Zero Punctuation: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I think this video basically shows that Yahtzee doesn't understand why people play JRPGs. It doesn't matter if the plot is non-nonsensical or totally contrary to science or reality or sense. The entire thing happens in an alternate dimension where magic and monsters and other stupid things exist. You have to constantly learn now things apparently work in this huge fictional world and as long as it's consistent it's not going to bother JRPG players.

Hope being the age he was in Final Fantasy XIII instead of XIII-2 can be explained by the fact that the entire game of XIII-2 happens in a time loop and resolving it wipes it from the timeline. If you'd beaten it, you would know that.

The whole jRPG thing seems to have become about writing the most ridiculous story and executing it in the most elaborate way possible. I'm not 100% sure why I enjoyed playing Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 but I imagine I'm going to enjoy this too. Maybe I'm just broken inside, but there are a lot of other broken people too.

P.S. I like Lightning too, probably because she's basically just an avatar for the player and not a real character. Hope is very annoying and I wish they'd picked someone else for the sidekick in this, Sazh would have been great.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Thanatos2k said:
Crazie_Guy said:
Okay people, time to stop calling Fire Emblem a JRPG. That game is what we call a T(actical)RPG that happens to have a japanese flavored story.
Fire Emblem is both a SRPG and a JRPG. I fail to see the problem.
The problem would be that genre is meant to demark gameplay and inform expectations, and while it has magic swords and some character leveling, the fundamental gameplay is that of a turn based tactics game, making it much closer to something like Advanced Wars than it is to a game like Golden Sun. It might be passable for more similar games but the functional differences between a real JRPG and a tactics game is like night and day.

And did I see someone up there list Monster Hunter? I don't even have enough face for all of this palm!

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
TheomanZero said:
The official explanation is that "final" can also mean "definitive".
FFIV and FFX were actually good games, so it made sense for them to get sequels. Why'd FFXIII get two?
That seems a bit ridiculous. The real reason behind the name was that Square was spiraling towards bankruptcy HARD, and decided to make one more game as a swan song, naming it "Final Fantasy."

It proceeded to become immensely popular and dropkicked Square back into the black, and they decided to make a sequel. Then another. Then another. Then another. Etc.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Ugh what is everyone's brutal vicious attacks on a series that has only gotten better with time as sequels should. Is it just because it carries the Final Fantasy name that people are so quick to crush into dust. Cause you will do that to the next one, and the next one, and the next one, and the next one. You will do it to every single Final Fantasy game that is not pre-Final Fantasy VIII and you know it. Rose colored glasses my friends. Rose colored glasses. That's all I'm saying. Seriously you want to go back to turn based combat cause let's be honest. That system has not aged well. Like at all. Pokemon is one of the few games I see actually get away with it still.

hoobajoob

Feb 25, 2011
LordOfInsanity said:
On the side of Lightning characterization? The guy who made the games/Lightning character said that she's really popular in Japan. I want to know if that's even true. Is a character that has no character really that popular? Heck, those idiot main characters in harem mangas seem to have more character than Lightning.
I can't speak for this particular character but fetishizing a young girl with no emotions is definitely a thing [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmotionlessGirl], especially in Japan.

I also thought of the MLP fandom while watching this video. *sigh*

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
GamerMage said:
What can you tell me about Radiant Historia or Dragon's Dogma? Dust: An Elysian Tail is pretty dang good. I liked the character designs, and the fluid combat.
Radiant Historia is one of the most beautiful, well-crafted, and satisfying JRPGs I've played in a LONG time. I easily give it a recommendation. It's frequently one of the "top 4" JRPGs of the last console generation I thoroughly enjoyed (along with Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Persona 4).

KazeAizen said:
Ugh what is everyone's brutal vicious attacks on a series that has only gotten better with time as sequels should. Is it just because it carries the Final Fantasy name that people are so quick to crush into dust. Cause you will do that to the next one, and the next one, and the next one, and the next one. You will do it to every single Final Fantasy game that is not pre-Final Fantasy VIII and you know it. Rose colored glasses my friends. Rose colored glasses. That's all I'm saying. Seriously you want to go back to turn based combat cause let's be honest. That system has not aged well. Like at all. Pokemon is one of the few games I see actually get away with it still.
Final Fantasy XIII
Metacritic: 82
Launch sales: 1,500,000

Final Fantasy XIII-2
Metacritic: 79
Launch sales: 500,000

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Metacritic: 66
Launch sales: 250,000

