Zero Punctuation: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
What I choose to take away from this is that a fact I have held from childhood is still true

Luigi > Mario

On a side note, those Toads are REALLY lucky that Luigi loves them so much.

But yeah, Luigi...Luigi all the way.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbp592I5vr1qciesyo1_500.jpg

Aug 1, 2010
Falsename said:
FIRST!
Have to use this power for good not evil.... Uh..... Prophet from Crysis 3 is a total dickbag!!
You could have at least been clever about it.

I was all ready to type up an elaborate paragraph with carefully capitalized words that, if used as an acronym, would spell a certain word.

OT:
Nice to know SOMEONE at Nintendo actually cares about doing something interesting.

Also this is the most erotic thing I have ever watched. Make love to me Yahtzee.

Dec 14, 2009
But is it as good as New New New New New New Super Mario Bros?

Also, the Gamecube controller is still the best controller ever made.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Aww now how can Nintendo fanboys accuse him of just being biased against Nintendo when he eventually gives Zelda:Another One a bad review

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
That was so homoerotic, I'm surprised C-3PO didn't make a cameo appearance.

Anyways, nice to hear Nintendo is doing something reminiscent of sentient, intelligent activity.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Hm. Makes the game look like something I'd like to give a go. I hope it doesn't have a boss as annoying as Boolossus got around the last 5 Boos.

On the subject of the Wii U and controllers and developers, I just want to make one quick point.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Yahtzee...liking a nintendo game?!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD.

No, but seriouslly I was suprised how well this game is since you are stuck with only one circle pad.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So... much... homoeroticism...

So there you go, guys, Yahtzee actually enjoyed a Nintendo property. You may all go mind your misplaced socks now.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
That review was practically rimming with praise.
*[The following has been censored due to violent and graphic sexual content]* That'll teach you to not use puns...

I really need a 3DS...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Enlong said:
Hm. Makes the game look like something I'd like to give a go. I hope it doesn't have a boss as annoying as Boolossus got around the last 5 Boos.

On the subject of the Wii U and controllers and developers, I just want to make one quick point.

Those buttons are placed awkwardly, not sure if want...

OT: Luigi's Mansion 2, definitely on my "want" list now, I have never played the first one, but after getting a gamecube controller and some GC games for my Wii a few years back, my only though was "I wish I owned a gamecube as a kid for the godly controller" Instead limited to using the beautiful controller at a friends house for some Super Smash Bros Melee.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Jman1236 said:
Yahtzee...liking a nintendo game?!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD.

No, but seriouslly I was suprised how well this game is since you are stuck with only one circle pad.
If I remember correctly didn't the first Luigi's mansion have fixed camera angles? (Haven't played this one yet) Games with fixed camera angles complement one circle pads correctly, so it's no surprise the game plays pretty well.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
Country
🇬🇧
I did have quite an affection for the original Luigi's Mansion, I may have to consider getting this one, if only in part to boost my 3DS's meagre library. Also I agree, I've held for years that Luigi is more awesome than Mario.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
Luigi > Mario
As it should be.

Spot1990 said:
Aww now how can Nintendo fanboys accuse him of just being biased against Nintendo when he eventually gives Zelda:Another One a bad review
Same way they always do. They'll conveniently ignore everything nice he's ever said in favour of their narrative of outrage.

CrazyCapnMorgan said:
That was so homoerotic, I'm surprised C-3PO didn't make a cameo appearance.
The restraining order prevents it. But I've said too much.

Enlong said:

Which is awesome, as long as you don't want to play any games where there's some sort of primary tablet function.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Large amounts of homoeroticism and actually praising a Nintendo game...?

Yahtzee's having a midlife crisis, I think.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Enlong said:

Does it come bundeled with the WiiU? What happens to all those touchscreen-features then (in games that rely on them)?
I'm genuinely interested, since I don't own one and it seems kind of odd that there are two controllers for one console of which one just lacks a core feature (touchscreen).

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I bet you've never had to wring ectoplasm out of your facial hair
Well now you're just making personal assumptions about my character, Yahtzee.

OT: I own a sharp and pointy 3DS (for my sins) and to be honest I didn't give this game much of a look, having never played the original. However, Yahtzee's glowing praise is not a regular occurrence so I might just give this game a little look-see.

Enlong said:

That's just an Xbox 360 controller with the right analog stick and the face buttons swapped round. It's hardly evidence for Nintendo's innovation.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
*looks out window, sees pigs flying*

Hmm, Yahtzee must've given something from Nintendo a good review.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wow I laughed my ass off that episode, it's been a long time since i laughed so hard at an episode of ZP. From the repeated dick and sex jokes, to the look on the raptors face as Mario condemned him to a bottomless pit. Man that was just great.

Also I liked Lugi's Mansion on the Gamecube.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TheSniperFan said:
Does it come bundeled with the WiiU? What happens to all those touchscreen-features then (in games that rely on them)?
I'm genuinely interested, since I don't own one and it seems kind of odd that there are two controllers for one console of which one just lacks a core feature (touchscreen).
"No" and "You can't play them" would be the most likely answers. And the controller is probably not even used in games that don't use the touch-screen at all. It is most likely like the "Classic Controller" for the Wii: Just a remodelled GameCube Controller. Except this time, they ripped off the rough design from the XBox instead of making a slighly larger SNES controller with two sticks below start and select (which was a good idea!)

