Zero Punctuation: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
ADDLibrarian said:
Ok, so I've gone through and found the only letters you don't have on your list are Q, X (I don't count Xbla) and Y

Suggestions:
Q- Sorry, all I can find is Quake, Queen Singstar, and Q-Bert. Help me out guys! Maybe there's a Quest of the blah blah type game somewhere.

X- X:Beyond the Frontier (ooh it's a space game- you like space games, right?), X-Men game (i.e. X-Men Legends, X-Men Next Dimension, etc.)

Y- You Don't Know Jack (oh please oh please oh please), Yogi Bear (oh boooooy a movie license game), Yoshi, Yakuza, Yugioh
Well, Graham Stark appeared for a mini-review of X-Blades (before Yahtzee appeared and booted him to review HALO Wars). Does that count?

Come to think of it, I think that X-Blades review was an April Fool's joke. And April Fool's Day is just over a week away. I say, brace for April Fool's jokes from Zero Punctuation and Unskippable next week, fellow Escapists...

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Alright, so I didn't really expect anything different from a review of a game like this from a guy like Yahtzee, but one thing I do want to complain about was his portrayl of Kirby in this review. It sucks.

And I don't mean that in a "lol Kirby literally sucks up stuff" sort of way, I mean it's a lame representation of what Kirby's supposed to look like.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
WHAT? This came out last September over here!
Fuck Australia!
mgabrys said:
I haven't seen it yet. Is there 15 minutes of bashing America for a game produced in Amsterdam? Oh gosh I so hope ...

Coming up next, blaming Australians for something the Austrians did, and blaming Brits for something in Azerbaijan. Gee this is fun.
He's a comedian. Have a sense of humour about it.
Anyway, it's only 5 minutes of Ameribashing. and he doesn't make any jokes about America.

Kanazuchi

Aug 20, 2008
Is it me, or is Kirby the brand name Nintendo sticks on their more innovative (i.e. not another bloody Mario/Zelda/Metroid) games? I'm looking over the few Kirby games I have on hand, and they don't play like each other.

mgabrys

Mar 24, 2011
re:"He's a comedian. Have a sense of humour about it."

You're right - I should wait for his montage of jokes about people in Japan floating face-down in the water while radioactive. That'll be a laff-riot. After all he's a comedian and you should have a sense of humor about the new Japanese game, "umumi-puffypuffy - drowny drowny nuclear core go explodey explodey".

And I won't take offense because "He's a comedian. Have a sense of humour about it.". That makes it all better.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Great review! I don't see the point in games where there is no challenge whatsoever. You might as well make a Kirby Yarn cartoon movie and sit the kids in front of it then.

This has me think back to a brief rental with Kirby and the Crystal Shards for the N64. From what I played, it was a pretty fun platformer what with the combos and everything when you absorbed enemies. But these days the cuteness in that would still be overpowering; I can't imagine this yarn version sans any difficulty. That's partly why I don't turn on my 360: Damn cutesy avatars...[footnote]The other part being that I don't use it.[/footnote]

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Thank you Yahtzee for turning that ridiculous child argument around with evidence. Parents are always screaming "what about the children" and "won't someone think of the children". So I'll just go with what George Carlin said about the children.

When you boil down things enough to "sanitize" material for children, this is the kind of crap you are left with, and what real messages are the kids getting from these experiences, if anything at all?

Honestly, I've always felt that Nintendo had a good marketing strategy to aim towards a young audience. Those of us who grew up with the first Nintendo always thought we'd have Mario throughout our lives, living through new adventures and watch as Mario kept up with the times and we'd all be old and still trying to save the princess in another castle. How does a guy (Bowser) with no pants afford so many damn castles anyway? But unfortunately, Nintendo has let a few of our childhood memories fall to the wayside only to be appealing to the next generation. I agree, I have no concept on the point of what Kirby is, but I get the feeling you'd get more accomplished by plugging a Kirby vacuum into a tv than playing that game. And it would teach kids something!

BreakdownBoy

Jan 21, 2011
WTF!!!! Who gives a shit about this crappy wii game?! You would review wii games ment for retards but won't review epic RTS games like Star Craft or Total War?

Tormuse

Nov 18, 2009
Due to the kerning of the title, I had to scrutinize the ZP menu screen and came to the conclusion that the game is called, "Kirby's Epic YAM." Considering all the eating Kirby does, that title could work too! :)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Kanazuchi said:
Is it me, or is Kirby the brand name Nintendo sticks on their more innovative (i.e. not another bloody Mario/Zelda/Metroid) games? I'm looking over the few Kirby games I have on hand, and they don't play like each other.
Funnily enough, Kirby is one of Nintendo's best-selling franchises, and is right behind Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Metroid in terms of popularity.

CriticalGriffin

Jan 18, 2010
Sooo, how was the game like?

... No seriously, how was the game? I don't think I ever got an answer for that in the review.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
wheres my pokemon murder simulator?

CriticalGriffin said:
Sooo, how was the game like?

... No seriously, how was the game? I don't think I ever got an answer for that in the review.
If that remains unanswered after you watched a review, not worth it.

BreakdownBoy said:
WTF!!!! Who gives a shit about this crappy wii game?! You would review wii games ment for retards but won't review epic RTS games like Star Craft or Total War?
those types of games are only played by fanboys of that genre, so they already have their audience.

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
Mydnyght said:
Well, Graham Stark appeared for a mini-review of X-Blades (before Yahtzee appeared and booted him to review HALO Wars). Does that count?

Come to think of it, I think that X-Blades review was an April Fool's joke. And April Fool's Day is just over a week away. I say, brace for April Fool's jokes from Zero Punctuation and Unskippable next week, fellow Escapists...
Oh you're right! X is crossed off the list then!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Selvec said:
All the new games out, and you pick a game that was released a few months ago xD.

Its always nice to hear Yahtzee take the piss out of a Wii game, even one that doesn't use that horrible masturbation aid.
but you DO realize how he complained about release delays? It was released on feb 24 in AUS (compared to oct 17 in the US), so it's not THAT old for him. XD

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Man, I remember what it was like as a kid, every slip up was a death, every death took you closer to the game over screen and when you get there...saves? Don't make me laugh.

If you want to finish a game you have to do it in one marathon sitting (though they were thankfully shorter)...

Giving kids games where you can't die...honestly...give them the pain, the mockery when you lose out! Watering it down now will only give them hope! Crush it, let them know how their dreary life will really pan out (and that getting stabbed kills you, not makes you lose money)