Zero Punctuation: Lego City Undercover

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Since Yahtzee is so big on story and narrative, I'm surprised that he got through the entire review and didn't once mention or describe the plot.

Actually, on second thought, I'm not surprised.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
The Last Melon said:
Defeated Detective said:
The Last Melon said:
Well, he's a much bigger fan of Bioshock Infinite in this one than he was in his video review...
He came in defense of Bioshock Infinite's ending, a much more in-depth answer is found in his column.
I still haven't played Infinite, so I didn't read the column for fear of spoilers...
He knows better, it's spoiler-free.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
"What was it called? The piss-shit?"

Chocolate cake. Chocolate cake and milk everywhere. Thank you, Yahtzee. I dunno, maybe because I haven't heard him mention the Wii U a lot, that was somehow unexpected.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Haaaa, seriously, the time after bioshock is quite depressing... weirdly enough, it seems like the 3DS of all things is the thing that'll keep me gaming the next few months...

well, that and steam obviously.

Also, luigi's Masion would've made for a better review

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
How Yahtzee reviews a game on a Nintendo console:
1/3 of the episode is wasted on bashing Nintendo as a company
1/3 on bashing the Nintendo console
Maybe he will stop bashing Nintendo and their consoles when they both go back to not sucking.
1/6 on bashing Nintendo fans
Only when they stop getting amusingly mad.

1/6 of proving that he didn't play the game for longer than 20 minutes
Except for the part where he mentions being at the very end of the game and having to stop because the stupid pad has the lifespan of a mayfly.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Enlong said:
I see no reason whatsoever why the Wii U would be difficult to develop for, when compared to the Wii.

The Wii's controller thing influenced the whole system. Even if one didn't use motion controls, the relative lack of buttons meant that a game would have to be simplified or reworked entirely if it was a port.

But the Wii U's controller has all the standard buttons. Four or so face buttons, two control sticks, two sets of shoulder buttons, and press-in buttons on the control sticks.

If a developer doesn't want to use the screen gimmick, then they can just... not use it. Save it for that off-TV play thing that people are so worked up over. It's not like the Wii, where the Classic Controller was an optional add-on that not everyone had. The button scheme on the screen controller is the same as the "pro controllers".
As a programmer who's worked on development of software for consoles before, I can answer this question for you. It has nothing to do with the controller. Ok, it has a little to do with the controller, but that's just the obvious part. The less obvious - but much more important - part of developing for a console is the architecture of the console. Nintendo uses it's own internally developed architecture. Think of it as the operating system. As you probably know, porting a game, for example, made on Windows to... say... a mac would be difficult. They both have keyboards, memory, hard drive space and processors that are pretty much the same, but the software governing them is very different. Similarly, consoles (until recently) have differed greatly from each other. For an example of how this affects developers, take a look at Skyrim. Since Xbox is owned by Microsoft, a company largely concerned with PC's, the infrastructure the console is build on is much more similar to a standard PC than a PS3. As such, and as most know, many more problems cropped up for PS3 users as a direct result of the difficulties the developers had porting a game created on a computer (and yes, almost all games are developed on computers, but for cross platform titles, it's a complicated process). The PS4 seems to have learned from this and is standardizing it's underlying software to be a lot more similar to the Xbox and Windows computers. The Wii U... did not. This creates problems for developers. Did that answer your question?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
The Comfy Chair said:
Warachia said:
BiH-Kira said:
How Yahtzee reviews a game on a Nintendo console:
1/3 of the episode is wasted on bashing Nintendo as a company
1/3 on bashing the Nintendo console
1/6 on bashing Nintendo fans
1/6 of proving that he didn't play the game for longer than 20 minutes
Every fucking time.
And how exactly do you know he didn't get to the end? I can think of several videos off the top of my head in the last few weeks where he brings up the ending/final boss for a specific reason.

I wish Lego would branch out and do more things that work with their lego characters, for example, imagine NeverDead with lego characters, casually popping your arms on and off, throwing your head down narrow passages so you can collect things, and it would be an E rated game.
Because people who are Nintendo fans need to tell themselves Yahtzee has a massive bias. Something he himself has brought up many a time.