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Enlong said:

OT: Luigi's Mansion 2, definitely on my "want" list now, I have never played the first one, but after getting a gamecube controller and some GC games for my Wii a few years back, my only though was "I wish I owned a gamecube as a kid for the godly controller" Instead limited to using the beautiful controller at a friends house for some Super Smash Bros Melee.
The Wii U Pro controller looks pretty nice to me, but I've never minded any videogame controller except maybe the first Xbox controllers.

Luigi's Mansion 1 is pretty much a 3 hour tech demo for the Gamecube, so jumping into this one is probably a better idea, so if you want to get some more use for gamecube controllers get Windwaker, Mario Sunshine or the Pikmin games.

OT: I'm glad Yahtzee can stand not to be biased against Nintendo games, I guess if they don't have all the issues he has with them, (Playing as Mario or Link, being on the Wii or Wii U) he can praise them. Though I guess we already knew that with his love of Earthbound.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Damn you Yahtzee. Now I really want a Yorkie bar.
Still not sold on the 3ds though.

Anyone in the UK want to mail me a Yorkie?

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
There are only three Nintendo properties I know that I'll actually enjoy, Luigi's Mansion titles, Mario Karting, and Smash Bros. I am glad to see Nintendo finally caught on, now if only they'd made the game ported to a platform I actually own. This further makes me debate a 3DS, but I keep back-pedaling in order to upgrade my PC or get a big deal on Steam...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
ex275w said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Enlong said:

The Wii U Pro controller looks pretty nice to me, but I've never minded any videogame controller except maybe the first Xbox controllers.

Luigi's Mansion 1 is pretty much a 3 hour tech demo for the Gamecube, so jumping into this one is probably a better idea, so if you want to get some more use for gamecube controllers get Windwaker, Mario Sunshine or the Pikmin games.
Got Windwaker (loved it) and Mario Sunshine (yet to play it) and I might get the Pikmin games later.

Also, I wished Yahtzee would review Fire Emblem: Awakening, but its a little late for that, would have been interesting to see what he thought of it.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
4 multi coloured Luigis?
Isn't that why there are those 3 other guys with hats?
...You know, Mario, Wario and Waluigi?

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
TheSniperFan said:
As far as I know, it doesn't come bundled. I think it's a seperate controller to buy, like the Classic Controller was with the Wii. And like the Classic Controller, I think it can mostly be used in games without a primary tablet function.

However, that's the thing. Since this controller (and the default tablet) have the standard array of buttons, games can be made without tablet functions, without sacrificing the overall quality of the control scheme. Yeah, the Pro Controller is optional, but it's not like the Wii, where the default only had 4 buttons and a D-Pad without any add-ons.

Proverbial Jon said:
That's just an Xbox 360 controller with the right analog stick and the face buttons swapped round. It's hardly evidence for Nintendo's innovation.
I wasn' saying anything on the subject of innovation, just that the Wii U has a comfortable, almost gamecube-esque controller option. Which I seriously hope more Devs pick up on. They can make games that control as normal, but have off-TV capabilities for those using the Tablet.

Or maybe use the tablet in other ways, like jsut making it a menu screen, but give users of the Pro Controller a regular menu screen (or transparent overlay) to use.

Since he same number of butotns are standard, they won't be losing money on people who don't buy the pro conroller, since they can sill play it on the tablet, even if the game doesn't have tablet functions.

And wasn't the Gamecube using a controller with similar buttons? Minus the second and third shoulder buttons, of course. I mean, standard controllers haven't really stretched very far since the days of the Gamecube. The most radical additions have been increasing numbers of L and R.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Eh, I would like to play Luigi's mansion DM thought I am currently ...
Well lets say I was already 'sucked' into a really good game.

A game that is called Fire Emblem: Awakening.
And it is DAAAAMN good.
Hopefully Yahtzee can review it, but meh ... I'm enjoying it too much.

I just might get the new Luigi's Mansion if my wallet allows me to.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Anyway, this was a pretty fun review. I figured he'd have some nice things to say about it, since his review of Luigi and Luigi: Luigi's Inside Story told us pretty well his opinion on the second of the two Mario Brothers.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
ex275w said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Enlong said:

Got Windwaker (loved it) and Mario Sunshine (yet to play it) and I might get the Pikmin games later.

Also, I wished Yahtzee would review Fire Emblem: Awakening, but its a little late for that, would have been interesting to see what he thought of it.
My guess is that he doesn't like the franchise much because of all the shit he got for not knowing who Marth is. While he's recently liked turn-based games, (and admitted so) the animu style, and cliched story might turn him off. Maybe he tried Sacred Stones with the ambassador program, but that's unlikely. Also Fire Emblem came out in PAL regions some days ago, but I'll guess he's going to review Dead Island: Riptide next week.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Falsename said:
FIRST!
Have to use this power for good not evil.... Uh..... Prophet from Crysis 3 is a total dickbag!!
*throws blue shell*

OT: I really enjoyed Dark Moon and in this day and age a game in which I actually want to play a new file instantly after beating the first one is a-okay in my book. I wish the ghosts had a little more personality and different designs like in the first one, but other than that it was great.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
themilo504 said:
so what you?re saying is that this game really sucks.
I?m sorry for that pun.
Now you're just misrepresenting it.

