Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
It is kind of hard to keep motivation in a case that will move on regardless of your decisions.

direw0lf

Mar 31, 2009
great review. I personally love the story of the game and find myself not wanting to stop in the middle of a case :)

Kitsume

Oct 21, 2008
Interesting review of this I do believe its funny. I would like to try this game even if the ending is very very absurd using a flamethrower. -Imagines that- Hmm actually sounds kinda fun.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
There are many times, watching these videos, that I like the joke but don't get how Yahtzee found some issue or decided something was bad. But the glasses comment on the early mission is exactly the same thing I thought.

Your character clearly states that the glasses had been repaired on home. The wife says they are new. I go "Gotcha! LIAR!" and the character starts accusing her of being at the crime scene! I'm sitting there going "Whoh whoh whoh! I'm just working the glasses angle man! Why are you calling her the murderer?!"

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well, I can honestly say I knew all the jokes he was gonna make before I pressed play, mostly because I had already made most of them myself. But he said them in a vaguely british and or australian accent, so they're funnier now!

RavenDrake

Mar 21, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
It is kind of hard to keep motivation in a case that will move on regardless of your decisions.
Agreed... while I understand it, it would be nice to see the game take that sort of thing into account as you move forward and let your abilities in the puzzle/detective side guide your final ending...

Ie: If you do really well with those aspects, you'll get better information giving you a different finale than someone who wings the interviews but aces the shootouts.

Preferably something less flamethrower-y.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I kind of expected this. The crime scene analysis always tends to be an interesting balance between what you can let the player analyze and making sure they don't waste hours looking at the wrong thing.

The notion that the case seems to go on with or without me is a big discouragement point, though. Pity, because Noire seems for the most part a very positive step but it would have been nice if it had taken a few more.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
One thing i found myself thinking on was during the interviews if I get like 4 questions in and fuck up the fifth one, or worse get every question wrong, it had to have been the most disappointing feeling I've ever felt. In games like red dead and fallout and a whole truck load of other games, I have the option to save before I piss away 1000 bucks at a gambling table. In Noire it auto saves before you go into the house so not only do you have to go through the unskippable talking and banter beforehand but you also lose out on the experience you would get for getting the interrogation right the first time.

I don't know if that's bad or good.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Best review in ages, worth the wait.
Also i think that Noire having an e on the end was because La is male, and so the e goes on the end of the word to make it male too. Otherwise it would be L.E. Noir... but unfortunatly its not Los Engeles so L.E. wouldnt make sense

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
After I saw "Brink" last week I knew it'll be L.A. Noire this one... but you're going to do Witcher 2 next week... right... right? It's not going to be some special E3 episode again? Or you're going to do both, amirite?

IDTheftVictim

Jan 20, 2011
I had a feeling that interogation system was going to have that exact same problem, what's wrong with just telling the player what his own character is going to say exactly?

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Quite frankly, I think a car mounted on top of another car would be the greatest form of transportation ever concieved by man.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
So the game would be better if they sprang some less cash on mocap and a bit more on changing interogation with every person so you can know what reaction is gonna be produced, like "Lie" into "I think you're lying, why don't you tell me what really happened Miss" being different from "God damn it, if you don't tell me truth I'm gonna take these broken glasses I found next to a garbage can near the crime scene and stuff them up where the sun don't shine, you digg?!".
It's kind of a big miss in the whole gameplay part of the game...still, thumbs up for a different kind of gameplay in the mainstream.

The bodies might be rigid, but to me the hats are even creepier...and boy, are there a lot of hats.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Determining when a suspect was lying was just too easy. I agree when Yahtzee said that the final part should have been an extra hard interrogation, but I suppose it's got to remain playable not only for the intelligent gamer, but also for the dumbass 12 year olds who scream at their parents until they eventually give in and buy a game too old for them

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
ChildofGallifrey said:
I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).
Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I'm just happy Rockstar is trying something new with L.A Noire, focusing on story and investigation.

If one company does sandbox well it's Rockstar, but for those of us who consider 'Games as Art' I think L.A Noire is a step in the right direction even if that step is a wobbly one.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Jonci said:
There are many times, watching these videos, that I like the joke but don't get how Yahtzee found some issue or decided something was bad. But the glasses comment on the early mission is exactly the same thing I thought.

Your character clearly states that the glasses had been repaired on home. The wife says they are new. I go "Gotcha! LIAR!" and the character starts accusing her of being at the crime scene! I'm sitting there going "Whoh whoh whoh! I'm just working the glasses angle man! Why are you calling her the murderer?!"
Lol.. yea.. that was very jarring. I also found myself wondering why my character is shouting at witnesses for what I thought was no apparent reason. But I figured it might have to do something with the whole Noir thing. Maybe that was the style back then?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Sooo... the "Big Sleep" ends with Marlowe losing it and going postal on the criminal underworld with a flamethrower? That's... really disappointing.

Imagine if Sherlock Holmes closed out the Resident Patient with a Rambo marathon... and now I've given Hollywood another bad idea to realise on celuloid...

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Oh hello THread.
Here you are.
I was looking for you earlier when I was needlessly (it seems) making comments with my Facebook.
What a dummy.

I was kind of surprised how not-negative the critique was. To me, this is barely something you could consider a game but he seems pretty into it, the criticisms were not about the idea of NOIRE existing but more of little niggling things.
Are you softening in your old age?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Why was ZP so late today? It's a...
*puts on sunglasses*
mystery
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Limecake said:
I'm just happy Rockstar is trying something new with L.A Noire, focusing on story and investigation.

If one company does sandbox well it's Rockstar, but for those of us who consider 'Games as Art' I think L.A Noire is a step in the right direction even if that step is a wobbly one.
Could have easily been another GTA.

