Zero Punctuation: Left 4 Dead

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Left 4 Dead

This week Zero Punctuation dines on the finest brains Valve has to offer in Left 4 Dead.

Watch Video

GeorgeMichael

May 29, 2008
lol, leap on a human character and start ripping his nipples out.

and I think deep inside we all praise the A.I. director

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I loved it how you said "retard" at the end.

But I hope that you review Prince of Persia next week. You will probably bash it and maybe you will like it.

Bart Wux

Dec 4, 2008
Oh man, you're still mad about Mirror's Edge? Poor fellow. Nice review still, but not among the best.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Good job on the ban hammer, there!

About the review: it's refreshing to see Yahtzee have some critiques for a Valve game, considering how much he loves those guys. And here I mean love in the physical sense.

Aug 26, 2008
Very funny I loved the little reee-taahrd voice at the end. Oh and the black guy office worker was my favourite character too.

"DON'T CALL ME LOIS!"

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
His voice sounded a bit weird... or was that just me. But still a good review, not as anger filled as normal though...

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
Mmm, nice.

Although seeing as I bought L4D recently, only to discover my PC can't hadle it, it's a bit of a moot point until I get a better rig.

Nonetheless, solid review, and yeah, I think cults are started that way. Well, apart from Buddhism - that was from a really long-winded game of Scrabble.

spudpuffin

Apr 27, 2008
GeorgeMichael said:
lol, leap on a human character and start ripping his nipples out.

and I think deep inside we all praise the A.I. director
yes i think this is a great part of the game and i would also like to take time to praise the part where YOU play the zombies. It brings probobly 33%(im guessing here) more playability for longer amounts of time before it gets boring

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
flaming_squirrel said:
That's some speedy banage up there.
Thank You :)

"If you don't ban 'um, they won't learn nothin'"
I always found it strange how people can apparently watch a 4 minute movie within a minute. Hmm, must be a different universe.

Also, Yahtzee seemed to have a cold this time..

Anyway, I never really got into L4D. Yes, it's a *fun* game.. but gets bland after a while. At least, I can't keep shooting the same zombies over and over and over and over with the same 3 guns over and over and over and over.

I wonder how the hell I got to level 70 when I still played WoW..

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Hehe that made me chuckle :)
Looks like Yahtzee kind of likes everything Valve comes up with, and in this case I must say it's justified. Looks like a cool game to take on at a lan-party.

Also: is there a special "Yahtzee thread banning contest" the mods engage in every wednesday or what?

Georgie2x4

Oct 1, 2008
Great video as always. The repetition of this game is great all praise to the AI Director :)

The reee-taarrrd bit at the end cracked me up :D

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
I agree so hard with that last bit about people who replace letters with numbers. Anyway, loved the review, loved the game.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Mariena said:
Spinwhiz said:
flaming_squirrel said:

I always found it strange how people can apparently watch a 4 minute movie within a minute. Hmm, must be a different universe.
It's very nice here. You got to check it out sometime.

chanceashaman

Nov 21, 2008
I guess no matter how old I get I always enjoy shooting a zombie in the head, this one I think was more of a rental. I each console generation seems to cause the games I actually buy vs those I rent to change in favor of renting.

spudpuffin

Apr 27, 2008
Surggical_Scar said:
Mmm, nice.

Although seeing as I bought L4D recently, only to discover my PC can't hadle it, it's a bit of a moot point until I get a better rig.

Nonetheless, solid review, and yeah, I think cults are started that way. Well, apart from Buddhism - that was from a really long-winded game of Scrabble.
Theres one thing i have to stress in relation to this random guys post.
The one thing that all us PC gamers (exept the rich ones) can agree on is that there should be a set comp. requirments for an amount of time so that something like crysis dosn't come along and make everyone moan in dispear as we all no a select few are going to get to enjoy it.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Is there nobody without a cold in this godforsaken world?

Loved the review, Mr Croshaw

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
This is the first time I've ever seen Yahtzee ever say ANYTHING bad about valve. Tho the bad part is actually a compliment considering how he destroys other ones. This review was a breath of fresh air in this carbon dioxide world, thank you Yahtzee.

TASagent

Sep 15, 2008
I'm pretty sure that bit about cults is actually how all religions get started... :-D

Great review, though.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Jursa said:
This is the first time I've ever seen Yahtzee ever say ANYTHING bad about valve. Tho the bad part is actually a compliment considering how he destroys other ones. This review was a breath of fresh air in this carbon dioxide world, thank you Yahtzee.
I find that strangely ironic :p

Neo Kojiro

Mar 19, 2008
This one felt a little flat, i dare say. Your/His voice seems to be in the lower tone which makes you/him sound too serious to be entertaining, and there wasn't anything that really made me laugh. Of course, this was more of an actual review than a 'this game sucks and here's why' rant, so maybe that's the reason.

DanRSL

May 14, 2008
I'd agree with one of the last typed jokes, I don't get the whole "Smoker" name either. I mean, yes, I get that they poof into clouds of smoke, but that's obviously kind of an arbitrary distinction that feels kind of tacked on.

I also wonder if I'm the only one who thinks of Waterworld every time they hear the characters yell out "SMOKER!", I half expect to see the zombies eating "Smeat", with one of them yelling "It does look like shit". Or am I the only one who remembers that much about Waterworld at all?

Nice review, good to see a good game get praise.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Sennz0r said:
Hehe that made me chuckle :)
Looks like Yahtzee kind of likes everything Valve comes up with, and in this case I must say it's justified. Looks like a cool game to take on at a lan-party.

Also: is there a special "Yahtzee thread banning contest" the mods engage in every wednesday or what?
I think it's like a surprise attack, Yahtzee informs then before he starts the thread so one or two gather in it to mow down the spam as soon as it emerges its putrid head.

Fantastic review as always Yahtzee, you seem to have far less bile right now, don't tell me you're softening up because of the Holidays? I think so.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Pretty fair review I'd say. For me, I just play the game because it's fun to run around with a group of friends and kill zombies, and I think as long as you don't expect it to be more, you'll be happy. Seems that's the jist that Yahtzee's getting at...

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
spudpuffin said:
Sgt. Dante said:
xD hot colllage chick +guy with long tounge.
isnt there a better website to make sexual enuendos on you fucktard
...Wow, Umm...Did you even watch the video? It was what Yahtzee circled and drew a line to. Don't post in response to something you have no idea he is talking about.

Anyways, great video. I especially like the part about the 4 people huddled in a basement waiting it out while the zombies are rubbing their bellies with ice cream scoopers in their hands. And then you switched it to Koalas. Great stuff. I especially liked this episode.

Mrmandude

Aug 29, 2008
I was hoping it was gonna be good cos i played demo on x-box but i'm wating 4 PS3 version to come out

Radu889

Dec 14, 2007
Soo... I am going 2 go 2 a special corner in hell 4 doing what I always do?

panagram

Oct 19, 2008
Spinwhiz said:

Wholeheartedly agree, i don't understand why these people are soo thrilled with the idea of "Guys! hey everybody look i posted first on something i know nothing about yet!!!......hey wanna watch the video now?"

On a seperate note, how does everybody think 'Prototype' looks? i'm pretty pumped it has a lot of potential i just hope the don't bomb it

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Wait a sec, did Yahtzee just shoehorn in a reference to the Re-Animator movie? He did circle "guy with long tounge" and "hot college girl", right?

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
I liked the review, but I've been wondering how much I can trust his opinion on things any more after he verbally abused the game (Mirror's Edge) that I loved.

That said, he mostly echos things I've heard from other people I know about the game, and I'm really hoping I get a copy for Christmas. See, I was dumb and threw a few hot new titles out as gift ideas, which means I can't buy anything until, at earliest, the 26'th. I'm looking forward to this game, and a Croshaw stamp of approval must mean good things.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
needausername said:
His voice sounded a bit weird... or was that just me. But still a good review, not as anger filled as normal though...
That's funny, I also noticed he sounded different, but I though he sounded angrier than usual. It's like his tone was harsher, maybe lacking the soft sarcastic tone we find comforting & instead sounding pure angry.

