Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
excalipoor said:
Raiden also rhymes with Hayden Christensen, who played the role of a penis in the Star Wars prequels.
And since he really cocked up that performance, I guess we haven't left the penis jokes.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Today Yahtzee puts Metal Gear Rising: Revengence on the chopping block.

I will admit the games tone is schizophrenic, however as someone who is able to take the other MGS games seriously I thought that the schizophrenic tone was very appropriate for MGR given how over the top the game is.

And as for the final boss...FUCKING LOVED IT!!! The guy is so insanely over the top but damnit it's awesome. I'm actually surprised Yahtzee didn't like it since the guy is pretty much the embodiment of every negative American stereotype.

I agree that the game does a poor job of explaining the parrying system, in fact I would say that the game has a poor tutorial system overall. One thing that really irked me was that it does not tell you how to perform the combos at all. Not only that but apparently you start the game off with large amount of different combos and I didn't know I had half of them until I looked them up on IGN's online guide. And this was after beating the game once.

mjc0961 said:
Boo. Wish he'd stood his ground so we could have had a story that wasn't quite so poo. Maybe he could have stuck with that original concept of freeing Sunny from the Patriots, or just plain done something better than "everything you did in Metal Gear Solid 4 might as well have been for nothing because everything is the same minus the Patriots lol". Honestly, who the hell ever asked for a sequel to Metal Gear Solid 4 in the first place?
Supposedly the original team was constantly running into continuity issues with the original story concept. Another reason I heard was that after Platinum games was given the title it was decided that it would be better/easier for them to have the game set after MGS4. IMO, this makes sense. Having the game set after MGS4 reduces the chance of continuity errors and gives Platinum games a lot more room to maneuver. Also, when you consider the fact that Platinum games might not know everything about MGS canon, this was probably a good move.

Personally, I don't see how the events of MGR makes everything in MGS4 all for nothing. A world without the Patriots is already a huge plus and one of the MGR bosses makes a good point, "The Patriots didn't create the war economy, they just managed it". And if you really despise the story then just pretend it never happened. The story is self-contained enough that its relatively insignificant to the Metal Gear timeline.

MB202 said:
I recall hearing that Hideo Kojima purposefully made every Metal Gear game after Metal Gear Solid bad because he was continuously pestered into doing more games in the franchise.
HA, if that's the case, and I highly doubt it is, then the joke's on him. MGS3 is widely considered his masterpiece and Peacewalker is generally considered a good game. MGS2 and 4 are at worst split down the line with regards to how they are viewed by the fans. Seriously, I understand that the guys wants to move onto other things, but where do people keep getting the idea he's trying to sabotage every post MGS1 game?

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Zer0Saber said:
Yes, when you get to the end of the game it just goes completely bonkers batshit. I mean a real WTF.
Not any crazier than any other MGS game
AgentLampshade said:
So, did he not know Platinum Games did most of it?

Oh, and I have to offer DmC an apology. I got on its back for its excessive swearing, but Rising did the same thing.
MGS always had swearing it just wasn't as noticable in a 50 hour movie.
DMC not so much.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Marik2 said:
I'm gonna say something stupid, but isn't Raiden suppose to be a parody on gamers since the beginning?

He was a whiny guy (just like some players) and then turned into a grim dark tries too hard to be cool guy(what marketers think people want)

Could be giving too much credit to Kojima
Definitely giving way too much credit to Kojima. So much so, that I'd say you're giving infinitely too much credit to him, because that's probably the inverse of what he was thinking.

Goldhawk777

Jun 3, 2010
Was I the only person who was slightly offended A) By Raiden's costume when he went to Mexico, or B) Every word or phrase that "George" (The only young character in the game), said. The translation and the broken english was a bit much. Way to be a solid stereotype...

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Goldhawk777 said:
Was I the only person who was slightly offended A) By Raiden's costume when he went to Mexico, or B) Every word or phrase that "George" (The only young character in the game), said. The translation and the broken english was a bit much. Way to be a solid stereotype...
Sterotype? He was anything but that. Also Sunny is another young character.
Now if you want stereotypical.
As for the costume those still exist.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Zetatrain said:
MB202 said:
I recall hearing that Hideo Kojima purposefully made every Metal Gear game after Metal Gear Solid bad because he was continuously pestered into doing more games in the franchise.
HA, if that's the case, and I highly doubt it is, then the joke's on him. MGS3 is widely considered his masterpiece and Peacewalker is generally considered a good game. MGS2 and 4 are at worst split down the line with regards to how they are viewed by the fans. Seriously, I understand that the guys wants to move onto other things, but where do people keep getting the idea he's trying to sabotage every post MGS1 game?
The way I understood it the only MGS game he tried to "sabotage" was 4. MGS1 and 2 were both what he wanted with MGS taking Metal Gear to 3D and MGS2 deconstructing MGS1. He wanted to pass it off there and as I understood it leave MGS2 as it was so that people could interpret the events as they saw it. However fans whined, so he worked on MGS3, a prequel, to give people more MGS and expand on the story without compromising MGS2's ending. However they still whined. So Kojima relented and made MGS4, nanomachined everything that he wasn't ever actually going to explain before and killed off Liquid, Ocolot, Naomi, Big Boss, Solidus and Snake so people would finally shut up.