OT: Challenging Hitler to pictionary? Hmm...

*scribbles down on list of game ideas*

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
DragonLord Seth said:
From what I understand/have heard, Rockstar does not take to kindly to LPs because they think that if people watch the game, they are less likely to buy it. I could be wrong on that though.

OT: This did look like a fun game, so I think I may get it later. But that glasses thing? Funny as hell.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
plugav said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."
I do not know how much truth there is to this but I recall that the extra "e" was just a programming error they just went with...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/rumour-la-noires-development-more-of-a-mess-than-wed-imagined-rockstar/

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
And yet some people say that Yahtzee has no credibility as an actual game critic. That review pretty much lined up perfectly with not only my thoughts on the game but also touched upon the most common issues others had with the game.

Either way, it's really too bad that more people don't mention the impact the fancy new-fangled facial capture technology being stapled onto the same body models RockStar has been using since GTA3 has. It's such a blatantly obvious and extremely distracting visual break that so few people comment on.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Yahtzee seemed to have more mixed feelings about this one, but overall I'd think the game managed to hold up quite well in ZP. My copy is sitting beside me as I type this, I'll start playing on Monday. Can't wait.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
L.A. Noire, it was a great idea, but it was handled so badly. The cars handled like Da Vinci's tank would have (the real one, not the AC: Brotherhood one) Wooden or chain link fences that wouldn't stop a bicycle in other games could smash the shit out of a heavy 40's car, and in the interrogations, it was impossible to know whether to go for doubt or lie. So often I'd review the evidence, find nothing that was conceivably related to the question, pick doubt, and be told I was wrong. Come to think of it, why were the music chimes for right and wrong so damned similar? It just became unbearable after the homicide cases, hell even those bored me about halfway though. I thought my local shop was driving a hard bargain offering 45 euros of store credit if I could bring the game back in a week, but after finishing it, I was glad to be rid of it.

Bre2nan

Nov 18, 2010
that whole "the character goes down a tangent I don't want them to" reminds me of Mass Effect 2. Pretty much any game where you pick a vaguely-described angle and watch your guy talk about it for a little bit will have that problem where he's not saying exactly what you thought he would say. It's like when your player character acts stupid during a cutscene: such a jarring loss of control carrying your character in a direction you don't want him to go is just kind of an insult to the whole "game" thing where you're supposed to be in control.

I much prefer the straight up simple conversation system where you pick something for your character to say and they say it. Doesn't need to be more complex than that

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
I think I know the case he was on about with the two flimsy defendents. It's the golden butterfly, and it is fairly obvious who the game wants you to blame, but what annoyed me was that you couldn't ask the new def (who is a child molester to boot) what his shoe size was and the really vague questions you asked in the final interorgation. Just felt like the molester had been thrown in to create a new bad guy.

Eitherway, I'm loving the game so far, and although the critisms are fair, I still think Phelps is a much better PC then most.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I'm confused. He didn't complain too much about it but usually if he likes a game, he outright says so.

XcessGAMR

Dec 20, 2007
Just finished it a few hours ago.
Yahtzee you charismatic stallion you've done it again
Particularly loved the Captain Scarlet reference and totally agree on the interview problems. Either way though this game damn good and I think anyone who's been on the edge as to whether or not they should buy this game should give it a go!

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
This game just wasn't for me, it was far to depressing, and even though you have a huge map you can't go into any of the buildings outside of the main storyline anyway.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Jonci said:

Yeah, its one of the examples of the sometimes GLARING logical issues the game has, and feels like points where the developers WERE going somewhere with the angle, but decided last minute to say "fuck it" and no go with it while leaving in that hint of said angle.

Really pissed me off, since I've actually had a rather flawless record with clues and questions with the cases I've done, besides that one... FUCKING question...
My friend also did the same exact thing too.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
A fun rental but I?m glad I didn?t buy it.
I found the interrogations to be really unintuitive too. I?m trying to needle for some more info and my character starts foaming at the mouth. I thought the system would be more laddered but it felt more like a cutscene with a random ending.
And yes, while the characters certainly look more detailed, they don?t look any less creepy and inhuman.
I?m surprised Yhatzee didn?t mention the hand-holding or the Newspapers. Are they for anything or have I just not gotten to that part yet?

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Dexter111 said:
After I saw "Brink" last week I knew it'll be L.A. Noire this one... but you're going to do Witcher 2 next week... right... right? It's not going to be some special E3 episode again? Or you're going to do both, amirite?
He's probably going to wait a week or two after E3 to do a video about it. That's how he usually works, giving the game/event time to sink in before deciding to rip it to shreds with a semi-automatic machete.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Robot crime detective...... *Sigh* Well I'll get a garbage bag for all the torn off limbs.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
fascinating...lol anyway, it's definitely something I wanna play...when I have time...which is now I suppose but when I find a way that's not buying or renting (for like 3 weeks) it cuz I'm spending wayy too much on games this summer x.X

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
plugav said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
I think Los Angeles/L.A. is feminine, as are all cities in the French language, IIRC.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
CopperBoom said:
I do not know how much truth there is to this but I recall that the extra "e" was just a programming error they just went with...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/rumour-la-noires-development-more-of-a-mess-than-wed-imagined-rockstar/
Wow, there's a fun piece of trivia.

Falseprophet said:
I think Los Angeles/L.A. is feminine, as are all cities in the French language, IIRC.
That would make sense, but it would also make the game's title translate as "Black L.A.," which seems a bit strange.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Is it just me, or does Yahtzee's depiction of Cole Phelps in this review look like Inspector Gadget?

