Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead 2 & New Super Mario Bros Wii

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I have lost faith in Velve at the moment, what with L4D2 and the extreme cocking up of TF2. But I'm sure Episode 3 will renew my faith in them... It had better...

Loved the bit about losing 3 friends w/ the new Mario game.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I suppose your points are well-made, Yahtzee, but it seems like you were particularly angry this episode. Maybe it has something to do with that new mic you mentioned in Extra Punctuation possibly recording at a higher volume, but why do I get the distinct feeling that you were yelling at me during these reviews?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Seemed a little mad in this review, ey? What's wrong with having the same game play (I'm aware of how idiotic that sentence sounds), people loved it in the 90's, and people seem to still want it, so why not do it to satisfy them, if only to make them realize how much they actually don't? And I thought they actually were working on Episode 3, only that they're taking their sweet time. Maybe aiming for the big shot. Heard something about Gabe Newell learning sign language.

Knifewounds

Nov 18, 2009
God you must be getting sick of the number 2 by now. I mean surly you've been saving this rant for quite a while. Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, Assassins Creed 2, and left 4 dead 2 have all basically been released on the same general time. With all of your ranting about sequels in the past it just seems to be a little weird of you to ignore the subject now especially when its at its worst.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
"Wasn't there a Half Life Episode Three you were supposed to be working on?"

YES!!! Finally someone other than me pointed that out! Why are they rushing out this game while we have been waiting for Episode Three for the past two years!?

theamazingape

Nov 18, 2009
I'm sure everybody is glad the old voice is back. Boarderlands, you need to review that. I cannot buy any game without your guiding sarcastic hand anymore.

fanrock51

Feb 27, 2008
Bowser VS Tank
I would say Bowser except by tank, Yahtzee means M1A1 Abrams tank that shoot Depleted Uranium shell.

atomicmrpelly

Apr 23, 2009
Jeesh, I can't watch the video cos there are so many people tyring that the server seems to have just given up the ghost! This guy really is popular!!!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Haha that was great, the humour value was golden due to there being two games to at once. I laughed then coughed at the l4d2;A2Z1 gag.. stupid sore throat..

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Aulwynd said:
I can't agree any more. L4D2 is just an L4D expansion, nothing more. Its just a a bunch of new maps, a few useless melee weapons and thats it. And about New Super Mario Bross Wii, well, its a ripoff from New Super Mario bross DS wich is a ripoff from Super Mario 3, so its not a big surprise that it dont have anything new(as the title says, btw)
Yes. Just more plot, new characters, new settings, new gameplay mechanics, new game modes, new weapon types, new weapons, new infected, new infected behaviour, new gore system, new uncommon infected, new weather effects, new use of variations in pathing, updated graphics, updated older game mechanics, a few different atmospheres for the various campaigns, wait... they arn't that similar after all.

Yeah, I was unimpressed with the demo, yeah I see that the CORE CORE CORE gameplay is the same. But what more do you want? Don't 99.9% of all sequals share the same gameplay mechanics?
Why not ask for Halo 2 and 3 to be an expansion to Halo 1? After all all it is is new graphics, enemies, plot, maps, weapons and characters?
Left 4 Dead 2 has so many new additions that it would not work as DLC since anyone who didn't have it would be pretty much unable to play with people who do.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Low Key said:
I like Left 4 Dead 2, although I have admittingly never played the original. Are they really that much alike?
No, Left 4 Dead 21 is massive improvement upon the first. A lot of the new content in Left 4 Dead 2 fixes the problems from the original game and the new maps are far superior to nearly all of the Left 4 Dead maps. Plus the setting inLeft 4 Dead 2 is a lot more unique and entertaining than that shown in Left 4 Dead. I guess when you get down to it it's still just coop zombie killing, but why is that a problem anyways?

But Yahtzee's opinion on Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that he reviewed Left 4 Dead2 a game that relies upon online multiplayer, yet he didn't review Modern Warfare 2's online multiplayer.

Oh yes and Yahtzee complaining about Episode 3 surprised me. Doesn't he hate it when companies just rush to get a new sequel onto the market? So shouldn't he be tolerant of the time it takes for Valve to make Episode 3?

Ellibod1

Nov 18, 2009
OK yartzee, good review but your bashing of the recent mario games is just become stupid and predictable, matter of fact when you talk about the newer mario games, I just take a nap or stop the review or try and stick a pen up my nose, but really your review of the mario games might as well be 5 second reviews

Superasil

Trapped inside a Game.
Sep 30, 2009
haha, great. and i do agree that L4D2 fealt like the exact same as L4D1, with melee weps... oh well!

now we just wait for HL2 E3... cant wait!

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Huh, Figured that there would be different stuff for the New Super Mario Bros. Wii....apparently not.

Guess I can try L4D2-etc. etc. Since I haven't really tried the first one. We'll see, though, we'll see >.>

Sep 4, 2009
Sequels aren't exciting, retro rivals aren't progress, multiplayer gaming is a crutch for subpar gameplay and slipped deadlines are a pain in the ass?

Perhaps I've been watching so long that its all becoming a little familiar, or perhaps its the industry that doesn't change and there's only so many ways to crit. Whatever it is, its all ringing a little familiar to me.

I don't blame Yahtzee mind. I mean, this was the first review of a censored game he's done (correct me if I'm wrong), so there's something new here, and he's reviewed a couple in one go (which makes the most of the review slot when only same-ol'-same-ol' games are released).