That doesn't look like a series that has "only gotten better with time as sequels should". That looks like a series that actually got progressively worse and sold considerably worse as time went on.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
SE is running the FF series to the ground. No one wants this game, they should've spent the resources finishing up FFXV.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Trishbot said:
Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII-2

That doesn't look like a series that has "only gotten better with time as sequels should". That looks like a series that actually got progressively worse and sold considerably worse as time went on.
How does Metacritic even work and why is that the go to site? The sales I see as fan backlash. The scores who knows. Do you yourself have any better reasons? Logical, unaggressive reasons for why this game is supposedly terrible? Honestly shoving numbers down one's throat, especially sales numbers, does nothing but irritate me and doesn't show me anything. Just because a movie tanks at the box office doesn't mean its a bad movie. I'd be remiss though to not say that a bad movie doesn't make money at the box office. XIII-2 may have sold less than the original but I've actually played through it and it improved on pretty much every level over its original. The lack of sales is coming off as backlash from peeved fans who lost faith after the first game. Which judging by a majority of these comments I'm pretty sure I'm right about that part.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
KazeAizen said:
People attack it because it has consistently dropped in both aggregate reviews and sales since FF XIII first launched. So much so, that Lightning Returns is one of the worst rated Final Fantasy games in the last decade and a half. The scores are rivaled only really by Dirge of Cerberus and FF XIV, the former that featured broken action combat starring a character many FF players never even bothered getting on their parties, especially younger players, who I remember some not even knowing who Vincent was (this was in the age before Youtube and the internet made getting secret characters stupidly easy). In the latter game's case, the game was so broken that the company issued a formal apology before revamping the whole thing in ARR.

Lightning Returns first week sales were beaten out by a re-release of FF X and X-2 near the same time, a game that's a decade old at this point. The FF XIII trilogy hasn't exactly tanked, but its sales have been largely below Square-Enix's hopes as far as FF games go, not enough to be considered disastrous (for XIII and XIII-2 anyway, if Lightning Returns sales don't pick up, then it will be a pretty big failure).

Does the game get more hate than it maybe deserves? I can agree with that, long running franchises tend to have very divisive fan bases, each person tends to have a specific view of what made a property great, and as more editions come out and everything inevitably changes, many fans are going to find what they liked about the series falling by the wayside. It's not just rose colored glasses though, the XIII series has been suffering from disappointing sales, and failing to meet expectations past the first one for years now, especially outside of Japan, where the reception to the XIII trilogy has been lukewarm at best.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
KazeAizen said:
How does Metacritic even work and why is that the go to site? The sales I see as fan backlash. The scores who knows. Do you yourself have any better reasons? Logical, unaggressive reasons for why this game is supposedly terrible? Honestly shoving numbers down one's throat, especially sales numbers, does nothing but irritate me and doesn't show me anything. Just because a movie tanks at the box office doesn't mean its a bad movie. I'd be remiss though to not say that a bad movie doesn't make money at the box office. XIII-2 may have sold less than the original but I've actually played through it and it improved on pretty much every level over its original. The lack of sales is coming off as backlash from peeved fans who lost faith after the first game. Which judging by a majority of these comments I'm pretty sure I'm right about that part.
Those scores are the average reviewer score (not user), the user ones are even lower.

You are correct in saying that people can enjoy a movie that is panned by a lot of people and its fine to enjoy it. The problem is that a lot of people are giving this game either a mediocre or negative review from their experience, but there going people are going to like it. I think the Final Fantasy XIII series has been very polarized with it either being loved or hated by most people with not a lot of people in between.

The thing about box office numbers is that they are used to drive sequels (among other factors) and at the very least I would have hoped Square Enix would have decided to make changes based on what happened with Final Fantasy XIII-2 and it doesn't seem that way to me. Making this into fan service to the guy that makes the game and not trying to appeal to the people they alienated already.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
KazeAizen said:
Trishbot said:
Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Metacritic works by taking the overall scores dished out by professional review sites, it has a separate section for user reviews too, but those usually get bombed by people voting either perfect scores or 0's in order to manipulate the system. As for your movie comparison, yes, a movie can still fail financially while being considered underrated by critics, or garnering a cult fanbase, but the FF XIII trilogy has fallen in both reviews and sales numbers, so the movie comparison doesn't work.