Still, a great video nonetheless.

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
Yeay, I like it when he reviews games he likes or atleast not hate!
And HOLY CRAP! He said something good about TF2! Huzza!

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Jamash said:
needausername said:
That's funny, I also noticed he sounded different, but I though he sounded angrier than usual. It's like his tone was harsher, maybe lacking the soft sarcastic tone we find comforting & instead sounding pure angry.

I would say his tone was harsher, but I wouldn't have said angrier.

Raxous

Dec 10, 2008
I quite liked both the review and the game itself. The co-op is really top notch in the fact that my friend and I played only the demo (which only give two chapters of the first scenario) and played for hours, exploring in campaign, dicking around with difficulty, falling in love with the red cars with alarms (should've mentioned it yahtzee). and then in online multiplayer we found out that some online suviviors we're complete dicks and proceeded to completely screw the hell out of them during a mission and still survive with only he and I left. but back to the review. yes some not-so-fun bits in the game but just not-so-fun; it's not like they were bad. overall a good game and a better review.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Can't get enough of L4D. I salute Valve for reminding me why I waste so much time playing computer games.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Very amusing as always. He really didn't have a lot of bad things to say about this one.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Great review, Yahtzee. I recently purchased this game and enjoyed it, though I can understand how the scenarios and weapon selection would get tiring quickly. Still, with the ebb and flow created by the AI director (which seemed to do it's job of keeping the pace reasonable well) and the randomness inherent in playing with other people, it keeps things different enough to be played over and over again. The actual cooperation in a co-op game was amazing.

And I too laughed out loud when you said "retard" at the end.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I'm not exactly sure how you connect zombies to nerds other than maybe in physical appearance as they've been pretty much "mainstream" for at least the last 20 years but okay...

The game is summarized pretty much in saying:
1) If you intend to play it alone Single-Player-Alike or Expect some kind of story... you won't have fun.
2) If you intend to play it with 2-3 like-minded people Online against or with some other people you will have a hell of a time :p

Oh... and that Smoker joke has been done to death already xD

DanRSL

May 14, 2008
Greyhawk said:
Wait a sec, did Yahtzee just shoehorn in a reference to the Re-Animator movie? He did circle "guy with long tounge" and "hot college girl", right?
Now that you say that, I was just thinking that maybe the squirt gun used by the imp was a reference to another fantastic game: Zombies Ate My Neighbors. A fanastic co-op (mostly) zombie based game as well.

Raxous

Dec 10, 2008
DanRSL said:
I'd agree with one of the last typed jokes, I don't get the whole "Smoker" name either. I mean, yes, I get that they poof into clouds of smoke, but that's obviously kind of an arbitrary distinction that feels kind of tacked on.

I also wonder if I'm the only one who thinks of Waterworld every time they hear the characters yell out "SMOKER!", I half expect to see the zombies eating "Smeat", with one of them yelling "It does look like shit". Or am I the only one who remembers that much about Waterworld at all?

Nice review, good to see a good game get praise.
Why in god's green and blue earth would you WANT to remember waterworld. yay for Kevin Costner though

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I thought The Escapist payed for his games to review, that's what he stated in one of the earlier videos.

Darthracoon

Aug 27, 2008
Aaah, great as always Mr. Crowshaw.

Loved the bit about the office worker being black that was awesome.

I want to get left 4 dead but none of the stores near me don't have it at all they didn't even order it!

Can't wait for the next one.

kapzer

Nov 26, 2008
Why is Yahtzee always right? Hit's the nail on the head almost every time! 'tis a good game but yeah it hasn't got ENDLESS playability. Good fun with friends though. Another great, and entertaining review. I did notice the lack of criticism for a VALVe game though ;P Then again, how many people criticise valve anyway?

ChristmasChild

Dec 4, 2008
He must be on Vicodin. He didn't rant about the game rerally shining, but he somehow didn't feel the need to spew bile all over it . . . ?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
needausername said:
Jamash said:
needausername said:

I would say his tone was harsher, but I wouldn't have said angrier.
Yeah you're probably right. I suppose for me, him opening with "...Zombies join the list of things nerds NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT!" kind of set the anger level to 11 in my mind.

But like Cheesebob said, he could just have a cold...though it is Summer in Australia...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
By Yahtzee's standards he's practically awarding this Game of the Year status. If he can't find four minutes' worth of venom that's probably a sign that he loved the game.

princeofthea

Dec 10, 2008
Mrmandude said:
I was hoping it was gonna be good cos i played demo on x-box but i'm wating 4 PS3 version to come out
Hate to break it to you, but Valve hates developing for the playstation 3. If you don't believe me play the Orange Box ps3 version.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Aaaand I'm getting that as a tattoo.

On topic, who didn't think he'd like this game? It's sweet!
I am honestly shocked, however, that he said very little in the way of negativity.

...I guess I'm just expecting him to vomit over everything in rage.
Oh well! Hooray for tearing the nipples off survivors!

ralphdeeps1108

Dec 19, 2007
Why did the image of the game always have a right hand instead of a left hand? Is this some kind of crazy Australian version?

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
One of the best episodes for a while, the punch bag bit almost had me in tears.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
I always love it when a nerd calls other people "nerds". It just..has this incredibly ironic vibe to it.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
I maintain that L4D is great fun...if your allies aren't stoic morons, using ingame chat is great fun with guys you know, but when they're acouple randomers, the fun numbers take a significiant dive.

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
Great stuff, I liked Left 4 Dead when I played the demo. Despite loads amount of zombies around you, which seemed pretty generic to me for a zombie game - well perhaps I haven't played many zombie games, the co-op element was great fun. So I guess I might as well buy get it.

Awsome review as always, Yahtzee.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Versus mode is a shit ton of fun if you're playing with friends and have gotten good, no matter what side you're on.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
The only way this review could have been better is if it was for Gears of War 2. OK, I'll shut up about Gears 2 for a minute so that I can say I didn't like the Left 4 Dead demo much and I agree that anyone who replaces the word 'for' with '4' should be shot. (Yes I know it's because it's a 4-player game but that doesn't make it clever.)

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
OH man. I was rolling laughing. Honestly, your more funny when you kinda like games. The Mirror's Edge comment had my rolling. Still trying to get around to Left4Dead. Oh yeah, that number thing, angers me to no end.

Here's to hoping you can get to Far Cry 2 sometime within the next year, eh Yahtzee?

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
A great review Yahtzee, left me wanting to play the game.

Liked the bit on the end. I guess Mirrors Edge was just that bad.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Hooray, I'm currently enthralled with Left 4 Dead, and he didn't bash it too hard :3

Ann-Marie

Oct 18, 2008
I love this game, but I see his point.

I lost interest in the campaign levels pretty quickly, but the online is hilarious. Although, its unfortunate that I can hardly play L4D because its difficult to get three buddies you actually want to play with online at once for any lengthy period of time.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Favorite part... talking about co-op and showing your teammate "schlurping" up all the ammo and health. I laughed my ass off. Good review, all around

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
That stuff about what nerds like hit a little too close to home for my liking.
I have the same complaints about Left 4 Dead and it was a huge disappointment to me, as well as the only Valve game that I don't like.
It was pretty funny as usual.

Chrisos

May 21, 2008
DrMisanthrope said:
yahtzee is a fucking retard
Hurrah for the trolls. Yawn. Learn some erudition young chap!

I loved the comment about playing as a minor zombie while you wait, with the survival expectations of a gerbil (or was it hamster) in a speed ball full of broken glass. It certainly made me giggle anyway. :)

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Fantastic Review haven't played L4D yet but i plan to regardless of this review But still Funny stuff as usual keep it up yatzee.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
^doh of course they are. On the other hand yahtzee, you forgot to mention the portal esque humor on the walls. Making fun of doctor's handwritings. Chicago ted etc =P

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I get the feeling I would feel more at home in the zombie apocalypse. You may get your face eating my ravaging monsters but hey, at least I wouldn't have to socialize with them.