It occasionally blows and flashes, too.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Enlong said:
Anyway, this was a pretty fun review. I figured he'd have some nice things to say about it, since his review of Luigi and Luigi: Luigi's Inside Story told us pretty well his opinion on the second of the two Mario Brothers.
Maybe Nintendo saw those reviews and made 2013 the year of Luigi so they can sway Yahtzee over to his side, Nintendo will gain Yahtzee's trust and then... one night, while Yahtzee is asleep, Nintendo will knife him. After that they'll release New Super Mario Bros. 3,4,5,6,7,8 and make Link to the Past 3,4,5,6,7.

So what I'm saying is I hope Mario & Luigi: Dream Team will be an enjoyable game and I hope Yahtzee enjoys it.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
TizzytheTormentor said:
Is it? It released only last week in EU, do you know when the australian release date was?

Edit: Just checked: 20th April. It could be in one of the upcoming episodes.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Damn you Yahtzee. Now I really want a Yorkie bar.
Still not sold on the 3ds though.

Anyone in the UK want to mail me a Yorkie?
Arrangements could be made *puts on a top hat and mustache* how much of your soul are you willing to sell me?

I had a feeling this one would fly by Yahtzee's critical spectrum wearing a 'I survived' T-Shirt.
Not many people I've spoken to dislike it. And especially those who didn't even place the first one. They're surprised this is a sequel.

Edit: hit the wrong quote button that first time.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
TheKasp said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Is it? It released only last week in EU, do you know when the australian release date was?

I honestly hope he does review it. I've already bought the game on release, beaten it a few times, and messed around with some DLC, but I would like to see his take on it since he normally hates JRPG's.

The game isn't perfect though, I know he would point out the dick move of an enemy spawning and moving the same turn.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
ex275w said:
Enlong said:
Maybe Nintendo saw those reviews and made 2013 the year of Luigi so they can sway Yahtzee over to his side, Nintendo will gain Yahtzee's trust and then... one night, while Yahtzee is asleep, Nintendo will knife him. After that they'll release New Super Mario Bros. 3,4,5,6,7,8 and make Link to the Past 3,4,5,6,7.

So what I'm saying is I hope Mario & Luigi: Dream Team will be an enjoyable game and I hope Yahtzee enjoys it.
They'd make Link To The Past 3 before making Link To The Past 2? Impressive.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I think I'm too tired because I seem to have missed all those erotic jokes in this video that everyone keeps talking about.

OT:
I was a bit skeptic before buying a 3ds but it has quite a lot of games now that I want to play and I'm pretty happy with it (though my hand really does hurt sometimes when using it for a while).

Smogger

Nov 8, 2010
Now that he's reviewing Nintendo games, why not Fire Emblem or (better yet) Soul Hackers?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
GAunderrated said:
I honestly hope he does review it. I've already bought the game on release, beaten it a few times, and messed around with some DLC, but I would like to see his take on it since he normally hates JRPG's.

The game isn't perfect though, I know he would point out the dick move of an enemy spawning and moving the same turn.
I'm powerleveling Panne at this very moment because she is married to my PC (the only female character I had no immediate intentions of strangling with her own intestines) and I want the child to be not only a literal beast :D

The game isn't perfect but my gripes are a little different... due to my positioning I was only once fucked over by respawn (in chapter 13). My problem are the female characters... At this very moment I hate every one of them (haven't played past chapter 13 though) with the above exception. I just saw each and every one of them so many times in bad anime / manga and I don't even watch many animes to begin with (was forced once by a then girlfriend to sith through some). But at least the gameplay is quite solid and the possibilities are there for customisation.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
McMarbles said:
*looks out window, sees pigs flying*

Hmm, Yahtzee must've been given something from Nintendo for a good review.
Yes. They gave him a GOOD game to review.
It happens more than people say. Get a net set up for next time, and you can have pork wings.;)

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
I remember playing the first Luigi's Mansion when I was 7 and being too afraid to finish it. I finally played through it 2 years ago and loved it. This is now on my buy list.

Also, Yahtzee isn't the only one to make homoerotic jokes.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/04/03

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Enlong said:
ex275w said:
Enlong said:

They're already making LTTP 2.

OT: Anyone else notice that the offshoot Mario games are the best ones? Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario(barring Sticker Star). All superior to the main series.

Also, was that a compliment towards Nintendo consoles in order to make a dig at the others for their social network components? Yahtzee, you sly devil.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
TheKasp said:
TizzytheTormentor said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that, I have an American 3DS so I downloaded it via eShop.

Hope it comes up, but I presume next week will be (as ex275w pointed out) will be Dead Island, a game people will all too happily see him rip a new one.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Smogger said:
Now that he's reviewing Nintendo games, why not Fire Emblem or (better yet) Soul Hackers?
Call it a hunch, but I imagine he would hate Awakening.
A lot.

