Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Goldhawk777 said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Good review Yahtzee, and lol at the few jokes you've made about The sneaking around. Our guy cuts everything up like it was nothing and he just runs with noise echoing the halls.. How can he even sneak period let alone have to in the first place?
Dude you prove my point.
GrimHeaper said:
Goldhawk777 said:
Was I the only person who was slightly offended A) By Raiden's costume when he went to Mexico, or B) Every word or phrase that "George" (The only young character in the game), said. The translation and the broken english was a bit much. Way to be a solid stereotype...
Sterotype? He was anything but that. Also Sunny is another young character.
Now if you want stereotypical.
As for the costume those still exist.
Dude you prove my point. The problem with the media that is currently put into production around the world from a video game perspective often times reflects the thoughts of the game designers and their either biases and favoritism. Other people who see this game may emulate either through jest or through malice what they have seen in the game, and in the true world, that sort of behavior is frowned upon. Go back to Yahzee's Drug Cartel video, it was extremely awkward even for him through the video while he was dealing with stereotypical behavior. I'm not the crazy man on the mountain top preaching destruction and woe, but little things like this take me away from the game and from the story.
Except there are people actually like that.
especially kids.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
MGS deliberately fucking with us?

You're kinda 12 years too late to the party, Yahtzee. MGS was fucking with us ever since MGS2 due to relentlessly retarded fanboys crying for more Snake.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
CriticKitten said:
So you are proposing that Yahtzee's review is a shallow, relatively unfounded one that doesn't provide any genuine insight into the qualities or flaws of the game?
Yahtzee isn't a reviewer. He is a critic.

Good, glad we agree on this.
I'm glad that we don't.

Thankfully he's only a comedian and not an actual critic, or this would be sort of embarrassing.
How are being a comedian and being a critic mutually exclusive? If he were a reviewer, I could see someone taking issue, but he isn't.

Edut

May 26, 2009
I know this sounds like nitpicking and has been pointed out already many times. But Kojima didn't himself play a role in designing or writing the game. It was Platinum Games going all out with Raiden.

I totally agree with the lack of explanation of skills you can get. I bought all of them and in the end I had accidentally performed one of them.

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
It's probably been mentioned already in this thread, and I honestly appreciate that Yahtzee maintains his policy of going into games as "Tabula Rasa" as possible to judge them fairly, but Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace is not 'A Hideo Kojima Game'. It was directed by Kenji Saito and written by Etsu Tamari who are a couple of Kojima's protégées at Kojima Productions if I understand correctly. The Producer seat was taken by Atsushi Inaba of Platinum Games.

ronriii

Mar 15, 2013
Feral said:
As much as I like the Metal Gear games, I do wish it would calm the hell down. It's like each installment tries to out-stupid the previous one.

The other thing that is increasingly evidenced is that these games aren't really ironic, that they take themselves seriously, and we think they're doing it on purpose; cause no-one could create that kind of magnificent idiocy by accident.

What really points to this is a)no-one ever talks about Kojima with anything other than complete seriousness b)I really don't think the Japanese have the concept of irony
Seriously? You think MGS takes everything seriously? You mean to tell me, that all the little Easter Eggs that play around with the characters and all the inside-jokes carried throughout the series, were done because they were taking things seriously with nary a sense of intended humor or irony? Okay then...(also that last bit was just a liiiittle bit unnecessary)

As for Yahtzee's coverage on this, as much as I usually enjoy his stuff, I can't help but feel that he was a bit..... off when covering this one?

I don't mean that he was wrong to criticize it or anything, rather it just doesn't feel like his usual magnificent "taking a piss" routine. He seemed more confused and in desperate need of grabbing as much "negatives" just to find a way to do a quick stab at it. The blatant lack of any mention regarding Platinum Games was certainly a misfire on his part, and he comes across less as being witty/snarky and more confused/whiny about the Metal Gear franchise. It's little awkward that Yathzee mentions that MGR is taking a stab at itself with the final boss for the sake irony and "joining in the fun of making of fun of MGS". Uh what? If I recall correctly, the vibe of that final boss felt like it was the complete reverse, in that it was making fun of ALL the criticisms leveled at the series while slapping them back on our faces in the most over-the-top fashion like it was nothing at all ("NANOMACHINES, SON"). And it's also only NOW that he thinks that MGS is deliberately trying to screw with the players? Hasn't it been doing that in strides here and there since MGS2 onwards? (what with MGS2's blatant deconstruction of MGS1 and the spiteful tone of MGS4 in regards to nostalgia) I also thought that his stab at Raiden's overpowered-ness and inhumanity seemed a bit misinformed since the whole story was pretty much addressing this notion as Raiden methodically killed each and every one of his enemies (both the grunts and the bosses) while still struggling to try and maintain his humanity despite all the violence he had caused as well as his unwavering superiority against them (what with "survival of the fittest" being a huge theme in the game).