Great review by the way Yahtzee. It is kind of a bummer when you review a game with very little down points. You should really give GoW2 a try.

EDIT: What the hell! I changed my avatar yesterday!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
While I found this very funny as always its left me a little urm, ill say hollow.

Did Yahtzee like left 4 dead or not?

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
it's lovely to see ZP actually (and shamelessly) enjoying something - seriously, it was like a DREAM COME TRUE to see you ripping into Mirror's Edge in the last ZP, but this week you were Left4Dead's gaming *****. And if the jaded gaming public ever tires of headshots (unlikely) there's always PS3'S downloadable FLOWER [http://mikephilbin.blogspot.com/2008/12/ps3-flower-thatgamecompany.html] to while away the drug-slowed hours.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
DanRSL said:

they hack and cough like a guy who has been smoking for 20 years, and they look emaciated like an addict. it seems obvious to me. also the cloud of smoke is obvious too. the tongue, not sure how that fits in, but everthing else is there.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Yes, Yahtzee did enjoy L4D.

And when he likes something, it means I like something.

Because we are both pessimistic bastards. Well, at least I am.

And if I like something, this means it's ZOMGWTH good. If you like* same games as I do, which means most of the FPS, MMOs (except for some korean ones), RPGs, RTS games and so on.

* Like - tolerate. Or just "not-hate".

By the way, Yahtzee, you are not the only one who pays ungodly amount of money for games. Come to Poland, I know it's at least twice as expensive here as it is in Spain :/

Angel Emfrbl

Nov 4, 2008
FarleShadow said:
I maintain that L4D is great fun...if your allies aren't stoic morons, using ingame chat is great fun with guys you know, but when they're acouple randomers, the fun numbers take a significiant dive.
My bro got on everyone's nerves who played the demo days by taking control, calling those who didn't do things correctly "morons". Yeah Gosah or whatever your calling yourself these days bro, like 3 perfect strangers are going to listen to YOU.

He never brought the full version in the end...

Guess he got fed up with that he was "Left 4 Dead" too much.

1deano1

Oct 6, 2008
loved the end "apparently i'm a retard..." made me laugh like a hyena! loved the review it was very funny as always! keep it up!

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Hooray Firefly reference!

On a more serious note (in order to avoid the Ban Hammer) having played the demo I completely agree with Yatzee on this one. The gameplay is repetitive but oddly compelling, especially when you are playing with others.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
i think for the next one he should review an srpg
namely disgaea 2
of course i'd have to point out a few things

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I look forward to the day he reviews Duke Nukem Forever, but a valve game that takes years to make is just as good!

snakeys

Aug 8, 2008
Good lord, I thought I was going to die when the black guy's head was replaced with a picture of Obama. Very funny Yahtzee.

I did not play the full game, just the demo, and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but something seems a bit off about the game to me. Part of me thinks it was almost too fast paced. It seems like there are about a million ways potentially to go and no clear direction about where you are in fact supposed to go. I actually found the aiming/shooting controls to be a bit dodgy when considered against the ridiculous speed with which the zombies come after you.

Then again, I loved HL2, which is pretty similar. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I played it longer (that sort of reminds of the ad for the pop radio station in GTAIII, "we'll pick the music you're going to like and then we'll play it until you like it").

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
I had actually almost forgotten about this game. This review was great and now I'm gonna have to rent this.

That's one thing that always got me though, Yahtzee always complains about the price of video games where he is, is there no where to rent something or does it take longer than the rental place allows anyone to have something to get enough information for a review?

I wish he'd review "Destroy All Humans: Path of the Furon", there's so much stuff that doesn't quite work right in that game.

PurpleSyrup

Dec 10, 2008
I got the biggest laugh from the Firefly and World of Warcraft references, but I'm not sure if it's in spite of or because of the fact that I'm a big fan of both.

Zekko5

Apr 30, 2008
Wow - an actual positive review?
The "retard" part made me chuckle as well.

Excellent review - I agree on all fronts! You know the game is repetitive, yet you keep coming back for more. I guess the gameplay that is there is just that awesome.

I'm sure Valve will release new content over time, though. A whole new campaign, hopefully.

All hail the AI Director!

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
Yes, it's about time nerds stop obsessively referencing talking about ninjas, pirates and zombies.

I thought the game was alright but nowhere near worth the money I payed.

Deadly_Dragon

Dec 10, 2008
Ok, first off, great review.

Secondly, can we have an LBP review? Pleeeease? I'd love to see how much you hate Sackboy.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
It was pretty obvious that he was going to like this game. It reminds me of Painkiller basically...

And I guess it's Smoker as in "it will roll you up and smoke you".

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
If we stopped talking about Ninjas, Pirates, and Zombies we would probably cease to be nerds. It is part of what makes us who we are! Besides which you might notice that in complaining about them, Yahtzee talks about them an awful lot. But then again Yahtzee never claimed to be anything but a nerd when you get down to it. :)

That said Yahtzee also seemed to like Fallout 3. I think the intro to that one was kind of saying that he couldn't think of anything really bad about it, but had to work at it.

For that matter he also seemed to like Saint's Row 2... hmmm. Perhaps the game industry is producing more things to Yahtzee's tastes.

Speaking of which I couldn't identify the games showing up in the trolly. Well except for RE 4. I just saw some typical androgynous anime guy (I think) on the middle one, and a bunch of colors on the one to the right.

Don't get me wrong, I love JRPGs and the anime art style (unlike Yahtzee) I'm just wondering what they were, and if there was some kind of joke implied there that I'm just not getting.

>>>----Therumancer--->

ZomBuster

Mar 20, 2008
I hope the change in voice pitch is not permanent, funny how the voice alone has such a big impact. Anyway great review, the chaps at Valve can again be relieved you are pleased with their game.

SAccharing10

Jul 3, 2008
I'm suprised he, or for that matter anybody else has mentioned the major problem with L4D - You're completely dependant on your team-mates, they're not just wanted; they're needed - And in a situation where you need to depend on random twats from the internet who are usually crap you could grief in a game by just not being very good.

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
Depending on each other is actually the hallmark of a good team-based game. It would be despicable for L4D to trivialize that. Unless you were dumb enough to buy it for Xbox Live!, 75% of the time your online compatriots are at least workable. Part of the fun of the game is getting a ragtag and not perfectly in sync group to work together.

L4Dead is very flat, shallow, and repetitive... however the powers of a decently done coop game easily overpower these factors. Co-op is by far the most enjoyable and least understood game mode on the planet. Just imagine if L4D was coop AND in depth, rich in story, and varied in activity.

Emiley Tomsen

Nov 13, 2008
I got Left 4 Dead as a gift from a friend, and despite not being into the whole zombie or horror genre, I truly enjoyed it. Only having 4 campaigns was little disappointing I agree, but overall I had a lot of fun with it, and still do. Something I found odd was my team-mate's AI, when I played the multi-player, and had a friend join me, the rest of the team when computer controlled seemed, smarter. When I play single player, they seemed dumb as rocks most times, getting stuck in places and so on.

I don't get to play PC games as much as I'd like to these days, but Left 4 dead, is one game I would love to see an expansion pack for, more campaigns please!

Love the game, and the review.

lemonade man

Apr 1, 2008
maybe i am the only sane one here (i never doubt it) but yatzee has just been getting progressivle worse and worse. His old reviews for MOH airborn and others are laugh out loud histerical while the review today didnt even have a giggle moment for me. He is loosing the idea of zero puncuation by adding punctuation and emotion to it...and his standards are much lower because he continually says that maybe its good for you or you would like it, but thats not the point of a review its for their opinion and theirs only! i am dissapointed

The-Big-D

Feb 4, 2008
I really enjoyed Left 4 Dead probably one of the few zombie games that creates a really good atmosphere and gameplay experiance.

