Zero Punctuation: King's Quest: A Knight to Remember

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
1,908
0
0
This was a good episode and I got some laughs from it. But I was so hoping Yahtzee would be giving a review to GALAK-Z this week. Ah well, perhaps next week.

Cheers!
 

Transdude1996

New member
Mar 18, 2014
188
0
0
If Yahtzee wants to find an adventure game that isn't trying to recapture the success of LucasArts, I'd recommend that he takes a look into some of Microïds' titles (Especially Syberia since the third game will be releasing somewhere within a year's time, hopefully).
 

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
188
0
0
Designed by someone one suspects has never had an orgasm in their life
Oh man, someone hasn't heard the stories about Sierra in the early 80s.
 

Makabriel

New member
May 13, 2013
547
0
0
A Laundromat run by Genies... oh man, I'm going to have to use that one someday. That was priceless..
 

Blazing Hero

New member
Feb 20, 2015
158
0
0
Sooooo for Yahtzee this sounds like a thumbs up I take it. When he isn't comparing a game to a turd cocktail and mentions actual good aspects I usually assume he thought it was pretty good. Anyway I might go ahead a pick this one up.
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
I thought Graham was that one dude from LoadingReadyRun... ;p

Other than that, at least this game's a step into the right direction of getting out of it's own hole with a clear identity on its shoulders...
 

Thanatos2k

New member
Aug 12, 2013
820
0
0
Thank you for telling the truth about the old King's Quest games. They just straight up SUCKED and I have no idea why anyone considers them "classics" except perhaps a classical example of bad game design you should avoid at all costs.
 

BiscuitWheels

New member
Jan 10, 2009
256
0
0
Out of all the classic Sierra game franchises, King's Quest was the one I never played. All the Space Quests, all the Quest for Glory (my personal favorite), the Larry games and even one of the Police Quest games. But I never could get into King's Quest. King Graham was such a perfect goody-goody that I could never be bothered to care.
 

carewolf

New member
Jan 10, 2015
18
0
0
Thanatos2k said:
Thank you for telling the truth about the old King's Quest games. They just straight up SUCKED and I have no idea why anyone considers them "classics" except perhaps a classical example of bad game design you should avoid at all costs.
Easy, they were "classics" the same way GTA IV or Halo or Unchartered are "classics". They were a) popular, and b) pushing the edges of graphics and machaniscs of story telling in a computer game. Good gameplay had nothing to do with it. No seriously! This was the early 1980s, these games were really pushing the limits back then. Though it is hilarious to say that today.
 

Saika Renegade

New member
Nov 18, 2009
298
0
0
I played a few of the old King's Quest games, possibly out of sadomasochism--on the one hand, I wasn't going to let them beat me even if I burned a few brain cells doing it, and on the other, seeing the numerous stupid, arbitrary ways a game could kill you was weirdly compelling.

Do love that genie pun, though, that was brilliant.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
Why the FUCK was there a Coors ad running in the middle of Yahtzee's first joke of the video? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THSI?! Totally messed up the flow!
 

Spyre2000

New member
Apr 18, 2009
45
0
0
It's nice to hear a review that calls out the "classic" King's Quest for the crap that they were. I played some of them back in the day and the puzzles were just ridiculous at times, with a game that amounted to little more than trial and error rather then actually making some logical sense out of the actions.
 

step1999

New member
Mar 11, 2010
91
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
Why the FUCK was there a Coors ad running in the middle of Yahtzee's first joke of the video? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THSI?! Totally messed up the flow!
That's a video player glitch, the only ad should be before the vid.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
I'd like to see Yahtzee review one of the Nancy Drew adventure games. He thinks the COD series is getting ridiculous with sequels? His jaw will drop when he hears how many games are in that particular franchise(32 to be exact, with 2 games having been released every year since 2001).
 

Steve the Pocket

New member
Mar 30, 2009
1,649
0
0
step1999 said:
Darth_Payn said:
Why the FUCK was there a Coors ad running in the middle of Yahtzee's first joke of the video? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THSI?! Totally messed up the flow!
That's a video player glitch, the only ad should be before the vid.
The trouble is that whoever built their video player decided that if the ad doesn't load fast enough, the video starts right in on its own - probably so people aren't out of luck if the ad server goes down - but doesn't stop the ad from taking control and playing once it has finished loading. Not only that, the ads require Flash even though the player uses raw HTML, so if you don't have Flash or have it set up to run on a need-to-use basis, the video gets covered by a big gray box that you can't even make go away.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
6,641
1,284
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Transdude1996 said:
If Yahtzee wants to find an adventure game that isn't trying to recapture the success of LucasArts, I'd recommend that he takes a look into some of Microïds' titles (Especially Syberia since the third game will be releasing somewhere within a year's time, hopefully).
Wait, there's a third Syberia game on the way? This is the first I'm hearing about this.
 

Adeptus Aspartem

New member
Jul 25, 2011
843
0
0
Uh, a really old beloved franchised get's dragged out of the sewers again and suprisingly stinks like a gorilla ass after Zumba.