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Like most other people my major complaint about L.A Noire is the fact that what you're doing most of the time doesn't matter, the shooting is fun sure, but if you die you get a game over and reload to your last checkpoint, so why the hell don't you just reload too your last checkpoint if you fuck up an interrogation so bad there's no way the guy could ever reasonably be charged with the crime?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... a flamethrower?

Really?

Someone enlighten me here, does that actually happen or was that just a joke?

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
HankMan said:
Why was ZP so late today? It's a...
*puts on sunglasses*
mystery
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
I think your avatar really made the joke for me there.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
WanderingFool said:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...
And silent hill 2... and prince of persia... and batman arkham asylum.... and portal 1 & 2

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
draythefingerless said:
Hal10k said:
Quite frankly, I think a car mounted on top of another car would be the greatest form of transportation ever concieved by man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xd97HeY70

enjoy
As much as I enjoy Top Gear, as soon as I heard car on top of another car I thought of something a little different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxaKk98wKik

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
Wait... a flamethrower?

Really?

That actually happens.

It's even in the ESRB rating. "BEWARE! FLAMETHROWER VIOLENCE!"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Liked how you compared Cole Phelps with a robot,pretty funny and good review.

Looking forward to see Witcher 2 next week(hopefully).

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Amazingly, this nowhere near the most vicious review I've read today about this game. But as usual, it's the most hilarious one

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
After watching this I will consider getting it. It actually seemed like he liked it to some extent. Sadly it's not for PC...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Well worth the extra wait!
Coal, we hardly knew ye.

Ooh, I hear there's a Serious Sam 3 trailer out today.
Hope Yahtzee's cold obsidian hard get's a bit warmer because of it. ;-)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
CM156 said:
DragonLord Seth said:
From what I understand/have heard, Rockstar does not take to kindly to LPs because they think that if people watch the game, they are less likely to buy it. I could be wrong on that though.

OT: This did look like a fun game, so I think I may get it later. But that glasses thing? Funny as hell.
I'm watching GhostRobo's LP, and he talked to Rockstar. He even gave away some free copies, with RS' permission, of course.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
As I recall, Sierra did an detective investigation game based on Bladerunner in the early/mid 1990's that basically ran into all of these issues as well, but was a cool game nonetheless. I am disappointed that the guys at Rockstar were unable to do better than a 20 year old game.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
plugav said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
Not sure. I briefly thought it might have to do with the majority of the cases revolving around women (at least up to Vice, I haven't finished it yet).

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
necromanzer52 said:
I'm confused. He didn't complain too much about it but usually if he likes a game, he outright says so.
No, that's if he absolutely loves it.

If he just nitpicks but isn't too vicious, chances are he likes it, but is aware of the flaws.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Heh, that was the first review since Burnout Paradise that really made me laugh out loud, rather than snigger or chuckle throughout. He picks out everything that is "wrong" with the game while still not actively hating it.

And I think he had the same reaction as me when Greg Grunberg appeared. :D

chris_ninety1

Feb 23, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Zhukov said:
Wait... a flamethrower?

Really?

That actually happens.

It's even in the ESRB rating. "BEWARE! FLAMETHROWER VIOLENCE!"
There is a degree of logic in terms of the storyline though. There are a numerous references to a large heist of weapons from a ship bringing WW2 soldiers back home (indeed, it's one of the major focal points of the later missions), and they used flamethrowers during WW2 so it's conceivable that they would be amongst the weapons stolen, and the player finds it amongst a large stash of said weapons from said heist. It might be a bit of a stretch granted (why, after all, were they all down in the sewer to begin with - did they guy you were chasing after put them there?), but if it is the biggest stretch in the game, compared to the biggest stretches in most other games it's not as bad as you'd think.

Aiberg

Oct 2, 2009
I disagree with much of the critisicms. It was never hard to keep motivation in a case that will move on regardless of my decision. If anything it made think twice to make sure I'm doing the right thing. The notion that the case seems to go on with or without me is a huge point. It's like real life. Shit happens!
OK the ending is not great but I don't really find it absurd. A game is likely to end with a shooting showdown and flamethrower has a place in the story so why not?
There is also disapproval about repaired glasses claimed to be new issue. It is not entirely out of place when Phelps starts shouting and accuses the wife of being at the crime scene and not simply lying about the glasess. It isn't so mundane to be lying to a detecetive about a crime and get away with it. He may very well be just provoking her. Otherwise he is also aware that just because she lies about the glasses doesn't mean she was at the crime scene.
One critisicm I totally agree, however, is the same body models RockStar has been using since GTA3. "It's such a blatantly obvious and extremely distracting visual break" as StriderShinryu said.
And I didn't like the driving mechanism here just like i didn't like it in GTA IV. Same thing about shooting mechanism, especially with getting in and out of covers.

Sep 17, 2009
Uh spoiler alert? Thanks...

Anyway decent review it seems like you actually really liked it.

By the way Noire is spelt with an "e" for the game because it is play on words. "Noire" is the feminine form of "noir", so it's supposed to be like La Noire and L.A. Noire.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
I'm honestly kind of excited for this game, but maybe that's because I love police-stuff. Either way, I think the investigative aspect is going to be fun to play, and it seems that, Yahtzee, in his own way, might have begrudgingly thought the same.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Are there tons of spoilers in this review? I plan on playing the game soon, but I really want my weekly dose of ZP.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
A Hermit's Cave
WanderingFool said:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...
Oh, he loves plenty of games: Portal; Prince of Persia; Psychonauts; Batman AA; & Bioshock. OK, not plenty, but they exist... games he loves.

