Zero Punctuation: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

C14N

May 28, 2008
Yahtzee has said lots of good things about Nintendo in the past. He's had nothing but praise for the Gamecube and has said that Metroid Prime, various Paper Marios, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker and even Twilight Princess were all good games. Stop being so surprised that he liked one of their games.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
I bet you've never had to wring ectoplasm out of your facial hair
Well now you're just making personal assumptions about my character, Yahtzee.

OT: I own a sharp and pointy 3DS (for my sins) and to be honest I didn't give this game much of a look, having never played the original. However, Yahtzee's glowing praise is not a regular occurrence so I might just give this game a little look-see.

Enlong said:

That's just an Xbox 360 controller with the right analog stick and the face buttons swapped round. It's hardly evidence for Nintendo's innovation.
It's an innovation of laziness and theft, that's what it is. As for Defiance, the show's good, the game's sort of 'meh' as I heard it. I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube and Luigi didn't come off as a wuss, but putting on a brave face for the challenge he had. So how did Yahtzee approve of this game and give the other Mario games crap?

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
C14N said:
Yahtzee has said lots of good things about Nintendo in the past. He's had nothing but praise for the Gamecube and has said that Metroid Prime, various Paper Marios, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Wind Waker and even Twilight Princess were all good games. Stop being so surprised that he liked one of their games.
Seriously, he tends to ***** around a lot about overused IPs but in general he never actually calls the games bad. Most of the times, it's actually very valid criticism filled with vitriol for comedy's sake. It's just that fanboys get their panties in a twist for even the tiniest opposing comment as if nintendo can't go wrong. Makes them fail to realize that yahtzee rarely calls the games bad.

Still, them fanboys are a bit on a high right now. I hope he reviews Fire Emblem next week to get them back to earth again.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Proverbial Jon said:
I bet you've never had to wring ectoplasm out of your facial hair
Well now you're just making personal assumptions about my character, Yahtzee.

OT: I own a sharp and pointy 3DS (for my sins) and to be honest I didn't give this game much of a look, having never played the original. However, Yahtzee's glowing praise is not a regular occurrence so I might just give this game a little look-see.

Enlong said:
That's just an Xbox 360 controller with the right analog stick and the face buttons swapped round. It's hardly evidence for Nintendo's innovation.
It's an innovation of laziness and theft, that's what it is. As for Defiance, the show's good, the game's sort of 'meh' as I heard it. I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube and Luigi didn't come off as a wuss, but putting on a brave face for the challenge he had. So how did Yahtzee approve of this game and give the other Mario games crap?
Because the X-Box controller looks nothing like a GameCube controller? There is only so many standard designs for a controller that are functional. The GameCube/Xbox share the same basic format.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Did Yahtzee really have to use Wife Beater logic to express his relationship with Nintendo?

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Enlong said:
Oh wait, there is no confirmed title for the game yet. So it'll probably have a new title, just like each game since the first.

I figure it's likely to be similar to Spirit Tracks; a "sequel" that takes place in the same world, but generations later.
well there's a few periods of time between LttP and OoS/OoA, and between OoS/OoA and LA that aren't filled in.(after LA there is a huge timeskip but LttP/Oo?/LA link DOES make it to wherever he's going)

immediately after LttP link assists around hyrule and runs errands for the triforce (leading to him getting warped to holodrum and labrynna), and there's the short period of time after the oracle games where LA's backstory mentions him attempting to fight ganon again before setting off on the boat.

and then there's the fact that vaati is still alive in that timeline, it's possible that he manages to escape the four sword, and if the ending of LttP is to be trusted, Fi's Master Sword is never used again in that timeline (not counting the ones from the oracle games, since they are just regular swords made by ordinary smiths) so it would give us a legendary sword to use. (there's also Dethyl, the wind fish's nightmare, the final boss of LA is specifically stated to draw from link's memories, and dethyl's final form is the only creature that LttP link has never seen AT ALL, but it does look pretty similar to some of vaati's forms)

my theory is that it's either just after LttP and we deal with vaati breaking free, or just after the oracle games and ganon frees vaati, prompting link to find another way of killing ganon and starting LA

it's unlikely to be during the timeskip between LA and LoZ because during that time period, the royal family was actively using the triforce to keep the peace

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Well... Pleasantly surprised indeed. I think I may finally let you off the hook for Uprising, Croshaw. I honestly thought you were gonna gloss over this without doing a review because you didn't hate it enough, like you did for Sonic Colors.

