Zero Punctuation: Mafia II

civver

May 15, 2009
The review wasn't as funny as last time, but it is about as accurate as an atomic force microscope. There are significant dampers on fun, and it is priced way too high to be "interactive theater".

pwndnoob

Apr 8, 2010
mjc0961 said:
I love pretty cars and fast hookers!

I don't get one thing though: Mafia 2 gets blasted with the shit cannon because you have nothing to do outside the missions but look for playboys. And yet over here was inFamous, a game that gave you nothing to do outside of the structured missions (so story missions + clean up city missions) but look for electric rocks and satellite dishes, and it gets treated like one of the best games on the PS3. If anyone figures that one out, let me know.
I think its the "treated like one of the best games on the PS3" part. The PS3 doesn't have very many good games. It probably was one of their better games...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Was the ending a reference to The Sopranos?
I'm sure it kinda is.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I quite enjoyed this game, but I enjoyed this review more. The game is very repetative but the story is great. Although, Yahtzee put the predictability into perspective...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Hilarious and also perfect review, reflected my experience completely... funish game, but with too much wasted potential and shitty gameplay mechanics to embrace completely. And if the story was a river, Mafia 2 just skipped along the stepping stones of cliches. It's well executed, but that doesn't really make the story itself, the plot, good. I could see each chapter coming a mile away.

Also much agreed on the whole CRIME DOES NOT PAY thing, it's entirely unnecessary. It was great in the first game imo, because the story was fantastic and it executed that part well, you start out right away saying how you got into the life of crime and how you want out. Mafia 2 on the other hand just chucks bullshit at you. You can kill half the bloody city, blow up/set buildings on fire, steal a million cars, but
robbing one safe of nearly-expired gas stamps and you get 10 years of prison? Sod the fuck off really.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Fabian Stetter said:
Jedi Sasquatch said:
wooty said:
I'm still perched on the fence about whether to buy this one or not, and this review hasnt really helped me to jump to either side.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes Yahtzee tends to miss the good aspects of games.
You watch zp to decide if you buy a game? I just watch it for fun and fun it was^^ Otherwise you end up with maybe 3 games in 5 years, excellent games at least.
Well, no, I was just saying that I don't watch zp to decide if I buy a game, because like I just said, "sometimes Yahtzee tends to miss the good aspects of games."

NermanQ

Aug 11, 2010
Wow, I totally forgot about this game until I saw the review. Same thing with Kane and Lynch last week, I'm really off nowadays!

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Vrach said:
Hilarious and also perfect review, reflected my experience completely... funish game, but with too much wasted potential and shitty gameplay mechanics to embrace completely. And if the story was a river, Mafia 2 just skipped along the stepping stones of cliches. It's well executed, but that doesn't really make the story itself, the plot, good. I could see each chapter coming a mile away.

Also much agreed on the whole CRIME DOES NOT PAY thing, it's entirely unnecessary. It was great in the first game imo, because the story was fantastic and it executed that part well, you start out right away saying how you got into the life of crime and how you want out. Mafia 2 on the other hand just chucks bullshit at you. You can kill half the bloody city, blow up/set buildings on fire, steal a million cars, but
robbing one safe of nearly-expired gas stamps and you get 10 years of prison? Sod the fuck off really.
I think the length of the prison term was determined because gasoline was rationed due to the war.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
It seems that Yahtzee has run afoul of Candleja
Come on now, we all know Candlejack is merely a myth.

OT: I tried out the demo and felt underwhelmed. It was decent, but not wo

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Color me boring but the very things that Yahtzee takes issue with are the very things that attract me.

Just proves people are different and have different tastes. Funny how Russ Pitts' take on Mafia 2 and Yahtzee's are at the exact polar opposite opinions.

Thankfully the game universe has grown so much that we all have a fantastically diverse array of choices today. It is so great to be a gamer today.

And Yahtzee is far more enjoyable for me when he dislikes the game he's covering. He doesn't care for Mafia 2.

Hooray!

justjrandomuser

Jul 27, 2010
Great review, dumb game. Someone force Yahtzee into slave labor where all he does is reviews for the fan base! Oh wait sorry, I was reliving a dream again...

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Nice for entertainment, but like most of the reviews for this game, not really a review.

Think of it like going into Zelda: Wind Waker and critiquing it on it's puzzle abilities because it had a sliding puzzle. It gets a 6/10 because the puzzle was simple and there was only one. Reservoir Dogs gets a 4/10 because it's a shitty action movie. Machete gets 5.5/10 because it didn't hold up as a romance film. Get my drift?

Same idea when you critique Mafia II based on its open world environment and limitations. It's a simulation game, not a sandbox game. It simulates the life of Vito, a gangster in 1940s and 50s America. You want side missions? Why would Vito be doing side missions? He's a made man. Like hell is he racing around, doing dirty jobs for someone other than who he's told to do jobs for, or doing pretty much anything else. I'd say the trash compactor and robbing grocery stores is kind of lame in that respect; it should have only been included in that one mission where you have to get $27k.

As I usually say when I post a comment on these videos, I wouldn't mind so much if people took the "reviews" as what they are: entertainment. But the problem is that there's much more sheep on this site that take these as fact than there are people who can think for themselves.

justjrandomuser

Jul 27, 2010
Jedi Sasquatch said:
Fabian Stetter said:
Jedi Sasquatch said:
wooty said:
I'm still perched on the fence about whether to buy this one or not, and this review hasnt really helped me to jump to either side.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes Yahtzee tends to miss the good aspects of games.
You watch zp to decide if you buy a game? I just watch it for fun and fun it was^^ Otherwise you end up with maybe 3 games in 5 years, excellent games at least.
Well, no, I was just saying that I don't watch zp to decide if I buy a game, because like I just said, "sometimes Yahtzee tends to miss the good aspects of games."
Most of the time if Yahtzee doesn't at least half like it I'll stay away from it, but hey what can I say, I am sheep! I'd love for him to review Naughty Bear, it just seems like the kind of cutesy violence that he would have a field day with.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Alandoril said:
I think the length of the prison term was determined because gasoline was rationed due to the war.
Yeah, it's a federal crime, but it's ridiculous to put you in the can for 10 years for such a crime and then not lift a finger over all the murders, blowing up buildings and such.

It takes you quite a while to get into the mafia itself in the storyline as well and you're a bottom feeder all the way through anyway, so it's not like you have the protection from them with the cops.

In the first Mafia game, Salieri clearly tells you he's paying the cops off, but not to get stupid or they'll hunt you down. Since you're talking to the head of the crime family right from the start, it makes sense that he does his part in protecting you and making sure you aren't caught for your crimes, but in Mafia 2, you're not a mafioso, you're just an ordinary goon hired by the mafia. Even when you're accepted into the family itself, you're never even mildly important, all your jobs are done on your own and often even against what your superiors asked you to do. It just doesn't hold up.

It's also just completely disappointing at how irrelevant the main character and in fact, the whole story is. Again, first Mafia game, you're pretty much the right hand of one of the biggest mafia bosses in the city. In the second, you go around running whatever chore they throw at you at the first promise of cash. The missions rarely amount to anything bigger and when they do, they don't really make sense.

I mean think about it. You're running the mafia. You need to kill the head of another crime family. Do you really send just the regular asshole who spends his day selling cigarettes from the back of a truck? Again, first game you earn your respect. They don't give you much credit right at the start, but you show them you're capable and take notice of it and use it. Second game they just chuck random jobs at you.