See, the thing here is that all you've got is personal opinion, and hey, that's fine, like the games all you want. Plenty of reviewers have already torn apart the sequels, and even the original XIII, too many for it to just be rose colored glasses. There are plenty of reviewers and players out there that started out with FF X or even XIII itself, that have found the series to be thoroughly enjoyable, except for the XIII sequels, or XIII itself, the more acerbic critiques may come from the older fans, but my two old roommates who started with XIII as their first FF couldn't even make it through XIII-2 because, and I'm paraphrasing from memory years ago, "the story is fucking stupid, the combat feels like goddamn work by half-way through the game, and Serah is an even more boring character than Lightning, which I thought was physically impossible, fuck this shit I'm going back to the Tales games".

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Is there something wrong with me? When he said "Watching the wire means you have less time till the world ends" the only response that came to mind was that if the last thing that I did before the world ends is watch the box set of The Wire, I would end my life feeling it ended well.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Crazie_Guy said:
Thanatos2k said:
Crazie_Guy said:
Okay people, time to stop calling Fire Emblem a JRPG. That game is what we call a T(actical)RPG that happens to have a japanese flavored story.
Fire Emblem is both a SRPG and a JRPG. I fail to see the problem.
The problem would be that genre is meant to demark gameplay and inform expectations, and while it has magic swords and some character leveling, the fundamental gameplay is that of a turn based tactics game, making it much closer to something like Advanced Wars than it is to a game like Golden Sun. It might be passable for more similar games but the functional differences between a real JRPG and a tactics game is like night and day.

And did I see someone up there list Monster Hunter? I don't even have enough face for all of this palm!
JRPG has a broad meaning. Plus games can have multiple genres at the same time. Dragon's Dogma, for example, is both a WRPG and an action RPG. So is Dark Souls. Star Ocean is a JRPG with an action RPG battle system.

I fail to see what Fire Emblem lacks from the genre. JRPGs are not defined by their battle system.

Crazie_Guy said:
What can you tell me about Radiant Historia or Dragon's Dogma? Dust: An Elysian Tail is pretty dang good. I liked the character designs, and the fluid combat.
Radiant Historia is an extremely good RPG for the Nintendo DS. The story revolves around your character being able to time travel. There's lot of branching storylines, but done in a very solid manner unlike many other time travely games. The game is both linear (there are things you need to do in order to finish the game, and the story is not really driven by player choice per se) and nonlinear in that you can jump around to whatever time points you like and replay events as many times as you want until you get things right. Think FF13-2 but not awful.

Dragon's Dogma is Capcom's attempt to make a game like Demon's Souls and they shockingly did a pretty great job. You create a main character and a "pawn" character from scratch, then fill the other slots in your party with the pawn characters from other people online (or computer generated ones). You control your main character only but the pawns AI is not bad. It's an open world WRPG for the most part with sidequests to find, giant monsters to fight, and tons of stuff to explore. It's also a rare game to have realistic lighting at night (aka if you're caught out at night it's pitch black and extremely difficult to fight enemies you can't see) so you're driven around by a day night cycle in game. And unlike things like Skyrim you don't get practical fast travel until late in the game, so if you want to move from town to town you run there, hoping to make it before nightfall and not being intercepted by monsters on the way. It's a very immersive game. Walking along the road peacefully and suddenly a massive gryphon drops out of the sky and tries to murder you is an absolute blast.

It's shockingly good given what you'd normally expect out of Capcom. Capcom being Capcom, they immediately released a "updated version" of the game which has a sorta expansion sorta DLC addition, and this is now the definitive version.

Capcom also being Capcom, they're hard at work ruining the spiritual sequel, Deep Down, by making it free to play with microtransactions bursting from the seams.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
EternallyBored said:
Metacritic works by taking the overall scores dished out by professional review sites, it has a separate section for user reviews too, but those usually get bombed by people voting either perfect scores or 0's in order to manipulate the system. As for your movie comparison, yes, a movie can still fail financially while being considered underrated by critics, or garnering a cult fanbase, but the FF XIII trilogy has fallen in both reviews and sales numbers, so the movie comparison doesn't work.