The problem is, Nintendo fans, is that Nintendo's consoles have done very little for core gaming in many years. That's why he, and most 'core' gamers, don't give much of a rats ass about Nintendo consoles. Handheld? sure, the DS is definitely best overall handheld (woo, now i'm going to be attacked by Sony fanboys too!). Consoles? lol, nope.
His retort to that was "B... but I liked Paper Mario!". Liking one game from a franchise doesn't mean you don't have a bias over a whole company. LCU wasn't even developed by Nintendo, yet he feels like it's perfectly fine to spend a lot of time in his video bashing Nintendo and Nintendo fans. How would you like it if for every PC exclusive he reviewed he spent two minutes talking about how he thinks all PC owners are neckbeard losers? This whole site has an anti-Nintendo bias, for example just today the news of a brand new Zelda game wasn't posted even though it was pretty big news, when the news of an internet retailer supposedly leaking GT6 gets posted. You wouldn't see other Lego games Yahtzee has reviewed called "last resorts" and much worse because they're not on Nintendo consoles.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
major_chaos said:
Maybe he will stop bashing Nintendo and their consoles when they both go back to not sucking.
Still, what has this got to do with the fucking game except it being an exclusive? It's like a review of Gears of War starting off with "HAHA RED RING OF DEATH! SO MANY ADS MICROSOFT U SUCK LOL!!!!"

Only when they stop getting amusingly mad.
Meanwhile legions of Xbox and PS3 gamers call death on Platinum games when Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2. Am I allowed to call them fat neckbeard losers now? "But they mad bro!" is not a good argument.

Except for the part where he mentions being at the very end of the game and having to stop because the stupid pad has the lifespan of a mayfly.
I'll give you that.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
... Yeah, I don't even care anymore. Yahtzee played Javert to the Wii for five years and I doubt Wii U will change his mind. I could do without him being even more mean-spirited than his usual self whenever Nintendo systems come up, but hey: they're not his thing. He doesn't like "gimmicks," he doesn't like kiddy stuff, and if he had his way he'd even forgo his controller for a good neural input device. Whatever, different strains. And I don't feel like having all the little Yahtzites swarm and flame me whenever I disagree with his tastes anymore (though at least the Luigi's Mansion reference in this review means he possibly couldn't find enough to complain about for a full review of its own, so that's nice.)

Just one thing, Croshaw, since you brought it up: video games are toys. Wii U is a toy, 360's a toy, PS3's a toy. PS4 is an upcoming toy. Wii was a toy. 3DS and Vita are toys. People spend hundreds on gaming PCs so the PCs can run the digital toys they download onto them through the toy-delivery service Steam. The sooner you finally accept that this is an industry of toys, the better off you'll be. The next great medium? Yes. But it's for your own benefit that you realize where underneath the artistry and emotion you champion, you're ultimately still playing with toys. And there's nothing wrong with playing with toys, so stop trying to fight it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
LEGO City is probably the most pure fun I've had playing a game since Saints Row 2. At least the story anyway, I've stopped at 59% or so of overall competition because roaming the city now that I have all the suits has gotten a bit tedious. Plus I have other games I want to play too.

Maybe LEGO City isn't what the Wii U needs right now (it needs Nintendo to release some of its own games a bit sooner than this fall), but it's still very worth picking up if you already have a Wii U. No need to go buy a Wii U just to play it though, just buy it when/if you eventually get one for other games.

Also nice joke about the character customization options during the credits. Does suck that you can't have hair and a hat, but that's LEGO for you.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
So it's a GTA Lego game on the WiiU, yeah, no.

We all have post Bioshock Infinite melancholy Yahtzee, don't you worry. :p

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Ah, so Yahtzee was the one person on the entire planet who bought a Wii U. I was wondering who made that sale.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I don't get the hate for Nintendo making toys. They were originally a toy company prior to making video games, if they want to go back to their roots, I'm all for it. Besides, the 3DS seems to be doing the brunt of their gaming duties anyhow. Do I wish it was less gimmicky? Yes, but there are still plenty of great games on it, even if it not being 3d would have cut the price and increased the battery life *grumble grumble*. Still waiting on one with the extra joystick built in and not an add on device. (Although I believe the device also functions as a battery pack...)

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
ccggenius12 said:
Although I believe the device also functions as a battery pack...
Unfortunately, it doesn't. There were plans by Nyko to make a combination battery pack and Circle Pad Pro, but they cancelled it.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
"Nintendo is determined to only sell toys"

So, videogames aren't toys because....?

Trivial Punk

Jan 30, 2013
One of my absolute favourite things about your series is that I'm occasionally completely surprised by what games you're going to review next. That and the autonoetic awareness Yahtzee, as a character, possesses gives your reviews some real texture. Now that I've finished worshipping you uncomfortably, I'm a bit tired of people assuming that humour will go over children's heads. They're quite intelligent; they just lack a myelinated frontal cortex and life experience. Clever jokes wrapped up in packages that don't require constant pop-culture references will really get to kids. So, I'm not sure exactly who this game is for, but I think it talks down a little too much for its content. I honestly don't understand how people who develop kids' games can have such an etch-a-sketch understanding of the little flailing meat-bags

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Awesome episode. Stuff about Bioshock at the start was precisely what I've been thinking about the 2013 releases too =D