Zero Punctuation: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Orbitz89

Mar 17, 2011
I honestly really like this game, but it's rather obvious to me why Yahtzee didn't like it.. It's a Nintendo game for one.. and two, you have to have some fraction of a soul.

:p only half kidding Yahtzee, i love your Videos.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Hilarious and true at the same time. I am a huge fan of the Kirby series so I was disappointed with how elementary this game is. Kirby's cute but his games usually fall into that category of games that loudly declare, "YOU SUCK" when you fail to do something. Not Epic Yarn. It really felt like my hand was being held throughout the majority of the game. The only real challenge was to make sure you got everything you needed within a level so you didn't have to go back and replay the whole thing for just one item.

Children eight and under might really like to own this game, but for everyone else I recommend a week-long rental.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Hmm, are we going into anagram territory now? I'd like to see some more of that.

In my opinion, I think that the whole detour to what this games teaches (or not) to young players took a bit long and detracted from an actual review of the game itself (storyline, design, play mechanics, etc). I did enjoy watching this review and Yahtzee's hypothetical child rearing prowess, but if I could not buy a game based on that review alone.

Good job!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
But as we've seen, being a fat girly lad is OK as long as you can piledrive.
I'm going to hell, but I laughed.

Also, Care Bears: Epic Mecha Battles would rock.

Tim Mazzola

Dec 27, 2010
Honestly lately sometimes I feel Yahtzee hates on games just to hate on them. There are so many great things about this game that he simply failed to mention, and a lot about it he just misinterpreted almost specifically to make it look worse than it is. Seriously, Yahtzee, what happened to you pointing out things that were actually bad in games and simply overblowing them for humor's sake? ZP is rather quickly working its way lower and lower on my priority of shows to watch on the Escapist...

Apr 28, 2008
I love the game. Its just fun. Yeah its not really that challenging, but fuck it, its fun, charming, and a joy to play. I had more fun in 1 level then I had in full story modes from most games out these days.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Oh look, another episode where Yahtzee reminds everyone he doesn't like the Wii. *clap clap clap*
/disapointment that he didn't review DA2.

In all seriousness: Yeah, he's right for the most part. The lack of challenge is what seriously cost this game. To all devs: don't be afraid to challenge kids or remind kids that they fucked up! It makes the victory that much more satisfying!

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
icame said:
This game is honestly the only reason I want a wii. That and metroid prime trilogy.
I bought Trilogy despite already owning all three games... (Well my Prime 3 disc broke but that's beside the point), sadly us Europeans only got a shitty cardboard case rather than a metal one like the US did, as usual we get cheated out of stuff like that...

Still, I'd really like it if he did review Trilogy, would be interesting :p

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
DoomBlackDragon said:
So far kids are stupid as hell.
oh please like your generations was any better

Am I the only one who's a bit disappointed that he barley said anything about graphics and art style?

and I guess we will get a more "Serious" look at the game in Extra Punctuation

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
I'm hesitant to say "missed the point", but I feel that the purpose of getting the gems wasn't just to buy stuff for the apartments, but also to get as high a score as possible on each level. Getting the satisfaction of collecting a gold medal, and beating your own score. It's about mastery, not just completion. Kind of like what a shmup might be like if put in an easy-going platformer.

XxOyasumixX

Mar 23, 2011
I miss old school kirby crystal shards for the n64 THAT was an epic kirby game
fire+fire=UBER FIRE
lightning+ice=FRIDGE
Fire+Ice=USELESS

i could name all of them XD

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
And this is one of the prime examples as to why I gave up on the Wii. It's not appealing to me. Yeah, it looks good. But... this is coming from the console whose rampant fanboys tout "it's not the graphics, it's gameplay that makes the game!" Well, explain this game, then. It looks good, sure, but there is no consequence for failure (so you can't call it a "game" so much as it's an "interactive whatsit"), and its gameplay is very subpar (sorry, it is. It's essentially Kirby minus what makes Kirby good). Something any other video game developer would've been given a huge panning for. But Nintendo... they can do no wrong.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
All I can recall about my feelings over this title back when it was announced was a series of imagined frowny faces followed by actually feeling a great deal of disappointment.

I can imagine it's probably at least somewhat entertaining to play if you're like me and grew up with the little pink bastard showing up at some point in your life of playing video games. But now that I'm older and jaded I wonder if there will ever be a proper title released for this old franchise.

But when I come to think about it, that will probably never happen. Or at least if it does it's just a modern re-rendering of old material.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Hmm, so the death system is kind of like Wario Land 2's death system. In which you only lose money when you get hit and you can never die. Of course if you were hit in a boss fight, than you'd get set outside the boss room and you'd have to try again.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Nincompoop said:
If this review won't be positive, I will kill you O_O!
*watched*
Aw. But it's so cute, Yahtzee! That should render it immune to scrutiny by default!
That logic only applies to the fairy tale world!

I Loved Yahtzee's review of this. Seriously you really don't die!

WTF!?!?!

TEACH KIDS SOME FAILURE DAMMIT!! It's what inspired us older gamers to do better at a game.

What would Battletoads be with infinite health?
What would Altered beasts be with limitless continues?

Crap what would Mario, Sonic or Megaman be like if they couldn't die!?

Challenge the little buggers Nintendo. You did it so well to us in the past, I think this generation deserves just as much a kick in the ass as we got.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Irridium said:
I love the game. Its just fun. Yeah its not really that challenging, but fuck it, its fun, charming, and a joy to play. I had more fun in 1 level then I had in full story modes from most games out these days.
The same. All the area's look very cute. The whole game feels like made of yarn and patches.
Indeed the challenge is not that big except if you go and try to go for 100% (like nintendo is known for their ingame achievements). Specially the racing maps are try and error or remembering the complete map (like the old 8-bit games).

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
XxOyasumixX said:
I miss old school kirby crystal shards for the n64 THAT was an epic kirby game
fire+fire=UBER FIRE
lightning+ice=FRIDGE
Fire+Ice=USELESS

i could name all of them XD
YES YES YES YEEEEEE*Orgasms*EEEES

Thank you for bringing up that awesome game. That's what Kirby was about god dammit.

By far one of the hardest last bosses I've ever faced IMO as well.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Wow! That review was full of venom and as a result I loved it. Very funny episode this week!