The game is far to short though, 4 campaigns just didnt see enough but i could see them bringing out more campaigns as an expansion.

Also i got quite annoyed with the special zombies. Just didnt see why you couldnt get out being constricted or pinned down yourself incase you where found on your own. But i can see why they done it to make sure its more of a team experiance.

Never the less this game does have flaws but its still good nether the less.

Good Review

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Lemonade man, why is it not the point of reviewing? He says he hates it, but he also admits to not liking that genre of game or not being a die hard fan of a series. This is to imply that someone who loves the genre or is a fan would probably like it. This is a true statement. Reviews don't have to be "everyone would love it" or "everyone would hate it", because that's never true.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Baby Tea said:
Spinwhiz said:
Aaaand I'm getting that as a tattoo.

On topic, who didn't think he'd like this game? It's sweet!
I am honestly shocked, however, that he said very little in the way of negativity.

...I guess I'm just expecting him to vomit over everything in rage.
Oh well! Hooray for tearing the nipples off survivors!
*bow* :)

Triskavanski

Dec 5, 2008
I'm kinda sad.

No funny quips about the AI for your companions having a death wish and wanting you to kill them.

Ragnarok the Red

Dec 10, 2008
Yahtzee I've been reading your reviews since you started last year and usually I just read the forums but your feelings about this game made me feel the need to register and comment.

I agree with a lot of what you said: the annoying amount of friendly fire in the game because the Survivors are dressed similarly and look a lot a like the generic zombie hordes at first glance. And I'm sure it won't be long before the same 4 maps get old. And playing as a zombie sucks since you die almost instantly and can very rarely actually get ahold of one of the Survivors long enough to actually do real damage to one of them before BOOM headshot you're dead.

But while I agree the campaign's difficulties remain uniform throughout the chapters, I'm disappointed you failed to mention the end of campaign, zombie zerg-rush finales which are intense and incredibly challenging on Advanced and Expert.

Sure some are easier than others: the Farmhouse finale is a joke everyone just needs to go to the barn loft and can defend every point of entry in there easily. But other level finales, like the Boat House, are sadistically intense as you're assaulted from every direction. And while there is no Megazord boss zombie at the end of campaigns like you wanted, when the director gets sadisitc enough to throw TWO tanks at you, I think that should technically qualify as one :p

I also commend Valve for making this the first true FAST-PACED FPS game that requires and encourages good teamwork. Prior to this there really was only Counter-Strike and Battlefield, where half your team played it like a Quake or UT fragfest, or Rainbow Six, which some missions slowed down to turn-based strategy game speed. Kudos to them for finding a good middleground compromise like this that is both mindless fragfest and squad-based teamwork shooter.

I hope Valve continues to support this and offer more downloadable campaigns and new weapons and zombie types down the road. I'd hate for the game to die (lol pun) prematurely because of it's lack of variety when it's design and pacing is so excellent.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Haha, thats awesome. I loved left 4 dead. Loved the bit about grabbing a human and ripping their nipples off. Loved the end part to, "so apparently I'm a retard" haha awesome.

ramflax

Dec 10, 2008
i did not think i would like left fordead so i got it through gamefly or what ever there called great game :D and great review. and ya i also hate the 20 sec wait expesialy when ur a boomer

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
FFFF-- BA HA HA HA! So many bannings within the first two minutes of the video's release. That said, it was rock solid as always but I have a question about the Co-op mention in L4D: Is the campaign strictly multiplayer or is it possible to go commando on those undead bastards?

sequio

Dec 15, 2007
I would never have put Long Tongue Zombie + Hot College Girl because i'm not a necrophile. Thank you for opening that door.

I think the difficulty curve description was a bit off, since the easiest and the hardest difficulties are a chasm of difference.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
Now that Yahtzee had a go at this game and didn't completely trash it, I'm even more intrigued with this game. Especially since this game is somehow capable of making the average mouthbreathing Xbox 360 owners work together... Argh, should I or should I not buy an Xbox after all?! It's killing me, it is!

Thristle

Sep 12, 2008
bout the difficulty curve-
it might be a solid line throughout the game but if you play on the hardest settings that line if pretty *F*ing high

Jul 14, 2008
Very fair, very articulate, and as always nail-on-the-head accurate.

I find the closing 45 seconds of the review particularly apt as I played this with three others, side by side in the same room and discovered very quickly exactly "who among my circle of friends is most likely to spaz out under pressure."

I was hoping you'd mention the witch or the tank in relation to the way they dramatically alter the pacing, but I suppose they're not as integral to the game as the versus mode itself. Very glad you liked it.

Russian Redneck said:
I have a question about the Co-op mention in L4D: Is the campaign strictly multiplayer or is it possible to go commando on those undead bastards?
If you play through a campaign on your own, your three companions are AI controlled.

GCM

Sep 2, 2008
Same idea here; I have Left 4 Dead, but it's no match with Team Fortress 2 for me. And after 300 hours, it's still my favorite multiplayer game. Qualifier: That I own/have played. Since I still don't have a PS3.

Regardless, was it $50 for Yahtzee? How was that, through Steam? Also, does not the Escapist still pay for his reviewed games? :O

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
How exactly is it a problem that you need other people in a co-op game? (this is a reference to some poster half a dozen posts above this one or so)

nww02

May 22, 2008
Some of my colleagues and I have just got L4D. Last night one of them found a new tactic: When you're running to escape one of the missions, an airlift I believe, he turned and shot his teammate in the leg deliberately so that he'd fall under the Zombies and slow their advance. Now THAT's a game which promotes evil genius.

I'm kinda glad you seemed to like this game. I have this scary feeling that we like the same things, and I'd have been a little hurt if you hadn't liked it. Does that make me sad? yes, intensely. But I cradle my Firefly DVDs and copy of the DM's guide (AD&D version 2.0 of course), for comfort.

DuncanRR

Nov 30, 2008
I still wasn't entirely clear on Yahtzee's opinion of the game. Did he like it or not?

An amusing review nonetheless.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Left 4 Dead review was as funny as hell. He actually liked this game more or less, and im sure the fact it was made by the same people who made portal had nothing to do with it, made a good point about the AI Director being "bored" and sending the Horde after you all the time, and the fact you get to play as the zombies is a very gleeful addition indeed. Good job Yahtzee, your reviews are like the weekly shot of dope in my viens.

Feb 28, 2008
I think someone likes L4D but is afraid to admit it.. ^_^
Could have been a bit longer, because for me it's such an innovative game.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
This was a good review, I suppose, but there was something off-putting about it. I think it's because it didn't say enough to me.

0:00 - 1:00: You like zombies? You must be a nerd.
1:01 - 1:23: Okay, so here's how Valve did Zombies well
1:24 - 2:00: This is a coop game.
2:00 - 2:20: Versus mode is a bit more interesting.
2:21 - 2:30: First significant point made - why make us sit there and wait when respawning in versus mode?
2:31 - End: Here's where the meaty good points are.

So I guess what bothered me is the first 2 minutes, 20 seconds were spent saying things I already knew. So over half the review I'm like, "Heh. Yeah, I guess you're right." I mean, I enjoy 'teh funney' as much as anyone, but I found myself looking back at the end of this one and struggling to figure out why the contents of my brain had failed to shift meaningfully.

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
Yeah doling out 100 bucks on Mirror's Edge either means you've got it to burn, don't pay for the games(probably), or are retarded. Glad to see you own up.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Worm4Life said:
Yeah doling out 100 bucks on Mirror's Edge either means you've got it to burn, don't pay for the games(probably), or are retarded. Glad to see you own up.
Actually, it means he lives in Australia, where they routinely charge that much for games.

