Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
So hold on a second. I get that you're pissed about all the baddies having English accents. But it's developed by a Dutch company, published by a Japanese company, and somehow it's America's fault?

You missed the logic train on this one, Crosshaw.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
On one hand I do agree with him on the whole "British=Evil" rant but on the other I do like the Helghast WAY more than the ISA so them all being British like me sort of endears them to me.

P.S. I personally prefer R3 to aim myself.

bit_crusherrr

Jan 21, 2011
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
HOORAY! Another tiresome brown n' gray cover based FPS with Nazis!

Honestly, why is Killzone so popular? All the games aren't bad and they do have their moments, but as a series, its just average at best. Everything regarding the story and gameplay are a gigantic cavalcade of mind-numbing-by-the-numbers-committee-design blandness. The story is essentially WWII in space, the characters are one note stereotypes, the gameplay is standard and repetitive, and the Helghast armor design is a shameless ripoff of Jin-Roh. Aside from the insultingly good music, there's really nothing about the series that helps it stand out.

Hmmm...

I guess you could say that Killzone his Sony's Halo.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.
Same here, and I've always considered Halo to be a poor man's almost-any-half-descent-FPS-on-PC (I won't get into arguments here, becuase you won't change my position that anyone who says they prefer using a pad to play FPS games is ether a liar or a flipper handed retard that can't live without auto aim). So basically I consider Killzone to be a smelly hobo that pissing in a subway lift.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Urameshi13 said:
So hold on a second. I get that you're pissed about all the baddies having English accents. But it's developed by a Dutch company, published by a Japanese company, and somehow it's America's fault?

You missed the logic train on this one, Crosshaw.
It's cool to blame America for things without any actual evidence these days.

Insulting the US is like insulting Call of Duty or Halo. You don't need evidence or logic to your insult! People will agree with you, anyway!

O.Gordon

Mar 16, 2011
Sorry Yahtzee but EVERY PS3 game (and Playstation console for that matter) has used R1 for shooting! Its just 360's controller where you find its the other way round because it feels right due to the design of the triggers.

pughua

Jan 31, 2010
Ekonk said:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?
He does this with any shooter (OF: Dragon, Medal of Honor, Battlefield) where the protagonists are American. I suppose he assumes because that is so, the devs are American? Though he seems pedantic and anal, so I have trouble believing that. I think he just ignores that half of the shooters involving American/USA protagonists are actually developed by Europeans so he can get his USA hate out of his system.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
I've never understood why people inclined to shout "PSTRIPLE IS BEST CONSOLE EVAR" always use killzone as an example of why said console is "best evar". At best it's just a generic shooter; sure it looks pretty, but everything looks pretty these days. It's so bland and samey and everything comes off as a sort of checklist addition, "oh, we need rail shooting sequences because insert popular game has them."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Isn't R1 fairly commonly used by PS3 shooters as the "fire" button?

I thought that was actually one of the reasons I tended to avoid them on it. Though it's possible I'm misremembering, because it's been a while since I've played a shooter on the PS3. I just remember trying to shoot and doing everything from "dive into cover" to "throw grenade point blank."

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Ekonk said:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?
So the Dutch are taking the piss out of the US of A?

I can get behind that.
Not really its more like they are taking the piss out of the english if 'the cockney english accents being used by the Helghast' that Yahtzee was talking about is something to go by.

Falseprophet said:
So it's revenge on Austin Powers' dad, then?
I just got what you meant. Good one. :D

Also Yathzee please note, We didn't help the USA beat the Germans in WW2, We beat the Germans and the USA jumped in and got shot. Then they went and blew stuff up in an unrelated country.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I had to laugh at the bitching about the 3D tech, because i've been playing with 3D for a while now on my PC (mainly WoW and Left 4 Dead) and i stopped using it for the same sort of reasons described. Things are brought out of the foreground, but it only serves to create this weird puppet-theatre like effect where the middle and backgrounds have different 'layers', leaving you feeling sometimes disoriented when things pop out of the foreground and stand so prominently that everything else feels out of place. Though that's mainly a problem with shooters. I've found Nvidia's 3D Vision to work very well with WoW and integrate the different 'layers far better, as well as actually having a fuller 3d effect to the point of having my sword or whatever actually stick out of the screen slightly as opposed to just bringing everything out of the foreground to exaggerate the difference. (Though you do get that with the character sheet)

Honestly, i don't like motion controls in my FPS games. Actually, i don't like motion controls period. Sure, it worked in Metroid Prime Trilogy, but The Conduit and even Goldeneye? (which is one of my favourite wii games) It feels like it fell flat. It just didn't feel comfortable compared to using a traditional controller with joysticks.

And yes, it is a bit irritating for me as a Brit to be demonised in most mainstream media. It feels like we've been picked on for the villains ever since the original Star Wars! Though i suppose it probably goes back even further than that...

I've heard tell it's just because of our accent. It's so condescending and authoritative compared to the laid back American accent.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Funniest episode in a while, haven't playing the game, which only makes it funnier as my imagination works along the video. Gonna go watch it again (which i may or may not do with every zp video ...)

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Having just played it yesterday with a friend, I have to agree that it isn't anything special. The default control scheme is really annoying as it seems like they switched up meleeing and aiming, but that could be remedied by switching it to the "Alternative" control scheme.

And yeah, the I.S.A. military seems pretty annoying. While there are times when the soldiers disobey orders and don't really get punished right then and there, there are also times when I could help but get angry at them for obeying their superiors incredibly stupid orders ("Fighting, we can't have our soldiers doing that. Everyone retreat!").

Oh and crouching in grass makes you invisible apparently. Unless you yell out "I'm not even crouching!" They they notice you. (All that was based on experience).