Zero Punctuation: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Oh if only I had an underpants modelling company.

Bah, I actually have a sneaking suspicion that this was only up for review because you wouldn't play it much. If what you say it true the plot's handling previous characters like Dead Rising 3 does. Previous characters get upgraded to almost sinister status, being terrifically noble or beaten into near obscurity and references.

Good review, and I assume the clop clop clop has haunted you from all those three and a bit years ago.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
As PRGs go, I'd still love you to play and review Xenoblade for the Wii. Sure you'd still probably hate on it because that's what you do, but at least you'd have other things to ***** about than with most other PRGs

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
This game represents everything that is currently wrong with Square Enix.

Also Yahtzee got it a bit wrong. God didn't take away Lightning's emotions - she never had any to start with. Or a character.

Big_Isaac said:
As PRGs go, I'd still love you to play and review Xenoblade for the Wii. Sure you'd still probably hate on it because that's what you do, but at least you'd have other things to ***** about than with most other PRGs
Yahztee had stated multiple times he doesn't usually get a lot of time to play each game he reviews. Xenoblade is a 100+ hour game. He'd have no chance.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Surprised he came within ten meters of this game. Also surprised he didn't mention the no exp for battles gimmick. Unsurprised he didn't like it. It just doesn't seem any good.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Now I'm going to think about how awesome soft-serve ice-cream dispensing breasts would be for the rest of the day. (Its 9 AM over here)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
My favorite "Because Square Enix said so" plot element in Lightning Returns is the "Missing Time," Where the world of FFXIII used to have 26 hours in a day, it now has 24.

And it just sounds like SE forgot about the 26 hours, created a 24 hour clock, and then remembered the 26 hour thing and added a bit of dialog so they wouldn't have to rearrange everything else.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Poor Yahtzee, why does he do this to himself? I mean, I realize it is his job to play games, but honestly, he can take things easy on himself once in awhile and not go out of his way to find bad games to review. . . Though if reviews for Thief are any indication, this trend may continue for some time to come.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Hixy said:
Why did 13 get two sequels?? I just do not understand. Literally every title in the series was more worthy than that pile of crap.
Its as Yahtzee said...

"Square Enix acts in mysterios ways"

But yeah im just as baffled as you about all this... after the disaster that was 13 i thought this one was dead in the water.

But hey... 10 got a sequel too...

Makes Square look like a Mommy that thinks her kid is a genius while said kid is busy eating sand on the playground

lassiie

May 26, 2013
What kills me with the FFXIII series is that I can't bring myself to play it anymore. I forced myself to play FFXIII all the way through, and yes, it is one of my favorite combat systems in any RPG to this day, even though it took me about 25 hours to actually enjoy the combat system. By the end it is super fast paced, constantly switching between 1 of the 6 paradigms, and always wishing you had just set up one different one that you currently don't have available.

I got bored with XIII-2 in 5 hours or so, and Lightning Returns in about 4. I want so badly to like these games, but I just can't. Now to slowly await Dark Souls 2 and cry myself to sleep every other night in the meantime.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
AndrewC said:
"The enemies were too hard so I gave up."

Good review.
Something more akin to this: The difficulty in the monster fights are asininely game breaking, since the explicitly stated game mechanics of "You have X hours to beat the game/save the world" makes grinding for levels something you cannot do.

On the side of Lightning characterization? The guy who made the games/Lightning character said that she's really popular in Japan. I want to know if that's even true. Is a character that has no character really that popular? Heck, those idiot main characters in harem mangas seem to have more character than Lightning.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Karadalis said:
Hixy said:
Why did 13 get two sequels?? I just do not understand. Literally every title in the series was more worthy than that pile of crap.
Its as Yahtzee said...

"Square Enix acts in mysterios ways"

But yeah im just as baffled as you about all this... after the disaster that was 13 i thought this one was dead in the water.

But hey... 10 got a sequel too...

Makes Square look like a Mommy that thinks her kid is a genious while its shoveling sand into its face.
Yeah but 10 was a great game, and when 10-2 sucked they stepped back and said "We better not do anything else."

No one at Square said that after FF13 sucked. And they wonder why their company is a mess.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
AndrewC said:
"The enemies were too hard so I gave up."

Good review.
Well, had they been hard but with proper context and a feeling of accomplishment to them, he likely would not have given up that easily, now would he?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I couldn't stand Lightning Returns because of the dull fetch quests required to level up, encouraging the player to explore, but restricting them with a time limit and time window for finding required quest items or people, along forcing them to return to a base every few hours. It makes the game feel like it has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.