Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
The entire time I watched the review I envisioned Yahtzee as inspector gadget because of his hat color.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
WanderingFool said:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...
What about Portal? What about Silent Hill 2? What about Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? What about Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Psychonauts, Painkiller, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Thief: The Dark Project, or Fallout 3?

...Granted, most of those are games he grudgingly admitted to liking, but still, they're pretty much on the same level as Saints Row 2.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Im glad im not the only one who noticed how creepy the realistic faces look on not-so realistic bodies. The game itself is very nice.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Note to self: never watch a yahtzee review if I haven't completed the game yet. thank you for that flamethrower spoiler, I might have been pleasantly surprised.

If I have any complaint about the game, it's the street crime. When I'm cruzing around hollywood when suddenly I get a dispatch call for, say, shots fired, and the only way to respond is to drive for like 10 minutes all the way to the other side of the massive, samey map...

oh, or when I cap a suspect in the head, but the investigation afterwords shows bullet holes all over him. with no head wound. mfw.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
Yahtzee... This is the absolute best review you ever did. You are absolutely right about the whole freaking flawed game mechanics. It's a stupid egg hunt show. It's nothing more than a freaking rock paper scissors game. It's nothing more than those stupid CSI games from a few years back, except with fancy graphics, great facework, and some pointless city driving. I find the most entertaining thing about the whole freaking game to ram my car into other cars and see the damage and see the other fuck step out of the car so I might get the pleasure of running them over. It's a mediocre game. It's nothing special. Fuck LA Noire and the marketeers who should have brought it out as an expansion pack to GTA. Fuck them and their mothers. Best review you ever did. Respect.

The fucking dagger of amon ra was better than this.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Uh spoiler alert? Thanks...

Anyway decent review it seems like you actually really liked it.

By the way Noire is spelt with an "e" for the game because it is play on words. "Noire" is the feminine form of "noir", so it's supposed to be like La Noire and L.A. Noire.
Beaten to the punch.

I studied linguistics and have a good grasp of french, so yeah, this makes sense. Except for the fact tha "Los Angeles" translates (from spanish, in french there's no "los", but "les") to "The Angels" in the male genre so basically the title only works as a play on words but not at all on a grammatical sense. It probably relied on an American audience ignorance on french or maybe it is just true that it was originally a misspell they liked to keep.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
E-Penguin said:
DragonLord Seth said:
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!
Here ya go!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qFWQ2g64JY[/youtube]
MB202 said:
WanderingFool said:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...
What about Portal? What about Silent Hill 2? What about Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? What about Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Psychonauts, Painkiller, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Thief: The Dark Project, or Fallout 3?

...Granted, most of those are games he grudgingly admitted to liking, but still, they're pretty much on the same level as Saints Row 2.
Not to mention Dead Rising 2.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
The real faces robot bodies thing was the first thing I noticed about this game and I thought it would put people off, forgetting of course that shit heads will buy table tennis from Rockstar games. So even though I'm not playing, my brother pre ordered the thing and is enjoying it, though he seems to dislike the central protagonist.

riojohn

Oct 7, 2010
So was the comb on a bit of string a reference to the old Yahtzee adventure game, or is there an adventure game in more recent memory that has a comb on a bit of string?

Because I'm pretty sure he is taking the piss out of his own game if thats the case.

The trials of Odysseus Kent.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
I figured I had better not watch this review until I beat the game, just in case our favorite limey decided to let loose with the major spoilers. But he didn't do that bad of a job.

Anyway, Yahtzee, you have a great point about the "Adventure Game Logic" to this game. I had massive flashbacks of playing Indiana Jones & the Secret of Atlantis while making my way through this game. There were many times, especially in the later cases, where I was like "What do you want me to do?!" Particularly this one arson case where that game was going to stick me talking to that neighbor UNTIL THE END OF TIME!

Bottom line, no shame in the occasional perusing a strategy guide on this one, folks. Other than that, great game.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
shame this game dint come out for the pc. but maybe after a year or so it might come out for it. at least the GTA titles always did. i just hope that the optimization will be good. not like with GTA 3 were you have to install patches just to get it work. thats why i never got my self GTA 4 because it was poorly optimized for the pc that it had even trouble with ATI cards.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
You also get circumstances where the guy you are interrogating clearly says something that contradicted stuff I accepted as truth that he said before, why won't Cole call him out on that.

The structure of the game is just too tight, you aren't allowed to ask a new question, you aren't allowed to go back to a scene or a house in case you want to check something again, and you aren't allowed to continue investigating even when its clear that the guy you just locked up was innocent, and you clearly know that if you went back to X place you could prove it.

Other than that, it's a solid game, it's certainly better in my opinion that the last few rockstar games (GTA4 and RDR), but then again, thats 3 games from 3 different studios, and Team Bondi was mostly independent from Rockstar.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
JustaGigolo said:
New drinking game.

Every time Yatzhee mentioned hitler in this review, take a shot.
Game on... >.>

OT: I giggled at the end of this video :') definitely picking this up!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
MB202 said:
WanderingFool said:

I get the feeling he likes most of the games he talks about (unless he blatantly says he hates it) he just isn't afraid to point out the flaws in the games. cause if he didn't there would be no point to his video's at all.

I mean regardless what he thought of it, we all know he is on his DS now playing Pokemon Black...

Derelict Frog

Jun 7, 2010
frans909 said:
Yahtzee... This is the absolute best review you ever did. You are absolutely right about the whole freaking flawed game mechanics. It's a stupid egg hunt show. It's nothing more than a freaking rock paper scissors game. It's nothing more than those stupid CSI games from a few years back, except with fancy graphics, great facework, and some pointless city driving. I find the most entertaining thing about the whole freaking game to ram my car into other cars and see the damage and see the other fuck step out of the car so I might get the pleasure of running them over. It's a mediocre game. It's nothing special. Fuck LA Noire and the marketeers who should have brought it out as an expansion pack to GTA. Fuck them and their mothers. Best review you ever did. Respect.

The fucking dagger of amon ra was better than this.
I think you're missing the point. Mr Croshaw never said any of those things.