Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
A1 said:
Telperion said:
I must point out that ME 2 is not an RPG. It's a 3rd Person Shooter fest with the lightest of possible RPG elements stacked on top of a good storyline.
Umm, do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?
As long as you don't go in expecting too much ME 2 is a very good game. So, ME 2 not being an RPG is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your own personal preference. Then again, as Yathzee pointed out ME 2 is not a great shooter either. The game tries to be a lot of things, but doesn't exactly shine in any one particular area, except in the storyline department.

I whole-heartedly agree with Yahtzee that the most of the side-missions can get awefully repetitive, and you can always guess when a gang of bad guys is going to jump you. Just look out for random stacks of crates, boxes, high pilars and whatnot. Basically anything that the game's cover system can stick to, and soon enough you will come under fire.
I especially loath this part of the game during one mission when Abominations and Husks seem to literally spawn straight out of the floor and rush at you in swarms.
The planet scanning minigame is also a major borefest, but unfortunately something that you have to go through. This seriously cuts down on the game's replay value, as you know what a chore you have go through going in a second time. Personally I don't know, if I even feel like giving the game a second playthrough. Never mind the achievements you can only lock with a second playthrough - I'm not that interested in them in the first place.

pcload1etter

Apr 14, 2009
daxterx2005 said:
Every time I come to a ZP topic....the first post is always banned because some twat thinks his funny to say "first"....
Way to go.
I think they should send someone to go punch that person in the face.

OT: I know resource mining was a bore, but overall I think ME2 was an excellent game. The "world" felt small through. There are random places for you to head to the surface and kill stuff, but you have to find them through resource harvesting. I took 2 days off work to play through the game and did spend far too long resource mining so that in my second play through I didn't want to do it at all and was looking for some cheat code so I could skip it on subsequent plays.

PC Version ftw.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Axolotl said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Axolotl said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Axolotl said:
Bioware games have good writing now?

Well they sure hid that in all the games I've played by them.
That's a nice business card you have there. I'm surprised you've kept it dry whilst living under that bridge.
What?
Professional troll.
Oh I get it now, since I have a different opinion from yours I must be a troll.

Well no, I'm not trolling Bioware games are not well written (at least none of the ones I've have been), they're badly written especially when compared to other RPGs.
I think theres a little confusion as to which of you is the troll...while I disagree with Bioware games being not well written (may I ask what RPG's have better writing in your opinion?) I would certainly not call you a troll for your opinion.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I hate to say "I called it", but, I called it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.175396-What-Yahtzee-will-hate-in-Mass-Effect-2?page=3#4974877].

Well, besides the "alien sex" bit. Just replace that with "sex".

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
I'm playing it though on Insanity difficulty with my 30 Infiltrator and so far the combat has been a lot more satisfying than my first run through on Veteran (even late game Harbingers were just just Heavy Warp, shot to the head, next). Mooks have minor armor or shielding for one, and you can't just rape them with biotics.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Suskie said:
In all seriousness, solid video as always. A little disappointed he didn't like it more, but obviously I can't say I'm surprised. I do like how he tried to make the fact that BioWare are known for good writing sound like a negative (and failed miserably).
Didn't like it more? If you compare to all other reviews, he basically gave this a 10/10.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
My personal opinion coincides quite well with Yahtzee's on this one. Generic reviewers have gone ape bonkers over this game, yet it is quite clear - as Yahtzee pointed out - that boring Mako sections got replaced with even more boring "peel the orange" resource mining. And number two in pointless time wasting isn't far behind: who on Earth came up with the inane idea to include "Memory-4-Dummeez" as a hacking subgame?

So I guess the ape bonkerzness came from the game's superb graphics, slick interface, sound Resident Evil 4-styled weapon system, gripping soundtrack, quality narrative (although there are some loopholes I'm not going into here), the seamless integration with the previous game and generally okay fighting scenes (still a bit too easy for my tastes, but oh well).

Personally, I do think going ape bonkers is the right attitude here, but with an added "but..." in there for the obvious and daft time wasters. So, definitely not ape bonkers all the way. Still, a great Action Adventure to purchase and I do want to see what's in store for us all in part 3.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Yatzee's being a bit overcritical of this one. The Mass Effect 2 gameplay is alot better than say Fallout 3's gameplay.

NostalgiaImitator

Dec 3, 2008
Funny, but honestly Yahtzee, there are multiple levels of difficulty and you need your AI on Hardcore and Insanity. Not that you really care for challenges it seems.

Also, you must have gone into the game thinking I must be either entirely bad or evil because I made a lot of Renegade choices but my dialogue and everyday actions were usually paragon so by the time I was banging Tali I had practically even and near full boxes on both (slightly more renegade)

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I didn't like this Zero Punctuation, although it did make some good points. It just wasn't funny, and that's the only reason I watch this. Hopefully next week is better.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
KillerRabbit said:
Suskie said:
In all seriousness, solid video as always. A little disappointed he didn't like it more, but obviously I can't say I'm surprised. I do like how he tried to make the fact that BioWare are known for good writing sound like a negative (and failed miserably).
Didn't like it more? If you compare to all other reviews, he basically gave this a 10/10.
Hahaha, yeah, that seems to be the approach most people are taking to this review. But there have been cases in the past (Infamous, Call of Duty 4, etc.) where he nitpicked but then admitted he was having fun. I'm wondering if this'll be a case like Uncharted 2, where his review isn't all that positive but he later admits to enjoying the game.

Didn't he attack Demon's Souls in his column for not having difficulty settings? And now he's complaining about an optional mechanic that's making the game easier for him, and he's complaining game's too easy? In a game WITH difficulty settings? Yeah, he's just looking for stuff to complain about.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
Sums up everything I like/hated with ME2. I can appreciate that. And Yahtzee's hatred seems to have lessened a bit for the series since the first one.

NostalgiaImitator

Dec 3, 2008
Xanyr said:
Good writing? So did you miss the humongous plot holes and failed characterization of the Reapers?
The writing and story were great. You are right that there were some plot holes in the sense of "how could he know that already" kinds. And as for mischaracterization of the Reapers...??? If you mean that they don't act like they should act then you can't make that call because their intentions and why they destroy all biological life still isn't clear. Theoretically they need fuel or tech. Or possibly they have some sort of twisted god logic in that they must destory life before it becomes to corrupt, decadent, evil, dark, like them, etc.

PapaJupe

Jul 31, 2006
Kind of sick of his schtick. Seriously, the guy has one trick. Its a great trick the first couple times you see it, but then it gets pretty tedious.

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...
Someone may have already said this but I'm fucked if I'm reading 191 posts after a 12 hour shift to find out but...

He's only got a few days to review the game, I'm fairly confident that 'easy' is a setting that will allow him to cut a swathe through the story fastest to cover as much game as possible.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Well, having played the game I can this...Yahtzee had given a fair review and it's kind of what I expected. By now most people now that he hardly ever gives a game a review filled with only praise, not to mention he has made a really good point.

The fact that Bioware got rid of the whole vechile section was good, but replacing it with probing was a mistake. Also, I can see his point with diffculty because on the normal mode the game is very easy, I only died because I pulled off a few stupud moves.

All in all, is a fair review for the game!

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
My idea for planetary exploration in ME3 was more along the lines of taking the Normandy itself down (or a shuttle), but jetpacks will do.

Also, he gives the game credit where credit is due - such as with the streamlined inventory system and absent vehicle sections.

And is it wrong to like the fact that Yahtzee and I chose the same specialization?