OT: Yeesh, more than two pages in and I'm the first person to mention I loved his 'Tony Blair = LIAR' dig. The eyebrow was a nice touch too. Hyuk hyuk.

Worth it, despite the wait.

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
CM156 said:
DragonLord Seth said:

You're half right. Rockstar doesn't like LPs when the game still hasn't been released worldwide. Now that LA Noire is out everywhere then they're cool...On the other hand I heard Take2 have been flagging YouTubers for having game footage. But I'm doing an LA Noire playthrough and no problems so far *knocks wood*.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I can actually say that I agree with Yahtzee on this game for once. Don't get me wrong, I have been singing L.A. Noire's praises before it even came out, and I'm not finding myself eating my words, but I really agree with the acting/lying thing as well as the weird body motions, for if nothing else, making me laugh at the hilarious stilted arm animation movements. I laughed so damn hard.

Anyway, I agree in the end, although I haven't beat it, I feel a little bummed that the end of the entire game will really be a major shootout. It's a fun mechanic, but I actually like the case solving parts, really. Makes me long for the days I can wear a yellow hat and coat and speak "I'm On My Way" into my watch without any sense that people are staring at me like I escaped from a mental facility or something.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
I actually found the review quite funny as he mentioned things that pissed me off as well (I also got yelled at for 123910238 hours because I chose the "wrong" guy), but I actually really, really liked Phelps. I'm surprised Yahtzee characterized him as a robot, because Phelps is a really interesting and unique character.

Point is, I loved the game, but the ZP of it was hilarious as well.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
You know the hamsters powering the Escapist servers are having problems when Zero Punctuation is late.

But interesting to hear. And that REALLY better not be how it ends... sounds like it got a case of executive meddling there...

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who made that exact mistake. The freaking glasses are repaired, she says he got a new pair, but you're incorrect for point ing that out. It's really, REALLY weird.
Still, aside from that I freaking LOVE this game and I hope it encourages other developers to realize that we don't need to have our most significant interactions with other characters be down the barrel of a gun.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
There could have been some simple fixes to the question issues. Simply add some text to lie. There were too many times he went way off from what the person was talking about, and go nuts accusing them of murder. Other times the person would make a vague statement that would in no way fit any clues I had, but if you choose lie it would go on a tangent and match up perfectly with one of my clues. Just do a Mass Effect like choice next to lie where you at least get the gist of the accusation about to be made. Instead you have to choose lie every time, then check evidence, and back out if it doesn't fit.

I too was frustrated with being forced to charge someone. Too many times I wanted to let everyone go, but I never got the chance. I know that is part of the deal, but you should be given the option to leave a case open with some consequences (like losing the ability to ask for help from a parter or some other problems within the police department).

Overall it's worth playing, but there are some huge holes in the game.

BTW...to the poor handling cars. I know it's mostly the Rockstar engine, but cars back then did handle like they had another car attached to them. So that is actually somewhat accurate.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
YOU PROMISED YOU WOULDN'T DO CAKE JOKES!!!

MY EYES! ZE CEILING KITTEHS ZEY DO NO FAP WATCHING!

But, it was a pretty cleverly hidden one. And now, of course, you'll deny it and I'll have to let everyone know I know your tell. Way to fuck up my poker game.

Well played, Mr. Crenshaw, well played indeed.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I would've been upset about the spoiler if I hadn't stopped caring about L.A. Noire the moment I got to Vice.

And I wouldn't say Cole Phelps is a robot; Afterall, robots are cool. I'd say he's more of a dead fish.

PleasantAsAHeadcrab

Jan 22, 2011
This was more positive than I expected. :/ Granted, I saw posters for L.A Noire on the train a couple weeks ago and promptly thought 'Oh god here we go again'. Though...I'm not sure why I thought that. I'm not familiar with nay other games like L.A Noire. But the principle of the thing is that I thought it looked /bad./

Yahtzee makes it sound like it might be worth checking out...? Maybe..?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
cefm said:
As I recall, Sierra did an detective investigation game based on Bladerunner in the early/mid 1990's that basically ran into all of these issues as well, but was a cool game nonetheless. I am disappointed that the guys at Rockstar were unable to do better than a 20 year old game.
Westwood, not Sierra.

The old Blade Runner game was actually quite awesome for it's day, since it randomised who was a replicant to some degree, and did have quite a lot of branching outcomes (not just covering for you when you sucked, the whole course of the game could change)

And, of course, it was actually Noir, which L.A. Noire really isn't. It should really be called something like L.A. Pastels. None of the characteristics of film noir cinematography or storytelling are present, all there is is the setting.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I, *gasp*, agree with Yahtzee. The story is utter Rockstar bollocks that copies the best bits off L.A Confidential (a masterpiece), and fills the other stuff with the idiotic bits they do so well.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Please don't become a real detective then.

(Recaptcha was 'uzerep COPLAND'!)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I couldn't disagree more with Yatzhee on this one.

L.A. Noire is one of the best games I've layed in a veeeeeeeeery long time.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
What exactly is the point of a largly story-based game founded on interrogations if the final climactic sequence is a shootout? You wouldn't see Phoenix Wright ending with a quicktime event or something.

And that's not to say you couldn't have a final shooting sequence, but can that come alongside a very difficult interrogation? Possibly right before or right after?

That's the problem with mixing gameplay styles like this. There's no way to satisfy fans of both because they may require completely different pacing, and if one is to be perfect the other might be found wanting.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Thrashgrinder said:
Well he didnt rip the game a new one. which means he liked it. so yeah
Were we watching the same review? He gave it a passing grade at best.

