Zero Punctuation: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, that whole "tilting the fucking thing that also has the screen you're trying to play the fucking game with" wasn't any good in Gravity Rush or LittleBigPlanet for PS Vita either. Just a tip to every developer ever: Keep your tilt nonsense on PS3 and Wii U. It's not any better of a control method when there are perfectly good analog sticks and buttons I could be using, but at least my TV stays in the same fixed place no matter what I do with the controller.

I mean if there's one thing I have to give the 360 credit for, it's not having any motion sensing bollocks built into its controller, meaning all of its games have to use proper input methods. Even the 3rd party ones that have motion sensing rubbish will be free of it on 360, ensuring probably the best version of the game unless they screw everything else up.

You know what the Wii Remote and PS Move are good for? Using the pointer bits for first person shooters, puzzle games, and strategy games (like Pikmin 3, for example). The motion stuff? Just get rid of it. And the 3DS and Vita don't have pointer abilities, just the motion stuff. So developers, please, stop fucking using it and get back to the damn sticks and buttons already.

LordTerminal said:
The game isn't even out yet in America yet Yahtzee's reviewing it anyway instead of Pikmin 3? That's it, I'm thoroughly convinced he's biased again and wants the game to bomb before it even comes out. Oh wait, that's right, I'm convinced he's biased towards anything that isn't a PC now.
Mario and Luigi came out July 13. Pikmin 3 came out July 27 (both dates for Australia obviously). Guess which one he's had more time to play and review? Hint: not Pikmin 3.

I mean, I hope you were just joking. But the internet has really killed my faith in human intelligence, so if you were joking, forgive me for assuming you weren't and pointing out release dates.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Yahtzee, the very end of that review was the hardest I've ever laughed at a ZP. Well done.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So, in effect, this newest Mario Brothers release confirms what I've been saying for years?

That being: The series is in desperate need of another quality release in the Paper Mario series.

Thinking about it, I'm tempted to crack out the old Nintendo64 and play me some classic Paper Mario.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Stabby Joe said:
As a side, I wonder if that last joke will go over the heads of those outside of Europe. Other news sources can be overly selective sometimes n some countries.
The sex scandal made sure it got all kinds of play here in the U.S.A.. Dunno about the rest of the world - what with being in the U.S. and all!

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
Pyrian said:
Stabby Joe said:
As a side, I wonder if that last joke will go over the heads of those outside of Europe. Other news sources can be overly selective sometimes n some countries.
The sex scandal made sure it got all kinds of play here in the U.S.A.. Dunno about the rest of the world - what with being in the U.S. and all!
I've had the same thoughts. I've been sick as fuck so I've been going through it and Thousand Year Door. Two of Ninty's best titles for sure.

I doubt we'll ever get another great one, though. Super Paper Mario was alright, but Sticker Star was a fucking abomination. Nintendo should be fucking embarrassed to have actually released that game instead of firing everyone involved in it's development.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
LordTerminal said:
Except I didn't even know he existed before I played TWEWY. I can't use that excuse now and considering he spoiled it before I got to even play it, now I'm not so sure I want to now that I know Bowser is the main villain again.

And usually I don't let Yahtzee's views on a game affect my decisions or my purchasing preferences.
I know I must be stereotyping here but surely it's not too surprising that Bowser is the main villain in a Mario/Luigi/Yoshi/Mushroom people game?

Although he spoiled the Bowser's Inside Story ending, which he managed to avoid in the review.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
RogueportJack said:
Pyrian said:
Stabby Joe said:
I've had the same thoughts. I've been sick as fuck so I've been going through it and Thousand Year Door. Two of Ninty's best titles for sure.