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
geldonyetich said:
Worm4Life said:
Actually, it means he lives in Australia, where they routinely charge that much for games.
So, import. Oh wait that means less content for the videos nix that idea.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Worm4Life said:
geldonyetich said:
Worm4Life said:
He probably purchased it the way the rest of us did, over Steam, where they didn't give him a whole lot of choice.

[Edit: Oh wait, we're talking about Mirror's Edge. Well, I don't know what the story is there. Maybe he just wanted to buy local for support of the local economy or because it doesn't require the difficulty of waiting for the mail to show up or somesuch.]

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
geldonyetich said:
[Edit: Oh wait, we're talking about Mirror's Edge. Well, I don't know what the story is there. Maybe he just wanted to buy local for support of the local economy or because it doesn't require the difficulty of waiting for the mail to show up or somesuch.]
In all fairness that sounds like a crock of shit.

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
I was so worried about this, until I remember that Valve can really do no wrong in Yahtzee's eyes.

Regardless, I'm not surprised he liked the game. it's a good freaking game, and the tension it has continues, even if you know what's going to happen. Sure you know how to kill a smoker or a hunter, but you never know WHEN they're going to show up.

If Valve doesn't diss the 360, it's going to be fantastic. They'll add levels, and such. To be honest, I think Valve, while trying to make it fair for "us" screwed us all over by not releasing ANYTHING for Team Fortress. If they do the same with Left 4 Dead, then I want to personally wander down to their offices and tea bag each person.

WHO IS THE GUY IN THE PICTURE. it's getting on my nerves, now. Grr.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
needausername said:
Oh thank God; your the first non-yahtzee fanboy i've seen.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
Well... to tell the truth, I think the difference between zombies and survivors is pretty good, but then again maybe I pay more attention. Never shot anyone aside from the time they jumped in front of me while I was busily shooting out the bad guys.

The Masked Donut

Aug 13, 2008
I was amazed he didn't make fun of the bit where after you get killed, you just end up locked in some random closet until your teammates rescued you. Bassically, the second before the zombies kill you, they seem to somehow carry you forward and lock you in a closet and give you a medkit.

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
Man, I love this game. Sure it does have the repetitive factor after awhile, but I can't wait for the modding community to get in more and bring Dawn of the Dead mall, Shaun of the dead town, and much more!

Great review though.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I very much agree with his initial statement about co-op being that it's one person eating up half your health/ammo/etc (it was a laugh to my friend and I since that's what he does in most games).
Left 4 Dead is probably the first game to do a lot of things differently and better, the co-op as mentioned actually has a level of depth to it where you have to rely on your allies or you're boned, and certainly Zombie survival considering the bajillion mods for games which, most are half way decent, but this has been the best I've seen.

And it's true, you do see people pray to the Omnipotent AI director for health kits, guns and of course no team destroying tanks.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I think that Gordon Freeman is a great character! More characters should be MIT educated; more good rolemodels for today's gamer youth.

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
off topic: Can any of those who got banned PM me about their incontrolable spasm of posting before you even have watched the video? Because, Im really curious to understand that very disturbing behavior of yours. Thank you in advance.

Back on topic, yeah just like everyone else I found the ''reeat-Hard'' part pretty funny AND I love L4D... BUT I believe it could be soOOoo much more than what it is at this moment. Buying this game on any other platform than the PC is really dumb IMO. Just think of what the comunity can do with this game... yummy.

PS: Sorry for my english, but it seems Im unable to formulate anything coherent today.

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
The way he said "Apparently I'm a retard" at the end reminded me of British journalist and comedian Charlie Brooker, which is not all that surprising given Yahtzee's a self-confessed fan of his. I didn't notice any other difference in his voice. Maybe this cold I've got has messed up my hearing. :\

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Great review, he has a great point about the versus mode, waiting 20 seconds sucks, and being a random thrall wouldn't unbalance the game, they're useless.

Coolspeedzero

Nov 12, 2008
Sweet review as always, I Agree that Left 4 dead is repetitive but seeing your friends screw up every time is hilarious. Some parts did feel like I was back in half life 2 with all the head crabs and zombies, but maybe that's the atmosphere valve likes.
But its a great game none the less.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Ah, back on the wagon Yahtzee.

Sounds like Yahtzee is mellowing out a bit, can't say I blame him, cash and popularity can do that, but, he's still got it and no, zombie games need no further explanation besides "there are zombies".

Gummy

Oct 24, 2007
Bwahaha Gerbil in a speedbag!! I'll be using that one more in conversation.
nice review. I reckon yahtzee's getting better again

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
wow, i looved this review.
you never actually mentioned whether it was great or not.
great review, can't wait till next weeek!!

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
I've only played this game a few times, but I agree, with the right group it is loads of fun, but I play it like I would Team Fortress 2. I pick it up when I want to blow up zombies, much like I pick up TF2 when I want to blow up/snipe/heal/backstab for a while.

For the price, I'm not sure it's worth the buy. =\

mda

Dec 10, 2008
He said "it is fun as a shared social experience" which to me translates as STONKING AWESUM... maybe just because that's what I think of the game. Played over 100 hours so far - very fun.

As to the smoker's name, I hear he was originally also able to release smoke clouds on demand but it got axed before release... so yeah, just having some smoke when he dies seems a bit piffly. I think they should put it back in. Or change his name to The Licker.

ntnimara

Oct 3, 2008
actually.. this game sounds better than I had initially thought...

to be honest.. when I heard the word zombies I didn't take a second look.. but sounds like the co-op is worth a go.. and the AI director.. well.. sounds interesting.. although I don't think it's a new idea (I mean.. I'm pretty sure in Jedi Knight you'd always get health and ammo more often when you most needed them)

and I thought Yahtzee sounded a bit different.. (a cold perhaps? but it should be sunny down under this time of year).. sounded different up until that last word :p

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
mda said:
He said "it is fun as a shared social experience" which to me translates as STONKING AWESUM... maybe just because that's what I think of the game. Played over <size=7>100 hours so far - very fun.

As to the smoker's name, I hear he was originally also able to release smoke clouds on demand but it got axed before release... so yeah, just having some smoke when he dies seems a bit piffly. I think they should put it back in. Or change his name to The Licker.
Holy crap, man. There's a whole world out there waiting for you when you're done, just remember that.

And damn it, ANOTHER game I want to get. That makes fifteen.

mda

Dec 10, 2008
TheBadass said:
There's a whole world out there waiting for you when you're done, just remember that.
Yeah I haven't had much to do with myself lately, but I haven't played L4D at all in the past 3 days so that must mean something... looking for work instead.

Did you mean a whole world, or a whole world of games? Heh.

Retrofraction

Nov 29, 2008
you are not a retard, you just live in Austraila where a lot of things are way over priced.

I agree there needs to be some sort of epic boss battle to tie up all the loose ends in this game.

It was fun, but from what I have seen from the full game there is not much differnet from the demo.

Klumaster

Dec 10, 2008
ntnimara said:
I mean.. I'm pretty sure in Jedi Knight you'd always get health and ammo more often when you most needed them
Not just Jedi Knight - Half Life 2 is littered with special pickup items that spawn the appropriate kinds of recharge/ammo based on your status as you approach them. I'm assuming that if they're making a big deal of this AI director, it would have to be doing something more. Even if it's just a more centralised entity that has scalars for how well overall the team is managing, how wildly they're shooting, how bored it's feeling, etc.

mda

Dec 10, 2008
Klumaster said:
Even if it's just a more centralised entity that has scalars for how well overall the team is managing, how wildly they're shooting, how bored it's feeling, etc.
The first video on this page has more details on all the things the AI Director does:

http://www.left4dead411.com/news/2008/09/making-of-l4d-video/

(E3 Presentation by Gabe Newell on the making of Left 4 Dead.)