Regardless of what he says I won't be bothering with this game either. Rockstar games are pretty boring and the "story" aspects of the games are pretty weak.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
floppylobster said:
-Dragmire- said:

Don't worry, the paperwork is too much of a turn off for me to consider it anyway... and I'm not a people person.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
got to say, the driving is supposed to feel like that, your not driving a ferrari, your driving a car from the mid 40's, plus you are walking and running in shoes and a suit, not trainers and a track suit.

other than that little gripe, good review, it even made me laugh a few times, which is rare.

cant wait for extra punctuation, no know where he says, it was a good game, but could have been better by doing this.

eightbitsprite

Oct 4, 2010
"No combs have to be combined with shoelaces to form makeshift grappling hooks.." Nice reference, right there, Yahtzee. :D

amitypants

May 3, 2011
Thanks for ruining the end yahtzee! :(
Okay, really though, funny as always. I had the exact some response with the glasses, ah, silly game :D

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
floppylobster said:
-Dragmire- said:

Don't worry, the paperwork is too much of a turn off for me to consider it anyway... and I'm not a people person.
That, and every case you encounter moves on regardless of your decisions and it's very hard to keep motivated as cases pile up.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Dexter111 said:
I doubt he'll do The Witcher 2.

A. It's a sequel.
B. He didn't even make it through the first one.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I did that EXACT same thing with the guy's broken old glasses and the wife saying he just got a new pair. So I hit lie and now Cole is saying she killed her husband. What?! At least you can back out of a lie accusation if Cole starts spouting off about something you didn't want (and like it says in the video, you do eventually learn to pick lie first every time just to see if the person you're talking to changes the subject to a piece of evidence he's sure you don't have but you do). But if he does it for doubt, you're screwed. And then sometimes you pick "truth" and he accuses them of not being completely honest anyway! Why even label the options as "truth", "doubt", and "lie" if Cole's reaction is just going to be whatever he feels like doing?

And yeah, those cases where you have enough evidence to say that two different suspects might have done it but you know they both probably didn't suck. But too was surprised when I got chewed out for picking the wrong one, especially since the "wrong" one had slightly stronger evidence against him even though you know neither guy did it, so it makes more sense to pick him and then you get chewed out. And then of course, you do find out later than you were right about neither of them doing it. Yay.

Good game, but certainly room for improvement if they make an LA Noire 2.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
Yay for the Space Quest box Yahtzee! Man, I grew up with those games. Though if anything LA Noire reminds me a bit of Gabriel Knight, being a detective thing and all.
I liked the game, but yeah RoboPhelps certainly needs to get a grip on his anger management, like when he yells at the landlady and calls her a old hag!

Mar 20, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Thrashgrinder said:

Regardless of what he says I won't be bothering with this game either. Rockstar games are pretty boring and the "story" aspects of the games are pretty weak.
Well if that's what you think, then that's what you think.

And i would recommend this game to you.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
DragonLord Seth said:
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!
Here ya go!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qFWQ2g64JY[/youtube]

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
robot_slipper said:
I liked the game, but yeah RoboPhelps certainly needs to get a grip on his anger management, like when he yells at the landlady and calls her a old hag!
That part was funny, especially so because the answer that involved calling her and old hag was the right one. And then your partner makes a couple comments about that outburst as the case goes on.

E-Penguin said:
DragonLord Seth said:
Here ya go!
You're doing it wrong. It's "{youtube=video ID only}". But with the proper brackets (why does this forum not support noparse?).

So like this:

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I agree with this review in many ways. Though the game itself is beautifully rendered, and the overarching story is definitely a catcher, I did notice the very similar plot from L.A. Confidential (incidentally being one of my favorite movies).
Still, R* made a good game and one I thoroughly have enjoyed. Hopefully DLC for it will be worth getting, maybe even GTA4-style side-stories.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
floppylobster said:
-Dragmire- said:
floppylobster said:
-Dragmire- said:

That, and every case you encounter moves on regardless of your decisions and it's very hard to keep motivated as cases pile up.

When I use the words 'move on' I'm not referring to the progression of time. What I am referring to is the progression of an interactive story that does not require any specific path to progress.

It's like playing Super Mario Bros where falling down a hole results in mario jumping back out commenting on how he shouldn't have jumped down in the first place.

I find failure less threatening in a game when you don't lose anything or get set back in any way. Why should I care about decisions I make if they progress the story in a similar way regardless of which ones I pick?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well, even if the ending is completely insane, I can at least enjoy the trip to get there. (waiting for payday so I can buy this game.)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Thrashgrinder said:
Akalabeth said:
Thrashgrinder said:

Well if that's what you think, then that's what you think.

And i would recommend this game to you.
I might buy this game when it drops to 20 dollars. But not before.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
The final case was massively dissapointing. I was expecting an exciting fighting with the flame thrower guy. But it ended with basically a cutscene. That was really weak ending.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
I have rather lost interest in this game. I'm about halfway through, and got bored enough to start watching netflix instead. For a "sandbox" game, I haven't felt any real urge to go exploring. I just found myself plowing through, and letting other people drive the whole time. This city just feels monotonous.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
When I first heard of this game and who was behind it (or at least partially behind it), I was expecting it to just be GTA, set in the 40's. Now having actually seen footage from the game I can say that I was pleasantly surprised.

CryoSynth

Jun 2, 2011
I didn't accuse the wife of lying about the glasses because there's a difference between lying and simply not knowing the truth.

