Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Multiverseman said:
Any major spoilers in this review?
Not really. Mostly just gameplay quirks and base management stuff.

I've never really followed this series, but this game doesn't look too bad. Maybe after a few inevitable patches and a good Steam sale I might give it a try.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
J.McMillen said:
I've never really followed this series, but this game doesn't look too bad. Maybe after a few inevitable patches and a good Steam sale I might give it a try.
Patching might not be neccessary, it actually runs surprisingly well on PC's. At least my PC. The price point is understandable though...

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
C117 said:
Patching might not be neccessary, it actually runs surprisingly well on PC's. At least my PC. The price point is understandable though...
Except for the possible game breaking bug of using Quiet as a buddy in missions 29 and 42.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
superline51 said:
C117 said:
Except for the possible game breaking bug of using Quiet as a buddy in missions 29 and 42.
As I said, after a few inevitable patches...

C117

Aug 14, 2009
superline51 said:
C117 said:
I never said it was perfect :p

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Multiverseman said:
Any major spoilers in this review?
Only that the last mission is to infiltrate the Mokani headquarters, save someone called Kodeo Hijima from there and blow the place up.

Catasros

Dec 9, 2013
All I'm really left wondering now is as follows: Is it possible to play play this game and understand what's going on if this is one's (read: "my") first venture into the MGS-games (disregarding Revengence) and would it be worth the pricetag?

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
Catasros said:
All I'm really left wondering now is as follows: Is it possible to play play this game and understand what's going on if this is one's (read: "my") first venture into the MGS-games (disregarding Revengence) and would it be worth the pricetag?
I'd like to know this as well.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Catasros said:
My take on Metal Gear series is that even if you've played all the games, it's kinda difficult to understand what's going on. The only possible way to enjoy them is to turn off your brain and just roll with it, never asking questions when something doesn't make sense. If you're not the sort of person who can do that . . . well, tough luck.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Soooo not a 10/10 then?

Yeah, I find it quite hard to distinguish between Ocelot and Not Ocelot during the briefings, cassette tapes, etc. That's one annoyance. But the rest is just great game!

And yes, you new people should be fine playing this. It's been a while since I picked up a MGS game, and it plays well as a stand alone. If you really want back story, you can listen to the audio tapes and the conversations in your base.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Catasros said:
BrotherSurplice said:
Yes....and no. On it's own merits the game is excellent and worth playing. It has a stealth system which should set the bar for any stealth games to come. The game uses audio logs to give you the preceding story of Big Boss (Snake) but only /very/ lightly. On the one hand, the game has considerably less and smaller cut scenes than any other games in the series to the point of the same length of cut scenes as you'd have in an FPS game so the story isn't at the forefront this time.

However, you will miss out on a lot of the nitty gritty and reference material. Most characters know each other, will act accordingly and although the story is more or less self contained, reasons for doing things would seem unclear to someone who hasn't played the series before now and some things will just mean nothing. You will understand the story that is presented within the game, but it is part of a much larger story, which you wont.

I'd recommend picking up a copy of the MGS HD collection which will get you up to speed on Big Boss story (Snake Eater and Peace Walker which are excellent games). Its bound to be quite cheap now.

But I will say, it's the final and 7th entry in a series(Or 4th entry in Big Bosses part). Much like books or films, I question why you'd even attempt to jump onto something at the 7th installation, much less the final one.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Reminds me of a Warhammer 40k audio drama that was a growlly shouting match between a World Eater and a Flesh Tearer. Every other line was a scream of rage/denial and while one Marine spoke the other growled and snarled. It was very silly.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
BrotherSurplice said:
Catasros said:
I too would be interested in an answer to this. Metal Gear was never a series that I was terribly invested in, but this one looks interesting.

Also to the review, "Grim Growly Men Growling Grimly" made me chuckle. Well Done Yahtzee. :)

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Good video, just one point to make, you don't actually have to go back the helicopter to start missions, you can start the missions and go to the start point while in free roam at anytime. Personally my only gripes with the game are from the lack of dialogue from Big Boss, you seriously couldn't get a few more lines out there from Sutherland? BB is almost as mute as Quiet. Not really a big fan of mute protaginists at all, especially one that is important to the overall story of the whole franchise as BB.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Catasros said:
Well spoiler from the prologue to tell you the kind of story we're dealing with
A fire-whale eats the helicopter trying to kill you before a man on a Unicorn starts chasing you

I have been informed by long-time fans that this makes exactly as much sense in context

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Enough with the dick jokes already, they're the white noise of comedy at the expense of MGS.

But what the fuck is with the loading times? Do the MENUS have to actually load like that?

Symion

Aug 30, 2012
Catasros said:
Having done just about every major thing inside the weird world of MGS except end Peace Walker (My PSP died but I'm emulating it as we speak). My answer would be that the only building block that you are really missing is MGS3 as long as you play Ground Zeroes and to a lesser degree: Peace Walker.

Firstly: Story-wise, the series starts at MGS3 (Yes, that's a bit confusing and Kojima wanted to change the naming for 3 to fix that but Konami wouldn't let him). Secondly: It sets up a great deal of Big Boss' motivation for building his own PMC.

After MGS3 is Portable Ops, and Peace Walker specifically has Kaz tell Big Boss to "Fuggetaboutit" as it relates to the events there so think of that as just some pissing match between the Pentagon and CIA that Big Boss got involved in.

After PO is PO+ which is not story driven at all and is jut a refinement of PO's gameplay.

After PO+ is Peace Walker, which does have story elements that lead directly into Phantom Pain such as why Paz and Chico are relevant but the character dialog and audio tapes can catch you up on a great deal of that as well.

Gameplay-wise though: MGS5 is setup with some the least story of any major MGS so you can dive in and ignore the story if you want.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Cid Silverwing said:
Enough with the dick jokes already, they're the white noise of comedy at the expense of MGS.

But what the fuck is with the loading times? Do the MENUS have to actually load like that?
Its the online connection that causes the delay, for some reason changing tabs in the menus sends data to the cloud or something, probably rankings and save data most likely. If you go offline the delay disappears completely.

carewolf

Jan 10, 2015
BrotherSurplice said:
Catasros said:
Yes and no. That is, to the same degree as everyone else. The plot is not exactly coherent.