Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 3

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
You know something is up when Yahtzee, of all people, takes up a more reasonable response to the game than the squawking fanbase of the series.

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah the ending could have been worse, Maybe after you have chosen there would be nothing at all. Just credits.. And then the game would crash.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
marscentral said:
I missed the Mako. Once you got the hang of it's counter-intuitive controls, it was a laugh. I liked the pioneer feeling of being on a world that was nearly empty or even never visited by humans before.
++.

I adore the brightness and "get out there and explore" feeling of ME1 that the others are simply lacking. It's the reason I like ME1 the best.

(driving along) ******! THRESHER MAW!!!

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
L34dP1LL said:
Well I'm surprised about the fact that he didn't mention that not playing MP directly affects you in SP.
He doesn't usually play multiplayer in games with a single player (which is more or less why he always bashes multiplayer-oriented games which have an additional single-player campaign, like a number of fps's)

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Everything I've read/heard about Mass Effect 3 screams 'Matrix Revolutions' all over again. That movie left me completely unimpressed with its cheap attempts to evoke gravitas by killing old characters, holding the stakes as 'the fate of all humanity' and having a rather pathetic ending - and pretty much all of that seems to have been jammed into Mass Effect 3, and all the non-Yahtzee reviewers have eagerly gobbled it up and regurgitated it as 'an epic conclusion to the saga'. At least Zero Punctuation isn't blind to the kind of shallow emotional manipulation that passes for 'compelling narrative' in modern games.

cmdrmonkey

Apr 19, 2010
The ending was a bit lame, but it was nothing to have a crybaby meltdown over. Plenty of other highly regarded games have equally bad or worse endings. Bioshock, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and Fallout 3 prior to the expansions all come to mind. Even the venerable Half-Life 2 had an ending that would have been pretty damn depressing if they hadn't come along later with the episodes to elaborate on what happened. Yahtzee nailed it when he said "I've seen worse."

The ending of Mass Effect 3 is a symptom of a more general problem of writers these days knowing how to build hype, but not really knowing how to write a good ending. There are so many examples of this, like the Matrix Trilogy, the Battlestar remake, or Lost, where there's so much build up and everything just fizzles out at the end.

And for what it's worth, I still enjoyed the game itself. In some ways, I thought it was the best in the series. The shooting mechanics were much improved, and I'm glad all of the tedious inventory micromanagement from ME1 and the tedious planet scanning from ME2 are gone. In fact, my only big complaint was that I wanted to see the Mako tank make a return. I loved that thing and never understood all of the hate. But then again, I also played ME1 on PC where the controls are substantially better than on the consoles.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Maybe the ending of this week's Zero Punctuation was supposed to be disappointing and leave more questions raised than answered, just like the end to Mass Effect 3? :D

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Yay for not spoiling the story! I know I could have just not watched it but I would rather have it spoiled for me than miss a ZP, it'd be like standing over the toilet trying not to, well, you know. Damn it, now I'm doing Yahtzee jokes!

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
"You did say all life in the galaxy, right? Because they're leaving us alone." I haven't played the whole thing yet, but the first half of the game is everyone saying "Dude, we're dealing with the same shit, we can't help you." And you convincing them that Earth is extra super special. My big complaint about the game is that Shepard and everyone on the ship doesn't seem to realize that the aliens homes are being invaded too, so stop being so pissy when they don't help your planet out.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Blueruler182 said:
"You did say all life in the galaxy, right? Because they're leaving us alone." I haven't played the whole thing yet, but the first half of the game is everyone saying "Dude, we're dealing with the same shit, we can't help you." And you convincing them that Earth is extra super special. My big complaint about the game is that Shepard and everyone on the ship doesn't seem to realize that the aliens homes are being invaded too, so stop being so pissy when they don't help your planet out.
Actually, Thessia and Sur'Kesh aren't under full Reaper attack during the first half of the game. The Reapers are just "encroaching" on their respective species' space.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
The thing that kills me about the ending is that they're not making high art here.