I really think the point of the lying accusation going over-the-top is simply to show what a mistake you made in your assumption. It's too easy to let you off with calmly telling her you found the old glasses and her explaining that she didn't know - that gives you your answer still despite choosing the wrong option. So, you choose the wrong option and Cole makes a wrong assumption, which leads to a horribly wrong course of action that hinders his case; this more accurately portrays a mistake I think.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Best Review thus-far! encore!

way more analysis this time, or perhaps i'm just fast enough to pick up on it by now, lol
it would be unfitting to skim review a detective game though wouldn't it :D

Raven's Nest

Feb 19, 2009
I got yelled at too for arresting the wrong Guy on that case. Pissed me off when I learned it was someone else too... feels bad man....

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Nice Bill Hicks reference at the end, Yahtzee.

Now I'm going to be calling people who act like robots like Yahtzee did - by fusing numbers and letters in their last name. However, that's going to invite some particularly difficult challenges, especially if they're last names are longer than ten letters.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
The entire time I watched the review I envisioned Yahtzee as inspector gadget because of his hat color.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
WanderingFool said:
What about Portal? What about Silent Hill 2? What about Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? What about Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Psychonauts, Painkiller, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Thief: The Dark Project, or Fallout 3?

...Granted, most of those are games he grudgingly admitted to liking, but still, they're pretty much on the same level as Saints Row 2.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Im glad im not the only one who noticed how creepy the realistic faces look on not-so realistic bodies. The game itself is very nice.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Note to self: never watch a yahtzee review if I haven't completed the game yet. thank you for that flamethrower spoiler, I might have been pleasantly surprised.

If I have any complaint about the game, it's the street crime. When I'm cruzing around hollywood when suddenly I get a dispatch call for, say, shots fired, and the only way to respond is to drive for like 10 minutes all the way to the other side of the massive, samey map...

oh, or when I cap a suspect in the head, but the investigation afterwords shows bullet holes all over him. with no head wound. mfw.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
Yahtzee... This is the absolute best review you ever did. You are absolutely right about the whole freaking flawed game mechanics. It's a stupid egg hunt show. It's nothing more than a freaking rock paper scissors game. It's nothing more than those stupid CSI games from a few years back, except with fancy graphics, great facework, and some pointless city driving. I find the most entertaining thing about the whole freaking game to ram my car into other cars and see the damage and see the other fuck step out of the car so I might get the pleasure of running them over. It's a mediocre game. It's nothing special. Fuck LA Noire and the marketeers who should have brought it out as an expansion pack to GTA. Fuck them and their mothers. Best review you ever did. Respect.

The fucking dagger of amon ra was better than this.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:

By the way Noire is spelt with an "e" for the game because it is play on words. "Noire" is the feminine form of "noir", so it's supposed to be like La Noire and L.A. Noire.
Beaten to the punch.

I studied linguistics and have a good grasp of french, so yeah, this makes sense. Except for the fact tha "Los Angeles" translates (from spanish, in french there's no "los", but "les") to "The Angels" in the male genre so basically the title only works as a play on words but not at all on a grammatical sense. It probably relied on an American audience ignorance on french or maybe it is just true that it was originally a misspell they liked to keep.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
E-Penguin said:
DragonLord Seth said:
Here ya go!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qFWQ2g64JY[/youtube]
MB202 said:
WanderingFool said:
What about Portal? What about Silent Hill 2? What about Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? What about Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Psychonauts, Painkiller, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Thief: The Dark Project, or Fallout 3?

...Granted, most of those are games he grudgingly admitted to liking, but still, they're pretty much on the same level as Saints Row 2.
Not to mention Dead Rising 2.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
The real faces robot bodies thing was the first thing I noticed about this game and I thought it would put people off, forgetting of course that shit heads will buy table tennis from Rockstar games. So even though I'm not playing, my brother pre ordered the thing and is enjoying it, though he seems to dislike the central protagonist.

GrayWolf323

Mar 23, 2009
honestly I really wanted this game to be good but the further into it I get the more I hate the story

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Great episode. Oh, and what is mogworld like, because I'm thinking about buying it?

riojohn

Oct 7, 2010
So was the comb on a bit of string a reference to the old Yahtzee adventure game, or is there an adventure game in more recent memory that has a comb on a bit of string?

Because I'm pretty sure he is taking the piss out of his own game if thats the case.

The trials of Odysseus Kent.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Good vid, my exact thoughts on the game as well. Hate the hand holding aspect, how can you feel like a detective if you are pointed to every clue? The game would be hard if it was left up to you also. Not sure how this could be dealt with in future games unless they had two modes. But then now they have the tech and face stuff sorted, the can put more time in everything for the sequel.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
I figured I had better not watch this review until I beat the game, just in case our favorite limey decided to let loose with the major spoilers. But he didn't do that bad of a job.

Anyway, Yahtzee, you have a great point about the "Adventure Game Logic" to this game. I had massive flashbacks of playing Indiana Jones & the Secret of Atlantis while making my way through this game. There were many times, especially in the later cases, where I was like "What do you want me to do?!" Particularly this one arson case where that game was going to stick me talking to that neighbor UNTIL THE END OF TIME!

Bottom line, no shame in the occasional perusing a strategy guide on this one, folks. Other than that, great game.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
shame this game dint come out for the pc. but maybe after a year or so it might come out for it. at least the GTA titles always did. i just hope that the optimization will be good. not like with GTA 3 were you have to install patches just to get it work. thats why i never got my self GTA 4 because it was poorly optimized for the pc that it had even trouble with ATI cards.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
You also get circumstances where the guy you are interrogating clearly says something that contradicted stuff I accepted as truth that he said before, why won't Cole call him out on that.

The structure of the game is just too tight, you aren't allowed to ask a new question, you aren't allowed to go back to a scene or a house in case you want to check something again, and you aren't allowed to continue investigating even when its clear that the guy you just locked up was innocent, and you clearly know that if you went back to X place you could prove it.