But yeah, now that you weren't a totally unreasonable prick to my March-released, 3DS-based pick for GotY. Different game in a different March in a different year, but the principle still stands. Same 3DS though. Haven't gotten an XL yet.

(And before anyone jumps on me, Portal 2 was my pick for 2011.)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, Luigi's Mansion is just a big old ball of crystalized fun. It even helped get my non-video game playing girlfriend into video games (well, after playing Jak and Daxter a whole bunch), so nevermind that "casual gaming has to be stupid mini games" cliche. Hopefully by this time next year, the Wii U has some games as good as the library the 3DS has right now.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Because Fire emblem is sold out for a fucking MONTH where I live, I think I just discovered my next game!

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
It's an innovation of laziness and theft, that's what it is.
You do realise the xbox pad is based on the snes controller right?

:|

Not to mention the current consoles copying the wii's motion control...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Wow. Yahtzee enjoying a Nintendo game, haven't seen that in a while.

I just might get this game, it does sound fun.

Also, I have to ask: who is that bored looking guy with the curly hair you seem to use in almost every episode?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not getting into the Mario vs Luigi thing. I've always loved both brothers.
Anyway I had a feeling Yahtzee would be all over this one like jam on toast.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Yahtzee likes Nintendo games with strong characterization and polished core mechanics?

*COUGHFIREEMBLEMAWAKENINGCOUGH*

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I dunno if he'd like Fire Emblem much. Isn't he on record as not enjoying games with weapon degradation?

Then again, it's been a long while since that particular review.

Caramel Frappe said:
Yahtzee liked a Nintendo game?
Also he likes Luigi more then Mario?

Holy crap am I in some sort of DC universe that has gone a route with unexpected twists?
Ether way, this was a nice video and the humor made me chuckle quite a bit :)
Watch his video of Luigi and Mario: Bowser's Inside Story.

MYWA

Jan 23, 2013
Yahtzee liked a Nintendo game? Why are people acting like this some great revelation? He actually likes quite a few things Nintendo has done, if you've been paying attention. In fact, what I like about this review is that it's a kind of culmination of the pleasant attitude he's had toward not only Nintendo, but the Mario franchise itself.

Look, Yahtzee doesn't hate the Wii (and Wii U) because he hates Nintendo; he hates them because he thinks they're gimmicky and stupid. Yahtzee doesn't hate Smash Bros. because he hates Nintendo; he hates Smash Bros. because he thinks fighting games are shallow and uninteresting, Smash Bros. especially so. Yahtzee doesn't hate Super Mario games; he just feels they've become staid, overused nostalgia traps, however competently made. He doesn't hate Zelda games, only the new ones that don't add very much (he actually liked Wind Waker and kind of liked Twilight Princess). I could go on.

And even if he did hate Nintendo, there is ZERO evidence to suggest that he hates them as a company more than Microsoft or Sony (quite the reverse, actually). I just wish fanboys on either side would just shut up bitching about things so much. A large part of why I can't take the video game industry seriously is the fans.

On a related note, I definitely agree that Mario spinoff games are much more appealing than the mainstream titles these days. They're quirkier, more creative, got more personality, bolder art styles, better humour, more story...Hey, Nintendo, when 2nd party companies are doing Mario Bros. better than you, you're doing it wrong.

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
Copper Zen said:
Large amounts of homoeroticism and actually praising a Nintendo game...?

Yahtzee's having a midlife crisis, I think.
Or perhaps he's just afraid of getting burned by the PS4, NextBox, and women, so the alternatives are starting to appeal to him :D

And honestly, the way things are looking, Nintendo may be my console of choice this gen. At least they still care about making game FUN. Also, great vid! I always felt bad sacrificing yoshi for double jumps. Not bad enough to stop doing it, but still felt guilty.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Completely agree with the Gamecube controller, the only controller my hands love hugging. It's a shame the Gamecube didn't get more love though I reckon that's because it was competing against a giant with an amazing library.

And funnily enough I didn't want to buy the 3DS because it's so thin and sharp.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The innuendos in this video are strong.

Glad to see you liked it Yahtzee, guess the praise this game got are quite true, which happens not very often.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
You know...I'm really thinking that I should sell my Vita for a 3DS XL. I can play Zero Escape on the 3DS now, I really don't need portable Ninja Gaiden games, and I can sacrifice what Golden adds to Persona 4 in order to have Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, SMT games, etc. Not to mention that I wouldn't need to re-purchase my regular DS library in order to play them on the 3DS. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
"They're afraid to show that Mario doesn't like peas, in case they lose the entire pea-loving demographic."