Zero Punctuation: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
LordOfInsanity said:
AndrewC said:
"The enemies were too hard so I gave up."

Good review.
Something more akin to this: The difficulty in the monster fights are asininely game breaking, since the explicitly stated game mechanics of "You have X hours to beat the game/save the world" makes grinding for levels something you cannot do.

On the side of Lightning characterization? The guy who made the games/Lightning character said that she's really popular in Japan. I want to know if that's even true. Is a character that has no character really that popular? Heck, those idiot main characters in harem mangas seem to have more character than Lightning.
I beat the game perfectly fine playing through it and Lightning receives stat boosts by doing major or minor quests, the timer is nowhere near as demanding as made out to be. Sure you might miss a minor quest whilst you're off doing one of the story areas but it's not game crushing.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
I actually kinda like XIII-3. After the first being a massive disappointment and the second, while better, feeling completely unnecessary and forgettable, Lightning Returns is surprisingly good.

Sure, the writing is godawful and Lightning is about as interesting as an empty refrigerator, but the battle mechanics are really fun, the world is interesting and big enough so I want to explore it and the the time mechanic gives it some novelty. Overall it is just much more interesting than I expected a second sequel to FFXIII to be.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
LordOfInsanity said:
On the side of Lightning characterization? The guy who made the games/Lightning character said that she's really popular in Japan. I want to know if that's even true. Is a character that has no character really that popular? Heck, those idiot main characters in harem mangas seem to have more character than Lightning.
You've seen anime, right?

Ever notice how the broody mc brooderson main character broodmaster of his brooding broodlings must brood his way through a broody setting seems to be all the rage?

What is popular in Japan is mysterious and strange. Characters are frequently 2 dimensional hypocrites.

Good review, or at least cemented my opinions of the Final Fantasy series (nothing good since 9).

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Didn't Thief come out this week? So why aren't you reviewing that? I mean, I already knew Lightning Returns was going to be utter shit because of the title - or I at least knew that was going to be Yahtzee's opinion, which, frankly, as a reformed FF Fan I can't help but agree with at this point - so why bother reviewing it?

Edit: Yes, thank you, I am now aware that "this week" is actually "just yesterday" and he would not have time to review it yet. You can all stop telling me this now. Yeesh. Gotta be careful to think things through before you post a stupid question.

TheomanZero

Jan 12, 2011
The official explanation is that "final" can also mean "definitive".
FFIV and FFX were actually good games, so it made sense for them to get sequels. Why'd FFXIII get two?

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Just discovered 'The Wire' have we Yahtzee? Well better late than never. Just curious as to when they will finall stop making Final Fantasy. Probably when people will stop buying them. Oh dear.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Abomination said:
LordOfInsanity said:
You've seen anime, right?

Ever notice how the broody mc brooderson main character broodmaster of his brooding broodlings must brood his way through a broody setting seems to be all the rage?

What is popular in Japan is mysterious and strange. Characters are frequently 2 dimensional hypocrites.

Good review, or at least cemented my opinions of the Final Fantasy series (nothing good since 9).
Speaking of hypocrites, have you noticed all the brooding, gritty reboots in America lately?
Just pointing out this isn't really a Japan thing. All media across the world is composed of 80% mediocrity, 15% utter shit and 5% actual high quality stuff.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Hixy said:
Why did 13 get two sequels?? I just do not understand. Literally every title in the series was more worthy than that pile of crap.
Because Lightning is Motomu Toriama's waifu. Shmuck even wanted his gf to dress as this ice queen during sexy time. This mother humper!

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
AndrewC said:

Good review.
And weird after Dark Souls last week.
"Damage sponges" is more accurate than hard. Too much health and the ATB gauge runs out very fast in the early game before you upgrade Lightning a bit. Makes combat tedious. On the other hand, there's no point in engaging in battles unless it's a quest related fight, as completing those are the only way to level up. Sadly, the majority of quests are mundane activities like finding a doll for some kid or looking for someone's dog.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I find it odd that final fantasy 13 got two spinoffs because the general opinion seems to be that it was shit, I know it has its fans but I didn?t know it had enough to support 2 more games.

