and speeches were acceptable by even contemparary standards you're either delusional or an extreme right-winger. You then end with a completely unrelated conclusion where you attempt to argue that the 40k marines look just as much like Nazis as the Helghast. It's alright saying that they have elements of Nazi Germany. The thing is, the Helghast are actually fully designed around the Nazis. Have you seen their flag? Jesus, if you read the history of them it directly parallels the story of Nazi Germany.

You then follow it by saying that V for Vendetta and Judge Dredd justified a facist regime when the real point of them was to say it's so easy to sit back and let yourself become facist when confronted with a disaster/war/depression. I can understand how you might have got confused with Judge Dredd, but with V for Vendetta it's the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT.

You then go on to argue that typical British hero is a jaded cynical dickhead. With no evidence to back it up. There's no such thing as a 'typical British hero' probably because BRITAIN LIKE EVERY COUNTRY PUTS OUT A TON OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FICTION. Seriously, if you really HAD to define a typical British hero, it would be an average guy caught up in extraodinary circumstances, which pretty much sums up 50% of all heroes. If you're really going to go down to it, 40K was way more popular in the U.S than in the UK which obviously means the U.S must be obsessed with facism by your logic. Britain puts out just as much grimdark cynical facist media as it does media about comedy gangsters in London, light-hearted sitcoms, historical dramas or Hugh Grant trying to get his leg over some girl.

I highly doubt if you asked the average non-Brit for some British stereotypes they'd respond with facist immoral Nazis.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
SickBritKid said:
Yahtzee, with all due respect, China will buy Europe before it buys America. Europe's cheaper!
Yeah, but how much money does Europe owe to China?

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Uhm, why is Yatzee blaming America for making the Hellghast British?
Killzone 3 was developped in The Netherlands...

Goody

Jan 2, 2011
Starker said:
I think the reason Yahtzee loves trolling americans so much, is that nobody else gets quite so offended as they do.

I'd love him to make jokes about my country, but I doubt he could even find it on a map. You know... him being an american and all.
I see what you did there, but I still feel the need to say, he's British and living in Australia

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Littlee300 said:
Ekonk said:
Yahtzee would never pass up a chance to make fun of Americans, even if he has to lie to us for it.
Honsestly, he could have made at least original jokes about the Dutch. Him hating on America is getting kind of old.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Longshot said:
bit_crusherrr said:

You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.
^ This.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Ugh last i checked a lot of ps3 games have the r1 buttons as shoot. I think i've had two games that had r2 has the trigger.

Anyways i'm gonna go out and buy killzone 3. Seriously... minus all the fancy gadgets which everyone should have guessed was going to be shit.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The whole Killzone business reminds me of Starship Troopers: another Dutch stab at American foreign politics.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
secretsantaone said:
[

Now to tell the truth, I'm not that offended by all this. I mean they have to have some sort of voice don't they? I just don't understand why they would think British accents would be a good idea for villains they're attempting to build up as Space Nazis.

You're also arguing batshit insane things.

Firstly I never said the Nazis weren't effective, I said that they were facist and completely different to colonial Britain. It's bizarre you're even arguing about this. You then go off with a paragraph patronising me about the history of the Nazis then saying that Hitler was 99% right. Jesus Christ, I know he's been built up to be the devil by propaganda but if you think 99% of his actions and speeches were acceptable by even contemparary standards you're either delusional or an extreme right-winger. You then end with a completely unrelated conclusion where you attempt to argue that the 40k marines look just as much like Nazis as the Helghast. It's alright saying that they have elements of Nazi Germany. The thing is, the Helghast are actually fully designed around the Nazis. Have you seen their flag? Jesus, if you read the history of them it directly parallels the story of Nazi Germany.

You then follow it by saying that V for Vendetta and Judge Dredd justified a facist regime when the real point of them was to say it's so easy to sit back and let yourself become facist when confronted with a disaster/war/depression. I can understand how you might have got confused with Judge Dredd, but with V for Vendetta it's the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT.

You then go on to argue that typical British hero is a jaded cynical dickhead. With no evidence to back it up. There's no such thing as a 'typical British hero' probably because BRITAIN LIKE EVERY COUNTRY PUTS OUT A TON OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FICTION. Seriously, if you really HAD to define a typical British hero, it would be an average guy caught up in extraodinary circumstances, which pretty much sums up 50% of all heroes. If you're really going to go down to it, 40K was way more popular in the U.S than in the UK which obviously means the U.S must be obsessed with facism by your logic. Britain puts out just as much grimdark cynical facist media as it does media about comedy gangsters in London, light-hearted sitcoms, historical dramas or Hugh Grant trying to get his leg over some girl.