I doubt we'll ever get another great one, though. Super Paper Mario was alright, but Sticker Star was a fucking abomination. Nintendo should be fucking embarrassed to have actually released that game instead of firing everyone involved in it's development.
Based off of early trailers, I get the feeling like IS tried to make a Paper Mario game with everything we were expecting, but Miyamoto told them to sod off with things like "story" and "characters". And so we got Sticker Star instead, completely devoid of everything that everyone has ever liked about the Paper Mario series. So maybe it's Miyamoto who should be separated from Mario so other teams can resume doing interesting things with the characters.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I also really like this whole "Year of Luigi" thing. One of the main reasons why I want a 3DS is so that I can play Luigi's Mansion 2.

As for the review. I don't really have any relationship with the Mario & Luigi games. The idea of mixing Mario with RPG elements is a little bizarre. Still, I think Nintendo has been very good at handling the Mario franchise. Pretty much all the core entries in the series has been different, at least mechanic wise. Even if some of the games are a bit samey, they're at least always well polished.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
"I am Yahtzee of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
I don't think EA or Nintendo could stand up to the Collective. And so, it must be done!

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
freaper said:
Oh wow, a Berlusconi-joke in a Zero Punctuation episode. Never thought I'd see this day...
And now I need to go look that guy up. Good show, Yahtzee!

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Evonisia said:
LordTerminal said:
Except I didn't even know he existed before I played TWEWY. I can't use that excuse now and considering he spoiled it before I got to even play it, now I'm not so sure I want to now that I know Bowser is the main villain again.

And usually I don't let Yahtzee's views on a game affect my decisions or my purchasing preferences.
I know I must be stereotyping here but surely it's not too surprising that Bowser is the main villain in a Mario/Luigi/Yoshi/Mushroom people game?

Although he spoiled the Bowser's Inside Story ending, which he managed to avoid in the review.
He hasn't been the Final villain in a RPG game since Paper Mario.

Random7

Feb 8, 2010
Uh dude make up your mind. At the start you say you loved it then at the end you said you hated it.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Symbio Joe said:
"Gender swapped Berlusconi." Can this be a t-shirt? Plaese. I know it is a fleeting joke and not to many might get it but it caught me really off guard.
One of the funniest insults I have heard.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
You know, I'm not at all on board with this whole Year of Luigi thing. Don't get me wrong, I like Luigi, I like Luigi just fine; but I've always thought of the brothers as just that brothers, partnership. Kind of like Sam and Dean from Supernatural only without all the crazy angels and daemons and other monsters.
Then you'll love Luigi in this one. There are quite a few moments inside Luigi's head that really make him more of a loving and faithful brother than any other RPG appearance before. I don't want to spoil too much but I found the moments of him protecting Mario really heart-warming.

OT:

Yep, if you played BiS you don't need to play Dream Team because gameplay-wise it is the same game. However, it's still filled to the brim with charme and fun and glee and beautiful sprite work and it's worth playing.

Also, HAR HAR 'murrica we got it first 8D

Can we have Shin Megami Tensei IV now?! :c

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
TJC said:
canadamus_prime said:
You know, I'm not at all on board with this whole Year of Luigi thing. Don't get me wrong, I like Luigi, I like Luigi just fine; but I've always thought of the brothers as just that brothers, partnership. Kind of like Sam and Dean from Supernatural only without all the crazy angels and daemons and other monsters.
Then you'll love Luigi in this one. There are quite a few moments inside Luigi's head that really make him more of a loving and faithful brother than any other RPG appearance before. I don't want to spoil too much but I found the moments of him protecting Mario really heart-warming.
That sounds awesome and everything, but it's still not quite what I'm getting at. No what I'm talking about is like in the old cartoons from the late 80's and early 90's where, at least from my perspective, neither one of them seemed to take the spotlight and instead they played of each other and worked together as a team to stop Bowser's (aka King Koopa's) schemes. This is why I loved the GBA remake of Mario 3 because in that one you could play as both Mario and Luigi in single player alternating between them every time you either completed a level or died. This gave me the real feeling of that team thing I was talking about.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
They release average ones like this so you'll love the next slightly better one even more. If they were all good you'd be sick of them pretty quick.