They are making an entertainment product where the PRIMARY GOAL is supposed to be pleasing the consumers of that product.

Instead of even attempting to do this they kicked every fan square in the nuts (or ovaries, as the case may be) and destroyed 5 years of a franchise in 10 lazy, idiotic, totally fucking insulting minutes.

mschweiz

Oct 28, 2009
i just don't think that 4 days is really not enough to get a good scale of the game. and i disagree that it was more like a wimper, then again i was sucked into the series more than anything ever, so i maybe a little to forgiving.

PaganAxe

Jan 30, 2012
Soggy Toast said:
I have a feeling he didn't rip on the ending because he didn't want to agree with everyone else.
I like it better this way. I didn't want a whole minute wasted on the ending just to satiate those who think likewise.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
What? Could it be he didn't rip on the ending because, while the fanrage is not unjustified, the scale and venomousnous of it is completely bloody absurd and disproportionate and even Yahtzee isn't that much of a prat?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
L34dP1LL said:
Well I'm surprised about the fact that he didn't mention that not playing MP directly affects you in SP.
If he said that he'd be lying. Playing multiplayer makes it easier to get your effective military strength up, but you don't need to play the multiplayer.

However you should, because it's pretty fun.

AnonymouZero

Oct 23, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Mass Effect 3

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Mass Effect 3.

Watch Video
So i think every game "critic" has to say -Well, the ending wasn't so bad- nowadays. From Penny Arcade, to CAD, to zero now.... this is an annoying pattern, seeing as most gamers couldn't give a shit... but the will of the masses will slowly be swayed by these loud voices we so cherisly, foolishly, follow.

DarkPheonix13

Mar 22, 2012
I'm shocked that there was no mention of how many times you had to switch the disks in ME3. If you're someone who likes side missions (and I am.), then it was hard to tell when you had to switch. They only made you switch the disks in ME2 3 times that I counted. In ME3, I've already counted 6 times, and I don't think I'm halfway through the game yet. This breaks game flow, and takes away from the game as a whole.

Overall, from what I've played, I like ME3. I like how that the gameplay seems to move faster, BUT I haven't seen this "ending" everyone is talking about, so I might want to hold back on my full opinion of the game until then... To me, the ending of a game is supposed to be the climax, and in most cases, it's what makes the most impact on someone, and what most people will remember from their gaming experience, so if the ending is truly bad enough, it can ruin the entire thing as a whole.

Darkcerb

Mar 22, 2012
The ending at every stage of it expects you to believe characters teleporting around like a star trek crew and like a star trek crew pulls last minute crap right out of it's arse.

I can't accept sheperd suddenly becoming an apathetic puppet for a literal deus ex machina in the form of the "god-child" nor can I make my brain accept my crew would teleport to the normandy and they and joker would then flee just as fast as they could.

I didn't expect my shep to walk away from 3 intact so that any "happy" ending was already gone, but what I got was a color coded illogical mess that gave no answers. For an ending to a saga that every step of it's development we were told would have closure there's a remarkable lack of anything resembling it.

And then at the end it turns out your story is a tale told by a grandpa to his favorite grandson and that all you achieved not only made no difference to the ending but probably didn't happen the way you played it anyway.

Yahtzee summed the ending up perfectly in a short sentence that after harbingers beam the entire ending is a balloon slowly, squeakily letting out air as it just gets worse until a final farting noise.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
endtherapture said:
lord.jeff said:
I say all trilogy bashing is proven wrong simply by mentioning Toy Story, but outside of that if it's really so near impossibly hard to keep up a series past the first story, how do you explain TV shows, comics, and books then?
Lord of the Rings. The second film was the worst, first the best overall, and the third was the most emotional.
Actually, the second one did the best on rotten tomatoes.

Also, he didn't say that all trilogies were crap. Just most of them.