Goldhawk777

Jun 3, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Good review Yahtzee, and lol at the few jokes you've made about The sneaking around. Our guy cuts everything up like it was nothing and he just runs with noise echoing the halls.. How can he even sneak period let alone have to in the first place?
Dude you prove my point.
GrimHeaper said:
Goldhawk777 said:
Sterotype? He was anything but that. Also Sunny is another young character.
Now if you want stereotypical.
As for the costume those still exist.
Dude you prove my point. The problem with the media that is currently put into production around the world from a video game perspective often times reflects the thoughts of the game designers and their either biases and favoritism. Other people who see this game may emulate either through jest or through malice what they have seen in the game, and in the true world, that sort of behavior is frowned upon. Go back to Yahzee's Drug Cartel video, it was extremely awkward even for him through the video while he was dealing with stereotypical behavior. I'm not the crazy man on the mountain top preaching destruction and woe, but little things like this take me away from the game and from the story.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
Marik2 said:
I'm gonna say something stupid, but isn't Raiden suppose to be a parody on gamers since the beginning?

He was a whiny guy (just like some players) and then turned into a grim dark tries too hard to be cool guy(what marketers think people want)

Could be giving too much credit to Kojima
Definitely giving way too much credit to Kojima. So much so, that I'd say you're giving infinitely too much credit to him, because that's probably the inverse of what he was thinking.
I don't know it just seems something he would do since he likes to troll a lot

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Good review Yahtzee, and lol at the few jokes you've made about The sneaking around. Our guy cuts everything up like it was nothing and he just runs with noise echoing the halls.. How can he even sneak period let alone have to in the first place?
While the game is very fun and satisfying, I would have preferred the original concept that they were trying to do with Rising

Taken from wiki
It was originally conceived as an interquel that would chronicle the series of events that resulted in the transformation of Raiden into his cyborg ninja persona in Metal Gear Solid 4.[13][17] Rising would have taken place during a point in the series' chronology at which Raiden had already begun his transformation into cyborg form, albeit with a different and somewhat more crude appearance from the one seen in Metal Gear Solid 4.[39][17]

Kimura stated that Rising would carry on the series tradition of encouraging players to progress through the game without killing, noting that there is a moral difference between attacking cyborgs or robots and attacking human beings, and that there is a "certain virtue to simply disabling your enemies instead of killing them."[13] While it was considered important to give the players freedom to do what they want Matsuyama indicated that players would never be rewarded for killing human opponents, and that the game would be designed so that players would never be forced to do so.[47] Specifically, the game's stealth elements would have emphasized Raiden's considerable speed and agility through what Matsuyama describes as "hunting stealth." Unlike the stealth of previous titles, in which players remained hidden and avoided combat, players in Rising would instead quickly stalk their enemies and use acrobatic maneuvers to stay out of sight while closing in. This ties in with the game's zan-datsu feature, allowing them to prey upon enemies to obtain weapons, items, and energy.[47] Kimura noted that he wanted Raiden to be able to move like he did in the Metal Gear Solid 4 trailers, and to show "the stealth of the sword, and the strength of not even losing to the gun, and the fear and power you have with this blade."[17]

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Another great episode Yahtzee! As for the game...

Very cheesy dialogue from what I've heard and seen footage of, but it's all in good fun.

Maybe, just maybe, we will see this game ported to the PC (like they said they will, but they seem to have forgotten that) so I could give it a try as well.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I also had doubts as to weather or not revengance was a word

also raiden looks fucking stupid....just saying

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Posts link proving that they do rhyme, but gives in to Vivi's incorrectness and agrees that they don't rhyme.
Don't you facepalm me! I'm not agreeing, I'm letting it go. Because I'm a big boy now. AND BECAUSE I JUST DON'T FEEL THAT STRONGLY ABOUT RHYMES.

Four posts in this thread, and a dick joke is the only one with any relevance to the topic. I'm so proud. Let me get this back on track: rhyme rhymes with lime, and that's Yahtzee!

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
What's funny is how original Devil May Cry fans are praising Platinum for this game, while still hating on DmC. I say 'funny' because many of those fans were unhappy about the possibility of executions and QTEs slowing down gameplay in DmC... Rising had all that, AND the swearing and stupid get ups, yet no one complained. Funny, that. I loved the game, but the plot was pretty iffy. For a Metal Gear game, it was going fine until the end... Then everything just kind of went to shit...

...Nanomachines, son...

Despite being in the Metal Gear universe and being canon, Kojima was only a producer and a 'supervising director.' I love the guy, but he's getting entirely too much credit for a game he didn't really have all that much to do with.