Zero Punctuation: Mafia II

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
I liked the game, And even after this review im going to play it again at somepoint.

I really liked the games atmosphere and the storyline and didn't mind driving around. But it seems thats just me as most people just don't give a damn.

Also the game had some sneaking which i thought was cool, As were the brawls. Gunfights were especially treat, Since the "bossfights" (the few of them) were like a puzzle where you try to position yourself so you won't get shot and can headshot the one guy that is able to see you (i quess that sounds pretty bland but i enjoyed it).

Now about the ending. I liked it, i do understand why people hate it but i found it better than i anticipated.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Demo looked pretty lackluster, so I'm not surprised the game is. The video was pretty entertaining, though.

elpresidente

Feb 10, 2008
The major problems of this game can be summed under the abbreviation DLC. However, I still cannot understand why the developers of the game refuse to acknowledge, incorporate or accept water as part of the game world. They treat water as some instant death substance, that's apparently too hard to program. People jump in the water and instead of starting to splash around in comical manner they die instantly and their bodies accelerate to the bottom with free fall speed. Your car falls in the water and the game ends immediately. It really degrades the reality of the game they otherwise try to achieve so badly.
The other thing I didn't like was the lack of countryside. Although there's nothing that can't be fixed w...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
wooty said:
I'm still perched on the fence about whether to buy this one or not, and this review hasnt really helped me to jump to either side.
Well you could always rent it :)

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Can't say I expected too much from this game. Would've been better if it was set in Vegas when the mafia was more prevalent. Oh well theres always Mafia III.

Miniges

Aug 20, 2008
while playing this game a couple weeks ago, my brain was saying "This is what yahtzee will point out." I was basically 9 for 10 but I found Vito was a complete moron and was a terrible main character, something mr. C skipped by.

Also, that last joke would have worked if the video and audio were synced.

Youngy03

Sep 15, 2010
I was never really sold on mafia, mind you I wasnt really sold on on bioshock until I played it

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
phoenix352 said:
the sand box isnt a sand box its a city with nothing to do but steal cars and shoot people
Seriously? As in... That's it? No mini-games, no stunt jumps, no side-missions?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Loved the end XD hehe made me chuckle ^_^

Next week, im calling it now...Halo: Reach.

hitheremynameisbob

Jun 25, 2008
Furrama said:
This is going to devolve into a bunch of Candlejack jokes now isn-
It wouldn't if people would just do it right - it's not that hard. You don't put a hyphen or anything at the end. Candlejack ****ing kidnaps you, he doesn't stick around to

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I've heard it argued over and over that this game isn't "a sandbox" it's "an open world", but that still leaves me asking "what the fuck do you do with it"?
Also, funny that you should mention that part where you lose everything... I pressed reply 3 times to fight the guys that caused me all the pain and then took my sweet time stealing shit and planning revenge, then back to work.

Sigh.

orangecharger

Nov 13, 2009
misterprickly said:
What kind of "sandbox" game follows nothing but linear paths?
That just might have been the deal breaker on me buying this game. If can't horse around without being sent to bed without dinner, I am not sure I am keen.

DAOWAce

Aug 7, 2007
Country
US
Maybe it's already been mentioned, but the audio quality is worse than previous videos. Why is that?

I do hope it won't affect future reviews.

Thrair

Sep 21, 2009
Fairly good review. Although in some ways, some of the reviews (usually the generic FPS types) are feeling a bit stale, but that's partly because game developers keep making the same fat stupid mistakes every time. And there's usually enough spice in each one to be worth it despite this. But then I'm starting to ramble, aren't I? In summary, funny review and I look forward to next week.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Y'know.. This will anger the ZP fanboys but I honestly haven't seen much brilliant comedy gold from Yahtzee since.. Hm.. February 2010? I felt it's kinda been slipping in value, more on the "I don't care about this anymore" rather than "I'm writing these awesome jokes because they are brilliantly funny"..

This one though.. You have successfully regained my trust. First time in a loooooooooooooooooooong while that I burst into laughter this late at night at key moments of ZP. Well played, sir.