Awakening has the meat of a good game, but where it fails, it fails hard.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
This makes me cheery I used to play as Luigi in the Super Mario World SNES game.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Wait a minute... ONLINE MULTIPLAYER IN A NINTENDO GAME? One that isn't necessarily competitive? (see: Mario Kart and Smash Bros)

*SIGH* If only the 3DS wasn't so allegedly difficult to hold and demeaning to play on in a public setting as a 20-something-year-old, I would buy it for this game and Super Mario 3D Land (or Super Mario Bros. 3 in 3D, more like). Heck, I'd even sort-of want to get its Lego City, DKC Returns, Sonic Racing, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Fire Emblem games!

pottyaboutpotter1

Mar 3, 2013
Gosh. How homoerotic. Luigi isn't exactly an orthodox choice of a man crush in Video Games but I can see the appeal. Dat mustache.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
The Last Melon said:
Well, that was...

*crosses legs*

...homoerotic.
Well that was disappointing. I was expecting a pun.

I guess you could say I was dealt a...

*puts on sunglasses, and crosses legs*

stiff hand.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(and yes, it does somewhat work, maybe not the best pun, but it was the best I could come up with in the short time I had).

StormShaun said:

And it is DAAAAMN good.

And while I agree with Yahtzee needing to review it, because if he got past the anime characters I feel like he'd really enjoy the gameplay, I can say that I finally beat it, and so I am free for a few more games now.

Just to say, no matter what, do not let a character die. You will regret it. Not in gameplay, but you feel like shit later on, because you couldn't save that one little mage, and Nowi is now stuck being all alone because I failed to keep her husband alive and and and...

I promised myself I wouldn't do this...

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
wintercoat said:
Enlong said:
ex275w said:
Enlong said:

They're already making LTTP 2.
Wait what? Seriously?

Can I have a link to some info on that? If true, it entirely slipped my radar.

And strikes me as a bit odd. They haven't gone with numbering since the second NES game, and even then it had a different title in addition to the number.

...and ALTTP already has a direct sequel in Link's Awakening.

So yeah, I'd love to see a link to that, because you have just succeeded in baffling me.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm glad he liked it. I find the gameplay really refreshing (there's not much on the market like it) and as he said Luigi is a really charming character in this.

The multiplayer is fun too.

Happy at Yahtzee's reaction :p

I don't find the 3DS difficult to hold but then I have tiny hands so maybe its a big hand thing.

Enlong said:
So yeah, I'd love to see a link to that, because you have just succeeded in baffling me.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123361-Nintendo-Announces-A-Link-to-the-Past-2

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
wintercoat said:
OT: Anyone else notice that the offshoot Mario games are the best ones? Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario(barring Sticker Star). All superior to the main series.

Also, was that a compliment towards Nintendo consoles in order to make a dig at the others for their social network components? Yahtzee, you sly devil.
I think we can all agree that the 3D Marios are always amazing to really good. Sadly they're always pushed in with the crap known as the NSMB series. But yeah Mario offshoots and the 3D Marios are always the best ones. I can agree that Mario 2D Platformers have been routinely shit to mediocre, though.

OT: I see Yahtzee hasn't got the uber-comfy 3DS XL. Seriously, the XL is the best feeling handheld I've ever held, mainly because I have massive man hands.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Country
United States
Proverbial Jon said:

OT: I own a sharp and pointy 3DS (for my sins) and to be honest I didn't give this game much of a look, having never played the original. However, Yahtzee's glowing praise is not a regular occurrence so I might just give this game a little look-see.

Enlong said:

And the 360 controller is just a dualshock 2... and the dualshock is just an SNES controller with thumbsticks and and two extra shoulder buttons.

With that said though, I'm not that fond of the WiiU pro controller. The placement of the right analog stick was a really bad idea.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I have this theory that Yahtzee actually is homosexual, and he's only pretending to be pretending to be gay tongue-in-cheek style to throw us off the scent.

I'm on to you, Yahtzee!
o.o

Y'know, I actually enjoyed Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube, so this might be fun. Too bad I don't have a 3DS and would never buy a piece of hardware for just one thing. If anything, this review made me want to break the Gamecube out of storage.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You CAN run, you have to hold down a button to run, which I found annoying. Also, the time attack and lack of purpose for the money after the upgrades, I TOTALLY agree with.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I don't find the 3DS difficult to hold but then I have tiny hands so maybe its a big hand thing.
ToastiestZombie said:
OT: I see Yahtzee hasn't got the uber-comfy 3DS XL. Seriously, the XL is the best feeling handheld I've ever held, mainly because I have massive man hands.
Judging from our three experiences it does seems it's a hand size issue :p 3DS man-sized...like kleenex lol.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Just a message to those who like Mario more than Luigi.

Luigi was always my favorite, and I'm the older brother and wasn't forced to play as player 2. Kinda surprised by the review and laughed a few times. And for some reason Luigi and the homoerotic jokes work really well. But that's natural. Dat mustache.

