Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect Andromeda

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So was I just not paying attention when autistic started to mean retarded or have people always been using it like that?

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
An entertaining and informative video as always, but I feel like a certain point was missed, from the beginning of the video I get the impression that this takes place after ME3, and while it certainly does, as traveling to Andromeda is a slow matter, the journey itself was supposedly initiated before the entire Reaper crisis. That fact being misrepresented detracts a fair bit from the video, at least as far as I'm concerned.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
And now you understand why continuing a franchise directly isn't always a good idea.

Strange though. It should have been easy for them to figure whatv to continue off of based on I dunno, checking for a save file. And in the absence give the player a choice to pick.

As for the absence of Paragon and renegad...wtf

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Thanks for the video post! Lots of fodder to poke at with this game. I saw one of posts where they downgraded the FemRyder even further after the patch update which makes me wonder exactly what direction they are trying to drive their character development.

It will also be interesting to see how much and how well their patches address several of the player posted issues. I like the whole new frontier aspect and developing settlements. It will be interesting to see if the devs enhance it further or skip the already completed settlements and opt for other nearby planets.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
shinyelf said:
An entertaining and informative video as always, but I feel like a certain point was missed, from the beginning of the video I get the impression that this takes place after ME3, and while it certainly does, as traveling to Andromeda is a slow matter, the journey itself was supposedly initiated before the entire Reaper crisis. That fact being misrepresented detracts a fair bit from the video, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, he's wrong about that, but since ME:A pretty much avoids the ending to ME3 entirely it really doesn't matter either way. Since you never find out the "Cannonical" ending, I guess you're supposed to presume everything worked out fine.

Anyway, I get the feeling he didn't like it.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Dalisclock said:
shinyelf said:
Yeah, he's wrong about that, but since ME:A pretty much avoids the ending to ME3 entirely it really doesn't matter either way. Since you never find out the "Cannonical" ending, I guess you're supposed to presume everything worked out fine.

Anyway, I get the feeling he didn't like it.
Be that as it may, I'd say it misrepresents Bioware, makes it seem as if the choices we made in ME3 is entirely ignored. I don't really mind criticising the game based on actual flaws, of which there are more than a fair amount, but we really shouldn't conjure up imaginary flaws just for the heck of it.

Besides it feels like the game is getting an unjustifiably great amount of hate, I've played about 35 hours, and beside the occasional crash, some annoying unskippable scenes, the strange faces, and Cora Harper I don't have any complaints.

Jan 19, 2016
I've come to the conclusion that MEA is actually a fantastic thing. The game's many flaws and the drama surrounding it has provided far more entertainment than the game itself would had is not been such a cock up. MEA may fall by the wayside, but we'll always treasure the memes it gave us.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
my experience with the game so far is that bioware have managed to create a direct to dvd game thats jumping up and down screaming im AAA pay attention to me

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If Elon Musk wants to make any video game's future happen, it's most likely going to be Deus Ex. He's launching something called Neuralink, to connect human brains to computers.
Worgen said:
So was I just not paying attention when autistic started to mean retarded or have people always been using it like that?
That's a fair question; that bit in the video made me go "Wait, what?"

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
That was a fun review, gets me all smiling.

Regarding that.

I feel as if the Bioware fans are looking at the previous 3 games through rose-tinted goggles.

ME:A doesn't look any worse, nor any better than any of the other ME games, and the voice acting isn't a dip in quality either.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
MrFalconfly said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Regarding that.

I feel as if the Bioware fans are looking at the previous 3 games through rose-tinted goggles.

ME:A doesn't look any worse, nor any better than any of the other ME games, and the voice acting isn't a dip in quality either.
Dunno, I feel the faces/heads were a bit better in 2 and 3, at least as a whole. both Anderson and Hackett looked amazing, while most of the characters in Andromeda look rather plain, not really sure I'd be able to tell an important non-crew NPC from pretty much any other non-crew NPC.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
If Elon Musk wants to make any video game's future happen, it's most likely going to be Deus Ex. He's launching something called Neuralink, to connect human brains to computers.
Worgen said:
That's a fair question; that bit in the video made me go "Wait, what?"
Pretty sure people have been using it that way for a while. Though of course that doesn't make it any less confusing as to how it fits or why.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
shinyelf said:
MrFalconfly said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Regarding that.

Dunno, I feel the faces/heads were a bit better in 2 and 3, at least as a whole. both Anderson and Hackett looked amazing, while most of the characters in Andromeda look rather plain, not really sure I'd be able to tell an important non-crew NPC from pretty much any other non-crew NPC.
I don't.

The facial animations in the entire ME trilogy was just as wooden as it is said to be in ME:A. Eyes vacant, and face as stiff as plastic.

like this one from ME:3

And I've yet to see any characters in ME:A (including the much commented about, Director Addison) whose voice acting was as wooden, and phoned in, as Alistair's from DA:O.