I highly doubt if you asked the average non-Brit for some British stereotypes they'd respond with facist immoral Nazis.
It's like this, nothing I have said is remotely "batshit insane" it's simply the way it is. You can argue technicalities all you want, the bottom line is there is no answer your going to accept. The bottom line is it's a perfectly reasonable set up and set of origins for a group of bad guys in science fiction. No worse than any one of dozens of situation where The American Goverment has been turned into a group of nazi-like bad guys, or an oppressive stalinist regime, with people pointing towards things we've products both in and outside of fiction to support the hypothetical possibility. The bottom line is you don't like the fact that the British are the bad guys.

... and yes, for the record I am right wing on most things (but it's by no means universal). Hitler's economic policies and predictions of where the world was going were absolute genius. The overwhelming majority of the world agreed with me, and that's why he was the toast of the planet and a global man of the year. That is why what happened was so scary. It really was that 1% of what he believed that caused things to turn out like they did. The lesson to be learned from Hitler is that it's not these brutal, insane-seeming leaders that you need to watch out for, it's those charismatic ones who seem incredibly reasonable, and that everyone seems to like. People love to throw "Hitler" accusations at leaders they don't like, when in reality that accusation is most appropriatly thrown at the ones that they DO like or seem to have a huge following or the chance to assemble one. It's a warning about letting one man obtain too much power, no matter how ingenius, or right he might be.

As far as British fiction goes, well, just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it wrong. When the question "why" comes up, don't shoot the messenger even if you think that the reasons are faulty. Obviously someone came up with the idea, and it has enough support for there to be a franchise that has now lasted three games. Your argueing against something that has already happened, so points about why it never should have happened are kind of pointless because it did, and apparently people can see The British in the role of the bad guys just as much as the USA, Russia, Germany, China, or other groups. If you can present the US as Nazis in dark future fiction, there is no reason why you can't justify it with the Brits to the same extent. You can say "but, your differant, you actually have those aspects. We don't!" well, that same thing can be said right back. Pretty much every country that fought the Nazis has been shown turning into them in some work of fiction at some point, albiet some are far more popular targets for that (like the US) than others.

-

As far as "V For Vendetta" goes, actually the point was that neither freedom or totalitarianism are entirely bad. In the actual graphic novel, Mr. Susan is actually far more of a good guy than "V" is. The society is also functional, with most people being safe, happy, and provided for. It's not like it was in the movie version. What's more a lot of the bad things done by the goverment were actually done by V, because one of the twists is that he has hacked into and taken control of the supercomputer that is being used to run the show. A big part of it was that just because V claims to be an anarchist freedom fighter does NOT mean he was right. It's actually pretty balanced overall, and THAT was the point. It was hardly a man fighting against an Orwellian regime, it was a revenge tale, perpetrated by a guy who really didn't care all that much who he hurt.

With "Judge Dredd", again there is no confusion there. It's made perfectly clear that it's not a situation where "it's easy to fall into these patterns in an extreme situation". It's a situation where those patterns are the only things allowing humanity to continue to exist, there are literally no viable alternatives.

I think it goes back to the "Judge Dredd In Oz" storyline ages ago (Australia) but one of the parts of the concept was that the Judges at one point had a massive debate on whether or not they should genetically alter people into subservience in order to main control and ensure survivial. They opted not to (though there was a rogue who wound up being the major bad guy of the storyline), the current situation being viewed as the lesser of evils.

The point being that the regime present in those stories is much like the one present in "Warhammer 40k" where no matter how bad things might be, or how brutal the authorities are, it's all justified every time the sun comes up another day and there are people to see it. Dredd is a straightforward hero, as opposed to a villain, because he's actually fair for the enviroment he exists in and does what needs to be done to protect people at the expense of intense personal danger. It's also noteworthy that someone who "liberated" the people from the tyranny of the Judges would probably see Humanity die out within a year (and I believe that has been mentioned).

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Wow, people are getting really pissy about this Dutch/America thing. Instead of joining the rant all I'll say is this game was clearly designed with American audiences in mind, just look at the ISA, all that oorah*/my guns is my second penis/swearing every second word malarky. I'm British myself and my concern isn't that my country is portrayed as an evil empire (who would? The Helghast are pretty sweet) It's that all the above mentioned bollocks is how the rest of the world see's you and so far no one in the thread has objected to it.

*While off topic there is one thing I will rant about however is the Oorah thing. What the hell does that even mean? At least the equally cringe-worthy "Semper Fi" has some meaning. Oorah sounds like the noise someone makes while constipated moments before and after a tricky poo. Jesus, during CoD4 I wasn't sure if my allies needed backup or more fibre.