Enlong said:
It actually looks quite good. Here's a 14 minute gameplay video.
It should be playable at E3 and release by the end of the year iirc.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
Judging from our three experiences it does seems it's a hand size issue :p 3DS man-sized...like kleenex lol.
Well, I gotta admit the 3DS' original design was pretty terrible, if they had just smoothed out the corners and made it matte instead of plastic it would have been really good.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I'm glad he liked it. I find the gameplay really refreshing (there's not much on the market like it) and as he said Luigi is a really charming character in this.

The multiplayer is fun too.

Happy at Yahtzee's reaction :p

Enlong said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123361-Nintendo-Announces-A-Link-to-the-Past-2
...huh.

I wonder if it's gonna keep the number title in the end. I hope not. It should a least have a subtitle to go with it.

Anyway, I wonder where it can even go as a direc sequel. I mean, in the end of A Link To The Past, Ganon's dead (not sealed, dead), the world's been wished back to peace, and Link put the Master Sword back in its seal. What is left, one wonders?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Enlong said:
Anyway, I wonder where it can even go as a direc sequel. I mean, in the end of A Link To The Past, Ganon's dead (not sealed, dead), the world's been wished back to peace, and Link put the Master Sword back in its seal. What is left, one wonders?
Well, Reggie said it's an entirely new story, so i'm guessing Link'll have some new evil to fight. Either that or they'll choose to retcon the first game's story entirely.

---------------

OT: Meanwhile, Satan sits on his throne, wondering how the hell it got so cold all of a sudden....
/obligitory

This game's actually been on my radar for a while, but I've been wrapped up in other games. I hope to be able to get it soon, because the first one was pretty awesome.

Hilarious review, BTW. Just how I like 'em: Quick, fair and leaves me sore in the end....
... FROM LAUGHTER! from laughter, guys.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Yahtzee, if you want a 3DS that doesn't dig into your hands, for the love of god, get an XL; I love my XL. Bigger screen than the standard 3DS all my sisters have, nicely rounded corners, and a better battery life.

OT: I may have to put this on my Christmas wish-list; any game Yahtzee has actually liked is a game I usually end up enjoying, myself. It was Yahtzees praise of XCOM that got me to buy that, after all, and perked my interest in Spec Ops: The Line. Picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening today, though, and I would be curious what his opinion of it would be; I'm liking it so far.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Oh wait, there is no confirmed title for the game yet. So it'll probably have a new title, just like each game since the first.

I figure it's likely to be similar to Spirit Tracks; a "sequel" that takes place in the same world, but generations later.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Say what you want about the WiiU, at least it doesn't look like a marrital aid *cough cough* WiiMote *cough cough*

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I think his hate for most Nintendo titles came from his absolute LOATHING of the Wii. I can think of 2 titles that he liked on it, Mario Galaxy and I think No More Heroes, even though others still got rave reviews from this very site, he just couldn't stand the Wii.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
This episode needed more blowjob jokes. I feel like it was just a little under the amount necessary.

I never played the GameCube version, but I have been having a really good time with this. It's kind of like a nice, low-impact sort of point-and-click adventure game. It's a great game to play when I'm in the mood for something like that. Plus it gives me an excuse other than Fire Emblem to use my 3DS.

iamnotincompliance

Apr 23, 2008
If the 3DS is going to be Nintendo's go-to platform for resurrecting their dead franchises, then come on Big N, Startropics 3. Look, it even has a 3 at the end! You can make it big and bold on the cover to signify it's both the third game and on the 3DS on that same clever way everyone does!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
JoJo said:
I did have quite an affection for the original Luigi's Mansion, I may have to consider getting this one, if only in part to boost my 3DS's meagre library. Also I agree, I've held for years that Luigi is more awesome than Mario.
If you liked the original you'll like this one. That's the only reason I bought it and I have it next to me right now.

OT: Yeah, Luigi is actually pretty adorable in this one, which helps you sympathize with him. He's still accident prone too, and you kind of feel bad when he gets hurt.
The controls will piss you off a bit though.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
The thing I most agreed with, the absolute pain the original DS system caused to my wrists. *insert obligatory masturbation joke*

C14N

May 28, 2008
Yahtzee has said lots of good things about Nintendo in the past. He's had nothing but praise for the Gamecube and has said that Metroid Prime, various Paper Marios, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker and even Twilight Princess were all good games. Stop being so surprised that he liked one of their games.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:

Enlong said:

It's an innovation of laziness and theft, that's what it is. As for Defiance, the show's good, the game's sort of 'meh' as I heard it. I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube and Luigi didn't come off as a wuss, but putting on a brave face for the challenge he had. So how did Yahtzee approve of this game and give the other Mario games crap?

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
C14N said:
Yahtzee has said lots of good things about Nintendo in the past. He's had nothing but praise for the Gamecube and has said that Metroid Prime, various Paper Marios, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker and even Twilight Princess were all good games. Stop being so surprised that he liked one of their games.
Seriously, he tends to ***** around a lot about overused IPs but in general he never actually calls the games bad. Most of the times, it's actually very valid criticism filled with vitriol for comedy's sake. It's just that fanboys get their panties in a twist for even the tiniest opposing comment as if nintendo can't go wrong. Makes them fail to realize that yahtzee rarely calls the games bad.

