Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
So, his only serious complaints were about the scanning and the fact that it's easy? (Although there's a simple solution for the latter, which goes by the name of "difficulty change".) The other stuff was plain nitpicking, he even confessed in that.

Wow. Looks like he really loved it.

Also, Yahtzee romanced Miranda instead of that annoying quarian = win.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
Awesome one Mr Yahtzee, I wholeheartedly agree with it all. Still love the game of course because, hey at least BioWare listened to SOME of the fans.

No more Mako? Done. Get it on with Tali and Garrus? You got it. Nitpicky weapons system? Goodbye.

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
Discrodia said:
Hafta say, the comparison to EVE was the funniest part of that one.

I mean, seriously, at least with EVE you can go do something interesting while you mine, in ME2 it's a freaking chore.
Oh yes you can pick between floating rocks or more fucking floating rocks, fun!

Anyways apparently after Dark Void Yahtzee developed some sort of jet pack fetish; can't rly blame him after playing Dark void myself I also wish ME3 have those instead of the ME1 and 2 missing systems

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
That's pretty much the same reason I resented the removal of the jeep section. Sure, its physics weren't the best, but it did add a great feeling of substance to the universe. Mass Effect 2 has its (slightly enhanced) shooting gallery doing all the heavy lifting and then he comes back to the ship to play with his model train set - good analogy.

dehavid

Nov 9, 2009
No complaint on QTEs? Who are you and what have you done with Yahtzee? That or he decided they worked in ME2. You didn't really need paragon or renegade to get mrs aids to take her top off, it was more so everyone survived at the end. Also, why the hell does shrink wrap exist?

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
You can tell he likes a game when all he can do is piss and moan about how the company did a good job. 70%: Not enough tits and resource mining, 10%: sniping rocks, and 20%: fine...you write a good story so fuck you for giving me so little to rant about.

Andante

Feb 17, 2010
orangeapples said:
I was never a fan of the "create your own adventure" games. I'm playing video games because I don't want to have to think about it.

now to find that ME2 seems to have lost the "game" part and has become a movie version of those "choose your own adventure" books.

and lets face it, those books were never well written.

c'mon video games, when will you become games again?

And more chest high walls? Real Heroes don't need chest high walls, and sometimes they will tear those walls down to kill their enemy. Samus, Link, Mario, Kratos, Wander, the marine from Doom; all of them and more have said NO to chest high walls.
Sigh, this only comes from people that have no experience in bioware games.

The thing is, yes the game sorta (very loosely) is like a choose your own adventure games.

THE THING IS... bioware has so much talent that even though you expect the story to be less compelling due to not having a "canon" path, they outdo everyone else in the market even when other developers focus on a single path/branch for their story.

Thats how damn talented/good bioware is, they are able to make something harder to do and do it better than another company that has a easier format to work with but does it worse.

For instance I've played tons of JRPGS (last remnant/lost odyssey/FF/tales) and I would have to say that Mass Effect/ME2 both delivered a story that is not only better but more engaging than those JRPGS which are "suppose" to do better since their main purpose is to deliver a set story.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I second the Jet Pack and Laser Wolf idea. A game can never too many wolves that shoot lasers. Fun review, as usual. Though I must admit, I felt the DA:O review was funnier, but fantasy RPGs are a little too easy to take potshots at I suppose.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
ShotgunSmoke said:
So, his only serious complaints were about the scanning and the fact that it's easy? (Although there's a simple solution for the latter, which goes by the name of "difficulty change".) The other stuff was plain nitpicking, he even confessed in that.

Wow. Looks like he really loved it.

Also, Yahtzee romanced Miranda instead of that annoying quarian = win.

Umm, I don't know if it's such a good idea to puts words in Yahtzee's mouth like that. Let's just wait for his next Extra Punctuation column.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Sorry, good writing can't save a game, good gameplay can save a game but since that's not the case with ME2 I won't get it, there I said it!

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Telperion said:
A1 said:
But at the same time the Mass Effect franchise is still somewhat lacking when it comes to gameplay, although most RPG fans probably won't care all that much.
I must point out that ME 2 is not an RPG. It's a 3rd Person Shooter fest with the lightest of possible RPG elements stacked on top of a good storyline.

Umm, do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Jetpacks would be an issue when exploring planets without an oxygen atmosphere. Because the fuel wouldn't be able to combust unless it used oxygen inside the pack intself, but then it would need to be huge.

noobyplasm

Dec 1, 2009
Could've used more work.About everything you said about the mining/mako bouncing can be found in *insert ME2 forum name here*.Everything else was spot on.