Muggizz

May 24, 2009
The sad thing is that escapist offers this high qualety entertainment that you would not get from any other website, and when people want to see a killzone 3 review they will go to youtube and get some "everything is perfect with this game IGN review" and totaly miss the oppurtunity to watch someone who acually points out some faults.

Son of Detroit

Sep 25, 2010
Starker said:

lol yeah right. Yahtzee knows how xenophobic the escapist gets towards North America. This is just a rare failed attempted at preaching to the choir.

RockyMotion

Oct 28, 2010
Didn't play Killzone 3 yet, only Killzone 2. And probably won't buy it because I'm tired of playing war FPS's. But I seem to be the only one pleased with Killzone's controls :(
COD protagonists run and jump fast like hell for who is carrying soldier gear and they aim their guns as lightly as if they're made from plastic. They're almost like Halo's spartans except for the high-jumping feature. What the hell, are they supposed to be super-soldiers?

That's why I like KZ2's more realistic controls. The protagonist moves slower, more like a real guy burdened by the weight of his gear. The camera shakes when he sprints, throws a grenade, does a melee attack, or gets hit. I realize this must kill the fun for some, but in my opinion it helps the game's gritty atmosphere a great deal.

I heard Killzone 3's controls were more light tough, to please a greater deal of audience.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Aren't the Helghast supposed to be sympathetic villains? Sure, some of them are pretty evil, but most of them think of the ISA as expansionist douches who screwed them over before, and want a little bit of payback.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
My, my, you must need a new shelf for that growing Bugbear collection :)

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I dread the possibility that Yahtzee might one day do Goldeneye because:
a). it's on Wii, which is like having four strikes against it before he even puts in the disc,
2). cover-based shooter, but a lot of your cover gets shot away
d). it's difficult to see and shoot enemies at range, but they seem able to hit any square inch of you not in cover from a half-mile off, even on the disney difficulty setting.

Which is a shame because I enjoy the game a lot.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
"Killzone decided to be bolder then that and changed it to R1, which I think would be better suited to a game where you stand behind someone and Tweak their nipples", sorry I just noticed no one quoted that :D

But honestly, Thumbstick for aiming? Or your head always magically floating on the top of cover? Its bad enough to have to be forced to listen to a borish storyline, but with these amatuer mistakes coming from a rich gaming company, just goes to show you can't rely on big name video companies to produce quality work. I suppose we have to rely more on indie games, which I've never been a fan of, at least they still put some heart into and can come up with something unique rather then the same shite.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
RazzleDazzle102 said:
Killzone 1,2,2.5,3..... all boring and all trying way to hard to be like every other shooter and now they (meaning Sony) have the most intriguing "sarcastic finger quotes" add campaign dude since Tom Carvel in the 1980's.
Btw.... Yahtzee is the best reviewer ever, evur, everrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
My God your post hurt my eyes (and brain) a bit.

Quick things:
-I prefer R1 for shooters because the floppy triggers on the PS3 are terrible.

-Great looking game, but the story in KZ3 is really really terrible. FPS games usually don't have the most riveting stories, but still...

-Multiplayer is pretty much the only reason to pick this game up. It's fun to run around and heal people/build turrets/summon mortar strikes/disguise yourself as the enemy.

If you bought the game expecting the greatest campaign ever, you will be sorely disappointed.

EDIT

Longshot said:
bit_crusherrr said:

I've been noticing this too. Nowadays it just seems like he is not reading the manual/skipping the tutorial just to find something to complain about. I don't really blame him, comedy is hard. However if you have to stretch for it like this, maybe you should just take the week off to relax and get back on your game.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
Oh come one, the general cliques is that Americans are ignorant and arrogant, but here Yahtzee says that Americans made Killzone 3, but we can give credit to the Dutch on this one. Insert a joke about Yahtzee projecting onto the US. And while Britain was critical to success in WW2, come on, really, the USA didn't come crawling to the UK to beg for help on either front. I do however remember Churchill saying that the only time he actually thought he was going to lose the war was when both of us were losing the battle of the Atlantic, which was when the USA was sending supplies across the ocean. Such ignorance and arrogance is unbecoming of a non clique American.
Also, great review as always.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
its ridiculus what the consoles are doing with motion controls, on PC there is razor who cares to develop the best tech of it all, so now we hav the final proof that you have to be impotent not to make your major series for PC(but cant the razor make it for the consoles too? O_O).

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Gotta say thats your best work in some time man. Loved it, still giggling and the singular reason I never got into kill zone, the controls, so I totally related.

Nice one.