Still, them fanboys are a bit on a high right now. I hope he reviews Fire Emblem next week to get them back to earth again.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Proverbial Jon said:

Enlong said:
It's an innovation of laziness and theft, that's what it is. As for Defiance, the show's good, the game's sort of 'meh' as I heard it. I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube and Luigi didn't come off as a wuss, but putting on a brave face for the challenge he had. So how did Yahtzee approve of this game and give the other Mario games crap?
Because the X-Box controller looks nothing like a GameCube controller? There is only so many standard designs for a controller that are functional. The GameCube/Xbox share the same basic format.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Did Yahtzee really have to use Wife Beater logic to express his relationship with Nintendo?

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Enlong said:
Oh wait, there is no confirmed title for the game yet. So it'll probably have a new title, just like each game since the first.

I figure it's likely to be similar to Spirit Tracks; a "sequel" that takes place in the same world, but generations later.
well there's a few periods of time between LttP and OoS/OoA, and between OoS/OoA and LA that aren't filled in.(after LA there is a huge timeskip but LttP/Oo?/LA link DOES make it to wherever he's going)

immediately after LttP link assists around hyrule and runs errands for the triforce (leading to him getting warped to holodrum and labrynna), and there's the short period of time after the oracle games where LA's backstory mentions him attempting to fight ganon again before setting off on the boat.

and then there's the fact that vaati is still alive in that timeline, it's possible that he manages to escape the four sword, and if the ending of LttP is to be trusted, Fi's Master Sword is never used again in that timeline (not counting the ones from the oracle games, since they are just regular swords made by ordinary smiths) so it would give us a legendary sword to use. (there's also Dethyl, the wind fish's nightmare, the final boss of LA is specifically stated to draw from link's memories, and dethyl's final form is the only creature that LttP link has never seen AT ALL, but it does look pretty similar to some of vaati's forms)

my theory is that it's either just after LttP and we deal with vaati breaking free, or just after the oracle games and ganon frees vaati, prompting link to find another way of killing ganon and starting LA

it's unlikely to be during the timeskip between LA and LoZ because during that time period, the royal family was actively using the triforce to keep the peace

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Well... Pleasantly surprised indeed. I think I may finally let you off the hook for Uprising, Croshaw. I honestly thought you were gonna gloss over this without doing a review because you didn't hate it enough, like you did for Sonic Colors.

But yeah, now that you weren't a totally unreasonable prick to my March-released, 3DS-based pick for GotY. Different game in a different March in a different year, but the principle still stands. Same 3DS though. Haven't gotten an XL yet.

(And before anyone jumps on me, Portal 2 was my pick for 2011.)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, Luigi's Mansion is just a big old ball of crystalized fun. It even helped get my non-video game playing girlfriend into video games (well, after playing Jak and Daxter a whole bunch), so nevermind that "casual gaming has to be stupid mini games" cliche. Hopefully by this time next year, the Wii U has some games as good as the library the 3DS has right now.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
Australia
Because Fire emblem is sold out for a fucking MONTH where I live, I think I just discovered my next game!

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
It's an innovation of laziness and theft, that's what it is.
You do realise the xbox pad is based on the snes controller right?

:|

Not to mention the current consoles copying the wii's motion control...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Wow. Yahtzee enjoying a Nintendo game, haven't seen that in a while.

I just might get this game, it does sound fun.

Also, I have to ask: who is that bored looking guy with the curly hair you seem to use in almost every episode?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not getting into the Mario vs Luigi thing. I've always loved both brothers.
Anyway I had a feeling Yahtzee would be all over this one like jam on toast.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Yahtzee likes Nintendo games with strong characterization and polished core mechanics?

*COUGHFIREEMBLEMAWAKENINGCOUGH*

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I dunno if he'd like Fire Emblem much. Isn't he on record as not enjoying games with weapon degradation?

Then again, it's been a long while since that particular review.

Caramel Frappe said:
Yahtzee liked a Nintendo game?
Also he likes Luigi more then Mario?

Holy crap am I in some sort of DC universe that has gone a route with unexpected twists?
Ether way, this was a nice video and the humor made me chuckle quite a bit :)
Watch his video of Luigi and Mario: Bowser's Inside Story.

MYWA

Jan 23, 2013
Yahtzee liked a Nintendo game? Why are people acting like this some great revelation? He actually likes quite a few things Nintendo has done, if you've been paying attention. In fact, what I like about this review is that it's a kind of culmination of the pleasant attitude he's had toward not only Nintendo, but the Mario franchise itself.

Look, Yahtzee doesn't hate the Wii (and Wii U) because he hates Nintendo; he hates them because he thinks they're gimmicky and stupid. Yahtzee doesn't hate Smash Bros. because he hates Nintendo; he hates Smash Bros. because he thinks fighting games are shallow and uninteresting, Smash Bros. especially so. Yahtzee doesn't hate Super Mario games; he just feels they've become staid, overused nostalgia traps, however competently made. He doesn't hate Zelda games, only the new ones that don't add very much (he actually liked Wind Waker and kind of liked Twilight Princess). I could go on.