See, the thing here is that all you've got is personal opinion, and hey, that's fine, like the games all you want. Plenty of reviewers have already torn apart the sequels, and even the original XIII, too many for it to just be rose colored glasses. There are plenty of reviewers and players out there that started out with FF X or even XIII itself, that have found the series to be thoroughly enjoyable, except for the XIII sequels, or XIII itself, the more acerbic critiques may come from the older fans, but my two old roommates who started with XIII as their first FF couldn't even make it through XIII-2 because, and I'm paraphrasing from memory years ago, "the story is fucking stupid, the combat feels like goddamn work by half-way through the game, and Serah is an even more boring character than Lightning, which I thought was physically impossible, fuck this shit I'm going back to the Tales games".
Wow I had the exact opposite reaction as your buddy. Hell Final Fantasy XIII-2 is the first game that made me shed a tear. To me its probably on my list of top 5 PS3 games. The critic backlash I can handle. I came to grips with them a long time ago. The utter bile, rage, and hatred from fans though I see no real rhyme or reason. It seems half the time they are yelling because "its not muh Final Fantasy". At least that's how half the negative comments I've seen towards that XIII's come off. There is a point when the fan critique stops and just descends into fans using a game as a convenient punching bag.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
KazeAizen said:
EternallyBored said:

Wow I had the exact opposite reaction as your buddy. Hell Final Fantasy XIII-2 is the first game that made me shed a tear. To me its probably on my list of top 5 PS3 games. The critic backlash I can handle. I came to grips with them a long time ago. The utter bile, rage, and hatred from fans though I see no real rhyme or reason. It seems half the time they are yelling because "its not muh Final Fantasy". At least that's how half the negative comments I've seen towards that XIII's come off. There is a point when the fan critique stops and just descends into fans using a game as a convenient punching bag.
That does happen, in some ways, the game gets a lot of hate because it also gets love, with a polarizing opinion people tend to gravitate towards the extreme ends of the scale more often, look back at the beginning of the thread to Chocorodeo's posts to see someone who seems way too invested in defending the games.

As for XIII-2, while I didn't hate it as much as my roommates, I found it to be an overall forgettable experience, time travel is hard to pull off well in even the best of stories, and 13-2 mostly just felt like an empty spectacle. The story of XIII also seems to be largely pointless in the scheme of XIII-2 as well, the time travel seems to erase what character development the original XIII, and I will never be able to forgive the game shunning Snow in favor of giving Serah yet another Bishonen pretty boy to pal around with, at least they didn't arbitrarily break off their engagement or anything, I will give the game that much.

Combat never felt like anything special, it was better than the borefest that was the first 20 hours of FF XIII's combat, but it still didn't really feel feel fun, and I had to stop multiple times playing through it because I just couldn't stand getting into one more battle. The multiple endings were a decent idea, but even the best ending just felt like pointless drama to set up another game, it almost felt like a goddamn cliffhanger, I haven't been that blueballed by a video game ending since Halo 2.

Lightning Returns was another mixed bag in a different way, as Yahtzee touched on, the whole time jump was kind of jarring considering that noone aged, but they all changed characterization anyway. I feel like if they hadn't pulled the same character reset in XIII-2, Lightning Returns would have worked better, doing it two games in a row just makes it too difficult for me to care about any of the party characters from the first game, their characterization isn't consistent enough for me to be drawn into their new situations. The whole end of the world, and drudgery of eternal life thing was actually interesting, but Lightning wasn't an interesting enough character to make the interaction between her and the immortal populace interesting. In the end, the story just feels so disconnected, and the entire trilogy just seems to end up trying to do too much, and accomplish too little.

To sum it all up, the 13 trilogy is polarizing because there are people that like it and hate it, and that friction causes people to become more extreme, either ignoring flaws in order to prove critics wrong, or exaggerating flaws to prove that the people who like it must be wrong. It's kind of like the DMC reboot debate, the game is far from perfect, but people get too emotionally invested in defending or attacking it, to the point that it is either an awesome game better than everything before it, or it is the worst thing ever and ruins all the past games retroactively.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Considering the fact that the world is going to end regardless and that even if you do well it only means spending more time with Robo-***** and Chatty Hope-y, I find myself less than motivated to say the least.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Yahtzee does a JRPG? This gonna be good. And it was ^_^
Glad I saw Noah Antwiler's AKA Spoony's review on FF13. Now I know who Serah is thanks to his SERAH Counter. She was this... girl... thing. Ah nevermind.

Final Fantasy should probably be renamed "Fuck Logic" with all those plotholes

How is this getting positive reviews? Oh, Machinima and IGN, of course.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Abomination said:
What is popular in Japan is mysterious and strange. Characters are frequently 2 dimensional hypocrites.
True, very seldom you find believable or deep characters in Japanese media. Just a lot of tropes. Might be that some things are lost in the translations, but it can't be that much, can it?