Other than that, it's a solid game, it's certainly better in my opinion that the last few rockstar games (GTA4 and RDR), but then again, thats 3 games from 3 different studios, and Team Bondi was mostly independent from Rockstar.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
JustaGigolo said:
New drinking game.

Every time Yatzhee mentioned hitler in this review, take a shot.
Game on... >.>

OT: I giggled at the end of this video :') definitely picking this up!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
MB202 said:
WanderingFool said:

I get the feeling he likes most of the games he talks about (unless he blatantly says he hates it) he just isn't afraid to point out the flaws in the games. cause if he didn't there would be no point to his video's at all.

I mean regardless what he thought of it, we all know he is on his DS now playing Pokemon Black...

Derelict Frog

Jun 7, 2010
frans909 said:
Yahtzee... This is the absolute best review you ever did. You are absolutely right about the whole freaking flawed game mechanics. It's a stupid egg hunt show. It's nothing more than a freaking rock paper scissors game. It's nothing more than those stupid CSI games from a few years back, except with fancy graphics, great facework, and some pointless city driving. I find the most entertaining thing about the whole freaking game to ram my car into other cars and see the damage and see the other fuck step out of the car so I might get the pleasure of running them over. It's a mediocre game. It's nothing special. Fuck LA Noire and the marketeers who should have brought it out as an expansion pack to GTA. Fuck them and their mothers. Best review you ever did. Respect.

The fucking dagger of amon ra was better than this.
I think you're missing the point. Mr Croshaw never said any of those things.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
MB202 said:
WanderingFool said:

While I knew there were more games... fuck em. SAINT ROW 2!!! Also, HE actually liked COD4 and FO3? I need to watch those videos again...

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
SandroTheMaster said:
I studied linguistics and have a good grasp of french, so yeah, this makes sense. Except for the fact that "Los Angeles" translates (from spanish, in french there's no "los", but "les") to "The Angels" in the male genre so basically the title only works as a play on words but not at all on a grammatical sense.
If it was supposed to make grammatical sense, as in "the black angels" or something, "noire" would be in plural anyways, since with Latin languages adjectives don't only agree in gender but in number as well.

Falseprophet said:
It depends. It's certainly correct to use feminine for cities it the subject is "the city of" since the word "city" is feminine, then again it's usually correct to use masculine as well if the subject is the name of the city itself.
This page [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Los_Angeles] for instance about the Greater Los Angeles Area calls it "Le Grand Los Angeles", and "grand" is masculine.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
Derelict Frog said:
I think you're missing the point. Mr Croshaw never said any of those things.
If I wanted to repeat his exact words, I'd just post a link to the video.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I'm roughly halfway through this game, and while I really like what they're trying to do with it and I enjoy a breath of originality amidst a billion cover based shooters, the gameplay can, as Russ Pitts put it in his review, frequently piss me right the fuck off. It's the worst kind of annoyance because you can see the potential, but it never quite reaches it.

I couldn't really care less about the shooting and driving mechanics; I'm prepared to suffer through their vagrancies if I can get to some serious detective work. But the clue gathering mechanic and the interviews, which should be the meat and bones of the game, are seriously underwhelming. You find so much evidence that you never.ever.use, and once you realise that only a magic handful of the supposed 'clues' are going to come up in interviews, you stop paying attention to their particular nuances and just let the game hold your hand the whole way. And the interviewing - oh, the interviewing. I agree with everything Yahtzee has said here, but moreover, I'd like to add that the truth/doubt/lie system is completely wasted in this game because it's either piss easy or ridiculously hard. And we're not talking hard because you run into any super-skilled actors, it's hard because you sit there trying to figure out what kind of logic was running through the writer's head when they penned this script.

Honestly, half the time you're not trying to figure out whether what the person has said is true or not: you're trying to figure out which way they programmed Cole to get the information. Sometimes he will use 'truth' to get more information out of people in the exact same manner as he uses 'doubt'. Sometimes he'll completely change his bloody question during 'lie', which leaves me wondering 'am I saying their response to the first question is a lie, or the second one?' And the choice of evidence you use to prove them wrong is sometimes ridiculous. For example: Cole asks a guy if anyone would want to harm his wife. He says no. I went through doubt and truth and both times got them wrong, so I reloaded and hit lie. Suddenly Cole is accusing him of using rope from his boat to strangle her. What.The.Hell. Completely different question! At no point have you come across any motive for the husband to kill her, much less have any evidence to support that motive.

It's such a shame, because otherwise this could be one of the best games I have ever played.

Nabirius

Dec 29, 2009
I find it amusing that he essentially wanted the final boss of this game to be more like a Phoenix Wright boss.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Flamethrowers? Really?

I heard this game had some substantial flaws, but ultimately succeeded in what it wanted to do. Apparently every reviewer agreed however that shootings and cars were pretty much unnecessary, but it's the first time I heard about it ripping off L.A. Confidential. So much for the plot I guess, but apparently the interrogations were fun mostly.
(Not like I could get it if I wanted without any consoles aside from my GBC)

I wonder if there will be a sequel or spiritual successor without the shooting and driving that apparently was just forced onto it.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I'll probably pick this up later on when its cheaper, I'm interested in the concept but the whole ending sounds kind of lame.

Nuclear Pancake

Aug 29, 2009
YESSSSSS i was so glad when he mentioned the broken glasses to the widow, it completely broke immersion for me.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
WanderingFool said:
MB202 said:
WanderingFool said:

While I knew there were more games... fuck em. SAINT ROW 2!!! Also, HE actually liked COD4 and FO3? I need to watch those videos again...
To quote from his COD4 review:

"It deserves the praise it gets... mostly."