And even if he did hate Nintendo, there is ZERO evidence to suggest that he hates them as a company more than Microsoft or Sony (quite the reverse, actually). I just wish fanboys on either side would just shut up bitching about things so much. A large part of why I can't take the video game industry seriously is the fans.

On a related note, I definitely agree that Mario spinoff games are much more appealing than the mainstream titles these days. They're quirkier, more creative, got more personality, bolder art styles, better humour, more story...Hey, Nintendo, when 2nd party companies are doing Mario Bros. better than you, you're doing it wrong.

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
Copper Zen said:
Large amounts of homoeroticism and actually praising a Nintendo game...?

Yahtzee's having a midlife crisis, I think.
Or perhaps he's just afraid of getting burned by the PS4, NextBox, and women, so the alternatives are starting to appeal to him :D

And honestly, the way things are looking, Nintendo may be my console of choice this gen. At least they still care about making game FUN. Also, great vid! I always felt bad sacrificing yoshi for double jumps. Not bad enough to stop doing it, but still felt guilty.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Completely agree with the Gamecube controller, the only controller my hands love hugging. It's a shame the Gamecube didn't get more love though I reckon that's because it was competing against a giant with an amazing library.

And funnily enough I didn't want to buy the 3DS because it's so thin and sharp.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The innuendos in this video are strong.

Glad to see you liked it Yahtzee, guess the praise this game got are quite true, which happens not very often.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
You know...I'm really thinking that I should sell my Vita for a 3DS XL. I can play Zero Escape on the 3DS now, I really don't need portable Ninja Gaiden games, and I can sacrifice what Golden adds to Persona 4 in order to have Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, SMT games, etc. Not to mention that I wouldn't need to re-purchase my regular DS library in order to play them on the 3DS. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
"They're afraid to show that Mario doesn't like peas, in case they lose the entire pea-loving demographic."

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I liked the first Luigi's mansion, mostly because I've always been a fan of the ghost house levels in the regular Super Mario games. As such, it seems like this is the game for me.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
"I think I see how the Nintendo flowchart works. Question 1: Are you an entirely original property? If yes, sod off!"

I'll take that as a confession that you're too lazy to go onto the 3DS' eShop then Yahtzee.

It amazes me how even when he reviews a Nintendo game he actually likes, he still manages to say something stupid that blows his credibility.

Look, Yahtzee doesn't hate the Wii (and Wii U) because he hates Nintendo; he hates them because he thinks they're gimmicky and stupid.
Only because he's proven time and again that he can't work them properly for whatever strange reason. I've had a Wii since Day 1 and can only count two or three times the controls were a problem. His complaints w/ holding the 3DS does not help to convince me either.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I can admi that Nintendo hasn't made a lot of new franchises in a while, but they're not opposed to new properties coming down he 3rd party pipe.

Which is why I'm glad for the Pro Controller, as it means that 3rd parties who don't want to deal with the tablet or wiimote don't need to.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
klaynexas3 said:
Ah, I only know of a fraction of what you feel.
I am currently playing on casual since I am new to the whole series, but don't worry I will turn off casual mode when I play it for a second time!

funny thing, I got my avatar (Shorn) to pair up with Nowi, and damn ... all the power. o.o
But yeah it is a damn good game so far.

*Ahem* I should say something about the review so the mods don't kill me.

The sucking off jokes were top quality my dear fellow Yahtzee.
I may buy it for the multiplayer. :p

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Yahtzee complaining about Defiance using made up swear words? You swear he had never played Thief.

Anyways it doesn't seem too different from Luigi's Mansion. I'll keep playing htat

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
I think at this point Croshaw's just begging us all to open the closet door for him so he can leap out and curse us all for tormenting him.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
There are more dick jokes in this series than I've come up with in my entire life, and we use to have contests in Jr. High to see who could come up with the most in one sitting.

Captcha: by the book

It could've at least been BUY the book, so I could turn it into a clever Mogworld/Jam reference. Curse you, you creativity-stifling captcha!

EDIT:
strumbore said:
I think at this point Croshaw's just begging us all to open the closet door for him so he can leap out and curse us all for tormenting him.
I'm thinking that door is probably more of a post-Psycho shower curtain by this time. :)

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
The Last Melon said:
Well, that was...

*crosses legs*

...homoerotic.
Well that was disappointing. I was expecting a pun.

I guess you could say I was dealt a...

*puts on sunglasses, and crosses legs*

stiff hand.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(and yes, it does somewhat work, maybe not the best pun, but it was the best I could come up with in the short time I had).

StormShaun said:

And it is DAAAAMN good.

And while I agree with Yahtzee needing to review it, because if he got past the anime characters I feel like he'd really enjoy the gameplay, I can say that I finally beat it, and so I am free for a few more games now.

Just to say, no matter what, do not let a character die. You will regret it. Not in gameplay, but you feel like shit later on, because you couldn't save that one little mage, and Nowi is now stuck being all alone because I failed to keep her husband alive and and and...

I promised myself I wouldn't do this...

