Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

anian

Sep 10, 2008
So the game would be better if they sprang some less cash on mocap and a bit more on changing interogation with every person so you can know what reaction is gonna be produced, like "Lie" into "I think you're lying, why don't you tell me what really happened Miss" being different from "God damn it, if you don't tell me truth I'm gonna take these broken glasses I found next to a garbage can near the crime scene and stuff them up where the sun don't shine, you digg?!".
It's kind of a big miss in the whole gameplay part of the game...still, thumbs up for a different kind of gameplay in the mainstream.

The bodies might be rigid, but to me the hats are even creepier...and boy, are there a lot of hats.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Determining when a suspect was lying was just too easy. I agree when Yahtzee said that the final part should have been an extra hard interrogation, but I suppose it's got to remain playable not only for the intelligent gamer, but also for the dumbass 12 year olds who scream at their parents until they eventually give in and buy a game too old for them

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
ChildofGallifrey said:
I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).
Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."

Limecake

May 18, 2011
I'm just happy Rockstar is trying something new with L.A Noire, focusing on story and investigation.

If one company does sandbox well it's Rockstar, but for those of us who consider 'Games as Art' I think L.A Noire is a step in the right direction even if that step is a wobbly one.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Jonci said:
There are many times, watching these videos, that I like the joke but don't get how Yahtzee found some issue or decided something was bad. But the glasses comment on the early mission is exactly the same thing I thought.

Your character clearly states that the glasses had been repaired on home. The wife says they are new. I go "Gotcha! LIAR!" and the character starts accusing her of being at the crime scene! I'm sitting there going "Whoh whoh whoh! I'm just working the glasses angle man! Why are you calling her the murderer?!"
Lol.. yea.. that was very jarring. I also found myself wondering why my character is shouting at witnesses for what I thought was no apparent reason. But I figured it might have to do something with the whole Noir thing. Maybe that was the style back then?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Sooo... the "Big Sleep" ends with Marlowe losing it and going postal on the criminal underworld with a flamethrower? That's... really disappointing.

Imagine if Sherlock Holmes closed out the Resident Patient with a Rambo marathon... and now I've given Hollywood another bad idea to realise on celuloid...

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Oh hello THread.
Here you are.
I was looking for you earlier when I was needlessly (it seems) making comments with my Facebook.
What a dummy.

I was kind of surprised how not-negative the critique was. To me, this is barely something you could consider a game but he seems pretty into it, the criticisms were not about the idea of NOIRE existing but more of little niggling things.
Are you softening in your old age?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Limecake said:
I'm just happy Rockstar is trying something new with L.A Noire, focusing on story and investigation.

If one company does sandbox well it's Rockstar, but for those of us who consider 'Games as Art' I think L.A Noire is a step in the right direction even if that step is a wobbly one.
Could have easily been another GTA.

OT: Challenging Hitler to pictionary? Hmm...

*scribbles down on list of game ideas*

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
DragonLord Seth said:
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
From what I understand/have heard, Rockstar does not take to kindly to LPs because they think that if people watch the game, they are less likely to buy it. I could be wrong on that though.

OT: This did look like a fun game, so I think I may get it later. But that glasses thing? Funny as hell.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
plugav said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).
Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."
I do not know how much truth there is to this but I recall that the extra "e" was just a programming error they just went with...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/rumour-la-noires-development-more-of-a-mess-than-wed-imagined-rockstar/

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
And yet some people say that Yahtzee has no credibility as an actual game critic. That review pretty much lined up perfectly with not only my thoughts on the game but also touched upon the most common issues others had with the game.

Either way, it's really too bad that more people don't mention the impact the fancy new-fangled facial capture technology being stapled onto the same body models RockStar has been using since GTA3 has. It's such a blatantly obvious and extremely distracting visual break that so few people comment on.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Yahtzee seemed to have more mixed feelings about this one, but overall I'd think the game managed to hold up quite well in ZP. My copy is sitting beside me as I type this, I'll start playing on Monday. Can't wait.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
L.A. Noire, it was a great idea, but it was handled so badly. The cars handled like Da Vinci's tank would have (the real one, not the AC: Brotherhood one) Wooden or chain link fences that wouldn't stop a bicycle in other games could smash the shit out of a heavy 40's car, and in the interrogations, it was impossible to know whether to go for doubt or lie. So often I'd review the evidence, find nothing that was conceivably related to the question, pick doubt, and be told I was wrong. Come to think of it, why were the music chimes for right and wrong so damned similar? It just became unbearable after the homicide cases, hell even those bored me about halfway though. I thought my local shop was driving a hard bargain offering 45 euros of store credit if I could bring the game back in a week, but after finishing it, I was glad to be rid of it.

Bre2nan

Nov 18, 2010
that whole "the character goes down a tangent I don't want them to" reminds me of Mass Effect 2. Pretty much any game where you pick a vaguely-described angle and watch your guy talk about it for a little bit will have that problem where he's not saying exactly what you thought he would say. It's like when your player character acts stupid during a cutscene: such a jarring loss of control carrying your character in a direction you don't want him to go is just kind of an insult to the whole "game" thing where you're supposed to be in control.

I much prefer the straight up simple conversation system where you pick something for your character to say and they say it. Doesn't need to be more complex than that

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
I think I know the case he was on about with the two flimsy defendents. It's the golden butterfly, and it is fairly obvious who the game wants you to blame, but what annoyed me was that you couldn't ask the new def (who is a child molester to boot) what his shoe size was and the really vague questions you asked in the final interorgation. Just felt like the molester had been thrown in to create a new bad guy.

Eitherway, I'm loving the game so far, and although the critisms are fair, I still think Phelps is a much better PC then most.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I'm confused. He didn't complain too much about it but usually if he likes a game, he outright says so.