I?m guessing that it was a lot more popular in japan, and that it did sell well enough in the west to justify a translation.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
So it seems the Lightning Defense Force is already here. I swear it has to be guys from SE, no one can like this character (if you can even call her that anymore and not just "set piece"). Unsurprisingly, this game was horrible but it did make for one of the better ZP reviews in awhile. Can we please put Lightning and the rest of her broody band out to pasture now...and shoot them? Please?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I understand completely about the angsty teenage problems all of them seem to have. Its like their clothing has to try and overcompensate for the bland 2 dimensional characters in case you start thinking too much, that actually, 2 dimensional is being quite generous...as i know many charming 2D characters that dont make me hit the bottle and the painkillers from helpless frustration.
And why are they always so fcking young?? Cant we have a final fantasy: seniors revenge? That may be less annoying. Is the development team just a large group of manga obsessed, overly enthused 14 year old girls?
That is the impression i got with the first...er FF13. Which, on the basis of a certain person's once respected opinion, i took their recommendation to play it. It is pretty i guess. But painfully shallow.
Finally, is lightning sposed to be the most popular character only because square enix said so? I dont know enough FF fans to understand otherwise.

Ah well sir BeYahtzee, it seems, as is the case with the COD BLOPS GHOST mound of festering cash and fans, they do not care for your opinion. Maybe because its just onion with PI inbetween

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dead Century said:
"Damage sponges" is more accurate than hard. Too much health and the ATB gauge runs out very fast in the early game before you upgrade Lightning a bit. Makes combat tedious. On the other hand, there's no point in engaging in battles unless it's a quest related fight, as completing those are the only way to level up. Sadly, the majority of quests are mundane activities like finding a doll for some kid or looking for someone's dog.
This sounds like it's a parallel to the usual justifications for why Yahtzee isn't playing the game right.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I'm actually pretty surprised at how Yahtzee managed to find some new criticisms for a FF game, especially a spinoff sequel. I was fully expecting this to be a review where he'd have to say something like "Oh God, stop making me play this horrible game, Escapist!!" While an anthropomorphized Escapist logo stands off to the side pointing a shot gun at him.

As to the game, I haven't played a FF game in a long time, but from what I've seen of the gameplay footage, plot, dialogue and characters in reviews, I'm not enticed to pick it back up again.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Didn't Thief come out this week? So why aren't you reviewing that? I mean, I already knew Lightning Returns was going to be utter shit because of the title - or I at least knew that was going to be Yahtzee's opinion, which, frankly, as a reformed FF Fan I can't help but agree with at this point - so why bother reviewing it?
Perhaps it's /because/ Thief came out this week? Actually i just checked wikipedia and it's not even coming out in Australia until tomorrow so i wouldn't hold out for a review of that for next week either.

OT: The opinions i've been hearing on this game have been pretty much all over the place. Some say it's the biggest piece of shit ever to carry the Final Fantasy name and some say it's probably one of their favourite jRPG's of all time. However since i've been unable to find any actual reason why people like it, but plenty why people don't i'm probably gonna give it a miss.

Especially since Yahtzee actually held out longer than me with 13-1. I only managed 3 hours on that one.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Chocorodeo said:
shadowmagus said:
So it seems the Lightning Defense Force is already here. I swear it has to be guys from SE, no one can like this character (if you can even call her that anymore and not just "set piece"). Unsurprisingly, this game was horrible but it did make for one of the better ZP reviews in awhile. Can we please put Lightning and the rest of her broody band out to pasture now...and shoot them? Please?
Can we please shove a shotgun up this cocksucker's asshole and blow his brains all over the ceiling? Please?

Holy fucking shit, all of you fucking retards deserve to die.
Why? The XIII series is like the Final Fantasy equivalent of the Resident Evil live action movies. Then again I totally expect the response I'm going to get from you given your social interaction meter is somewhere in the pits of hades.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Thanatos2k said:
Yeah but 10 was a great game, and when 10-2 sucked they stepped back and said "We better not do anything else."
But they have stated they would be willing to make a X-3, if there's enough interest in the series. No idea how fans would be showing that, beyond buying the updated rerelease double set... oh...
I actually kind of enjoyed X-2. The plot's horrible, I give it that, but it's charmingly inane in a turn your brain off way... until Rikku hits on Yuna, and then it gets creepy...
Why have I had captchas on every single post since three days ago?

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
AndrewC said:

Good review.
I thought it sounded more like, "The grind was tedious and the game lacked sufficient entertaining qualities to hold my attention and balance that out in addition to having a story as nonsensical as hiring a serial killer to be your new babysitter," but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.