Zero Punctuation: Lollipop Chainsaw

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Hearing you taking the piss out of Other M makes my day. Shame, from what I saw of LC it looked fun, but just another average game in the collection. Hoping something good will turn up soon.

Also, have they made a game with zombie communists yet?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Iron Lightning said:
Kermi said:
Never mind the fact that out of this utterly stupid game about a 18 year old cheerleader killing zombies there was a genuinely moving moment where Juliet's father suicidally rides a motorcycle loaded with dynamite into the mouth of a 500ft tall zombie Elvis.
Oh my stars. Well, thanks to you, good sir, I now have to at very least give this game a rent. Can't really afford much with only about $15 of spending money on me right now but methinks this will be worth it.

Incidentally, seeing as how Tara Strong (the chick who voices Twilight Sparkle) did the voice for our intrepid heroine methinks it would be awesome if they released a Twilight Sparkle cosplay DLC costume. Who else agrees?
Mission accomplished then. :D

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
Great as always, the last line had me in stitches XD Totally agree with you on the sexism issue, you put it better than I ever could.
GamemasterAnthony said:
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid] before commenting further.
What Bob completely fails to understand in that video is that the character would be awful even if it wasn't Samus. The fact that it is is just insult to injury, and it's a DAMN big insult.

Out of interest - have you played Other M?
I have, actually...and it's actually a pretty good game from a gameplay perspective. From where I stand, it seems it only got a bad rap because of the story.

bandman232

Jun 27, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-40-heavens-metroid] before commenting further.
No, I'd say that Other M deserves every ounce of venom it receives.

Jerkules

Jun 27, 2012
Chatney said:
I think it's immature to equate something so trivial as a video game with real discrimination.
I'm not equating anything. There are many different forms of discrimination. Not all of them are equivalent, but they're all quite real, I can assure you.

Gamers are like any other group of people, but it's also immature to make a blanket statement and say that everyone who utters something sexist is automatically a sexist person when it's far more likely that they're just idiots reaching for vile crap to spew.
I don't think you quite understand what the word "immature" means. Besides, why should the two situations you've described be in any way mutually exclusive? Most people who spew misogynistic slurs are both misogynists and idiots looking to say the most hateful, ugly thing they can think of. The same goes for racist and homophobic slurs.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I've replayed it many times (have like 95% of trophies) and still want to replay it. If Afterburner Climax was a slasher, it'd be like this...
Really, it all depends on how much you are into score, leaderboards and slashers. Although initially it's really wonky, until you upgrade your combos.

Edit: you're doing the zombie baseball game wrong. 90% of time I complete it without Nick taking a single hit. It's not intuitive though, it's easy to start doing wrong stuff and screw up.
Tip: 1. Never leave ammo spawn, stand there and never leave firing mode (L2).
2. Reload often (square button Yahtzee! explains a lot really... Reload the fudjing Chainsaw Blaster manually with square button while aiming!) and pay attention to zombie spawn pattern which is 100% fixed and predictable.

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
Jerkules said:
That would imply that your time is valuable, which I personally doubt. But, uh, do what you feel bruh.
Thank you for proving my initial point.

Now, have a nice day, fellas.

Jerkules

Jun 27, 2012
Chatney said:
Jerkules said:
That would imply that your time is valuable, which I personally doubt. But, uh, do what you feel bruh.
Thank you for proving my initial point.

Now, have a nice day, fellas.
I thought you'd decided not to waste your time with me. Couldn't resist the urge to get the last word in, could you?

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
Eh, I'm still gonna pick up the game, despite reviews. In the end, it boils down to personal appeal anyway.

/shrug

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes it really is quite sad that a brain dead high school cheerleader could be considered progessive as far as women in video games are concerned.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, that "quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" moment pretty much sums up my feelings for this game perfectly. Still, might be cool. It definetly looks fun and "quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy", but I still want to try Shadows of the Damned first.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
GamemasterAnthony said:
SirBryghtside said:
Great as always, the last line had me in stitches XD Totally agree with you on the sexism issue, you put it better than I ever could.
GamemasterAnthony said:

What Bob completely fails to understand in that video is that the character would be awful even if it wasn't Samus. The fact that it is is just insult to injury, and it's a DAMN big insult.

Out of interest - have you played Other M?
I have, actually...and it's actually a pretty good game from a gameplay perspective. From where I stand, it seems it only got a bad rap because of the story.
Fuck you #1: It is a ninja gaiden style control scheme played with those annoying arrow keys that No More Heroes regulated to camera control duty. That simply cannot be considered good by any kind of objective judgmental scape.

Fuck you #2: Pointing the wiimote at the screen to use missiles. Do I even need to say anything else?

Fuck you #3: It did not play like a Metroid game. It played like God of War/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta/Devil May Cry. Metroid is about exploration and oppressive crushing atmosphere, similar to Silent Hill in design terms really, whereas Other M was a linear and hamstringed. A Metroid game without MetroidVania is not a Metroid game (PS: if you're such a Bob fantard you even try to bring up Metroid Prime,you automatically lose all credibility)

Fuck you #4: Even if you could argue that the gameplay wasn't shit balls on a stick, which some stupid people seem to think they can, the story was such a horrible abortion of basic story telling and utter rape of a pre-established character the gameplay could have revolutionized the fucking industry (spoiler: it didn't, it was actually a huge step backwards in that regard) and it would still be a horrible fucking game.

That "bad rap" is totally deserved, cuz fucking your girlfriend can be the most amazing experience ever, but everyone else is gonna say she's a shit lay because she likes to hide razor blades in her vagina. Yes I think that is a totally fair comparison and is only intentionally offense for shock value to prove a point by using extremes!

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
Xman490 said:
In Minecraft, there is a reason to "really, really need rotting meat". Rotten flesh and other meats heal pet wolves and make them mate.
Maybe it's the same thing with game developers coming together.
You don't really need rotting meat to make game developers mate. Cheap booze works as well if not better.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
Dunno if Yahtzee actually had fun with it or not but I still like playing this time to time.

Guilty Bystander

Mar 12, 2012
It has Zombies... Damn I hate the fact that people have been wearing the undead thin! I wish I didn't feel the need to sigh every time one of them pops out at me in a sewer grate or something because I like the scary appeal they once held. Now the end of the world by zombies is just as boring as morning coffee.