Y'know the two conditions that would have lead me to buying the 3DS were a new Fire Emblem game that was actually good, a port of Disgaea 2, and hopefully the release of a successor to Grasshopper Manufacturer's "Contact." I'm curious about the new Fire Emblem and would like to see a Yahtzee review of it though. I've been a fan of Fire Emblem for a long time. Especially the GBA title simply labeled "Fire Emblem." Aside from The Walking Dead's Clementine, Nino is the only child in gaming i wouldn't shoot in the face the moment i saw her.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Yes, I also once got told off for making up swear words by my mum and not just swearing.

I knew I was watching too many ShackTac ARMA 2 videos when I start hearing the clinky running sounds when walking outside. Also going to buy dinner at night after watching all the episodes of DayZ Ahead.

Luigi is also famous for this
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/weegee

And this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_xdpji-D8

Why I don't play online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YimrJtLaSqo

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
the entire review, this is all I could think of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSWdHY9Ny4

A Gray Phantom

Mar 4, 2011
I would love it if there were this big reveal that E. Gadd turns out to be this monstrous villain.
Think about it, he enslaves all the ghosts with horrid mind control power, but when they liberate themselves (and never actually harm anyone, as they keep to themselves in the mansion) E. Gadd kidnaps Luigi and forces him to imprison all the ghosts in an itty-bitty living space.
E. Gadd, worst super villain Nintendo has ever known.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
Australia
Watched the video Thursday, Bought the game friday.

Having someone else tell you what's actually worth your time/money = priceless.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Spot1990 said:
What are you talking about?

He's given many Nintendo games good reviews before. He's even mentioned that he's a big fan of the Paper Mario series. Having a bias isn't the same thing as automatic rejection and even we retarded "Nintendo fanboys" know that.

In fact, by assuming that he'll dislike the next Zelda game without knowing anything about it, you are the one painted him as a biased reviewer incapable of judging Nintendo positively regardless of what they release. Are you saying that there's no way he'll like the next Zelda even if it turns out to be really good?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
OlasDAlmighty said:
Spot1990 said:
What are you talking about?

He's given many Nintendo games good reviews before. He's even mentioned that he's a big fan of the Paper Mario series. Having a bias isn't the same thing as automatic rejection and even we retarded "Nintendo fanboys" know that.

In fact, by assuming that he'll dislike the next Zelda game without knowing anything about it, you are the one painted him as a biased reviewer incapable of judging Nintendo positively regardless of what they release. Are you saying that there's no way he'll like the next Zelda even if it turns out to be really good?
It was a joke based on his SSBB, Kid Icarus and many other reviews where a good chunk of the comments are just accusing him of not liking Nintendo by Nintendo fanboys who honestly can't fathom why someone would dislike a game they like unless they're just biased against it.

Are you saying that there's no way he'll like the next Zelda even if it turns out to be really good?
Obviously not because it was a joke. The fact that I said the next Zelda would just be called Another One probably should have been the hint for that.

riftermcriftington

Dec 11, 2010
Wow Yahtzee, you must really be hurting for a Tripple A survival horror experience. I doubt LMDM really scratched that particular itch.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
It was a joke based on his SSBB, Kid Icarus and many other reviews where a good chunk of the comments are just accusing him of not liking Nintendo by Nintendo fanboys who honestly can't fathom why someone would dislike a game they like unless they're just biased against it.
One: Not everyone who disagrees with him is a fanboy. He can still hate on the game and have stupid reasons to hate it. Like being unable to work the controls, something I refuse to believe not even he can have a decent defense for anymore when he bitches about games I've played for control that don't exist. Not to mention critiques that are just petty.

And two: I've said this countless times in regards to the Kid Icarus review, especially after he went on a tirade in Extra Punctuation about he has this so-called journalistic integrity. You don't get integrity by calling the people who actually like the game "twats" about a minute in. Nor do you for generalizing every single detractor of yours as a "fanboy." That's called "arrogant."

Anyway no I don't think he's biased anymore. I do however think he's pretentious and doesn't do his research considering, again, he makes a joke about how Nintendo doesn't make any original IPs that much anymore yet if he'd go into the eShop, he'd see they made the Pushmo series, the Dillon's Rolling Western series, Sakura Samurai and HarmoKnight to name a few examples.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Well, it was only inevitable to finally realize that they've milked Mario so much his teets are raw. Luigi, toadstool and the Princess should get some decent spinoffs now that Mario needs some time to heal up.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Machine Man 1992 said:
It's achieved dick joke singularity!
I shall harness the energy of this artificial singularity to power my mighty battle cruisers and rule the galaxy!

Anyways, the fact that Nintendo made a game that does not come with an attachment to whatever is almost astounding or maybe they made the Australia-only "vacuum" attachment.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
I...

I was expecting to walk in here with a pathetically lengthly explanation of why Luigi's Mansion is a good game and defending it from Yahtzee.

I'm surprised. .. it sounds like he likes it. A Nintendo game. Wow.

Crisis averted. And now I have the befit of always sexualizing Luigi in my mind. That mustachioed one sure can suck!
.. No... no.. that other mustachioed one.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Almack said:
Maybe luigi is the future of the mario franchise.
Perhaps it might. Like Yahtzee said, he's the only character allowed to have any spec of personality. And he seems more like a complete character on the grand scheme. I really hope Nintendo gets what we like about him and don't run this opportunity into the ground like they did before.