Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
draythefingerless said:
Hal10k said:
Quite frankly, I think a car mounted on top of another car would be the greatest form of transportation ever concieved by man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xd97HeY70

enjoy
As much as I enjoy Top Gear, as soon as I heard car on top of another car I thought of something a little different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxaKk98wKik

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
Wait... a flamethrower?

Really?

Someone enlighten me here, does that actually happen or was that just a joke?
That actually happens.

It's even in the ESRB rating. "BEWARE! FLAMETHROWER VIOLENCE!"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Liked how you compared Cole Phelps with a robot,pretty funny and good review.

Looking forward to see Witcher 2 next week(hopefully).

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Amazingly, this nowhere near the most vicious review I've read today about this game. But as usual, it's the most hilarious one

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
After watching this I will consider getting it. It actually seemed like he liked it to some extent. Sadly it's not for PC...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Well worth the extra wait!
Coal, we hardly knew ye.

Ooh, I hear there's a Serious Sam 3 trailer out today.
Hope Yahtzee's cold obsidian hard get's a bit warmer because of it. ;-)

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
As I recall, Sierra did an detective investigation game based on Bladerunner in the early/mid 1990's that basically ran into all of these issues as well, but was a cool game nonetheless. I am disappointed that the guys at Rockstar were unable to do better than a 20 year old game.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
plugav said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).
Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."
Not sure. I briefly thought it might have to do with the majority of the cases revolving around women (at least up to Vice, I haven't finished it yet).

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
necromanzer52 said:
I'm confused. He didn't complain too much about it but usually if he likes a game, he outright says so.
No, that's if he absolutely loves it.

If he just nitpicks but isn't too vicious, chances are he likes it, but is aware of the flaws.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Heh, that was the first review since Burnout Paradise that really made me laugh out loud, rather than snigger or chuckle throughout. He picks out everything that is "wrong" with the game while still not actively hating it.

And I think he had the same reaction as me when Greg Grunberg appeared. :D

chris_ninety1

Feb 23, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Zhukov said:
Wait... a flamethrower?

Really?

Someone enlighten me here, does that actually happen or was that just a joke?
That actually happens.

It's even in the ESRB rating. "BEWARE! FLAMETHROWER VIOLENCE!"
There is a degree of logic in terms of the storyline though. There are a numerous references to a large heist of weapons from a ship bringing WW2 soldiers back home (indeed, it's one of the major focal points of the later missions), and they used flamethrowers during WW2 so it's conceivable that they would be amongst the weapons stolen, and the player finds it amongst a large stash of said weapons from said heist. It might be a bit of a stretch granted (why, after all, were they all down in the sewer to begin with - did they guy you were chasing after put them there?), but if it is the biggest stretch in the game, compared to the biggest stretches in most other games it's not as bad as you'd think.

Aiberg

Oct 2, 2009
I disagree with much of the critisicms. It was never hard to keep motivation in a case that will move on regardless of my decision. If anything it made think twice to make sure I'm doing the right thing. The notion that the case seems to go on with or without me is a huge point. It's like real life. Shit happens!
OK the ending is not great but I don't really find it absurd. A game is likely to end with a shooting showdown and flamethrower has a place in the story so why not?
There is also disapproval about repaired glasses claimed to be new issue. It is not entirely out of place when Phelps starts shouting and accuses the wife of being at the crime scene and not simply lying about the glasess. It isn't so mundane to be lying to a detecetive about a crime and get away with it. He may very well be just provoking her. Otherwise he is also aware that just because she lies about the glasses doesn't mean she was at the crime scene.
One critisicm I totally agree, however, is the same body models RockStar has been using since GTA3. "It's such a blatantly obvious and extremely distracting visual break" as StriderShinryu said.
And I didn't like the driving mechanism here just like i didn't like it in GTA IV. Same thing about shooting mechanism, especially with getting in and out of covers.

Sep 17, 2009
Uh spoiler alert? Thanks...

Anyway decent review it seems like you actually really liked it.

By the way Noire is spelt with an "e" for the game because it is play on words. "Noire" is the feminine form of "noir", so it's supposed to be like La Noire and L.A. Noire.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
I'm honestly kind of excited for this game, but maybe that's because I love police-stuff. Either way, I think the investigative aspect is going to be fun to play, and it seems that, Yahtzee, in his own way, might have begrudgingly thought the same.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Are there tons of spoilers in this review? I plan on playing the game soon, but I really want my weekly dose of ZP.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
WanderingFool said:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...
Oh, he loves plenty of games: Portal; Prince of Persia; Psychonauts; Batman AA; & Bioshock. OK, not plenty, but they exist... games he loves.

OT: Yeesh, more than two pages in and I'm the first person to mention I loved his 'Tony Blair = LIAR' dig. The eyebrow was a nice touch too. Hyuk hyuk.

Worth it, despite the wait.

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
CM156 said:
DragonLord Seth said:
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
From what I understand/have heard, Rockstar does not take to kindly to LPs because they think that if people watch the game, they are less likely to buy it. I could be wrong on that though.

OT: This did look like a fun game, so I think I may get it later. But that glasses thing? Funny as hell.
You're half right. Rockstar doesn't like LPs when the game still hasn't been released worldwide. Now that LA Noire is out everywhere then they're cool...On the other hand I heard Take2 have been flagging YouTubers for having game footage. But I'm doing an LA Noire playthrough and no problems so far *knocks wood*.