It's a little more than for your average game, but I agree it's not *that* much more. Most of it could just be put down to clever game mechanics and not necessarily need to be titled "Director" and be given the kind of silly sounding status of AI entity.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Still seems a bit pointless for me with all the zombie mods and servers for different source games.

mda

Dec 10, 2008
Dommyboy said:
Still seems a bit pointless for me with all the zombie mods and servers for different source games.
IMO Source zombie mods just don't compare to L4D. I have played a few of the HL2 / Source zombie mods available and nothing has come even close to the fun, the teamwork, the atmosphere and the carnage I've experienced in playing Left 4 Dead. Probably sound like just another fanboy but it's really the funnest game I've played in years.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
The AI director does so much more than give out health and ammo, its is in control of the entire game, it places zombies, special zombies, sets up the timing ot horde attacks, coordinates combo attacks between hunters and boomers. If you've watched the commentary, the game is fully dynamic, theres no set spawn points, the AI director can spawn zombies anywhere, around a corner, inside a closet, on top of a building. It just depends on the situation.

Klumaster

Dec 10, 2008
mda said:
It's a little more than for your average game, but I agree it's not *that* much more. Most of it could just be put down to clever game mechanics and not necessarily need to be titled "Director" and be given the kind of silly sounding status of AI entity.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I had it down as doing. I'm sure it's amazingly complex under the hood, like all their AI stuff, but I'm bearing in mind how proud they were in the preview videos of the AI friendlies in HL2, and what they turned out like. "Follow Freeman" indeed.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Well he nailed this game to a T that's for sure. Its a ridiculously fun simple co-op game and nothing more really.
Honestly though I am kind of sick of zombies and shooters so I cant see myself playing left4dead for that much longer.
Luckily I bought it cheap via pre-purchase on steam. I was amazed to see it for 80 dollars in eb. O_O

SpySmasher

Feb 14, 2008
It's a shame Yahtzee didn't show any love to Left 4 Dead's developer, Turtle Rock Studios. I read his bit at the end about people that use numbers for words and laughed heartily. Good vid.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
I'm suprised he didnt say anything about the tanks. I love L4D but I really think the tank system needs to be reworked, somtimes one team will get a tank 5 seconds after the start and the other team won't get one at all.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
This was a nice review! Good job, Yahtzee!
I was really looking forwards to this one.
Hot college girl+long tongue!
On a side note, are the admins ban-happy today?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Worm4Life said:
Actually if imported it he probably would have ended up paying more money for it.

Let's go to Amazon.com [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_vg?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=mirrors+edge&x=0&y=0], one of the cheapest I could find after a brief perusal of the net, probably one of the most well known. US$56.99 for the PS3/Xbox360 version. Sounds good, right? Oh, postage and handling [http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=596190]? Well we'll go for the cheapest and wait for a month, that's only an extra US$5. So, US$61.98.

Now, we run it through an international currency converter [http://www.xe.com/ucc/] (going from USD to AUD) and today we AUD$94.16. That's excluding any customs duties that may be charged, and it's more if he didn't want to wait anywhere up to a month. It would have been worse a couple weeks ago when it was about US$0.61 to the dollar. If he'd jumped forward in time imported it from the UK today (who've cut their prices for it in half) he'd get a good deal, but at the GBP57.97 (inc. cheapest p&p) [http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mirrors+edge&x=0&y=0] it was when he would have bought it he would have been worse off. If he wanted to tought it out in German, French or Japanese, then he'd be close to over AUD$120 out of pocket.

Importing is not always the cheapest option.

runningfatman

Dec 5, 2008
man i am scared to post cause those guys were banned but what did they get banned for any way?

also this review was funny and i liked the end even though i would be the freind to spaz out under pressure i am sure lol

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
Major Tom said:
So, US$61.98.

Now, we run it through an international currency converter [http://www.xe.com/ucc/] (going from USD to AUD) and today we AUD$94.16.
Uh, no we don't run it through a converter. You've just proven he could pay as much as us GOD ORDAINED AND ANOINTED AMERICAN CITIZENS. Game over man. The problem is with the Dollarang, or whatever the fuck they call it.

This would be like if I converted my paycheck into AUD and then complained that I just paid 100 bucks for a video game. It is absolute fucking garbage and completely indefensible.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Was one of the better vids he has done as of late. Just played L4D for the first time today. Man that shit was intense.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
i find funny how he used a Obama pic smiling for Louis.

It amazes me a bit that he didnt mentioned the tank (like some sort of hulk with enanism for example)

and i think he mentiones that the AI director in fact launchs zombies to attack you.

EDIT: Did anyone noticed that in the list at 3:37 he has reloading in his list?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Worm4Life said:
Uh, no we don't run it through a converter. You've just proven he could pay as much as us GOD ORDAINED AND ANOINTED AMERICAN CITIZENS. Game over man. The problem is with the Dollarang, or whatever the fuck they call it.

This would be like if I converted my paycheck into AUD and then complained that I just paid 100 bucks for a video game. It is absolute fucking garbage and completely indefensible.
If you are being sacrcastic, my meter didn't go off.

You do realise that Yahtzee lives in Australia, right? Regardless of what it costs in US dollars, the Australian dollar is only worth US$0.65. Australians don't pay in USD, we pay in AUD and the price is converted according to what the AUD is worth in USD. If Yahtzee imported Mirrors Edge, his bank balance will show a deduction of AUD$94.16 (more than likely with an additional conversion fee the bank will charge him) to Amazon. Either way, he's out of pocket ~$100. With the current exchange rates importing or going down to the shop doesn't matter, you're paying about the same wither way.

If it had been out at the beginning of the year, when the AUD was worth something like USD$0.95 he would have gotten a sweet deal. But not now, now is a bad time to buy something that you can get for about the same price locally.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Oh, I get what Worm is saying now! Yes, in that context you are correct, he is paying USD$61.98, just like all you other Americans. But my point was for those complaining about paying AUD$100 for Mirrors Edge, importing it isn't going to help, taking into account exchange rates and such, you will still end up paying ~AUD$100 (probably more, definately if you get from anywhere outside of the US) for it.

KiraMermaid

Sep 4, 2008
He didn't seem to utter despise this game, yet wasn't exactly thrilled either. So, it might actually be worth buying.

Zombie games can't really have a story, because, let face it, all zombie plots are now overly clichéd. Either it's a government plot, aliens, nuclear waste/virus, or a government plot using nuclear waste/virus and aliens. The only thing left would be if mother Earth decided that our decaying dead bodies were a toxin, and spat out all our corpses in order to clean herself. Unfortunately, even there, the government would find a use for it, and it would loop right back to a government plot.

Simple fact is that zombie movies and games can't really have an original plot. If you're tired of the repetition, don't play it. If you're just looking for a mindless game (pun intended), then with the rest of the review, it should be worth the purchase.

Unless, you have something better to play that is.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I bought L4D from amazon.co.uk for about 24? including VAT (21 pounds or something) as they had it in Pre-Order cause they have special Pre-Order deals...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-4-Dead-PC-DVD/dp/B001GIOGDW/ It's still 26 pounds, which is still under 40 USD...

Mirror's Edge (for both XBoX360 and PS3) is available for 24.50 pounds http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Mirrors-Edge-Xbox/dp/B001GIOGDM/ , which is 55 AUD... even with shipping etc. still far less than 100 and then you really can't compare currencies like that because other products are priced differently and general salaries may be higher or lower in said countries... if he REALLY meant AUD then some people could say they spent several Million in some Eastern European or Arab/African countries with high inflation rates and that wouldn't make it any more true xD

I usually compare stuff before I buy it with Amazon.uk nowadays because the pound is getting weaker and weaker by the hour (wouldn't be surprised if the Euro overtakes it in a year or two) and they also generally seem to sell stuff a lot cheaper there than in most other European countries nowadays... From movies, software, games to books and other stuff...

