Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
yay he gave bioware props for thier writing. thats alwasy my favorite part of thier games.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
You know yahtzee could be the best game designer that idea he had at the end sounds really good, Damit i want it now.

"Hay! BioWare down hear!!!!!!!!!!!" "Good ideas"

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Intresting, seems you liked it as a game, just the mining bit, which i agree with SOOOOOO much. I also have to agree with the jetpacks idea, it is the future, why havnt we seen them yet in ME?!

Greenshoes

Aug 22, 2009
Good ol mister Gobblecoqhe, hadnt heard anything from that guy in a while. What happened to him anyway?

DrFecka

Dec 21, 2009
I totally agree. This games gameplay isn't that good though everything else is (kinda).

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
Now that was the video I was expecting!

He dedicated way too much of the review to the mining issue, but I can't say he is wrong. Mining in the game got boring for me after three hours, to the point where I put on my MP3 so I wouldn't fall asleep doing it. Great idea for the third part by the way, and since Bioware is listening I don't discard the possibility of exploring the planets using that jetpack he mentions XD I am not sure about the wolfs though.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Nicely done. Had a feeling that the resource management, combat and back-from-the-dead bits would all get their comeuppance as they have in every single review ever written ever for this game, but Yahtzee of course pulls it off with that curiously brilliant balance of keen observation and rampant profanity.

Also, "savior of the universe"? Wasn't there a review on these forums of the old Flash Gordon movie that included the song to which he's referring?

Naaah. I must be thinking of something else.

Xanyr

Saronite Chef
Dec 5, 2007
Good writing? So did you miss the humongous plot holes and failed characterization of the Reapers?

Mar 16, 2009
I agree... the exploration section should not have been dumped. I willingly visited every planet, got the Completionist achievement before I knew it was one... I was genuinely interested in what was on each planet. With the new system, I'm now joining the 90% percent of people who didn't give a damn about exploring from the last game.
They shouldn't have removed the vehicles altogether, they just had to make them not suck.

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
A surprising neutral review by Yahtzee, which means (as many of you have pointed out) he probably enjoyed the game.

It's not a game I'm particularly interested in purchasing. Maybe renting, but I dunno.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Ah this was good..i'm still Mass Effect so i can better prepare myself for this one..but i'm glad the driving the Mako part is out because i hate driving that thing It made GTA4 and Saints Row 2's driving mechanics look normal and that's saying something

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I know I'm in the tiny minority, but I didn't mind the Mako. I'd happily put up with the Mako and exploration instead of the survey minigame.

And I didn't mind the inventory management system in the last one. That being said, the joke (YAY!... BOOO!) he made about the new inventory system was pretty great.