News at 11.

Captcha: flag day
Well, half-mast maybe.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
Not even Telltale are doing episodic right anymore. We should just abandon the concept, or release a new episode very week, instead of whenever the hell they feel like it.
 

Bindal

New member
May 14, 2012
1,320
0
0
TB was more positive about the first episode. I might take a look at it. One day. In the future called 2016 or even 2017. As I never cared for the King's Quest series (or any of the Quest games) besides KQ8 - ironically the one called the worst because it wasn't a point-and-click and wasn't even called King's Quest 8 offically.

Also, why the hell did Yathzee use the GERMAN cover for the new King's Quest? Yes, that's the german one. I recognize both the format-info at the top left (which basically only says PC DVD nowerdays because nobody has anything else anymore) and the giant rating box in the lower left - and yes, they are that big and in various color.
 

Yahtzee Croshaw

New member
Aug 8, 2007
11,049
0
0
As someone who played it, it's actually pretty good and has some charm (though sometimes it goes way to Pixar for my taste, though the art design in the game isn't bad as Pixar's). The problem is that it tries to go Indiana Jones Atlantis game route but couldn't bother so you'd do everything else anyways. Other than that the problems are mostly mechanical, some infinite loads, not being able to skip lines (making replay only for the extremely patient), not having a fucking description of the act you are about to do and the one that really pisses me off, one button do all, can't we have a fucking look button, talk button and a use button for old times sake?

Don't get the deaths problem, I'm one of those people who'd purposelly find all the ways to die.
 

Overhead

New member
Apr 29, 2012
107
0
0
Didn't the company embezzle a load of money from a kickstarter to make the game or something?
 

Thanatos2k

New member
Aug 12, 2013
820
0
0
Overhead said:
Didn't the company embezzle a load of money from a kickstarter to make the game or something?
How can you embezzle money from Kickstarter to make a game? You can only embezzle money to NOT make a game if you promised a game.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,696
759
118
Country
Argentina
Never played King's Quest. If it's anything like the Sierra games Yahtzee constantly harps about, I'd rather not.
 

Overhead

New member
Apr 29, 2012
107
0
0
Thanatos2k said:
Overhead said:
Didn't the company embezzle a load of money from a kickstarter to make the game or something?
How can you embezzle money from Kickstarter to make a game? You can only embezzle money to NOT make a game if you promised a game.
After a little googling it appears that a Kickstarter to develop a game called Hiveswap got 2.7 million and the person running it chose the The Odd Gentlemen to develop the game.

The Odd Gentlemen took the money, did did no work on what they'd been paid for and used the money to fund Kings Quest instead. There was an out of court settlement but someone spoke up about it and although they quickly deleted their blog post, it got seen and archived.
 

veloper

New member
Jan 20, 2009
4,597
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
Never played King's Quest. If it's anything like the Sierra games Yahtzee constantly harps about, I'd rather not.
I wish. No, this is more like a Tell Tales product, only a little better actually.

The game has many lame QTEs like TWD and WAU, but it also has a couple clever puzzles, beside a whole bunch of very easy puzzles. If you can forgive the QTEs, it's a genuine, but low difficulty AG, that has some harder optional goals that make it a bit more challenging. Because some achievements are optional that makes them easier to miss, if you're not thinking.

Then the choices and consequences part of it is promising, because this episode does keep good track of some alternative solutions throughout the game and the devs show they can structure a game plot cleverly to make room for such alternative paths, while still reusing their assets.
Future episodes will tell.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
6,641
1,284
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I might pick that up, once they've proven they can stick to a release schedule and if the other episodes are good.

I love the idea of episodic gaming, but a lot of them take forever between updates(not even counting the year long gap between the first and second halves of broken age). Even Taletell seems to take forever and a day to put out new episodes lately. When they first started with Sam and Max, they'd be roughly a month between episodes, but I guess now it depends on how much they like a particular franchise(The GoT episodes are coming out much faster then Tales from the Borderlands, I've noticed).
 

Thanatos2k

New member
Aug 12, 2013
820
0
0
Overhead said:
Thanatos2k said:
Overhead said:
Didn't the company embezzle a load of money from a kickstarter to make the game or something?
How can you embezzle money from Kickstarter to make a game? You can only embezzle money to NOT make a game if you promised a game.
After a little googling it appears that a Kickstarter to develop a game called Hiveswap got 2.7 million and the person running it chose the The Odd Gentlemen to develop the game.

The Odd Gentlemen took the money, did did no work on what they'd been paid for and used the money to fund Kings Quest instead. There was an out of court settlement but someone spoke up about it and although they quickly deleted their blog post, it got seen and archived.
Ah, the old Aliens Colonial Marines Gearbox trick. Well, good to know not to ever give any money to this developer.
 

Carl Morris

New member
Feb 19, 2015
4
0
0
It's weird that Yahtzee hates Sierra games, his own games have more of a Sierra vibe than a lucasarts one, I felt. Not to mention a Sierra engine clone behind them as well...