Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

soldier9501

Jan 15, 2009
Yahtzee seemed to miss the fact that this game was made by a company based in Amsterdam.

And you could switch the crouch/aim buttons. It's called the "Alternate" control scheme.

RazzleDazzle102

Mar 14, 2011
Killzone 1,2,2.5,3..... all boring and all trying way to hard to be like every other shooter and now they (meaning Sony) have the most intriguing "sarcastic finger quotes" add campaign dude since Tom Carvel in the 1980's.
Btw.... Yahtzee is the best reviewer ever, evur, everrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
silv said:
AvsJoe said:
F my luck. My speakers crapped out on me less than 20 minutes ago. I'll have to borrow my mom's laptop if I'm to watch this video.
Maybe try headphones? Just saying :) that's how I'm watching.
Not working either. I'm not getting any more than slight static on 'em. I even mucked around in the sound settings in the control panel to no avail.

silv

Nov 21, 2009
Anyone else think that Yahtzee should make the end statement and the end animation separate? The show would be a little longer, it's kind of difficult to watch both at the same time and hearing more of the music would be great :) Good idea, bad idea, should I just sit in the corner with the hat on?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.
I wouldn't say they are really comparable...

Halo is from the "bulky" shooter archetype, where enemies can frequently take a full clip of an Assault Rifle or any non-power weapon before dying. And multiplayer is about getting the power-weapons and keeping them.

And Killzone is from the "fragile" archetype, where a quick burst of fire from any gun downs an average enemy. And multiplayer is focused around user classes, with the gun you spawned with being the most important.

Both have regenerating health, both are exclusive series, both are FPS games. That's about it for similarities.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahahahaha this is one of the funniest reviews in a while

on another note, I hope he side steps Homefront. I feel like he made the best of the run-off jokes from the likes of Black Ops here, and another run would just be beating a comatose horse lol

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The part regarding the cover system had me laughing out loud.

It's true too. I lost count of how many times I scrambled for cover only to get my face shot off anyway. And I only played the game for about an hour.

silv

Nov 21, 2009
AvsJoe said:
silv said:
AvsJoe said:
F my luck. My speakers crapped out on me less than 20 minutes ago. I'll have to borrow my mom's laptop if I'm to watch this video.
Maybe try headphones? Just saying :) that's how I'm watching.
Not working either. I'm not getting any more than slight static on 'em. I even mucked around in the sound settings in the control panel to no avail.
Darn, well I hope that you can get to listen to it today :)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
soldier9501 said:
Yahtzee seemed to miss the fact that this game was made by a company based in Amsterdam.

And you could switch the crouch/aim buttons. It's called the "Alternate" control scheme.
That just makes L2 crouch a toggle.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I actually laughed out loud while watching this, which is rare for Yahtzee's stuff. Nice video.

soldier9501

Jan 15, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
soldier9501 said:

That just makes L2 crouch a toggle.
Ahh. My bad, I think Alternate switches the melee and aim buttons. L1 to aim, R3 to melee. I liked it a lot more than the standard setup.

Haderos

Dec 4, 2009
3D today is shit, they should get back on trying holographics. When i feel like i'm in the scene i'll be awed.. not if some shitty dustclouds look they're flowing in my direction for a second. :|

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
wooo, more yahtzee hating on the US. *yawn*.

I hate most fps games and got rid of KZ2 because i was underwhelmed.
So naturally this game was a pass before seeing the zp review.

I would have enjoyed this if the review was actually funny, like the black ops review. but what can you say?

Yahtzee, i believe Valkyria Chronicles was probably the funniest review i've ever seen. Please review more JRPG's. Because when a game torments you so blatantly the result always seems to be fucking funny :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, I thought Yahtzee was a bit more in touch with science fiction and fantasy than that.

To be entirely honest, I think one of the reasons why The British tend to wind up in nazi-like roles, is because they revel in it. It has nothing to do with historical fact, but if you take a look at things like "Warhammer 40k" which is a hugely popular franchise, created by and run out of the UK, you pretty much have a game based around the idea of the oppressive regime of "space nazis" are the good guys. You even have heroes running around with names like "Davion Thule" in the video games, Thule being a referance to "The Brotherhood Of Thule" which was the occult organization Hitler apparently belonged to. It's full of little touches like that. However on the other hand it seems very few people sit down and make complaints about it.

I'll also be honest in saying that "Warhammer 40k" isn't the only British walk in the park with this paticular theme. "The Mutant Chronicles" was another franchise from down there that was never a huge success, but has managed to live on the fringes of nerd culture for a very long time now, it just keeps coming back to life in one form or another. The Brits/European faction in that one is again a big "Ruthless Facism is okay if it's justified by an extreme enough threat and a hostile enough enviroment".

Oh and let's not forget 2100AD and Judge Dredd, while set in the USA it's another UK creation, extremely enduring, and it's gone all over the world, and the authorities are hardly any nicer down in Europe. Again it's one of those things where "being a sadistic oppressive twat is okay if the enviroment is hostile enough".

Then we have "lesser" British works of comics, like "V For Vendetta" which while not as over the top as the movie, still featured a very oppressive (if far more benevolent than usual) future society as the backrdrop, without being entirely judgement of it (the name of the game here was how ambigious it all was). Then of course we have guys like "Warren Ellis" who is praised for his British characters, and almost all of them even as straightforward good guys are brutal and fairly sadistic, oftentimes knocking American "nonsense" like morality and the human treatment of the enemy when it comes to combat. I don't totally disagree with them in certain situations (as some might guess), but it's a notable trend.

So really, saying "OMG, where would you get this idea about the Brits forming an aggressive society of pseudo-nazis, it's so anti-thetical to who we are", is kind of silly when you can just point to piles of British fiction on the subject, a lot of which presents such attitudes in a fairly positive light overall when you consider the big picture.

I don't think Brits are actually a group of evil, totalitarian, jerkwads or anything in reality, I mean there is plenty of American fiction that can be seen the same way. An oppressive American goverment is actually a stock villain nowadays, far more so than using Brits (even if it's not uncommon) which is why I think this desician was made.

Honestly, I don't quite get the outcry, to me it seems like black people using a certain "N word" and then complaining profusely when anyone else does it. Except in this case, I don't think most brits object, and would probably wind up thinking the bad guys in "Killzone" are cool just for that reason. Of course I haven't really gauged overall European reactions. The worst I could think of as a resonable action would be saying that it's pretty derivitive with all the similar stuff.

Just something to consider.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Although I enjoyed KZ3, I must agree that the "cover system" flat out doesn't work. It was the rare occasion that getting into cover actually protected me from gunfire. I like the idea of a cover system in a FPS, but when you still get hit from enemies that are directly between you and said cover (and not from the cover being destructable), there's a problem.

I also think having all the Helgast have the same cockney ascept is a bit silly, but keep in mind that the KZ series was not developed by an american team.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
Oh Yahtzee, you adorable curmudgeon. I hope the fact that we all love it so much more when you hate something doesn't turn you into a bitter shell of a man.

...I mean, more than it already has, obviously......

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Lt. Vinciti said:
Finally!

Someone points out that FPS controls for the PS3 are bull!
Because they're so much better on the 360? [/fanboi]

Suppose neither compares to PC really.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Weird that he's complaining about R1 shoot since thats the same for COD, though I suspect he plays COD on 360.

The move itself, in my opinion is crap; however the gun attachment is great for this game.

And I refuse to go with this 3D tv fad that companies are trying to convince us is actually worth the money right after most people had to buy new TVs for the whole digital analog thing or the HD craze of early to mid 2000.