And

"There are two kinds of games: games that I've stopped playing because I've been bored or frustrated to a state of rigor mortis, and games that I've stopped playing because I noticed I should of had dinner two hours ago, and Call of Duty 4 is in the latter category."

To quote his FO3 review:

"...Yeah it's alright, I guess."

Basically, you need to actually pay attention to what he's saying and look beyond the mountains of complaints.

DanDeFool

Aug 19, 2009
Now I just know I'm going to insult someone by calling them a "discarded fag package", in spite of the fact that I live in one of those countries where 'fag' hasn't meant 'cigarette' in at least fifty years.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
This is one of those games that you'll get the same experience by watching someone else play it while occasionally tossing on Gears of War. There's really no reason to buy it. Irony of it is Take Two realized this also and did their best to shut down streams of L.A. Noire for the first day or two. Never a good sign when even the studio realizes that letting people watch the game completely negates the need to actually purchase it.

This should have been a budget title but instead they pumped too much money into the facial expression stuff and ultimately ended up with a $60 Police Quest 360.

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
I made the SAME exact mistake with the glasses part. She technically was lying so... Damn you lying L.A. Noire!

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
SandroTheMaster said:
Nautical Honors Society said:

Beaten to the punch.

I studied linguistics and have a good grasp of french, so yeah, this makes sense. Except for the fact tha "Los Angeles" translates (from spanish, in french there's no "los", but "les") to "The Angels" in the male genre so basically the title only works as a play on words but not at all on a grammatical sense. It probably relied on an American audience ignorance on french or maybe it is just true that it was originally a misspell they liked to keep.
It's actually a noun referring to the film noir style. Technically this would not have an 'e' on the end but who's quibbling.

OT: So in summation an interesting game mechanic let down by inconsistent dialog selection, a dull sand-box, and ridiculous ending sequence....

I haven't played it so...

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Brilliant. Personally I loved it as I miss the days of Monkey Island. It wasn't completely faithful to those days but I don't hate cover based shooting.

One thing I do want to make clear is that the whole body thing was because of 1. how long the game was and 2. heads took lots of processing power.

Basically, you want it to be as realistic as the head all over, tell Sony to hurry up and make the PS3. Team Bondi did a phenomenal job working with the resources they had, just saying.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Marik Bentusi said:
Flamethrowers? Really?

I heard this game had some substantial flaws, but ultimately succeeded in what it wanted to do. Apparently every reviewer agreed however that shootings and cars were pretty much unnecessary, but it's the first time I heard about it ripping off L.A. Confidential. So much for the plot I guess, but apparently the interrogations were fun mostly.
(Not like I could get it if I wanted without any consoles aside from my GBC)

I wonder if there will be a sequel or spiritual successor without the shooting and driving that apparently was just forced onto it.
Take everything Yahtzee says with a grain of salt. Like L.A Confidential it is faithful to the Noire period of film, the plot is not a rip off it just adheres to a particular style of story telling and actual events of the period. For the most part....

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Spot fucking on ZP, once again. This game just wasn't all that great, regardless of how most people rave on about it. Nice facial animations but meh, that just doesn't do it for me.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
CriticKitten said:
I kind of expected this. The crime scene analysis always tends to be an interesting balance between what you can let the player analyze and making sure they don't waste hours looking at the wrong thing.

The notion that the case seems to go on with or without me is a big discouragement point, though. Pity, because Noire seems for the most part a very positive step but it would have been nice if it had taken a few more.
Bangtidy that means it's realistic don't it?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The case developing without the investigator is realistic? No, not at all. The game should not drive itself into loop-de-loops trying to keep the trail from running cold. That is not realism. If the game was entirely "realistic", then over 90% of the cases in the game would remain unsolved, like in real life. You have a rather skewed view of how crime solving works. Too much CSI? :p

But granted, that sort of gameplay wouldn't be "fun", so indeed, all cases should be solvable. That doesn't mean that the game should be built such that, if you miss rather critical clues to solving the case, the game should invent ways for you to get back on the trail. The game should kick you in the rear for being a lousy detective, then force you to try again so that you look harder next time, because that's how actual detective work works.

Jmech4889

Jun 5, 2011
There's a menu option to turn off the clue indicator, making it so you have to search for clues the old fasion way. Use that and turn off auto aim and the game will suddenly become challenging.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
WanderingFool said:
MB202 said:
WanderingFool said:

He explicitly stated he liked inFamous as well in his review of it.

Besides, his ZP persona is a lot more gruff than what he behaves like outside of it.

OT:Fun episode and yeah, the 'twist' of the last missions is pretty dumb ._.

Jedted

Mar 13, 2008
He failed to mention that you can turn the Clue Hints(vibration and chime) off if you don't want the investigations to be too easy.

Overall the story side of things make this game worth checking out. Also the conspiracy later on, which i won't spoil too much, makes the game a lot more interesting.

There are some pretty good actors in it aswell. I liked Greg Grunberg's character and thought he was really good.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Redlin5 said:
Limecake said:

Could have easily been another GTA.

OT: Challenging Hitler to pictionary? Hmm...

*scribbles down on list of game ideas*
problem is is that it is GTA but instead of being a neutral guy just trying to survive your an actual cop picking up cocaine and delivering it has been replaced with finding evidence and doing what you will with that and many more moments of being annoyed by your freinds *gta 4* is now replaced with interrorgation.

I want to see rock* *though LA confindential wasn't made by them just published* make something other then a freaking sandbox game because they will keep doing stuff like this.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I just realized that I don't think Yahtzee has ever reviewed an actual tactical shooter. He should as part of his genre exploration.