Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
thanatos388 said:
This game basically plays much like a Splinter Cell game now. No more hold square to draw gun, let go to fire.
Yeah, but grabs / stealth kills still sound awkward as hell. I don't know how many times I've accidentally flipped over a guard when I meant to knock him out in MGS 1 and 2.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That take down and thrashing of Konami...words could not have been used better to describe what they have done. I laughed so hard.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Spartan448 said:
Aaaand this is quite possibly the mindset that resulted in MGSV being a bit of a hot mess as far as Metal Gear games go. On the one side we have people like you who wanted an incredibly story based game and are happy as long as Psycho Mantis fucks with your mind, Ocelot twirls a revolver, a Metal Gear shows up, and you get to control punching someone in the face at some point. On the other side, you have also a significant part of the fanbase and not to mention almost every major reviewer universally panning MGS4 for being way too much cutscene, way too little gameplay. And those two factions were about equal in size. Which is why I think that Kojima went with the episodic/audiolog style of delivering story - executed right, it really would have been the best way to cater to both parties. And given more time, MGSV could have been the greatest game of this generation.

Unfortunately, before that could happen, Konami's CEO decided to go batshit insane and fire the project manager halfway through the project.
Quite right. It's the classic; If you try to please everyone you'd end up pleasing noone. For an almost no win situation I think the game does well. I'm barely 5 missions in and I'm having fun just goofing off.(the curse of open world games or just my own mindset.) The game is fun, there's plenty to keep you busy and things to do. Side missions and just optional objectives to make missions worth replaying. I have played all the MG games except PeaceWalker and Revengence.(Didn't finish 3&4) Story wise this one recaps things quickly with tapes and conversation. Not much missed there, but this is a story of simple revenge. They tried to kill you, they killed your friends, and destroyed your base; make them pay.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
zelda2fanboy said:
thanatos388 said:
This game basically plays much like a Splinter Cell game now. No more hold square to draw gun, let go to fire.
Yeah, but grabs / stealth kills still sound awkward as hell. I don't know how many times I've accidentally flipped over a guard when I meant to knock him out in MGS 1 and 2.
It's actually not that awkward in action. Basically, just hold the button to grab on to someone, or tap repeatedly to knock someone out.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
zelda2fanboy said:
thanatos388 said:
None of the controls resemble that of MGS1-3. You just hold R2 to hold an enemy. Mash it to attack them. Mash while sprinting to throw them. Yahtzee was way over exaggerating when he said the controls were awkward. Interrogating is a two button process. It's not like MGS3 where you try to interrogate someone and end up slitting their throat for no reason.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Michael Prymula said:
Aiddon said:
The thing is I can't help but feel the further into his career he got the more Kojima was trying to FORCE eccentricity instead of just being eccentric. The character Quiet is especially egregious as she just comes off as Kojima going "Pay attention to me!" Of course I also can't help that this is compounded by his recent insecurities and constant gushing of Western tech thus he tries to reconcile that by trying to also make them grim and gritty which just results in tonal shifts not by design but by incompetence. Overall, Kojima wasn't doing his best work anymore and the Phantom Pain really is just pointless.
I can understand not liking the game, but calling it "pointless" makes no sense at all.

Well every game since arguable 3 has been pointless and this game is the most egregious.

Will Big Boss successfully build Outer Heaven? Why yes, we knew that from the very first game in the series from the 80s.

And hell what about the 3 major protagonists?
MGS 1 and 4 spoilers (Games from seven and 17 years ago by the way)
Big Boss?
Dead.
Miller?
Dead.
Ocelot?
Dead.

We already know how this story ends. This is just a pointless chapter to connect the story of Big Boss to the first game when the ending of MGS3 told us everything we need. So what if some Skullface guy wanted to kill him along the way? We know he wont do it in this game because we already know where this road ends.

From the story perspective this is a prime example of milking a franchise. And its not even very entertaining on its own. Good thing the gameplay itself is more than enough to make up for it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
thanatos388 said:
Well every game since arguable 3 has been pointless and this game is the most egregious.

Will Big Boss successfully build Outer Heaven? Why yes, we knew that from the very first game in the series from the 80s.

And hell what about the 3 major protagonists?
MGS 1 and 4 spoilers (Games from seven and 17 years ago by the way)
Big Boss?
Dead.
Miller?
Dead.
Ocelot?
Dead.

We already know how this story ends. This is just a pointless chapter to connect the story of Big Boss to the first game when the ending of MGS3 told us everything we need. So what if some Skullface guy wanted to kill him along the way? We know he wont do it in this game because we already know where this road ends.

From the story perspective this is a prime example of milking a franchise. And its not even very entertaining on its own. Good thing the gameplay itself is more than enough to make up for it.
3 and 4 at least had some purpose. The former really gave us an expansion on Big Boss and made us realize what had driven him down the path to wanting soldiers to no longer be used as mere pawns in the games of countries. 4 wrapped up the saga and gave everyone closure. Everything else since then...hasn't done anything meaningful for the series. They're just there not really doing anything except making things even more convoluted. Nothing more needed to be said and yet Kojima just wouldn't leave it alone. It just got tiring

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
A little disappointed that the story seems to be in the background, since this is the reason I was considering buying it. In a sale, later.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
Couldn't agree more with the codex.
In the other games they were used to give personality and emotion to snake and his team.
The tapes however are just men talking gruffly, lacking any real passion and with the sole purpose of providing back-story.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Part of me really wants to play it, but then I look at the environments and everything seems look almost exactly the same. Sure, it looks nice, just really plain. I love the exploring aspect of open-world games and this world just doesn't look all that interesting. I realize that's not exactly the point of the game, but for me, if you're going to do open world, make it interesting.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
zelda2fanboy said:
thanatos388 said:
The controls are basicly Splinter Cell, you then have some more advanced inputs you can use like if you are prone you can roll sideways.
I too never liked the controls of Metal Gear Solid (except the first one since it never required the player to do much in terms of controls) but this one looses all the quirky bullshit and is as straight forward as it gets.

The story is also kind of there for the most part, you have a shitload of side-ops that are basicly as one would expect on a game like Ghost Recon Wildlands, keeping it rather "crazy" free. Then even the main story missions are usually normal with some moments where things start going weird and everyone is like "Oh shit, Boss, what the fuck is that!?"

Really, for anyone into Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon this is a really good game and if you dont like the weird stuff there is still a lot of content that doesnt touch on it.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
A fairly positive review from the likes of Yahtzee - mostly nitpicks about the UI.

From the Let's Plays I have watched (as I stuck so bad at action games), story-wise it seems pretty typical of the MGS series. Not sure what everyone above is going on about.

This is probably Kojima's Magnum Opus (and Swan Song) for the MGS series - and unlike with MGS4 he didn't have to spend time tying up all the loose ends (as it was literally the end of the story) resulting in "too many cutscenes" complaints.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Lulzy episode.

But it's tinged with sadness because this is in all likelihood the last MGS game yahtzee will ever make a video about :'(

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
It's actually really easy to tell miller and ocelot apart. If it sounds like an asshole, its Miller.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Frankster said:
Lulzy episode.

But it's tinged with sadness because this is in all likelihood the last MGS game yahtzee will ever make a video about :'(
Don't you worry. I'm sure Konami will put out more sequels.

Just like the Silent Hill games.

And you can bet that they will look at the work and care that the old creators put into the old games, ignore it and farm the games out to the cheapest, laziest western developer that accepts.

Just like the Silent Hill games.

Can't let that cash cow die gracefully without a few more futile milkings.

Look forward to Yahtzee's review of MGS:panchinko Pain.