Zero Punctuation: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
...Yahtzee, what if your hypothetical child really IS a girl?

Also, you can't die in this game? ...Maybe I should go check it out. What happens if you fall down a bottomless pit or into the lava pool?

GxRacer

Apr 15, 2009
That was probably the most brutal review for a video game ever and that's saying something for Yahtzee's reviews.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Lordofthesuplex said:
Madara XIII said:
Nincompoop said:
If this review won't be positive, I will kill you O_O!
*watched*
Aw. But it's so cute, Yahtzee! That should render it immune to scrutiny by default!
That logic only applies to the fairy tale world!

I Loved Yahtzee's review of this. Seriously you really don't die!

WTF!?!?!

TEACH KIDS SOME FAILURE DAMMIT!! It's what inspired us older gamers to do better at a game.

What would Battletoads be with infinite health?
What would Altered beasts be with limitless continues?

Crap what would Mario, Sonic or Megaman be like if they couldn't die!?

Challenge the little buggers Nintendo. You did it so well to us in the past, I think this generation deserves just as much a kick in the ass as we got.
Wario's been in games where you can't die and that's never stopped his game career. Just saying.

And speaking of complaints about not dying, I find it hypocritical of how Yahtzee says the same thing about not being able to die in this game yet in previous reviews, he's mentioned that a "lives system" should be obsolete so anyone can finish a game. Kinda contradictory aint it?

So you want to die in games so they can be challenging but you think "lives systems" are obsolete? Make your mind Croshaw! What do you want games to be?! EASY OR HARD?!
Wario however while well known amongst gamers isn't that big a name to the "casual audience" now a days.

Secondly what someone else said. He feels that the lives system is obsolete because you have to start your progress all the way back from the beginning. (Ex: Sonic) My pet peeve with that was at least let me restart the world instead of the entire goddamn game!!!!

Idk though maybe he's used to the infinite live system.
I for one however am in favor of the lives system. Except in the Super Mario World or Megaman Sense in which you have to restart a whole level when you lose all your lives rather than the whole game like Sonic did.

Good points over all. Sadly I think the DIE or FAILURE element needs to be present within a game if necessary. You want to punish your players brutally, but not to the point where they'll quit out right. No you need to savor their pain and discouragement in small incriments. Bit by delicious bit... MWAHAHAHAHAHAA

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Yahtzee, if you think Fox News is "mainstream", then I wonder what you'd think if you watched CNN, MSNBC, CBS, or ABC. Aka the "If you don't support Barack Obama in every way, shape, or form, then you're a fucking racist!" media...

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Though, I must say, if this game's as bad as you make it out to be, then I can't help but be disgusted with you.

I, myself, enjoy challenging games. And if Epic Yarn has no challenge, which I was hoping that it would because I though the concept could be pretty damn sweet, then that's just one more reason I'm thankful that I have an XBox 360 instead of a Wii.

These days, I wonder what a child would do if confronted by, say, the final levels of Super Mario Brothers 3 or Super Mario world. God help them if they played Devil May Cry...

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
"A game shouldn't be afraid to tell you, YOU FUCKED UP, when I was a kid, they did it with fucking fanfare and rubbed shit in your eyes, AND THAT'S HOW WE LIKED IT!"

This is why I love ZP. He states the truth in out-fucking-landish ways.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
First of all, YES someone who also hates children and isn't afraid to say so.

The Human Torch said:
Further proof that the Wii truly is meant for childeren. First adult who I see playing this game will get a lollypop and a colorful cap with a propeller on top from me.
I love Epic Yarn. It's so cute and it's quaintly fun. On long hard days of wanting to strangle customers I come home, get under a blanket, poor a cup of coffee and play games like these. It's my way of telling a angry psychotic world to go abuse someone else for a while, I'm on break. Now, give me my damn lollipop!

SlothfulCobra

Nov 18, 2009
spwatkins said:
SlothfulCobra said:
... Also, it's pretty terrible that the use of the word "epic" to just mean "cool" is being reinforced more and more.
I remember when this happened to the word "awesome".
It made more sense with "awesome," although it is a bit of a shame that word was cheapened, but "epic" had a more specific meaning, it was supposed to be a noun meaning a sort of long narrative following a legendary hero.

Kirby's no Odysseus, and Meta Knight and King Dedede are no Scylla and Charybdis

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
mjc0961 said:
This game was pretty good, until I tried doing those little mini-games those apartment renters make you do. Holy shit, those things are frustrating and awful. And all you get for doing them was wallpaper I wasn't going to use, more money that I didn't need, and some points towards 100% which doesn't really mean anything important. Yay, I got 100%. So what? Once again I wasted my time playing something unenjoyable for something that when I look back on it now, it means fuck all.

Rest of the game was pretty fun though.

Okysho said:
Also, it looks like Epic Yarn took everything Sakurai couldn't put into SSBB adventure mode and threw it into one big game. I know HAL entertainment are notorious for secrets and backtracking, but FUCK!
Well, it didn't. It was made by Good Feel, not HAL. Thanks for playing though!
Epic Yarn was made by Feel Good AND HAL. Kirby isn't Nintendo's property, it's Masahiro Sakurai's, the owner of HAL who "technically" went 3rd party after finishing Brawl, but still only makes games for Nintendo.

yeah... This is Sakurai's doing...

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
So EA payed so much that even Yahtzee can't say anything about DA2 huh? Lovely.

Anyway, if the game is not a challenge then it's poo. I say we let kids play DMC and not give them food until they're done.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Unhappy Crow said:
I still want this game even if it is short and easy.
Short and easy. Like a promiscuous dwarf.

Sorry, I just had to.

Anyway, good video, funny like always. Don't have a Wii, though, and I don't plan to get one.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, this game is pretty much only challenging if you go for Gold Medals on every stage. (Lousy bleepin' train stages...)

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
The "not dying" thing wasn't that much of a loss for me. I'm the type of perfectionist that tries to get the highest score I can on the first playthroughs of platforming games. Trust me, when you spend all that time collecting those beads to get a gold medal just to have it all lost because you or your partner fall off the stage or got owned multiple times by an enemy, it's pretty much the same feeling you get when you die in any other game.

Not surprising to see Yahtzee didn't like it. This is one of those games that isn't nearly as fun unless you're playing it with someone, unfortunately. Except for the boss stages, which are great, the game as a whole is pretty simple. I never got to that apartment part of the game though. I might have to boot the game back up again.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
This review was epic to the point of going beyond epic and entering MONUMENTAL!!

Not for the actual review of Kirby, mind you, but the social commentary which is especially poignant in it's reflection of today's kids.

This one heads straight up to the top of the list of reviews I favor. And between that and Lisa Foilles Top 5 this week, I am one happy reader (watcher?) whatever.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
I cry myself to sleep knowing that I will never be able to get an XBOX 360 or PS3 because of my family's money troubles. I just have to get my hardcore giggles from the Wii, which is like getting your milk from a coconut.

Think about it.

XxOyasumixX

Mar 23, 2011
Madara XIII said:
XxOyasumixX said:
I miss old school kirby crystal shards for the n64 THAT was an epic kirby game
fire+fire=UBER FIRE
lightning+ice=FRIDGE
Fire+Ice=USELESS

i could name all of them XD
YES YES YES YEEEEEE*Orgasms*EEEES

Thank you for bringing up that awesome game. That's what Kirby was about god dammit.

By far one of the hardest last bosses I've ever faced IMO as well.
I KNOW! such a pain! def my favorite kirby game
Everyone was friends in that game!
whenever I see King Dedede or Waddle Dee as an enemy I'm like NO WAY THEY USED TO BE FRIENDS XD