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
mda said:
Dommyboy said:
IMO Source zombie mods just don't compare to L4D. I have played a few of the HL2 / Source zombie mods available and nothing has come even close to the fun, the teamwork, the atmosphere and the carnage I've experienced in playing Left 4 Dead. Probably sound like just another fanboy but it's really the funnest game I've played in years.
I totally agree.
I started off on CSS zombie mods, moved onto Zombie Panic! Source, and whilst I find them both fun, Left 4 Dead really takes the cake.
I've been trying to do the campaigns on Expert with some friends (the hardest setting), its such a thrill, you really need to work together in order to survive.

madhaha

Oct 29, 2008
I'm actually pretty scared that L4D got a good review given how easy it would be to bash it and Yahtzee's general "I don't do multiplayer" stance. I guess he's ill.

Worm4Life

May 30, 2008
Major Tom said:
Oh, I get what Worm is saying now! Yes, in that context you are correct, he is paying USD$61.98, just like all you other Americans. But my point was for those complaining about paying AUD$100 for Mirrors Edge, importing it isn't going to help, taking into account exchange rates and such, you will still end up paying ~AUD$100 (probably more, definately if you get from anywhere outside of the US) for it.
Now if you're going to tell me the various US publications that employ Yahtzee multiply his paycheck by .65, then he might have a reason to *****, but I somehow doubt that.

I didn't at first realize he meant 100 dollars in crocodile teeth, but even then he's getting the same deal we get here in America, so if 100 bucks AUD = 60 bucks USD why doesn't he just say "paid for this game"? He's either being actively disingenuous or just isn't aware his currency is in the toilet. If the AUD was up then my points about how he should be importing before bitching would be valid.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Dexter111 said:
I bought L4D from amazon.co.uk for about 24&#8364; including VAT (21 pounds or something) as they had it in Pre-Order cause they have special Pre-Order deals...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-4-Dead-PC-DVD/dp/B001GIOGDW/ It's still 26 pounds, which is still under 40 USD...

Mirror's Edge (for both XBoX360 and PS3) is available for 24.50 pounds http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Mirrors-Edge-Xbox/dp/B001GIOGDM/ , which is 55 AUD... even with shipping etc. still far less than 100 and then you really can't compare currencies like that because other products are priced differently and general salaries may be higher or lower in said countries...
The only problem with that thought is that you are looking at prices as they are now. If Yahtzee had ordered them from the UK in time for him to make the review when he did, he would have been paying 49.99 pounds for Mirrors Edge which is in raw terms (without shipping fees etc.) AUD$113. Unless they also did some preorder deal but frankly, I don't think Yahtzee is the preorder type. Though even at 26 pounds without shipping and stuff that still comes to AUD$58, which is more that what Yahtzee payed for L4D. He payed AUD$50 (I'm guessing steam, AUD$50 for a new release is almost unheard of!).

TheMerricat

Dec 11, 2008
So I've scrolled through the comments and I seem to be the only one OCD enough (or perhaps just slow enough not to get the joke) to point out that Yahtzee used the wrong cover shot for L4D.

The actual cover has a "left" hand on it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Left4Dead_Windows_cover.jpg ), Yahtzee's is the old pre-release teaser cover with the right hand ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/07/21/left-4-dead-cover-art-revealed/ ).

So is it I'm just OCD or dense? I.E. am I missing some sort of injoke here?

Either way, thank you for this review. From one of the folks who spaz out over zombies. ^_^

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Worm4Life said:
I didn't at first realize he meant 100 dollars in crocodile teeth, but even then he's getting the same deal we get here in America, so if 100 bucks AUD = 60 bucks USD why doesn't he just say "paid for this game"? He's either being actively disingenuous or just isn't aware his currency is in the toilet. If the AUD was up then my points about how he should be importing before bitching would be valid.
I suppose the general perception here in Australia is that Americans buy their games for dirt cheap, and we have to forfeit our souls or hunt crocodiles to extinction to get enough teeth to buy them. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. You'll have to start comparing cost of living and average salaries and stuff like that and this talk about exchange rates has given me a big enough headache.

It was true at the beginning of the year (and your import point perfectly vaild) when AUD$1 was sitting at almost USD$1. I'm kicking myself for not buying some stuff then.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
A special circle in hell for anyone who does 1337 speak hey!

Anyway great review again.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
About the end comment: Smoker was the chosen name back when the smoker could emit poisonous gas on will, and it stuck until, during the demo, they changed him into the worthless-in-most-scenarios long range infected with the (slight) benefit of making it impossible to see any zombies for about a half second after he dies (along with messing up voice chat, and provided the smoker was, for no apparant reason, in the middle of the survivors or pulling them towards their next objective). So... yeah.

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
Good review, although not as venomous as some have been.

I did like his point about nerds talking about zombies WAY TOO MUCH. They're like vampires (another horror theme which has been overdone the last few years) except with no intellect or personality. Maybe people just like all the gory zombie movies . .

AntiThom

Oct 26, 2008
This game is so much fun! I love mowing down the horde with the auto shottie! I hear rumors of more "movies" being released via steam or xbla sometime in the future, and I can't wait! Many, many kudos to Valve on this one :)

Oh and I liked the slick obama reference he put in there. I'll have to think twice now about helping louis when he gets incapped by the tank :p

justdan

Jan 28, 2008
Wow, I think I'll buy this one. And thanks for leaving the ads off the front this time. :)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
oh no have nerds even claimed monkeys? god damn now i am going 2 have 2 change my name.
Good review and will be an honor spending eternity in hell with u m8!

Mrmandude

Aug 29, 2008
they are making a ps3 version because i have pre ordered it valve have made one but realesed it later than pc and 360

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I can't believe that no one else mentioned the bit about "pour walnuts over your shoulders and shampoo with BARBEQUE SAUCE!" Hardest I've laughed at a ZP review for a while.

As to the substance of the review, I think he is pretty reasonable in his assessment, althought I would have thought he would've given them more praise for essentially pioneering a required co-op element. I cannot think of another non-team game where you can't either run off from your teammates or kill them, and still have a reasonable chance of solo success. It's a very subtle point, but it's there. Combine that with an element that not only does not reward but actually penalizes the slow, methodical player-- unlike almost every other FPS out there-- I felt L4D was, in fact, very refreshing and innovative. Furthermore, as Yahtzee pointed out, the ability to interact with your friends in a simulated crisis situation (just FYI: make sure you use 'open mike' and not 'push to talk' voice comm), and...

Well, there you go: in a single paragraph, three ways that Left 4 Dead is not only very well executed, but substantially refreshing. More than I can say about most games these days.

Thermal Ions

Nov 16, 2008
While I agree with Yahtzee's assessment of the game, it almost feels like a review of the demo. Doesn't really mention the versus mode in any great detail and the resulting glee that ensues from playing as the infected.

Personally I love the game, but that's probably a measured enjoyment based upon playing with friends more often than with a pug.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Therumancer said:
Speaking of which I couldn't identify the games showing up in the trolly. Well except for RE 4. I just saw some typical androgynous anime guy (I think) on the middle one, and a bunch of colors on the one to the right.

Don't get me wrong, I love JRPGs and the anime art style (unlike Yahtzee) I'm just wondering what they were, and if there was some kind of joke implied there that I'm just not getting.

>>>----Therumancer--->
The DS game is Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
The game on the right is from the SNES era: Super Ghoul 'n Ghosts

mda

Dec 10, 2008
Thermal Ions said:
While I agree with Yahtzee's assessment of the game, it almost feels like a review of the demo. Doesn't really mention the versus mode in any great detail and the resulting glee that ensues from playing as the infected.
I thought he did that pretty well with this:

"You can also opt to play as the special zombies themselves which transforms the game from tense survival horror into hilarious griefing engine. It's nice to see creative thinking rewarded when you successfuly leap on a human player and start pulling his nipples out, and it's also curiously satisfying for me in ways I should probably tell my psychiatrist about."