On a side note, I do like how the challenges that the bosses posed were accumulative in that you learn certain skills each time until it all comes together in the end for the final boss; truly testing your skills and what you've learned throughout the game. I recall that he rambled on about how DmC failed at this and rightly so (I also enjoyed DmC so don't get me wrong). So with MGR succeeding in exactly that it was a relief to hear that he at least acknowledged that even if it was somewhat of a passing mention.

While the game certainly takes itself seriously at times, MGR never felt like it was trying to be truly melancholic as he makes it out to be. Sure it had serious moments and self-reflection, but those moments of seriousness were often followed by moments of sheer empowerment, and in some parts, no-nonsense brutal ass-kicking (ass-slicing?). It was for this reason that when the OTT shiz started hitting the fan it still felt natural and not at all out of place ESPECIALLY for a game developed by Platinum Games. I don't know, while truly enough I really enjoyed this game, his coverage on this just comes across as being a little awkward (read: a bit behind and somewhat of a misfire) than what I'd usually expect from Yathzee since he could've chosen other more juicy parts of the game to either praise or criticize like hell.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I agree with part of Yahtzee's last statement. The Metal Gear series can't start laughing at itself now.

It can't start laughing at itself now, because it's been laughing at itself for years.

Case in point: MGS3. Not that I'm suggesting that it only started pointing at itself around that time, but it's just the easiest one for me to find examples in. To stay on the subject of Raiden, how about the many, many jokes at his expense involving the the easter-egg opening with the Raikov mask, Raikov himself, and the Snake Eraser video? Outside of that, we have SigInt seriously questioning Snake's fetishistic fascination with the cardboard box, a man whose super-power is being covered in bees, the theme music blaring over a particularly long ladder-climbing sequence...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Why does Yahtzee keep bringing up Sony? They dont own the MGS IP nor is MGR exclusive. And why doesnt Yahtzee know that Kojima had near to nothing to do with the game? I'm reminded of his MGS4 review where he complained about the EZ Gun... That you only have access to when playing on the easiest difficulty.

I dont know, i guess i'd expect someone whose job is to "review" games to know as least the bare minium about their history and the conditions in which they were made.

ChangeYourName

Feb 14, 2010
funny as always but yahtzee just doesn`t get action games nor the action genre as a concept... The moment kojima announced that the game was going to be developed by Platinum we all "got it"... I`m a long time fan of MG but I`m a long time fan of action games too... expecting stealth on this is also very... retarded, even though the game manages to implement stealth on a very fashionable way ... This game is insane, great character design, cool soundtrack (even though I would have preferred no vocals) and the gameplay is sublime...expecting a good script on an action game/movie is retarded...is like going to mcdonalds for a veggie soup...
Voice acting, I don`t know, I`ve played the jap version and it`s miles better than it`s english counterpart...also, white blood... on an aesthetic point of view is way better than red...and it`s also more "credible" since they are cyborgs (MGS 4 raiden blood) sam has red blood though... anyway, yahtzee should stop making reviews of genres he can`t play... it`s easy to point bad aspects of a game when you don`t know what you are talking about.
cheers

ChangeYourName

Feb 14, 2010
Enlong said:
I agree with part of Yahtzee's last statement. The Metal Gear series can't start laughing at itself now.

It can't start laughing at itself now, because it's been laughing at itself for years.

Case in point: MGS3. Not that I'm suggesting that it only started pointing at itself around that time, but it's just the easiest one for me to find examples in. To stay on the subject of Raiden, how about the many, many jokes at his expense involving the the easter-egg opening with the Raikov mask, Raikov himself, and the Snake Eraser video? Outside of that, we have SigInt seriously questioning Snake's fetishistic fascination with the cardboard box, a man whose super-power is being covered in bees, the theme music blaring over a particularly long ladder-climbing sequence...
AMEN to that