But yeah there are probably a few more things that could have been said about it.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hamster at Dawn said:
The only way this review could have been better is if it was for Gears of War 2. OK, I'll shut up about Gears 2 for a minute so that I can say I didn't like the Left 4 Dead demo much and I agree that anyone who replaces the word 'for' with '4' should be shot. (Yes I know it's because it's a 4-player game but that doesn't make it clever.)
You'd have a point, and i'd agree if you hadn't have mentioned Gears of Bore 2.

freebiewitz

Nov 22, 2008
Oh he had said bad things about valve before, when he reviewed the orange box he critisized the see saw puzzle thing

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
To be honest I was both hopeing for and expecting a Prince of Persia(2008) review this week but either way these reviews have always been golden so it doesn't matter what's reviewed.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
This website is tird. why so many people get banned just for posting on ZP videos, jesus. the videos here rarely work also, I have to use IE over firefox (shudder). Yahtzee should find another place or just make his own site, imo.

about the video, it was funny and I liked it (is that ok with you mr. forum mod?). why does yahtzee talk about geeks as if he isn't one, I know for a fact he writes these reviews in his pirate costume.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
"but then again i spent 100 bucks for mirrors edge so apparently im a retard."

When you said retard that voice was hilarious.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I think this was a positive review, its hard to tell with yahtzee. But I think he liked this game.

JoeNut

Aug 27, 2008
lol at the retard bit.

Sounds like a bit of a laugh that game, you didnt really explain the AI director thing enough for me to know what its all about but meh.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Banok said:
This website is tird. why so many people get banned just for posting on ZP videos, jesus. the videos here rarely work also, I have to use IE over firefox (shudder). Yahtzee should find another place or just make his own site, imo.

about the video, it was funny and I liked it (is that ok with you mr. forum mod?). why does yahtzee talk about geeks as if he isn't one, I know for a fact he writes these reviews in his pirate costume.
Sigh, I don't know what tird is. But, the reason they were banned is because they posted a reply to a topic to which there was no way they reviewed the contents of the original post, i.e., the video posted in the link. You know running forums aren't free and I don't remember paying to create this account so they are under no obligation to keep anyone who would sit around Wednesday morning constantly smash reload/refresh dragging their forum servers down just so they can be the first to post within a quarter of a second of the thread's creation.

Frankly I've seen worse treatment of such happening for paid services, for instance, if you call and harass your phone company's customer service enough they will drop your phone service almost immediately because of how much it costs just to take that phone call over and over again. They would usually follow that by blacklisting your residence for a set time period so that you cannot opt to renew service there.

Oh, and Yahtzee's review, a gem as always.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
Ah, a good review. The boy's on form.
Personal favourite line is "The four unluckiest bastards in the entire holocaust."
I think he liked this one. The stentch of Zombies is strong with this one; he reeks of
Romero.

Say you love Zombies, Yahtzee.
SAY YOU LOVE LOVE ZOMBIES!!"E£"

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
So no one ever really answered my question. I can either assume that a)no one saw it or b)it's a stupid question that everyone else knows the answer to and doesn't want to tell me. Are there places to rent video games in Australia? If so, why does Yahtzee not use them instead of paying for each game? Is the rental time not long enough to get enough information for a review? Or is there some other reason?

Edit: Thanks Nought_0.

Tenma-Kun

Dec 11, 2008
Hey Yahtzee... I have a request for ya, why don't you try it on expert and see how far you get then... You'll probably love the way the AI Director butt rapes you without lube... looking forward to that review

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
the review was great as always, but why is it that in every zombie game all I need is a shotgun or a hunting rifle?

SanJ

Dec 11, 2008
Good review but i got the feeling the reviewer had a hard time admitting he liked the game :), Personaly after Left 4 Deads Release, I feel like parting with my hard end squids in one of the "rare" LAN gaming centres in London, this game is made for a LAN fest.
This Yahtzee guy needs to calm down a bit tho, he seems to get carried away in his reviews everytime an ethnic shows up.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
ManiacRaccoon said:
So no one ever really answered my question. I can either assume that a)no one saw it or b)it's a stupid question that everyone else knows the answer to and doesn't want to tell me. Are there places to rent video games in Australia? If so, why does Yahtzee not use them instead of paying for each game? Is the rental time not long enough to get enough information for a review? Or is there some other reason?

Sir/Madam,
Though I cannot answer your question about Australian games rental opportunities, I believe that Yahtzee has stated in previous reviews that The Escapist Pays for the Titles that he reviews. If he complains about the price, maybe he's thinking of those other folk in the colonies who have to buy all their own games due to having propper jobs.

Since you appear to have an internet connection, searching for on GOOGLE or ALTAVISTA for "game rental australia" may answer your other question.

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Great episode as always. Nothing like watching Yahtzee bash a game to get me through the awful week. Also, kudos on the bans. It helps the rest of us posters (I don't know about everyone else, but I'm allergic to LOL's and excessive exlemation marks).

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I would have got and played this along time ago upon release yet current barriers have left me without access to online gaming, be it over the PC or console. So the fact it seems this game actually has nailed the co-op zombie game element I've been complaining about the lack of for God knows how long, this clearly has SOD'S LAW written all of it...

Platinum117

Aug 15, 2008
Brilliant review, you can like a game and still be funny!
I haven't played this yet, but i may get it now. =)

ThorUK

Dec 11, 2008
Glad to see that some of your review actually come accross as if you've played the game itself...

The sarcasm over with, it was a rather amusing and critical review.

Good as always.

Oct 16, 2008
Ah! Much better then some of them lately. You didn't seem like being obnoxiously nit-picky was the only thing keeping you alive, so it was just you being entertaining while reviewing a game.

Alacar Leoricar

Aug 29, 2008
Yahtzee seems to sit a little on the fence about this one. He likes the game, yes, but it's really just a souped up mod by the Valve boys.

That being said, I love the game.

griffinith

Nov 12, 2008
Yahtzee has hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. This is more or less what I thought of the game. Unfortunately I usually have to play with only 1 other human player (due to the lack of internet/alternate 360), and at times in Expert, the human AI seems hellbent on getting the rest of the party killed. They wander off at odd times, decide not to shoot at others, and generally make terrible decisions on how to stay alive (IE: Not run away from the Tank. Just stand there shooting at it... Or deciding to startle the witch)

But if you are able to play with a full team of actual people, the game is quite hilarious. The general complaint from many people I play with is the lack of a melee weapon (machete, ax, crowbar, hammer, other things mentioned in the official zombie survival guide), however, you don't really need one, especially when playing on the harder difficulties, normal zombies die in about 4 hits, and the bigger ones you don't want to get near anyways.

I do wonder how long Yahtzee played the game, as there were very little references to many things in the game I would've considered irresistible, like any mention of the witch, burning tanks, shooting the cars with alarms in them.. Or having bitter teammates you accidentally shot.. many times.. til they died.

ObamaRama7

Oct 9, 2008
hahaha nice

prince of persia blows.

anyone a fan of that show on Discovery Channel "Deadliest Catch"? http://tinyurl.com/6atr34

Adair_the_Skull

Dec 10, 2008
I am guessing that the game was played on a PC, just because of the comments about controller based FSP games feel clunky (and the animation always put Yahtzee in front of a PC and not at TV, oh ho powers of observation). I wonder if this almost enhances the experience due to the fact that there are semi intelligent people playing along side you, and not the masses of Halo addicted .... things that populate X box live.

Iskenator67

Jul 29, 2020
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
Spinwhiz said:
flaming_squirrel said:

Maybe it's just me but after reading their comments, I don't see why there were banned. There is nothing inappropriate about them. Can some one explain to me as to why they got banned for posting?

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Godofgame67 said:
Spinwhiz said:
flaming_squirrel said:

Maybe it's just me but after reading their comments, I don't see why there were banned. There is nothing inappropriate about them. Can some one explain to me as to why they got banned for posting?
Sure, they watched a 4 minute video in 1 minute. Anyone that does that will receive the same fate.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
Spinwhiz said:
flaming_squirrel said:

All those guys were banned for at least one of these reasons:

1) Posting a comment right after the video itself was posted, meaning that they couldn't have possibly watched t